Mobile Suit Gundam Mega Thread

I'm at Episode #36 now. Finally Lady Une is out of the picture, but now we've got that annyoing blonde student that's a total war ****e. This Anime has got some of the most annoying and irritating women I've ever seen.
Yeah, Dorothy and her weird eyebrows get more annoying as the series goes on. There are other great female characters in the series though. Lucrezia Noin comes to mind.

I'm at Episode #36 now. Finally Lady Une is out of the picture, but now we've got that annyoing blonde student that's a total war ****e. This Anime has got some of the most annoying and irritating women I've ever seen.
Dorothy Catalonia was a bit... odd, but hey, shes the one with a car the size of a tank (and decked out in gold too). She should so go on Top Gear :woot: .

But I know what you mean about the annoyingness. Unfortunately, there are plenty more examples out there of annoying characters (generally female, but there are guys that i wish would just die in some of them).

Quatre and Wufei are both annoying for different reasons.

I don't know why, but annoying women bother me more than annoying men.

It's ovious that Gundam 00 will be dubbed,i hope it is done well..as for it,well i heard it will air in Japan very soon.

Well I thought Lady Une was a great character and one of the best in that particular series.

I thought Wufei was the most annoying character really, especially in the movie.

As for Doorthy, I really hated her upon first viewing of the series. But seeing it years later I think her character was neccessary, but when characters make such broad sweeping generalizations as her, it pisses me and most off. But I have to say Wufei was the only character I really hated in it all. Though Zechs and Treize (and Doorthy) both came close a few times.

I actually think RElena was a good character that suffered from her POV being lost in translation for English (the actress did the best with what she was given). But I think she grows from an immature petulant child into a strong, if nieve ruler into an intelligent and shrewd diplomat who does become a realist in the movie, if you have seen it. She had a huge arc, but because of her annoying habits in the first 5 episodes or so, most fans never forgave her.

But Wufei...hate that kid. Ha.

So, has anyone watched the first two epsiodes of the new series?

Anyone watched 00, yet?

I can only find the first eight episodes on line (subtitled) and have watched the first three, thus far. It seems to be a pretty good show, but somewhat slow moving and a little too enarmored in its own political side, but as the show progresses I hope the characters take over the focus of the show from the political angle which seems a little forced.

The premise seems like a more plausible (though not neccessarily better) version of Gundam Wing. Four pilots are part of a scientist's little group that are misguided in enacting some form of vengence by fighting with super-advanced Gundams. Except instead of fighting for the colonies against an oppressive earth regime (before discovering they are puppets for both sides) they are now fighting against all war mongerers and factions in the world and hope to scare the **** out of armies, governments, terrorists and the likes from continuing to fight.

An interesting concept that is def. more rooted in a plausible future for us than other Gundam shows (albeit the news must never have reached Japan that Ireland began peace talks in 2005 and the IRA has already supposedly disarmed and there has been no violence in the region for a while).

But overall I like where it is heading and can't wait for the rug to be pulled out from under everyone. The main character has got a Heero Yui thing going on and that is not a bad thing, either.

A lot say Setsuna seems more like a mixture of Sousuke Sagara and Heero. Sagara because they have a more similiar background, not to mention further on you'll see another similarity, like around epsiode seven or eight and Heero because of how he is mainly focus on his mission and isn't looking to make friend or what not.

It does start to pick up pace, but it is somewhat slow. The last few epsiodes have been really good and actually develop into that the Gundams, though powerful, can have a hard time with a well coordinated attack as you'll see in epsiode nine and ten.

As far as the gundam meisters been misguided, I don't know. They seem to be fully aware at what they are doing and though at first you think "How can you get rid of war by causing it in the first place." They are doing it for the purpose of forcing the three factions into becoming one and helping each other out because right now there are three solar towers, two which are complete and removing some sort of state called "zero gain" or something like that, where neither faction is gaining anything and are just causing problems by certain factions funding terrorist acts and private arms. That's my opinion right now on why they are doing what they are doing.

I haven't bothered reading the whole thread, so I'll go by some assumption.

My favorite series is Zeta Gundam, and my favorite all time mobile suit is the Hyaku-shiki and Char is my favorite character.

mines was G gundam. I thought it was rather good, i have seen others but im always too late and watch only the middle so i never know whats going on

Anyone know where I can get a box set or collection of the original Gundam series?

Well,you can try the official Gundam website.It's www.GundamOfficial.com or you can check out some anime dealerships,there are sometimes discounts for box set purchases.The original Gundam was quite good,it's a shame it was never fully shown on Cartoon Network.

I have heard that Gundam00 is not that good. What do people think? I hear it's still being shown in Japan.

I've been going over some of my favorite episodes from Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny. Two things really struck me compared to today's conflicts.

1. The parents of Athrun, Dearka, etc. were not like the chickenhawks in today's American capital. They weren't afraid so send their children to war. But at the same time it's frightening because those kids were almost like some Hitler youth. Since they were Coordinators, it promoted the beliefs of ZAFT.

2. The Irrelevance of M.A.D.
Since the two opposing sides were separated by outer space, the concept of M.A.D. no longer mattered. Mutually Assured Destruction, it helped humanity avoid nucleaur holocaust. But since one side lived independently in outer space, and the other on Earth, they could use their weapons of mass destruction. It's frightening what could happen in that situation.

Certainly the entire Coordinators vs Naturals conflict felt very Nazi-like, but that came from both sides of the conflict (Blue Cosmos/LOGOS and Patrick Zala and his followers).

And I never actually considered M.A.D. before now. I remember that after Bloody Valentine, the PLANT Supreme Council decided to employ the N-Jammers as a measured response, so I'm not quite sure whether or not M.A.D. is completely irrelevant (although they did have plenty of other nasty superweapons).

As for the sons of Council members going off to fight... well, how is that so different to the old idea of the sons of aristocrats going off to war in the last few centuries? Hell, I reckon that the PLANTS were an aristocratic republic just without any titles. Think of the Lacus/Athrun pairing; the two most prominent "houses" of the PLANTS combining.

Certainly the entire Coordinators vs Naturals conflict felt very Nazi-like, but that came from both sides of the conflict (Blue Cosmos/LOGOS and Patrick Zala and his followers).

And I never actually considered M.A.D. before now. I remember that after Bloody Valentine, the PLANT Supreme Council decided to employ the N-Jammers as a measured response, so I'm not quite sure whether or not M.A.D. is completely irrelevant (although they did have plenty of other nasty superweapons).

Yeah, but Blue Cosmos' efforts to have enhanced child soldiers weren't as effective as ZAFT's. At least with Athrun and friends they had more of a choice - which is just as scary.

My point about M.A.D. is that initially it would seem irrelevant in the initial plans of the two sides. If one side believes they have the only ultimate weapon then the concepts of M.A.D. would be meaningless to them in their situation.

Well, I suppose. The tyranny of distance would work against MAD very easily.

However, I am surprised, on recollection, to see that ZAFT never really expected an attack from the poles of the PLANTS. It brings to mind that old indication of "Two-dimensional thinking". So much for superior intellect beating superior experiance/creativity.

And I could poke tonnes of holes in the poor use of the physics of outer space and bemoan that creative uses are even more fun than "fly past the enemy and shoot!"...

But that would be missing the point. Even if I am right.

Didn't like Seed at all. I did at first because as you two have pointed out there were some good issues that could have made the series very provocative. Unfortunatley it took too long to go nowhere and the animation was really pitiful.

The Gundam designs weren't bad though.

at this point anything other than the U.C. (and wing, but more for sentimental reasons) is a waste of time for me. I want double Zeta to come on DVD next because even though I heard it isn't all that great I want to complete my collection of all the shows from the original to Char's counterattack.

Yeah; Seed and Destiny were a lot of good ideas that suffered from poor execution (especially in Destiny; the last few episodes were incredibly rushed!).

Didn't like Seed at all. I did at first because as you two have pointed out there were some good issues that could have made the series very provocative. Unfortunatley it took too long to go nowhere and the animation was really pitiful.

The Gundam designs weren't bad though.

at this point anything other than the U.C. (and wing, but more for sentimental reasons) is a waste of time for me. I want double Zeta to come on DVD next because even though I heard it isn't all that great I want to complete my collection of all the shows from the original to Char's counterattack.

Of course, the first Gundam and Zeta are so classic.

My personal favorites are Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam: Stadust Memeories and Gundam Wing, in that order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"