Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Part 2

Saw this film the other day and was just blown away! This is peak popcorn cinema and one of the best films I've seen this year - up there w/ Black Panther and Shoplifters.

McQ's direction of action has been praised over and over, but I really want to applaud him for basically getting all of his prior collaborators sans his editor, basically. His new collaborators, Rob Hardy and Lorn Balfe chiefly among them, give this film an incredible new sheen. I loved Hardy's 90's washed out look. Very fitting that in the Skyfall of Mission Impossible, we get a film that looks like the original. But McQ also managed to top the last few films with such great sequences, so huge props to that.

I'm glad we got more of Solomon Lane and the Syndicate. One of my issues with Rogue Nation is that we hardly got to see the anti-IMF aspect of the Syndicate. It was just Ilsa and Solomon, basically. Having Cavill as Walker as this villainous equal to Ethan was great. McQ felt as if Cavill's talents hadn't been taken advantage of in prior big blockbusters (no doubt shade aimed at WB) and he gives him a lot more material to chew on here. I also appreciate McQ taking advantage of using the one F-bomb allowed for PG-13 films ala the X-Men films. This was a darker film and I appreciated some of the language.

The film is introspective, but also did a good job of not venturing into Craig Era Bond territory. Ethan is a lot more simplistic than Bond and the franchise isn't also as gritty. It's more fun. Had they gone full Craig-era Bond they would've really had to shaft Luther, Ilsa and Bengie.

I prefer Skyfall to Fallout, but both are still great. Skyfall is a very emotionally intimate film, and Fallout did a good job of not trying to emulate that fully.

Also, as an aside, I freaking love the original Bourne trilogy. They're aces, extremely influential and I love Greengrass' shaky-cam action. The only shaky-cam, quick editing I can handle, frankly.

The Mission Impossible films have made great use of some truly awesome locations over the years.
What are your favorites?

Austria Opera.

According to McQuarrie, the studio wanted to cut the Opera sequence because it was going over budget but Cruise insisted that it was going to be the signature sequence of the film.

According to McQuarrie, the studio wanted to cut the Opera sequence because it was going over budget but Cruise insisted that it was going to be the signature sequence of the film.

Good on Cruise. He was right.

JJ Abrams.

[YT]FCRdTWGdngU[/YT]

Also if you are going to the box office well dude, The Bourne Ultimatum outgrossed both Dunkirk and Interstellar domestically. And that movie came out in 2007.

Going back to your original question, you asked what movies Greengrass made that had a similar impact of some of Nolan's work, and The Bourne Ultimatum and The Bourne Supremacy definitely come to mind.

Oh look, a brawl without MUSIC in 2007 in a Bourne film. That's something DACrowe pointed out that Nolan did in a lot of scenes. The Bourne Ultimatum did that BEFORE The Dark Knight.

[YT]uLt7lXDCHQ0[/YT]

Touché on Bourne doing it first. As I said I've seen that trick done before TDK and TDKR as well. With that said, I still think Nolan's is more striking given how drenched his movies are in music. When he decides for there to be none it's fairly striking.

In any event what is this "JJ Abrams" thing. Are you joking or serious saying JJ Abrams is an influential director?

So how did they expect to introduce Ilsa?

The Mission Impossible films have made great use of some truly awesome locations over the years.
What are your favorites?

This scene is iconic.

Mission-Impossible_-Aquarium-Scene_616.jpg

Finally got round to seeing this a few days ago.

Really enjoyed it. The cast were great, Cavill was a useful addition for this story. My cinema was full too, which was surprising seeing as it has been out for a few weeks already.

The guy to my right was literally on the edge of his seat throughout the helicopter & cliff top fight.

Hope it makes the BO numbers it deserves - chance it could go past $500m WW this weekend?

Finally got round to seeing this a few days ago.

Really enjoyed it. The cast were great, Cavill was a useful addition for this story. My cinema was full too, which was surprising seeing as it has been out for a few weeks already.

The guy to my right was literally on the edge of his seat throughout the helicopter & cliff top fight.

Hope it makes the BO numbers it deserves - chance it could go past $500m WW this weekend?
According to Gitesh Pandya, Fallout will pass $500 million WW today.
He expects that when it premieres in China in a couple of weeks, that it will end up with an estimated tally of 750 million.

If I didn't own all of them, 4 in Steelbooks, I'd be getting this for the amazingly cheap price!

71PMNMb7yEL._SL1200_.jpg

Yeah, I bought a double pack of the first two before III came out, I regret that.
Who knew this franchise was going to still be thriving strong after 20 years?

I think when 3 came out, nobody really did. Then GP came along and ****ing took everybody off guard.

I think when 3 came out, nobody really did. Then GP came along and ****ing took everybody off guard.
I have only come to recently realize that III didn't do that well.
I loved it so much that I didn't bother to look at the box-office.
That couch jumping incident nearly killed the career of Tom Cruise.

That couch jumping incident nearly killed the career of Tom Cruise.

I was looking at a video the other day, saying that's probably what made Cruise push the envelope so far. "You think I'm crazy?" "Wait until you see this"

How long was Ethan a member of the IMF before Jim Phelps betrayed them?
Is there any official information that gives us specifics on the answer to this question?

I think the biggest problem that I had with MI II was the fact that it was the only film in the franchise where the actual mission doesn’t start for 35 minutes.

How long was Ethan a member of the IMF before Jim Phelps betrayed them?
Is there any official information that gives us specifics on the answer to this question?
No, we actually know VERY little of Ethan's backstory. We know he came from a blue-collar family, and as of the first movie, his mother was still alive. But has he been in any other service before the IMF? Was he recruited out of school? Who knows.

Well, the Mission Impossible wiki at FANDOM has their own biography of Ethan Hunt.
It states that Ethan enlisted in the army right out of high school.
He became an army ranger, his first CO was Dan Briggs.
Briggs later went to The CIA
He recommended Ethan for The IMF.
Longtime fans might remember the Briggs was the team leader for season 1 of the series.
He was played by Stephen Hill who played District Attorney Adam Schiff for over a decade.

We’ll get our answers eventually in the prequel Hunt.

Opening scene is 8 year old Ethan Hunt being given a grocery list as his mom tells him, “Your Mission if you choose to accept it...”

Start fancasting young Tom Cruise now.

Well, the Mission Impossible wiki at FANDOM has their own biography of Ethan Hunt.
It states that Ethan enlisted in the army right out of high school.
He became an army ranger, his first CO was Dan Briggs.
Briggs later went to The CIA
He recommended Ethan for The IMF.
Longtime fans might remember the Briggs was the team leader for season 1 of the series.
He was played by Stephen Hill who played District Attorney Adam Schiff for over a decade.

LOL, at first I thought you were referring to Representative Adam Schiff (D-CA). I was like, "Huh? They made a TV show about him?"

Yesterday, I watched that OTHER Tom Cruise spy film, Knight And Day on Cinemax.
It has always been one of my faves.
Anybody else like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"