MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Marvel will have time for Daredevil for the timebeing, i think they should try making a tv show for him.

Personally I think this recent talk about Planet Hulk/World War Hulk films is a bad idea. I didn't like either of those two stories. Hulk is established, correctly, as a hero in the MCU and he should stay that way. Reverting him to a villain would be a mistake. Besides Planet Hulk is John Carter of Mars but with Hulk. Do you really think Disney is eager to release a new John Carter film?

Let us discuss. As I have said about Civil War, theres got to be a way to do Planet Hulk without turning our favorite characters into dbags.

For instance, Leader has been introduced in the MCU and would likely be a villain in a future TIH film. Maybe he is behind the jettisoning of Hulk off planet and maybe fabricates it as the Avengers idea in an attempt at pitting them against one another. Convincing Hulk he has no allies on Earth. Thus resulting in some World War Hulk action but merely as a misunderstanding.

I've said it before, some of these stories are theoretically highly entertaining but they can be tweaked to not only fit a little better in our universe but also fix any flaws that were displayed in the comics.

Disney may not be eager to see a "John Carter but with Hulk," but I sure as hell am! I just suggest we not be so quick to dismiss some of these things because of the potential they may have.

If they absolutely had to adapt Planet Hulk, I say they should ditch the betrayal angle entirely. Have it be some villain who sent him off into space, and have Banner/Hulk *know* this from the getgo. That would still work fine for stranding the Hulk on an alien planet, and forcing him to make his way there.

I think its unlikely on a budgetary level, though: you'd need the Hulk on screen for some absurd percentage of the film, and without the prospect of Transformers-level gross, I can't see that being approved. Whereas a more ordinary Hulk 2 can split time more readily between Hulk and Banner, which seeing as Ruffalo's Banner was a big part of what made the character appeal in Avengers, is a win-win.

You're right, theres plenty of great Hulk stories to adapt that don't involve Planet Hulk. But I'll be completely honest, I really want to see this on screen:

hulk-gladiators_1.jpg

I like the Civil War concept, and i would like to see something similar one day, but i don't want to see heroes act like j****s and i think it's way too soon, it may be too soon during this entire decade.

Thats a solid point. considering we have only just seen our heroes become a team. They need to have a few more adventures together before it would mean anything to us that they are at odds with one another.

The other counter-argument against Civil War that made sense to me is that most of our heroes have public identities already anyway. IDK, it is a long time from now and may not be necessary but I wouldn't mind seeing how it plays out.

I don't like to speculate as much as others because the films are never going to head the direction we personally envision. That being said, this topic seemed too fun to pass up.

I don't know what Marvel is planning to do with Thanos but I hope he is resolved in that one film. Other posters have suggested dragging that out through the entirety of phase 2 and 3. I am going to go off into What-If Land and propose a few ideas.

Hopefully if there is room in Avengers 2 I feel this is where Ant-Man should be introduced. I don't know if he can hold his own film, especially if it comes before Avengers 2; the 2nd phase would be too crowded. Thanos makes his appearance, our heroes best him, send his ass packing back to deep space. But now Nick Fury's higher-ups (perhaps that Secret Committee or whatever from A1) start giving him increasing pressure to regulate the Avengers, setting us up for:

The Superhero Registration Act! Yeah I said it folks, Phase 3: the Civil War!

Time to turn the MCU on its head, push the characters through the wringer. "Hold up Stat, there are only a handful of characters to even register, whatchu talkin bout!" Well now any new characters introduced are put right into that conflict. And this conflict provides the backdrop for phase 3!

Avengers 3: Disassembled
- I just want to see Iron Man and Captain America brawl. And these guys haven't been compadres for years and years like their comic counterparts, them disagreeing shouldn't be as big an issue as it was to some regarding the comics. Ant-Man, having been introduced already, starts developing Ultron, perhaps as a deterrant for Shield under the SHRA. Face off at the climax of the movie disbands the Avengers as Ultron becomes sentient.

Plant Hulk
- After a recent Hulk outburst, The Secret Committee tries to discuss a solution to the Hulk with Iron Man, who refuses. Ultron (now a thread running parallel to the SHRA in phase 3) manipulates the plot sending Hulk to Sakaar, with a fabricated video showing Tony Starks betrayal. How about instead of Silver Surfer during the Gladiator portion, Nova has his debut, setting up his own film. Hulk gets the screentime, but Ruffalo is still doing the acting via Mocap and scenes that can show Banner struggling with the Hulk in his subconscious. Let it get wierd, Marvel Studios.

Iron Man and Captain America sequels
- showing the effects of the SHRA, Cap on the run, Iron Man thinking he is doing the right thing. Ultron behind the scenes, perhaps hacking Tony's suits and starting an Armor War, putting him on the Committees bad side, and making Tony question his path.

They can introduce some more street level characters at this time, Daredevil and Dr. Strange. How does Shield try to police a Sorcerer who's talents are of another realm? They can't, as Strange will surely show them. Maybe Ms. Marvel or another character can be introduced to the Pro-SHRA side.

Avengers 4
- The return of a mad as hell Hulk coincides with an assassination attempt on the underground Fury (more villainry via Ultron). Fury reaches out to Cap, with info he's compiled making them aware of Ultron. Iron Man is appalled when he learns Shield actually went through with their Hulk agenda. Captain America joins Iron Man in defense of Hulk against the registration forces (after their own obligatory pre-team up battle). And after all that is resolved, Ultron is revealed to be the manipulative mastermind behind our heroes rough times and the Avengers unite once again, stopping Ultron and undoing the SHRA.

Nova and the Guardians of the Galaxy
- Nova learns while he was imprisoned on Sakaar the Nova Corps failed to stop Thanos from reaching Earth and were Annihilated (see what I did there?) He joins the Guardians in their race to find the Infinity Gauntlet before Thanos who is through licking his wounds and is harboring a hell of a grudge.

Cue Phase 4.

(I know I took a lot of "creative liberties" but the films are inevitably going to anyway right? Also left out Thor, but he wouldn't give a rats ass about the SHRA. His movie would have him denying any involvement with those petty tiny humans, till the Avengers are together again of course.)

Last edited:
If it were me it would go like this:
Captain America 3
Thor 3
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
The Avengers 3

I agree that the format of several individual character movies building up to an Avengers movie may get a little stale. But, I think you may be missing the bigger point.

The reason why the Avengers movies are the ones being built up to right now is because the Avengers are getting formed.

I think where Marvel is going to go with this is the movies each become more about the "story" and not the superhero. So, instead of a "spider-man" movie you get "Kraven's Last Hunt" or "Brand New Day". Instead of a Captain America movie you get "Destiny War".

Then, the big 2-3 year meta-tentpoles can be the big crossover stories like Secret Wars, Civil War, Skrull-Kree War, Identity Crisis.

Once they "create" the Universe and give it texture it becomes more about the stories in that Universe and multiple superheros can come and go as needed. New Marvel superhero characters can be introduced in the "stories" or in their own new movie where maybe it will be named after them. For example, Moon Knight.

Personally I think this recent talk about Planet Hulk/World War Hulk films is a bad idea. I didn't like either of those two stories. Hulk is established, correctly, as a hero in the MCU and he should stay that way. Reverting him to a villain would be a mistake. Besides Planet Hulk is John Carter of Mars but with Hulk. Do you really think Disney is eager to release a new John Carter film?
:up:

I want them to do the 3 film each year format:

After The Avengers 2

Spring/ Summer: Hulk Sequel
Summer: Ant Man 2
Fall/ Winter: Doctor Strange

Spring/ Summer: Black Phanter
Summer: Captain America 3
Fall/ Winter: Thor 3

Spring/ Summer:
Summer: The Avengers 3
Fall/ Winter: Daredevil

TV Shows
ABC: S.H.I.E.L.D, The Hulk, Punisher

Last edited:
You're right, theres plenty of great Hulk stories to adapt that don't involve Planet Hulk. But I'll be completely honest, I really want to see this on screen:

hulk-gladiators_1.jpg
Before we ever get there we need Marvel to give us a fully vocalized interactive Hulk character.

We've yet to get more than cliche one liners in his three film performances the past 10 years.

All the great Hulk stories we want, including PH, have him has Hulk for 80%+ of the story, very little Banner.

Hopefully by the end of Phase 3, the F4 have returned to Marvel and ultimately, I want to see a bid for intergalactic dominion between Thanos and the only one to challenge him for supremacy....DOOM!!!

Potatoed this on reddit a few days ago...how I'd like the MCU to go

Okay it goes
2008 Iron Man The Incredible Hulk
2010 Iron Man 2
2011 Thor Captain America: The First Avenger
2012 The Avengers
2013 Iron Man 3 *S.H.I.E.L.D T.V series (Summer to maybe end of Autumn depending on length) Thor: The Dark World
2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier Guardians of the Galaxy *Hulk t.v series (spring to autumn) *Daredevil T.V series (first half 12 episodes in Winter) *The Amazing Spider-man 2 *Ant-Man
2015 Daredevil T.V series (second half 12 episodes in spring) The Avengers 2 *S.H.I.E.L.D second series (in the summer) *Punisher T.V series (maybe about 15 episodes in the autumn to winter)
2016 Thor: The Enchantress Captain America: Return of the Red Skull Daredevil second series (autumn to winter)
2017 The Amazing Spider-man 3 *Black Panther Hulk second series (summer to autumn/early winter) Punisher second series (first half winter)
2018 Punisher second series (second half in spring) *Dr Strange *Heroes for Hire (first series in summer) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
*2019 Iron Man 4 Captain America: Thor: The Amazing Spider-man 4
2020 The Avengers: Civil War Pt 1 (Easter time) The Avengers: Civil War Pt 2 (Summer time)
So explanations

• S.H.E.I.L.D series would focus on the aftermath of the event of The Avengers, specifically trying to clear up the mess of NYC, the publics knowledge/outcry of superheroes and the sudden uprise of 'wannabee' heroes and villians. Nick Fury would appear in a few episodes, mainly the premiere and finale episodes but the majority of it will be handled by Maria Hill. Perhaps even cameos from Black Widow and Hawkeye....and obviously mentions of the Avengers, like keeping tabs on them. New agent on the job, Jessica Drew, learns to cope with daily life within SHIELD and the series is mainly seen from her POV, entering this hectic world and her journey to becoming Spider-Woman. Cameos from the likes of Falcon, Agent Sitwell, Carol Danvers and Jimmy Woo. Other minor villans spanning across the Marvel universe. This show would have minor crossovers with the other MCU shows.
I'm sure there's enough material for a second and maybe 3rd series but I ain't got enough knowledge
In the second series, Carol Danvers would become Ms Marvel somehow, Jessica Jones would become Spider-Woman and the likes of Iron Fist and Luke Cage would be seen.

• Hulk t.v series will show what Banner is doing after the Avengers. With the knowledge on how to control the Hulk, Banner is able to keep his emotions in check and travel around the poorer countries and help those in need. it's at this point Banner meets the young Rick Jones whom he takes on as a sidekick. However the likes of General Thunderbolt Ross (a.k.a the Red Hulk) and The Leader amongst other villains (such as Jackdaw, Juggernaut, Rhino and Ringmaster and a return of the Abomination). All actors/actresses from the Incredible Hulk movie should reprise their roles and Banner/Hulk is of course played by Ruffalo. In the S.H.I.E.L.D show, certain information would be seen on screens or even mentioned about Banner and his movements.
  • Ant-Man Origins of Ant-Man and Wasp, don't know about the story but perhaps the baddie is Egghead or....Whirlwind or something I dunno....during the movie they become SHIELD agents and once they defeat whoever it is, Fury decides to add them to the Avengers roster.
  • Daredevil series would be more detached from the other shows, but should still have an odd reference here and there to the rest of the MCU. The first series is generally his origin, showing his backstory in flashbacks and him and his conflict within Hells Kitchen. Kingpin will be the primary antagonist with the likes of Elektra,Bullseye, The Jester, Mister Fear and The Punisher (cameo in a 2 or 3 partner from his own series). Foggy Nelson will of course appear and even a cameo from Moon Knight as well. Ben Urich and the Daily Bugle will also appear, maybe a cameo from J.J.J. as well, not sure yet.
  • The Amazing Spider-man 2 Yes, I'm bringing in the Amazing Spider-man series into the MCU because I don't want to leave him out of this wonderful story. Anyway basically ASM2 will stay within itself but just and odd eater egg to the rest of the MCU. The 3rd movie should have the death of Gwen Stacy and the Green Goblin. SHIELD would appear for a moment with Nick Fury as Peter, struggling with the death of Gwen, decides he needs help with stopping Osborn. Fury believes Peter can do it on his own. Peter can't join the Avengers until he's 18...or 21...Whichever.
  • The Punisher series will be dark and gritty and gory, on par with the Walking Dead and be pretty contained and even further away from The Avengers side of the MCU however will feature easter eggs and crossovers with Daredevil, specifically with them fighting each other at some point and sharing an enemy or 2 (The Kingpin and Bullseye). I ain't got much to say but it's just showing The Punisher being him, his reasons for doing what he does and facing baddies, notably Jigsaw, Hitman, Elite, Payback, Finn Cooley and The Russian.
  • For the third installments I'd just keep them on track with where the current one is going, I just added two crappy subtitles there featuring the possible villains (The Enchantress and Red Skull again)
  • Black Panther movie would obviously show his origins, his country and everything like that and in the end Black Panther is seen talking the Henry Pym and Wasp over Vibranium and they extend an invitation to him to join the Avengers.
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I have no idea...maybe Kang the Conqueror or something....if anything I wouldn't have a sequel to them unless they made the 3rd Avengers another cosmic force to deal with instead of the Civil War route I've taken.
  • Dr Strange movie would show his origins and open up the magical part of the MCU and the villain would be Baron Mordo. Not really much I can say on this but I reckon near the end he'll decide to try either join the Avengers or then start his own group, thus creating the 'Marvel Knights' with Daredevil, Moon Knight and Shang-chi.
  • Heroes for Hire would be either a short series maybe 6 hour long episodes which shows Luke Cage (Power Man), Iron Fist, White Tiger, She-Hulk (who could cameo in SHEILD, Daredevil or Hulk) and Namor. The First episode is them joining together and flashbacks to origins or bits of backstory with the story showing them working together to tackle problems to big for ordinary people but too small for the Avengers to get involved. A second series, if there was one, could add in Ghost Rider, Silver Sable and Paladin...
  • 2019 Would have final sequel movies for the main 3 Avengers, Iron Man, Cap and Thor and each would end somehow leading into 2020 and the Avengers Civil War.
  • Yea a 2 parter....kinda like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was divided. A huge catastrophe like in the comics kills hundreds of innocent people and children which is blamed on superpowered people and causes an uprising within the general public and begins the superhero registration act....well you know the comics. This will have cameos and appearances from almost every hero and villian who isn't dead who has been introduced in the MCU movies and shows. Yea.... yea I know, that's pretty much the bare minimum needed to encompass the entire 616 universe which probably isn't needed for the MCU but still I'd love it to be like that
But yea through those next 8 years if you also include the DC movies to come out, plus non MCU movies like X-Men and Fantastic 4 then yea there is way to much.
Oh yes I know, I had Ultron typed up but wouldn't he need all the Avengers to be taken down, not just Ant-Man and Wasp? Thats why I didn't put him there as I wasn't sure really....but if I'm mistaken then by all means he'd be great to add.

As much as all the great complex phase 3 ideas are, I'm starting to think that judging by Phase 2, we'll only see 2 new franchises, and a slate like this:

2016:

Iron Man 4 (May)
Black Panther (July)
Thor 3 (November)

2017:

Captain America 3 (May)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (July)
Ant-Man 2 (November)

2018:

Doctor Strange (May)
The Incredible Hulk 2 (July)

2019:

Avengers 3

Sequels for Guardians and Ant-Man assuming those films pass a certain level of expectation (and in the case of Ant-Man, assuming the first one makes it for a 2014-2015 release date.)

My opinion is that Marvel is going to keep all their movies right now on course with the Main story.. Guardians of the Galaxy goes right in with Thanos.. Ant-Man is kind of out there, but he was still an Avenger and he can open the door to a lot of other stuff with the Avengers.. People keep mentioning Black Panther, Docter Strange,Inhumans, Ms.Marvel... I just cant see how Black Panther and Doctor strange fit into the story line yet.. Ms.Marvel I can see fitting in, but I think she's more of a supporting role instead of a main character.. The Inhumans would be my pick as the next new Marvel Movie..

only four!?

c'mon, you cant tell me theres not a fifth movie you'd like to see ;) :D
Well, we already know there will be a sequel to The Incredible Hulk after The Avengers 2 which will start phase 3 so I guess that will be my fifth film.

Well, we already know there will be a sequel to The Incredible Hulk after The Avengers 2 which will start phase 3 so I guess that will be my fifth film.
Um, based on what?

Feige saying there won't be a Hulk movie in phase 2 means there will definitely be one to start phase 3? lol

Don't you see? Hulk is an inevitable. Like taxes. And new Robins.

Last edited:
Before we ever get there we need Marvel to give us a fully vocalized interactive Hulk character.

We've yet to get more than cliche one liners in his three film performances the past 10 years.

All the great Hulk stories we want, including PH, have him has Hulk for 80%+ of the story, very little Banner.

See, I think that could be the compelling thing that happens over the course of a Planet Hulk inspired movie. If Banner and Hulk are thrust into that situation they'd have to come together to survive. It would be an origin of sorts for the smarter Hulk, because both Banner and Hulk are needed for him to survive & get off Sakarr. Then we have that smarter Hulk, who can have a conversation in Avengers 3 and any other Hulk movies.

Obviously a direct adaptation won't work..Marvel isn't going to make him a villain who Stark and Co. send off from Earth. But if they say, have Thanos send him across the Galaxy using a Purple Gem attached to a certain gauntlet in Avengers 2...it fixes that quite easily. To me the Planet Hulk story isn't sacred so if they just use the setting and gist of the whole thing in a different take I'm fine with that and that's what they would need to do. Obviously that takes away a World War Hulk movie...but I can't imagine anyway that it works in the MCU anyway.

I sure hope MS is smart enough to stay away from the redundancy to follow comic book storylines. If I want to expereience that story, I read that comic book.
The MCU is its own beast, as it should be. And they can do plots for themselves. Of course, a little acknowledgement of comic book storylines here and there is fine, like they did with the demon in a bottle or armor wars elements in IM2 or JMS' Thor run in Thor. Still the movies managed to be very original stories that told their own stuff.
And that's what I expect MS to do in the future too.
So, no to a Planet Hulk or a Civil War or a Infitiy Gauntlet movie. Do your own thing, twist elements from those storylines to fit the metaplot of the MCU if you have to, but no direct (or near direct) adaptations please.

I sure hope MS is smart enough to stay away from the redundancy to follow comic book storylines. If I want to expereience that story, I read that comic book.
The MCU is its own beast, as it should be. And they can do plots for themselves. Of course, a little acknowledgement of comic book storylines here and there is fine, like they did with the demon in a bottle or armor wars elements in IM2 or JMS' Thor run in Thor. Still the movies managed to be very original stories that told their own stuff.
So, no to a Planet Hulk or a Civil War or a Infitiy Gauntlet movie. Do your own thing, twist elements from those storylines to fit the metaplot of the MCU if you have to, but no direct (or near direct) adaptations please.
I really disagree with you on that. I want as many stories taken from the comics as possible. I do think however that they should make it appropriate for the cinema, yet I've never been worried about them not doing such, they haven't done it so far.

Too late, Iron Men 3 is taking a lot from Extremis and vol.4 of Iron Man comics, while Captain America: Winter Soldier will possibly take a lot from the winter soldier storyline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"