MoviePass, Sinemia, A-List & Beyond - Subscription Theatergoing

As long as my plan continues to work the same way (I got it at 9.95 per month), then I am still good. But yeah...this sucks for people and surely will lose them potential customers. This is a horribly managed company.

I'm currently prepaid for 12 months on the $9.95 plan, will I be able to renew the same plan?

As long as I continue to pay my 10 bucks a month for one movie a day, every day.... something I’ve been taking advantage of since October, I’m good.

I'm currently prepaid for 12 months on the $9.95 plan, will I be able to renew the same plan?

I signed up on the monthly plan that wasn't a prepay. I just pay 10 bucks a month. I am hoping come next month, I am not forced into a new plan.

Moviepass is an upstart in the industry, they're gonna try and tank it however they can.

I mean did they not just attach a bankrupt company's library to their subscription?

Honestly, I don't believe MoviePass in its current incarnation can last, and unless they make drastic changes, I fully expect them to fall apart in the next couple years...probably even quicker than that. But until they do, I absolutely intend to reap the benefits as much as I can, because right now, it's just plain awesome.

Honestly, I don't believe MoviePass in its current incarnation can last, and unless they make drastic changes, I fully expect them to fall apart in the next couple years...probably even quicker than that. But until they do, I absolutely intend to reap the benefits as much as I can, because right now, it's just plain awesome.

Agreed. I don't see them lasting forever. I just hope they at least last until close until 2019 ends, since I plan on using my MoviePass a lot come Avengers 4 next year :oldrazz:

CinemaCon: From MoviePass to Saudi Arabia, 5 Things to Look For

3.) MoviePass Crashes the Party
The Netflix-like subscription service has disrupted theater-going, but questions remain about its financial health following a skeptical auditor’s report. If MoviePass is able to keep itself afloat and can keep adding to its millions of subscribers, exhibitors may have no choice but to make a deal with the start-up. If its practice of buying tickets at full price and then heavily subsidizing them for its customers yields to laws of conventional arithmetic, it may rank as a noble, but failed, attempt to revolutionize an industry in need of fresh ideas. Whatever the outcome, attention will be paid by CinemaCon attendees.

It's getting folks backnto the theater so hey. They may not wanna trash it just yet.

At least someone is trying. The major exhibitors aren't.

MoviePass Poll: Subscribers See Far More Films; Many Go Alone and Midweek

The first major poll of MoviePass subscribers comes to an indisputable conclusion — the monthly subscription service is dramatically changing moviegoing habits for the better at a time when theater owners and Hollywood studios are hard-pressed to stem the continued downtick in cinema attendance.

An exclusive survey conducted by the National Research Group for The Hollywood Reporter found that 83 percent of MoviePass patrons — who can pay as little as $6.95 a month to see one film a day — are more satisfied with MoviePass than any other subscription service (think Netflix) and are seeing more movies than they did previously, as well as a more diverse offering.

On average, subscribers have taken six more trips to the cinema in the past six months than nonsubscribers, while they are twice as likely to go on opening weekend. And nearly half of MoviePass customers say they are now willing to take a trip to the theater alone, while a hefty number (42 percent) happily go midweek.

"It's a service people adore. If you de-risk the moviegoing experience, people will go and see more films," NRG CEO Jon Penn says. "Whether the economics of MoviePass are viable and whether the business part of it works is a huge question mark."

NRG released the findings as studios and theater owners gather this week in Las Vegas for CinemaCon, where the controversial service is sure to be a chief topic of discussion.

MoviePass subscribers are themselves dubious: 63 percent think it's too good to be true, including 37 percent who strongly believe such is the case.

Their skepticism isn't unfounded.

Currently, the only plan available to new patrons, a $9.95-per-month bundle package with iHeartRadio, limits the number of movies a person can see to one title per week, or roughly four per month, a radical change from recent promotions which grant access to one movie per day.

In August 2017, MoviePass — upon selling a majority stake to Helios + Matheson Analytics — slashed its monthly unlimited price to $9.95 from as much as $50, depending upon the region. The price was subsequently lowered to $6.95, with certain provisions. MoviePass must pay theater owners the difference for each ticket used.

MoviePass, which counts more than 2 million subscribers, has bet on customers easing up on their consumption after the initial blush wears off. But that might not be the case. The NRG poll suggests most customers continue to "feast," says Penn.

More than half of MoviePass customers named specific titles they never would have paid full-freight to see, including Daddy's Home 2, All the Money in the World and A Bad Mom's Christmas. And nearly 60 percent of subscribers would go to the cinema less often were it not for MoviePass.

Roughly three-quarters of subscribers surveyed by NRG said they signed up in the past six months. Their chief reason was the desire to see more films and save money at the same time.

NRG's online poll surveyed more than 1,500 online moviegoers (including 439 MoviePass subscribers), ages 18 to 74, during March 14-19. The results found that subscribers skew male (55 percent), while 44 percent live in large markets and 41 percent reside in California, New York, Florida and Texas, compared with 34 percent of nonsubscribers.

Another key finding: MoviePass customers are far less concerned about a movie's Rotten Tomatoes score, with 35 percent saying they would be willing to ignore a bad rating.

While the economics of MoviePass may be up for debate, its success in winning over consumers can't be discounted. Cinemark, one of the three largest theater operators in the U.S., has recently introduced a monthly subscription program of its own. Members of Cinemark's loyalty program who pay $8.99 a month receive one free ticket per month, plus other perks.

The NRG survey notes that MoviePass customer would be willing to pay $15 per month for the service, while nonsubscribers would pay a median price of $10 per month.

"It brings in the whole idea of innovation in finding ways to get \people to see movies," says Penn. "It is a conversation the entire industry might have."

MoviePass1%20(3).jpg

They said they'd be selling data to pay for those tickets, lol.

I don't see why it would be a problem. I mean, if your moviegoing habits are the worst violation of privacy you've encountered in today's world, I'd say you're in pretty good shape.

Honestly, my bank records can be used to show what movies I see if one so choosed. So, I don't care, LOL! Not much they can do with the info that I watch a lot of CBMs.

They'll start sending you info on becoming an actual superhero.

They said they'd be selling data to pay for those tickets, lol.

Read the fine print people.

I don't see why it would be a problem. I mean, if your moviegoing habits are the worst violation of privacy you've encountered in today's world, I'd say you're in pretty good shape.

Honestly, my bank records can be used to show what movies I see if one so choosed. So, I don't care, LOL! Not much they can do with the info that I watch a lot of CBMs.
Alone it may not seem like a big deal but you have to look at the bigger picture. This information is more than merely the movies you watch, it's all the information they gather about you, watching these movies. It helps develop a fuller profile. Where do you go, how often, when. What movies do you prefer. A lot more than you realize is gleaned off this information.

It is only the start too.

They will sell this to someone who will take it, and combine this information with your shopping habits, where you live, work, what sites you visit online, where you eat and every other bit of "useless" information they can and build a profile of who you are, accurate or not (often times it is flawed but otherwise it is your advertising profile). That, then is sold to other advertisers and data analytics who use it to advertise to you and can be quite comprehensive.

Places like Cambridge Analytica (you know, the Facebook "data thieves") pay good money for this kind of information.

So in itself, probably not valuable but it's a piece of a puzzle. The more pieces you have, the better your picture of who you are is revealed.

Meh, I get cheap movies :o

Alone it may not seem like a big deal but you have to look at the bigger picture. This information is more than merely the movies you watch, it's all the information they gather about you, watching these movies. It helps develop a fuller profile. Where do you go, how often, when. What movies do you prefer. A lot more than you realize is gleaned off this information.

It is only the start too.

They will sell this to someone who will take it, and combine this information with your shopping habits, where you live, work, what sites you visit online, where you eat and every other bit of "useless" information they can and build a profile of who you are, accurate or not (often times it is flawed but otherwise it is your advertising profile). That, then is sold to other advertisers and data analytics who use it to advertise to you and can be quite comprehensive.

Places like Cambridge Analytica (you know, the Facebook "data thieves") pay good money for this kind of information.

So in itself, probably not valuable but it's a piece of a puzzle. The more pieces you have, the better your picture of who you are is revealed.
I'm aware of all that, but at the same time...I don't care? Like none of that feels like sensitive information to me. I don't care if some rando in another country knows my shopping/lifestyle habits, or if more ads I encounter are catered to me. Only stuff I worry about on this front is potentially being hacked/identity theft. People knowing how I spend my time for data purposes seriously doesn't bother me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"