• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

^^ For a streaming service that pretty much has most of its content from only one major movie studio for the most part (even without the FOX contributions), it's surprising how many horror movies are on there and that most of them are actually decent too.

They've also got the majority of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Had to do some actual searching to find those movies, but really cool. The only movie missing is the 3rd one. I've only seen the first movie, and Freddy vs Jason, so I'll be watching the whole series at some point.

Also on there is the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep. It's listed under Extras for the main listing of Doctor Sleep. Definitely have to watch that too.

Btw, just checked and for all four Alien movies, all of the extended Director's Cuts for each movie is available so that's a nice bonus on top of the theatrical cuts.

Last edited:
Just curious guys, what is your favorite movie that is available on HBO MAX?
And did you watch any movie on there, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER?

I saw Dune, for the first time ever, on HBO Max a few months ago...and of course WW84 and The Little Things.

Looks like quite a few new DC-related arrivals coming up soon on HBO Max (from Everything Coming To HBO Max February 2021). Lots of other non-DC stuff posted in that link too.

2/1:
Tim Burton's and Joel Schumacher's Batman movies
Batman: The Brave and the Bold [2008]
[DCAU] Justice League and JLU

2/5:
Aquaman [2018]

2/15:
Static Shock
The Batman (unclear what this is, possibly the 2004 animated series? I'm guessing it is)

Just curious guys, what is your favorite movie that is available on HBO MAX?
And did you watch any movie on there, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER?
I just watched Blood Simple for the first time on there. So the Coens were just always that brilliant, huh.

Also watched Throne of Blood for the first time. Well, I thought it was a re-watch, but turns out I had it confused with Ran, lol. It was great though.

EDIT: Forgot to include my favorite movie on HBO Max, which is Fritz Lang's M.

Last edited:
They really need to take advantage of all their sequel properties they have and have a "franchise" section.

The other day I sat down and just browsed the whole catalogue of films. Was pleasantly surprised by the selection. I completely forgot HBO Max had access to The Criterion Collection, and was happy to see some of my favorite stuff, especially Eyes Without a Face. It's easily in my top 5 horror films. A very tense, but beautiful French film. Highly recommend.

My buddy and I have been making our way through the Godzilla films. I wish they'd lump them all together to make them easier to find. Also, I wish there were an option to choose between a dubbed or subbed version. Thankfully my buddy owns a bunch of them, so we can switch over if necessary. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla just works so much better when it's dubbed lol

I watched half of Little Things, i didnt think it was bad, but not particularly engaging either. Also am i the only one who feels Rami Malek was miscast? He does not fit this role/movie at all.

Last edited:
I watched half of Little Things, i didnt think it was bad, but not particularly engaging either. Also al i the only one who feels Rami Malek was miscast? He does not fit this role/movie at all.
Malek was VERY miscast, imo. But then, I find him to be overrated in general. Weirdos like his character from Mr. Robot are the only character types he works for, imo. I didn't like his Freddy Mercury, either.

I cannot possibly picture Little Things doing even remotely well in theaters under normal circumstances. This must have been someone’s pet project and whoever it was i hope they got it out their system lol

Rami Malek was definitely miscast, but I also think getting the director of The Blind Side and The Alamo to do a 90 esque serial killer film was a huge mistake as well and I actually like most of John Lee Hancock's films, but he wasn't a good fit for it at all and it shows.

I cannot possibly picture Little Things doing even remotely well in theaters under normal circumstances. This must have been someone’s pet project and whoever it was i hope they got it out their system lol
I’m pretty sure it was just the standard January dump movie, lol. Like, unless I'm mistaken, this movie isn't one of the many that was pushed back - I believe it was always scheduled for this January. And (aside from the Oscar-bait from the previous year that's getting a slow rollout) January is typically a cinematic trash dump. :hehe:

I’m pretty sure it was just the standard January dump movie, lol. Like, unless I'm mistaken, this movie isn't one of the many that was pushed back - I believe it was always scheduled for this January. And (aside from the Oscar-bait from the previous year that's getting a slow rollout) January is typically a cinematic trash dump. :hehe:

Hey hey hey now. Bad Boys III would like to have a word with you :o

Hey hey hey now. Bad Boys III would like to have a word with you :o
Ah yes. And this month DOES mark the 25th anniversary of the release of one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever, 12 Monkeys, so it's not a total wash.

^^ For a streaming service that pretty much has most of its content from only one major movie studio for the most part (even without the FOX contributions), it's surprising how many horror movies are on there and that most of them are actually decent too.

They've also got the majority of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Had to do some actual searching to find those movies, but really cool. The only movie missing is the 3rd one. I've only seen the first movie, and Freddy vs Jason, so I'll be watching the whole series at some point.

Also on there is the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep. It's listed under Extras for the main listing of Doctor Sleep. Definitely have to watch that too.

Btw, just checked and for all four Alien movies, all of the extended Director's Cuts for each movie is available so that's a nice bonus on top of the theatrical cuts.
They didn’t have Dream Warriors, the best one hands down

Ah yes. And this month DOES mark the 25th anniversary of the release of one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever, 12 Monkeys, so it's not a total wash.
Interesting, this also just made me realize the significance of B5's release date on HBO Max. It was the 25th anniversary of the show's premiere last Tuesday when the show dropped.

I watched half of Little Things, i didnt think it was bad, but not particularly engaging either. Also am i the only one who feels Rami Malek was miscast? He does not fit this role/movie at all.
Yeah I couldn’t buy him as a serious detective. It felt like he was “acting” and not a natural fit. Honestly, the movie just felt like one of those abridged murder serials you’d see on AMC a few years ago. If it was a 10 episodes, there’d be a couple flashback episodes for Denzel’s and Rami’s characters.

The Malek character seemed more like a more by the book square jawed detective but with a dark streak. I think someone like Channing Tatum would have been a better fit or Joel Edgerton.

I need to give the movie another try. I feel like the series has created wrong expectations.

All Batman big screen movies are now on Max
Justice League (Unlimited) is now on Max
All modern day Batman animated series
Supergirl the movie

Aquaman returns on Friday

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member