Most Overreated Actor/Actress of all time

marlon brando

His style is derived from his lack of ability to remember lines, he squints and stares because he's looking at a cue card, so basically all he does is read

Didn't he read off a cue card placed in baby kal el's ship in Superman?

Batattack said:
Didn't he read off a cue card placed in baby kal el's ship in Superman?

yup, and his suposed triumph in 'on the waterfront' you can see him reading lines off screen, his head moves and everything, tis sad.

Robert DeNiro is another overrated actor, he mainly plays the same character, which is not much of a leap in all honesty, barely acting if you see him in interveiws.

Now a good actor would be someone like Gael Garcia Bernal, just stand in awe at his performances, Amorros Perros is my fav of his. Did I mention I'm now working with his old housemate from drama school, who is also an amazing actor, one of the best in the indie london scene for sure! (yeah a free plug for me there)

Ben Affleck is overrated...as a bad actor. He's a lot better than people give him credit for. Sure, he's no Olivier but movies like Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy and Changing Lanes have some good Affleck performances in them. Hell, I even liked him in Daredevil, although I realize that I'm in the minority. (A minority of one perhaps!) I don't see him getting a Best Actor Oscar anytime soon or anything like that, but he'll never be the worst actor on Earth as long as people like Johnny Knoxville and David Arquette exist.

What about John Heder and Napoleon Dynamite? He's pretty overrated because of that piece of Napoleon Dynamite film (I don't even think it qualifies as being called a film).

Cyrusbales said:
Robert DeNiro is another overrated actor, he mainly plays the same character, which is not much of a leap in all honesty, barely acting if you see him in interveiws.

Read my first post.

And actors aren't supposed to "act" in interviews. They supposed to be themselves. De Niro's just tight-lipped.

C.F. Kane said:
Read my first post.

And actors aren't supposed to "act" in interviews. They supposed to be themselves. De Niro's just tight-lipped.

Just read your first post. diversity in acting has been around since the turn of the century and before. When someone is as 'big' as deniro, he can do whatever parts he wants mostly, yet ends up doing the same act badly over and over again.

Gwyneth Paltrow and Catherine Zeta Jones

Shuley said:
Michael Keaton pretty much sucked in just about everything he did,except BeetleJuice.Maybe that's why you don't hear from him anymore.

9 out of 10 times I would agree but I recently saw a Michael Keaton movie I had forgotten about - Multiplicity. That movie is hysterical.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Julia Roberts. Half her roles could've done done by superior actresses. She didn't deserve an Oscar. She cashed in on her Pretty Woman schtick, and it got old fast. She was great in her eearly work, and I doubt there are any other actresses who could've done a better Erin Brockovich (though I still don't think she deserved the Oscar), but other than that, her range is flat and she doesn't have amazing range.

Do not knock the Goddess!!!:cmad:

julia_roberts_58.jpg

e-three said:
Ben Affleck is overrated...as a bad actor. He's a lot better than people give him credit for. Sure, he's no Olivier but movies like Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy and Changing Lanes have some good Affleck performances in them. Hell, I even liked him in Daredevil, although I realize that I'm in the minority. (A minority of one perhaps!) I don't see him getting a Best Actor Oscar anytime soon or anything like that, but he'll never be the worst actor on Earth as long as people like Johnny Knoxville and David Arquette exist.

agreed. the Fleck is an actor with a lot more talent and charisma than common sense. he just picks really bad roles.

Something to clear about the famous Brando reading his lines thing. It was mainly in his mature days, not in his streetcar, waterfront, julious caesar, zapata days. And not in all the movies, mainly in the ones that he wasnt very interested about.

mister Lennon said:
Something to clear about the famous Brando reading his lines thing. It was mainly in his mature days, not in his streetcar, waterfront, julious caesar, zapata days. And not in all the movies, mainly in the ones that he wasnt very interested about.

yeah, he did read from cue cards in 'on the waterfront' watch the full documentaries etc. It's common knowledge, any fan would know that.

DeNiro - Same person in every movie
Tom Hanks - He's all right. People confuse his greatness as a "Hollywood Personality" for greatness as an "actor". He's done some terrible, terrible stuff, and people just eat it up, 'cause it's "him". :o

Cyrusbales said:
yup, and his suposed triumph in 'on the waterfront' you can see him reading lines off screen, his head moves and everything, tis sad.

Now a good actor would be someone like Gael Garcia Bernal, just stand in awe at his performances, Amorros Perros is my fav of his. Did I mention I'm now working with his old housemate from drama school, who is also an amazing actor, one of the best in the indie london scene for sure! (yeah a free plug for me there)

:huh: What?

I think you should re-watch all his movies, he plays different characters in every his film.

It can be a strong crime drama like Godfather II or a dark and depressive thriller like Taxi Driver. He even plays in comedy films (Meet F***ers) and in biopics of famous millionaires and boxers (The Last Tycoon; Raging Bull). I doubt you could do all this stuff.

So thinking of him as a overrated actor sound dumb.

e-three said:

Agreed :up:

Cyrusbales said:
marlon brando

His style is derived from his lack of ability to remember lines, he squints and stares because he's looking at a cue card, so basically all he does is read

Good thing you're the only person in the world to think that, and most of the acting community -- who are much much better experts than you -- agree he's one of the greatest actors of all time who pretty much established the method acting.

As soon as Brando appears in 'The Wild One', you instantly, within the first second, believe his character. I've never seen an actor able to do that.

As far as the De Niro thing....just wow man. Do you intentionally go against popular opinion just to be different? I mean, you gave props to Robin Williams for Bicentennial Man. LOL.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Jude Law. He plays the same annoying, arrogant yet charming Brit in almost every film he's been in, and almost nothing else. And yet he still gets heaps of praise mounted upon him. I remember a few years where he was nominated for almost every single superhero role. Jude Law for The Joker! Jude Law for The Riddler! Jude Law for Superman! Jude Law for Catwoman!

LMAO!

I think the most overrated actors are everyday people.

Hear me out.

One of the biggest problems with actors and the acting art today is that anyone thinks that they're an expert at the craft. From the first steps onstage in a Christmas pageant there's some soccer mom who's never heard of Hagen or Strasberg advising her kids to put emphasis on nice sounding words. And it continues, right up to the professional level, with people like us criticizing what we consider to be "bad" acting, "playing the same character over and over", "working on emotion rather than text", and on and on. None of us, save for those who've had professional acting experience, have any authority to judge what constitutes and good or bad acting habit; and for any of us to even attempt to be the be-all and end-all critics of professionals, it signifies the further decay of the art of acting.

It's disrespectful to the art and the artists.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Good thing you're the only person in the world to think that, and most of the acting community -- who are much much better experts than you -- agree he's one of the greatest actors of all time who pretty much established the method acting.

As soon as Brando appears in 'The Wild One', you instantly, within the first second, believe his character. I've never seen an actor able to do that.

As far as the De Niro thing....just wow man. Do you intentionally go against popular opinion just to be different? I mean, you gave props to Robin Williams for Bicentennial Man. LOL.

That's exactly what I think.

SolidSnakeMGS said:

Brando was lucky to get some good roles in some good films with great scripts. Yet he does come across very similar in most of his classic work. He established method acting? IS that what you think? You're a good 50 years late at least with that, but I won't go into that, it's too much of an easy win.

De Niro is hugely overrated, one of the greatest actors ever? Seriously? If you only ever watch a limited scope of movies, then maybe, but take any decade of film and you'll find a whole multitude of vast;y superior performances.

As for the 'acting community' thing, I know quite a lot about that whole side of life, being it's an integral part of what I do every single day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"