• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

I agree. As for villains I've always thought about Mongul. But I can also see where your average person might be like isn't that Darkseid?
Oh you don't have to sell me on Mongul's potential. As the regulars in the General Comics Discussion Thread can tell you, I've got a huge soft spot for the big yellow guy. But yeah, I think there's more danger in Thanos comparisons with him than Darkseid.

Oh you don't have to sell me on Mongul's potential. As the regulars in the General Comics Discussion Thread can tell you, I've got a huge soft spot for the big yellow guy. But yeah, I think there's more danger in Thanos comparisons with him than Darkseid.

I said Darkseid because when I was little I always got the two mixed up all the time. I also love the JLU episode For The Man Who Has Everything.

I’m not gonna post this in the JL thread since that forum is mostly Snyder worship. But man, is his cut of JL horrible. It’s not as bad as the theater version but still not exactly watchable.
That opinion would be right at home in the Superhero Civil War thread FYI, lol.

That opinion would be right at home in the Superhero Civil War thread FYI, lol.
Fair comparison or not, the addition of Darkseid didn’t do anything, and it’s hard not to compare him to Thanos. Brolin was able to get a nuanced and a layered performance. It just shows how if you want audiences to invest in your heroes in a team-up movie, it helps to deal with their backstory in their own movies first.

I think there's a little bit of nuance to that though. Marvel also made sure you saw Iron Man, Thor and Cap on a yearly or every other year basis. Infinity War was essentially Thanos's movie. I agree that investment helps and I'm not sure how many movies you would need to accept Ezra's Flash. While he's not the main character in Fantastic Beasts, I'm still not invested 2 movies in.

Fair comparison or not, the addition of Darkseid didn’t do anything, and it’s hard not to compare him to Thanos. Brolin was able to get a nuanced and a layered performance. It just shows how if you want audiences to invest in your heroes in a team-up movie, it helps to deal with their backstory in their own movies first.
Minor Justice League spoilers
Darkseid in this was more like Guardians of the Galaxy Thanos than Infinity War or Endgame Thanos. All he really did was stand around while his minions did the work for him, apart from the flashback scene where we see him get his ass handed to him by weird CGI David Thewlis Ares. But I agree that Darkseid's appearance didn't do much other than generate buzz for a sequel that may or may not happen. At least with GOTG Thanos's appearance was more of a surprise cameo compared to Darkseid being plastered all over the marketing for ZSJL.

Metallo has always been boring to me (along with most Kryptonite-based villains). He and the likes of Parasite, Toyman, etc. are all better-suited to episodes of TV, imo, as they aren't really high personal-stakes villains and don't present any real grandeur to make up for that with spectacle. Brainiac is by far the most under-utilized Supes rogue for the big screen, imo. I also think Mr. Mxyzptlk presents some really awesome possibilities that could be amazing in the hands of a really creative director, but I don't see the suits taking a chance on that until Supes' big screen standing has a solid foundation. I'm of the opinion that Lex Luthor should always be around though, even when he's not the main villain. He's just an essential, constant piece of Superman's world, imo.

Toyman I understand, and I agree about Lex. He's a supporting character like Lois, Jimmy, and Perry. But even if Metallo or Parasite aren't as grand, their abilities can provide an inherent sense of character to the movies. I always thought Metallo could provide a more personal sort of story with him being a man turned machine. Some interesting sci fi concepts you could explore with themes in terms of humanity. There's a tragic monster quality to him too. He can be a really deep character.

As for Parasite, he still poses a real physical and psychological threat to Superman. He can absorb Superman's powers and weaken him and he can figure out his secret identity. Plenty of high stakes there. Plus you can lean into a more sci fi horror story with him.

If you need to do the routine two villains thing I'd put Brainiac and Metallo together, like maybe he provides some reverse engineered tech that creates him.

Well in STAS they weren't allowed by WB/DC to have Lois find out Clark was SM. And it's always aggravated me that in the SM movies your villains have been
1. Lex
2. Zod, Ursa, Non and Lex
3. Lex stand in
4. Lex and Solar Man
5. Lex
6. Zod And the Kryptonian woman whose name I can't remember

After 6 solo movies we've basically only have gotten 2 villians.

Hey hey, be fair. Superman 3 also gave us a Brainiac stand-in. ;-)

I've been binging Justice League. I watched this so long ago, I don't even remember if I saw all these episodes. But wow, what a show. There wasn't one weak arc in that first season. The DCAU for those fifteen years was just God-tier. These all could have been movies! I have a hard time picking my favorite but possibly Savage World. It's just so damn cinematic. War World could have made a great Superman movie! Why the hell don't they let Dini and Timm and Berkowitz run the DCU?

I'm gonna go from this to JLU which I missed a lot on as a kid when it was on.

As a Batman fan, I love it too. Although I will say... I wish Superman didn't get hurt so damn much. You could make a montage of the amount of times Superman goes, "ARRGHHHH!" and falls mid-flight. :funny:

Funny thing is the first season of JL is by far the weakest, even the creative team wasn't very happy with it.

So that means you'll likely adore the other seasons lol.

I've been binging Justice League. I watched this so long ago, I don't even remember if I saw all these episodes. But wow, what a show. There wasn't one weak arc in that first season. The DCAU for those fifteen years was just God-tier. These all could have been movies! I have a hard time picking my favorite but possibly Savage World. It's just so damn cinematic. War World could have made a great Superman movie! Why the hell don't they let Dini and Timm and Berkowitz run the DCU?

I'm gonna go from this to JLU which I missed a lot on as a kid when it was on.

As a Batman fan, I love it too. Although I will say... I wish Superman didn't get hurt so damn much. You could make a montage of the amount of times Superman goes, "ARRGHHHH!" and falls mid-flight. :funny:
Yeah a lot if DC fans I've talked to on here simply don't want that to happen and I get different answers for it all the time. Although one does get said more than others and that's they're not experienced enough in live-action.

I always wonder what it'd be like had we gotten the OG JL line up
myo59a0h3vv21.jpg

Along with the OG Superman TAS concept
1121637_150877741611584.jpg

I always wonder what it'd be like had we gotten the OG JL line up
myo59a0h3vv21.jpg

Along with the OG Superman TAS concept
1121637_150877741611584.jpg
A sausage fest it would have been. I heard Timm and Dini were considering Black Canary alongside Hawkgirl, but felt Hawkgirl sounded more intimidating.

It's funny that WB/DC allowed Lois Lane to find out Bruce was Batman in STAS Worlds Finest but were against her finding out that Clark was Superman.

It's funny that WB/DC allowed Lois Lane to find out Bruce was Batman in STAS Worlds Finest but were against her finding out that Clark was Superman.

Cynical guess: this wasn't a matter of "strange restrictions", this was a matter of "not asking permission first". ;)

Also lilly white. There's a reason they used John Stewart.
Yeah I can see why the only minority being an alien wouldn't sit too well. I like Jon, but let's face it he only became interesting because of Shayera.

I watched the Snyder cut. While not worse than BVS like I thought it would be, which is good objectively, bad in an entertaining way... this movie was a boring slog. Like at least BVS is fascinating in a bad way, but this is just... boring. It doesn't help things are so disconnected in that first half. I was hoping for BVS madness that made my eyeballs pop out of my head.

There's some here and there
when Wonder Woman and Aquaman brutally kill Steppenwolf and Batman uses a big gun and Cyborg says, "**** the world" and Batman tells the Joker he will "****ing kill him." :funny:

But... it's four ****ing hours. I don't know how many times I checked the time code. The four hours really takes away the urgency. Like I couldn't help but feel when Steppenwolf was around everyone was taking their sweet time. The Whedon cut at least whittled it down to its core and got rid of all the bloat. I felt like I was watching a rough cut. There's cosmetic improvements but that's about it.

This is like a Best of the Worst situation. MOS is probably the best, but only because it's the shortest and a combination of not being boring and still being fascinating in a mad way.

I'm glad Snyder finished his movie given his tragic circumstances, but now that it's over, let's put this crap to bed and move onto better things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"