Metroid: Other M

Are the various Zelda mangas canon in regards to Link's character, then?

I think you missed the point I was trying to make...

Well then let's say Nintendo made a Zelda game where they decided to make Link talk. Since he's never talked before, they decided to look to past derivative works for a guideline. Would you be happy if Link had a smart mouth and would say "Excuuuse me, princess!"?

Samus being out of character in the manga does not make her less out of character in Other M (and the manga is still not canon).

No, it is canon. Unless you think it's coincidence that Other M makes reference to the exact same origin as the one in the manga. Just because you don't want it to be true doesn't make it so.

Are the various Zelda mangas canon in regards to Link's character, then?

Irrelevant to this subject.

Well then let's say Nintendo made a Zelda game where they decided to make Link talk. Since he's never talked before, they decided to look to past derivative works for a guideline. Would you be happy if Link had a smart mouth and would say "Excuuuse me, princess!"?

It would be better for me than just a lifeless nothing standing there for me. I've never been a fan of mannequin "characters".

But that's not my point. Surely, you must see the sweeping irony of what you're saying about Samus being out of character. Samus didn't have a character. Whether or not the manga is canon or not, it and Other M are essentially the only times she's had any real characterization. So, how the hell is it out of character when A) there is no character to be out of and B) the only time she had a character, which may or may not have been in canon to Metroid, matches this characterization?

Dude, forget about your other arguments, but the Metroid Manga is canon, and was even stated as such by Nintendo considering they commissioned it as a cross promotion with Metroid Fusion as the official origin of Samus.

Anyone who has followed Metroid since the beginning (and then some) know that the manga is canon. Us folks in the states just never were able to get ahold of it ourselves.

If you are interested the Metroid Database has a version that has been translated.

No, it is canon. Unless you think it's coincidence that Other M makes reference to the exact same origin as the one in the manga. Just because you don't want it to be true doesn't make it so.

Samus's origin in the games has been consistent ever since Prime / Fusion / Zero mission, and if the manga came around at that time period then it makes sense that it would be based on the same origin story as the other Metroid properties out at the time. In Metroid Prime there were references made to Samus being fostered by the Chozo and Samus being orphaned by the Space Pirates, and in Fusion some of the unlockable images depict Ridley attacking Samus's parents. The manga was elaborating on stuff that was in the games. The manga is NOT source material for the games, nor should it be considered canon.

Irrelevant to this subject.

Irrelevant, or just really bad for your argument? Nintendo does not treat the mangas for Zelda games as canon, so why should we believe that the opposite is true for Metroid? Besides that, "canon" for Nintendo games has always been a rather ambiguous concept. For future reference, I would reccomend not basing your entire perception of the Metroid games on something that is not a Metroid game.

Samus's origin in the games has been consistent ever since Prime / Fusion / Zero mission, and if the manga came around at that time period then it makes sense that it would be based on the same origin story as the other Metroid properties out at the time. In Metroid Prime there were references made to Samus being fostered by the Chozo and Samus being orphaned by the Space Pirates, and in Fusion some of the unlockable images depict Ridley attacking Samus's parents. The manga was elaborating on stuff that was in the games. The manga is NOT source material for the games, nor should it be considered canon.
The manga was released shortly before Zero Mission. It may not be the source but it expands on Samus' origin and goes into greater detail on many things. The Chozo Old Bird looks exactly the same in the manga as he does in the Zero Mission flashbacks. Same goes for young Samus. It is canon.

Irrelevant, or just really bad for your argument? Nintendo does not treat the mangas for Zelda games as canon, so why should we believe that the opposite is true for Metroid?
You're only bringing it up because you think it's convenient for your argument. Nintendo has stated the Zelda mangas aren't canon. The Metroid manga is. The two aren't tied together, they are completely separate things and have no connection as far as being canon to their respective franchises.

Besides that, "canon" for Nintendo games has always been a rather ambiguous concept.
Metroid has always had a timeline. Why should we just throw it all out the window because the others have no order?

For future reference, I would reccomend not basing your entire perception of the Metroid games on something that is not a Metroid game.
I'm not basing my entire perception off of the manga. I'm simply saying it is part of the Metroid story.

In the X-Men 2 novelization, Jean Grey lives. Canon!

Just because there was collaboration between the developers and the manga team does not mean that the manga is canon. I would love to see this official Nintendo approved statement that says that the manga is canon, because so far the only people who I've heard stating that have been some very pushy fanboys.

In the X-Men 2 novelization, Jean Grey lives. Canon!
:facepalm:

Just because there was collaboration between the developers and the manga team does not mean that the manga is canon. I would love to see this official Nintendo approved statement that says that the manga is canon, because so far the only people who I've heard stating that have been some very pushy fanboys.

Yeah, just because there was collaboration between Nintendo and the manga writers, many aspects of the manga have been in Fusion and Zero Mission, and Other M makes specific references to events that were told in the manga, that doesn't mean it's canon :whatever:

I'm done with this stupid argument. You decided to hate Other M before playing it based on two awful reviews. Then use some morons on GameFAQs as prove the "entire fanbase is outraged" over it. Now you're throwing a tantrum over whether the manga is canon because you hate it and bringing up completely irrelevant things like the Zelda manga and now X-Men 2 novel. I have better things to do than waste my time with this. Stick to caring about the Metroid games you like and deny the manga being canon if it helps you sleep at night.

Last edited:
Let's see if we can discuss the subject without name calling....you can debate and argue and still be civil.

Just finished the prologue, and I have one thing to say:

PHANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all. :D

Just completed it. I completely loved it, REALLY did, but the ending was pretty dissapointing seeing as you played 5 seconds of it then watched the rest.

It's like a streamlined Metroid that's still ocean deep if you want it to be. Great stuff.

Did you play the epilogue?

I started my a second file. I like getting power-ups I missed early on. I finished my first file with 38 missiles and I already have 36 and haven't finished the 2nd sector.

I'm about the start a second game through on hard.

It'll be a bit quicker now that I can skip the cutscenes too. I cannot wait to fight some of the bosses again.

I remember the two worms gave me huge problems. This time, I beat them both in less than a minute.

I beat the epilogue after posting, and it did help a bit. It's still pretty short but at least I can do and grab more items now.

I think it'd a pretty underrated game, I'll never understandGI's 6.25

Gamestop: The Magazine is crap, that's all the explanation we need. The same goes for G4. :o

Still not liking how energy and missles are replensihed, but that's the only real complaint I have with the game so far.

Energy was never a problem for me in my 2nd playthrough.

Apparently the game is not selling very well. It's selling at a rate about half as fast as Metroid Prime 3, which wasn't a roaring success in the first place. So far, it's sold about 300k units over 2 weeks. Compare to Prime 3, which took less than one week to sell that many copies, and sold half a million units by the end of week 2. It will certainly be a far cry from Metroid Prime's nearly 3 million copies sold when it stops showing up on sales charts. MP was the best selling Metroid ever, and it was on Nintendo's least popular system.

Also, only about 1/4 of the first week of sales were actually from people who didn't preorder the game, so bad word of mouth could very well have put a dent in the game's initial sales. Also, Metroid games are typically quite front loaded in terms of sales, so I wouldn't bet on Other M catching up to Prime 3's 1.5 million units in total sales, let alone those of the first Metroid Prime. In fact, this game may be lucky to sell just 1 million units over its lifespan.

Last edited:
It's sales are irrelevant. First, it has no bearing on the quality of the game. Do you need me to give you a list of many well-received games that sold poorly? Psychonauts (or just about anything by Tim Schafer), Beyond Good & Evil, Earthbound, Valkyria Chronicles (I think), and No More Heroes to name a few.

Second, it's not as if Nintendo will never make another Metroid game. They obviously will and may even do it in the same style as Other M.

But continue to hate it and grasp and straws for proof.

It does have a direct effect on the direction that future games in the Metroid series will take, however. Given the amount of backlash over Other M and the relatively weak sales compared to the Prime series, I'd be pretty surprised if a direct sequel to Other M gets made. If anything, this game's failures may encourage Nintendo to go back to Retro and give them more creative freedom next time around. I read in an interview that with Prime 3, they originally wanted to include a gameplay mechanic where players could hunt bounties, but Sakamoto for whatever reason slammed his foot down on it because he is basically the Metroid Pope. Perhaps thanks to Other M, that might finally change.

Last edited:
The only backlash has been fanboy ranting about the story. The gameplay has been received very positively. Only G4 (a ****** outlet that has one good person working for it) and GameInformer (that's only sustained by GameStop pushing it on every customer) have given it bad scores. Even Spoony's review (which I still think is poor) just complained about the story and not about the gameplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"