MCU: Your Thoughts About The Infinity Stones (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Some rambling based on the Scarlet Witch being the Reality Stone theory: the Stone took physical form as Wanda centuries ago to try and defend itself, however this proved useless as she was hunted across the Universe by aliens and Gods for her power. She created Pietro to protect her, and over time the two have evolved into a brother-sister relationship and he becomes more and more of an overprotective jerk.

Very convoluted and unlikely but thoughts?

I really like that, Hyde. Very interesting.

When Hawkeye was in Stuttgart, he told Selvig that the Tesseract gave him the power to see a little bit into the future to see his next target, and that he'd need an eyeball (for a retinal scan) to complete that mission.

I don't think it showed him the future. Since it's the Space Stone, perhaps it showed Hawkeye the target through some sort of portal. And I'm betting that Hawkeye scoped out the building in Stuttgart and gathered info to prepare himself, which is why he knew about the retinal scanner.

For sure. And I think JK Rowling wouldve made the quest longer if she had thought of doing so sooner. I do love that she made (probably retconned) Tom Riddle's diary as a horcrux. That was awesome.

But yeah, infinity gems. The OG horcruxes. Keep them at 5 though? There will be 6 total. Just 4 more to discover. And 4 macguffins out of like 8 movies isn't so bad at all.

You mean 6? :oldrazz:
Yeah, i wasn't exactly sure how many there were :woot:

What i mean is that as long as they don't invente more gems than needed just to get a fast explanation for a certain plot or to repeat the storyline i'm fine, it's fun to guess what will come next, and when they do appear like in Cap/ Avengers, and Thor 2 it feels like a part of something bigger, and when all the gems come together it will be even more impressive.

This revelation does seem to make the Cosmic Cube much weaker than in the comics, where who had it could do whatever they wanted, which i'm fine with, that makes the Infinity Gauntlet all the more impressive.

Right, and one additional thing it does is while we still get to see all 6 infinity stones, we also get to see several other artifacts without there being more than 6 macguffins.

For instance, if they had done 6 stones on top of the cosmic cube? That mightve been too much.

Tesseract = Space
Scepter = Mind
Aether = Power
GOTG MacGuffin = Time (I'm calling it now)
Eye of Agamotto (when Dr. Strange gets made) = Soul or Reality

The sixth stone is obviously The Bloodstone in the inevitable Captain America 3. Mostly since Zemo is an awesome villain and he needs to make some sort of appearance. I vote for Daniel Bruhl as Zemo.

I seriously doubt the Scepter was the Mind Gem. Or more precisely, I doubt Thanos would hand an artifact that powerful over to Loki.

Yeah, i doubt he would hand an infinity stone to anybody, was Loki supposed to give it to him?

I seriously doubt the Scepter was the Mind Gem. Or more precisely, I doubt Thanos would hand an artifact that powerful over to Loki.

Yeah, Nick Fury and Kevin Feige have both specifically stated that Loki's Spear was powered by the Tesseract, nothing else. No need to start reading anything more into that, especially the notion that Thanos would "loan out" an Infinity Stone for any reason to a god of mischief, lies and deceit.

The Ultimate Nullifier has to pop up at some point.

Coincidently, the Ultimate Nullifier just showed up in the new Nova comic.

What I don't understand is how the sceptor is powered by the Tesseract if Loki opens up with it (blasting people and mind controlling) before he even gets his hands on it.

Only thing I could think of is that it's just capable of linking with it no matter what the distance. Which would sort of make the sceptor the 'key' to Loki using the Tesseract as a door to Earth. Is that what everyone's going with? Or is that actually too convoluted?

What I don't understand is how the sceptor is powered by the Tesseract if Loki opens up with it (blasting people and mind controlling) before he even gets his hands on it.

Only thing I could think of is that it's just capable of linking with it no matter what the distance. Which would sort of make the sceptor the 'key' to Loki using the Tesseract as a door to Earth. Is that what everyone's going with? Or is that actually too convoluted?

I just figured the staff itself was ancient, probably already carrying a charge for thousands of years or more. Limitless power, right? Whomever made that staff could siphon off energy from the Tesseract much like Arnim Z. Such a device could last a very long time.

Or maybe it charges via proximity. I dunno.

Last edited:
Yeah I could see that working. That would make it plausible then that he could just gateway to Earth like that.

But if a weapon like that can transport someone to the Tesseract's location, then it makes having the Tesseract on Asgard dangerous. Which then makes sense given the decision in the mid credits of Thor 2.

Yeah I could see that working. That would make it plausible then that he could just gateway to Earth like that.

But if a weapon like that can transport someone to the Tesseract's location, then it makes having the Tesseract on Asgard dangerous. Which then makes sense given the decision in the mid credits of Thor 2.

It was strongly hinted that Loki already has an innate planewalking ability in Thor 1. He talks about knowing "back ways" in and out of Asgard, or something to that effect. In fact, we saw that he was able to project all the way to Midgard easily enough at least twice (once in Thor's cell, and again with Selvig). And if that's so, then Loki's arrival at Thanos' throne, as well as his journey to Earth, have nothing to do with the Scepter, or even the Tesseract: he's accomplishing these planar jaunts on his own power.

As for the Scepter/Spear, it seems to have been left on Earth in mortal hands (Widow was the last person seen holding it), and Thor didn't seem to be the least bit worried by that. So odds are that it was depowered by the end of Avengers anyway.

So I was thinking today and it just hit me that the box/infinity Gem that Sif handed to the Collector was the Aether. So now I know where that went. I was so lost on that scene, and on what happened to the Aether after the film. Gee whiz.

So I was thinking today and it just hit me that the box/infinity Gem that Sif handed to the Collector was the Aether. So now I know where that went. I was so lost on that scene, and on what happened to the Aether after the film. Gee whiz.

Keep up, Doc. Jeez. :cwink:

Yeah... it was literal fridge logic for me. Oy.

Anyway, I'm feeling the Tesseract as Space and the Aether as Reality.

Seeing as how the Orb of Agamotto being the Soul Gem almost goes without saying. It's not going to be the Mind Gem, not really. Plus, since we don't have Adam Warlock, not much sense in deferring to him.

The GOTG do seem to be holding onto some MacGuffin though... perhaps that's what they're guarding, per se? I would guess the Power Gem would be the cleanest and simplest and most 'space saga'-y MacGuffin.

Actually, going by the tie-in comics ( and IIRC, from the stinger scene ), we might just have Adam Warlock. There's something in the Collector's collection that looks quite a bit like a man-sized coccoon.

Actually, going by the tie-in comics ( and IIRC, from the stinger scene ), we might just have Adam Warlock. There's something in the Collector's collection that looks quite a bit like a man-sized coccoon.

Yeah, it's definitely Warlock's cocoon. He officially "exists" in the MCU now, at least foreshadowed.

I've gotten the impression the Tesseract is the Space Gem because that's what a tesseract does. The Aether is the Reality Gem because it's now in the Collector's hands. Thanos acquired the Reality Gem from him in the Thanos Quest.

If we're to follow that story, then the Soul Gem would be found with the In-Betweener, the Mind Gem is with the Grandmaster, the Time Gem is being used by the Runner, and the Power Gem is with the Champion.

We'll probably see the Soul Gem or the Power Gem introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Last edited:
I've gotten the impression the Tesseract is the Space Gem because that's what a tesseract does. The Aether is the Reality Gem because it's now in the Collector's hands. Thanos acquired the Reality Gem from him in the Thanos Quest.

If we're to follow that story, then the Soul Gem would be found with the In-Betweener, the Mind Gem is with the Grandmaster, the Time Gem is being used by the Runner, and the Power Gem is with the Champion.

We'll probably see the Soul Gem or the Power Gem introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy.
I kinda doubt the MCU Thanos Quest will be that similar to the 616.

And the more I think about it, I believe at the end of Phase 2 Thanos will own at least one of the stones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"