Most Overrated Movies You've Seen

SentinelMind

Sidekick
Reaction score
I don't think there's a thread like this, but if so, please merge...

Any movies you've seen that most people regard as classics or pretty good which you think were bad or even utter trash?

I'll start: I just watched Raging Bull this weekend by Martin Scorcese. Some people regard this movie as one of the greatest films of the 80s and one of Scorcese's best. Those That kind of statement is a slap to the face of the entire 80s film industry.

Raging Bull, follows Jake La Motta, a middle weight boxer known famously for fighting Sugar Ray Robinson , stars Robert Deniro, includes Joe Pesci..etc.. The movie was horrible. It was boring for most part, you don't care about the main character (who essentially was a monstrous, lustful, perverted, violent piece of crap), you don't care about the main story, you just watch a disturbed man with no reedeming qualities as his life deservingly spirals out of control. No character development, no gripping conflict, just perversion and violence after violence. The only good parts of movie was Deniro's acting (I won't knock his Academy Award win) and the technical directing was good, but overall the film is utter trash. The ending was also an insult to the audience's intelligence and self-respect.

I had bought the movie as Black Friday special (I saw it was on sale for 2 dollars and at times movies I'm curious to see I'll make a spur of the moment purchase. After watching it, I literally threw the DVD in the trash. Better than renting it for $4 at Blockbuster.)

These threads never end well. Someone's overrated is always' someone else's favorite.

While I'm posting, to answer the question I have to say Donnie Darko.

This thread is going to end well :hehe:

Yodaman said:
These threads never end well. Someone's overrated is always' someone else's favorite.

[HeathJoker voice]And that's the point. you'll have to choose.[/Heathjoker]
:hoboj::oldrazz:

While I'm posting, to answer the question I have to say Donnie Darko.
Hm...I'll agree with that. For most people, its one of those movies you either hate or love,....for me its not utterly horrible, but i agree its overrated.

I've never seen Bladerunner, that's one movie I've always meant to rent.

I don't think there's a thread like this, but if so, please merge...

Any movies you've seen that most people regard as classics or pretty good which you think were bad or even utter trash?

I'll start: I just watched Raging Bull this weekend by Martin Scorcese. Some people regard this movie as one of the greatest films of the 80s and one of Scorcese's best. Those That kind of statement is a slap to the face of the entire 80s film industry.

Raging Bull, follows Jake La Motta, a middle weight boxer known famously for fighting Sugar Ray Robinson , stars Robert Deniro, includes Joe Pesci..etc.. The movie was horrible. It was boring for most part, you don't care about the main character (who essentially was a monstrous, lustful, perverted, violent piece of crap), you don't care about the main story, you just watch a disturbed man with no reedeming qualities as his life deservingly spirals out of control. No character development, no gripping conflict, just perversion and violence after violence. The only good parts of movie was Deniro's acting (I won't knock his Academy Award win) and the technical directing was good, but overall the film is utter trash. The ending was also an insult to the audience's intelligence and self-respect.

I had bought the movie as Black Friday special (I saw it was on sale for 2 dollars and at times movies I'm curious to see I'll make a spur of the moment purchase. After watching it, I literally threw the DVD in the trash. Better than renting it for $4 at Blockbuster.)

You obviously "missed" the point. If you want an inspiring, uplifting story with an endearing character, go watch Rocky. Raging Bull is a poetic, masterful depiction of a truly retched individual on his downward spiral towards self destruction. It has amazing acting, flawless direction, and an incredibly realistic screenplay. What more can you ask for in a movie? Not enough sunshine and lollypops for you I guess.

After watching Batman Returns years ago...I think that movie was way overrated...although I think outside comic book movie lovers, the appeal of that movie has died down a bit.

I think this should be locked, because seriously like 2 weeks ago there was a thread just like this. It seems every two week some one who has not been here for a while starts another one lol.

Fer sure. It's just going to be another TDK cluster****.

You obviously "missed" the point. If you want an inspiring, uplifting story with an endearing character, go watch Rocky. Raging Bull is a poetic, masterful depiction of a truly retched individual on his downward spiral towards self destruction. It has amazing acting, flawless direction, and an incredibly realistic screenplay. What more can you ask for in a movie? Not enough sunshine and lollypops for you I guess.

I like how you put missed it quotation marks, very appropriate. :cwink: No I didn't "miss" the point. The point of a movie is to be entertained, moved internally, informed. This movie did none of this. You don't care about the main character at all. He doesn't change and he's not redeemed in anyway. It was boring beyond despair. Just because its realistic or gritty doesn't mean its a good movie or even a story worth telling. If any body had submitted this movie as a script, it would have been thrown in trash,...but its Martin Scorcese...so its excellent. The whole boxing matches served little to no purpose.

and I actually have Rocky DVD...now that's a good movie.

Last edited:
This is going to get ugly! * pulls up a chair and some popcorn* :hyper:

Forrest Gump - The film may be fun for many on a literal, but the morals and themes were infuriating. Ignorance is bliss? What!?
Star Trek reboot - A fun film that will probably be on my top 10 of the year, but I'm lost on how some call it a modern masterpiece.
District 9 - Read above.
Sixth Sense - To be honest, I don't care for any of Shamalan's films, other than maybe Unbreakable. While the film does have some good performances, I didn't find the film suspensful or thrilling at all. Not to mention I knew Bruce was dead throughout the film.

The State Your unPopular Film Opinion's Thread kind of serves as an overrated movies thread

Go shove your little oragami unicorn down your throat . I said its overrated, not that its a bad movie. I just dont think its one of the best sci fi films ever (save for the visuals).

Calm down.

Forrest Gump - The film may be fun for many on a literal, but the morals and themes were infuriating. Ignorance is bliss? What!?

:up:

Now that you mention Forrest Gump, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button came to mind. It's not only overrated, I thought it was a bad film apart from all of the technical aspects of it.

Also, The Hangover.

I think it's all a matter of taste, not overrated or underrated. I don't like nihilism in any of my films, and alot of people do. My strongest beef with some movies is the ones that offer no hope in their message, or are way to dark in their message. It's not a matter of uderrated or over, it's what I like and what I don't like.

Last edited:
Gladiator
Spider-man 2
Pirates of the Caribbean
Crash
Shakespeare In Love

2001. Pure nonsense. I'll openly admit I didn't "get it" if there was anything to get. And the fact that people list the most random scene in history (apparently known as the stargate sequence) as one of the best cinematic scenes in history...I'll never understand it. The movie itself or its praise.

He means 2001: Space Odyssey

Mine are: Spider-Man 1 and 2, Babel, Juno, 300, Transformers, Terminator 2, Backdraft, Titanic, the Notebook, Batman, Batman Returns, Superman, Superman II and Avatar.

^ You've seen Avatar? (not doubting just askin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"