Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Part 2

And it should also become the biggest domestically in the next week or so. :up:

Bring on 7!
Who would you like to as a director if McQuarrie doesn't come back?

Amazing box office numbers for MI6. It deserved it. Tom Cruise is a great entertainer and MI is a great franchise.

MI6 now holds the record for total WW gross while holding also the best OS and Domestic totals (Domestic is a matter of time).

MI:II had the best Dom gross with $215,4 mil , MI:4 had the best WW with $694,7 mil and MI:5 had the best OS numbers with $487,7 mil.

Now MI:6 has them all ! One MI to rule them all !

Cant wait for MI:7. Too bad its not going to come sooner than 2021.

Even though Fallout was a bit of dissapointment for me. I like MI:I , MI:4 and MI:5 the best.

I'm glad it appears to be doing better than Rogue Nation, and it's worldwide numbers definitely improved. I wonder why though these movies tend to not be able to get higher numbers domestic.

Domestic: $212,632,737 28.9%
+ Foreign: $522,282,344 71.1%
= Worldwide: $734,915,081

Officially passed Deadpool 2 ($734,2 mil) for the number 5 spot of the boxoffice WW gross of 2018.

Finally got a chance to watch this over the weekend and I loved it, might just be my favorite film of the year, will probably have to do a 2nd viewing to make sure.

Bring on 7!
Who would you like to as a director if McQuarrie doesn't come back?
Honestly while I was watching it, I kept on telling myself how much it reminded me a bit of The Dark Knight, so if I had to pick a director I would say Christopher Nolan :shrug:

I liked this better than Dark Knight. Acting was better, even the small roles. Action was amazing and filmed beautifully.

McQuarrie is one of the best directors working today. IMHO Jack Reacher is still incredibly underrated. I love the look and style of that movie. It felt like watching a 1970s Steve McQueen or Clint Eastwood film in 2012.

Jack Reacher's still my favorite film of his. It was a straightforward, well crafted, character driven action film. We don't get many of those anymore. And Joe Kraemer's score is incredible.

I liked Ghost Protocol better but this was a very nice sequel with some great scenes. And I think McQuarrie watched The Dark Knight too much and too little.

But what I really want to talk about... is the f***ing soundtrack!!!

Not only was it musically bland to such a staggering degree, but at some places it was literally insufferable. Some action scenes were filled with this immense over-produced 400 piece orchestra wall of sound playing as loud as possible for so long I thought I'll throw up. How can director, composer and producers be ok with that? It was so tasteless and tawdry. Like Tom's running on a roof or something, and it has to be scored like two universes are colliding in the biggest cataclysm of ages... Like WTF?! Not only it was headache-inducing, it felt just comical. Some jumping on a roof underscored with epic choir crescendos. Really hollywood? Felt like a farce, made me laughing and covering my ears.

Love Tom's insane dedication, McQuarrie is getting better and better, but wtf was that "musical" travesty, I don't know.

As much as Iove the last couple of films,I kinda hope they scale it down a bit for the next one,and just have Cruise interact more with his co stars instead of hanging from a plane,building or whatever.

In a recent podcast Mcquarrie scoffed at the idea that he took anything from TDK.
"I needed a truck to go in the water" he said.
Which I think is an interesting response, because that is exactly what I thought when all of the TDK comparisons began.

Honestly while I was watching it, I kept on telling myself how much it reminded me a bit of The Dark Knight, so if I had to pick a director I would say Christopher Nolan :shrug:

Keep Christopher Nolan away from action based franchises

Action is clearly not one of his strong suits & his usual type of tone does not fit Mission Impossible

Also he wouldnt have the full creative control that he likes

Keep Christopher Nolan away from action based franchises

Action is clearly not one of his strong suits & his usual type of tone does not fit Mission Impossible

Also he wouldn't have the full creative control that he likes
You right Nolan would not have final say,as Cruise gets the final word on all his films, I mentioned in another post that I want the action in the next film to be toned down a bit,perhaps make it a lot similar to the 1st movie.So if Nolan were to ever get involved I would hope he would make a film similar to the 1st one.

Gotta say, upon first viewing and not having read about the TDK comparisons going in, that was my very first thought with that scene. Music vibes, staging, the works.

Interesting he's denying it was a conscious intention, could have sworn it was a deliberate tip-of-the-hat.

McQuarrie absolutely kicks the **** out of Nolan in terms of action setpieces though, in retrospect it's a bit of a shame the scenes are so similar, if it wasn't an intentional high-five to British-guy Chris..

You right Nolan would not have final say,as Cruise gets the final word on all his films, I mentioned in another post that I want the action in the next film to be toned down a bit,perhaps make it a lot similar to the 1st movie.So if Nolan were to ever get involved I would hope he would make a film similar to the 1st one.

That would be like Fast & The Furious going back to a movie like the 1st one

Safe to say as long as Cruise is the star Mission Impossible is gonna keep going bigger & bigger

Saw this when it first came out and finally got a second look today.

Enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

While Rogue Nation is a little more light-hearted (and Ghost Protocol is a lot more light-hearted) Fallout is simply great - it had the relentless pace of the Bourne Ultimatum, likeable characters and terrific stunts.

I'm ranking this one up there with MM Fury Road as one of the goat action films ( with Die Hard being number 1 ) but this film is going to be on my list of favourites for a long time to come.

Not really sure how/if Cruise and McQuarrie can top this one, but I'm sure they'll try.

Not sure if I'd call Rogue Nation "light hearted", that's significantly more grim than Ghost Protocol, and not that far off the original and Fallout.

Others have said the same thing about Ghost Protocol.
I don’t think of either movie as being overly humorous.
Am I missing something?

Man even after it was mentioned, I still don't get The Dark Knight thing at all.

There's plenty of similarity to those scenes, tone-wise and in terms of staging. I'm pretty surprised it wasn't intentional.

Honestly, I don't see it. I mean I will say, the China building scene in Dark Knight kind of reminds me of the one from MI:3.

I did like the progression from Rogue Nation to Fallout.

Not sure if I'd call Rogue Nation "light hearted", that's significantly more grim than Ghost Protocol, and not that far off the original and Fallout.

There are a bunch more Benji comic relief moments, and even Cruise does a car hood-slide fail. The opening sequence of Rogue Nation is pretty light ( and impressive) whereas Ghost Protocol starts with a musical number and has fake arms in it....come on now, that's pretty funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"