METROPOLIS-The City's "Portrayal"

what ever it is as i said before if its a director sequel yes keep all the looks/ change the suit a bit atless for superman. But if its a whole new take its all up to the director on how he would like the world in his film be shown. There is so many different ways they can go about it.

The reason why I say keep Singer's Metropolis is because he brought to life the Metropolis we've seen in the comics pre and post B13 era. I mean as it has been said by many comic writers and artist "Metropolis should look timeless!" and that is what Singer did. He made it timeless. The only thing really changed from the comics was the Daily Planet and for the better IMO.

Yea it will probably all be up to who ever is in charge with the next film and if they will be shooting down under again like singer did with SR or if production is in us/canada. Like i said before singer's metropolis i did like in the film.

To me, an entire fictional city dosen't need to exist because Metropolis basically is New York City. It's nothing to have the Daily Planet appear in a real major American city.

I want a Metropolis that is sort of like Gotham was in B89. But thats just me.

I want a Metropolis that is sort of like Gotham was in B89. But thats just me.

You mean dark and gothic? I would prefer a city that is bright, shiny, and modernistic, an anti-Gotham.

You mean dark and gothic? I would prefer a city that is bright, shiny, and modernistic, an anti-Gotham.

B89 Gotham wasnt dark and gothic. Batman Returns Gotham was dark and gothic. I dont really know how to describe B89 Gotham, but it was just sort of perfect. Somewhat dark, but not quite as much as BR. Not quite as dark as Burton's average stuff.

Hmm. I need to go back and watch B89 sometime. Anyway, I imagine Metropolis as being more sleek and futuristic, kind of like Hong Kong.

Metropolis should be this grand, bright city. I say a mix of New York, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Tokoyo.
As for Singer's Metropolis, I never got an epic feel or sense of scope of the city.

yea metropolis needs to be a bright, cheerful, technological wonders of a city.

How should Metropolis be in the Superman reboot? What city should it be molded after and what should be its atmosphere and its enviroment should be?

I'll start:

LOS ANGELES

LosAngelesSkyline.jpg

Description:
Despite its reputation as a clean,warm and wealthy city, Metropolis is filled with tragedy, loss and despair. Forever linked to the frightening reality of terrorism because of the attack on 9/11, the city is slowly rotting in crime. It's a city filled with dangerous and psychotic criminals and corporate sharks (i.e. Luthor). This is a time when the world needs a savior, someone to believe in, someone who can stand up for humanity. Few businesses that are not owned by Luthor are not somehow involved in illegal activity(LexCorp would own most major and local businesses in Metropolis),straight cops (i.e. Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer) who fight for justice are rare (the rest of the cops are corrupt and working for Lex) and newspaper companies (i.e. the Daily Planet) will do whatever it takes to get a good story, even if it means getting into dangerous situations. Supeman represents hope not only for the city, but for the entire planet as well. He represents the idea that justice is still present and alive and becomes the first symbol of true hope.

I gave that description because WB wanted a "darker and edgier" Superman movie. You should not make Supes grim and lonely for the darker reboot, you have to make his whole world dark instead. He would realize that he totally "not in Kansas anymore" and has to face the reality of the big city.

^Yes, Metropolis should be sleek and beautiful on the outside, but rotting on the inside. Perfect.

Well who knows how things will turn out for next film. As for the look of the film/city it should totally be up to the writers/director.

^Yes, Metropolis should be sleek and beautiful on the outside, but rotting on the inside. Perfect.

Rotting on the inside? Sound like Gotham City there. Are you sure you're not talking about your home? :oldrazz:

the main thing for metropolis is it needs to be a bright shining beacon.

I always loved the shot of the Daily Planet Globe breaking off of it's base and slowly rolling on top of the Water Tower. Beautiful stuff. Wish I had a screen cap to share.

The one aspect from the comics and TAS that was missing is the pseudo-new age tech that could be around, like bullet trains suspended between skyscrapers and futuristic architecture.

Metropolis seemed to have been based pretty openly and completely on New York. Makes sense in a way. So many city shots looked like downtown Manhattan. Whenever I drive over or walk over the Brooklyn bridge I think of SR. Lots of shots seem to be based on the geography and architecture of downtown NYC.

Timeless is a good word to use for Metropolis. My preferred look for metropolis is essentially a blend between a modern day city and what people in the 40's thought a modern day city would look like.

Rotting on the inside? Sound like Gotham City there. Are you sure you're not talking about your home? :oldrazz:

I will not have you put down my hometown! :cmad: Sure, Gotham has its problems, but there's a lot going for it like...uh...well just look it up for yourself. There are too many wonderful things to list about it here.

And as for the rotting comment, I meant that Luthor should be a controlling force in the city and be taking it down slowly from within. Metropolis is beautiful but there's a rot there as a result of Lex and only Superman can see and stop it. :supes:

How should the city be portrayed?

"Realistic" of course. Um, I mean...Like in the comic books, with lots of Kryptonians flying around.

How should the city be portrayed?

"Realistic" of course. Um, I mean...Like in the comic books, with lots of Kryptonians flying around.

LOL

Yeah, that's pretty awful in the comics. Are the writers just putting up a white flag and saying "We just don't have any worthwhile ideas anymore."?

As much as I loved Batman Begins and Dark Knight, it kinda sucks that Nolan essentially has dibs on Chicago now. As Shuster/Siegel based the city of Metropolis heavily on Chicago.

yea but there is many wonderful cities in the us/world wide that could make a nice metropolis. It would be neat if they mixed and matched a few cities into one like bb did with gotham as i said before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"