MPAA Rating (Note: Officially PG-13)

Yeah, shooting for R would not be a good idea. All the great scenes may be R and then they'll have to cut them... leaving the movie useless and bland. I agree that some extra shots, just in case, can be done though. Or maybe shoot for 2 cuts... as most movies are made with DVD in mind nowadays anyway.

FlameHead said:
Yeah, shooting for R would not be a good idea. All the great scenes may be R and then they'll have to cut them... leaving the movie useless and bland. I agree that some extra shots, just in case, can be done though. Or maybe shoot for 2 cuts... as most movies are made with DVD in mind nowadays anyway.

I know thats what George Romero is doing w/ his latest zombie film "Land of the Dead". they are shooting an all out gore fest for a uncut/unrated dvd release later on but at the same time shooting "tamer scenes" for the rated R theatrical release.
Dont know if MSJ would have the time to do that but it would be cool..

Yeah, that would eat up a lot of time... and budget. Maybe that's what 100 million is for? Would be nice to see two versions of the film though, be them R rated or not. That'll give us something more to wait for when waiting for the DVD... not that the special features that'll be packed wouldn't be enough.

PG-13 in theatres...more money. R on DVD...still more money...haha.

Sounds good to me... and I know money sounds good to them. Money, Money, Money...

I agree that it should be PG-13 with cut scenes but I wouldn't mind it being R as long as the make it look more realistic.

I could care less what they rate it, I'm there regardless.

But I voted pg-13 because I feel more people will see it that way and I don't think its neccesary for it to be r to be good.

I'm not sure if I have done so yet but, welcome to the Hype Warrior and Zrthsgr. Hopefully we'll see you both around the GR section often.

Do you think Ghost Rider will be rated 'R' or 'PG-13'? I hope it'll be rated R, in the same vein as The Punisher and Blade, as he's a dark hero. I'd rather it isn't a PG-13 movie like Spider-Man. What do you guys say?

this was talked about awhile back. they already agreed to make it PG13...GR is one of those unique comic characters that can be done under either rating...where as the Punisher is more suited to be done as an R.
just look how dark and violent some recent PG13 films were...Grudge, The Ring, Lord of the Rings trilogy, and even the most classic horror film of all ...Jaws was rated w/ a mere PG in the mid 70s. im not concerned about this too much...but rather on the more important aspects like the story and acting

I don't mind that it won't be as 'hard' as originally conceived. Ghost Rider beats the crap out of bad guys; he doesn't hack them into tiny pieces, and he's got the fantastic penance stare, so you don't need blood and guts. Having said that, it'd be nice if they filmed some harder stuff for release as a Director's Cut DVD like they did with Daredevil.:rolleyes:

FlameHead said:
If the flesh melting is something that will make this movie an R, then it needs to be an R. I know they're not going to make it an R but they better have that flesh melting transformation in there. Graphic or not, it has to be there.

I'm sure it will be pg-13. I mean look at Van Helsing it showed a part where some guy just rips his flesh open to turn into a werewolf. That was pg-13. I'm sure Ghost Rider will be easily a pg-13 movie as long as it isn't really graphic.

FlameHead said:
If the flesh melting is something that will make this movie an R, then it needs to be an R. I know they're not going to make it an R but they better have that flesh melting transformation in there. Graphic or not, it has to be there.

I don't think the flesh on his face has to melt away per say. But I think it can be creepy and frightening even without it. Something like the Human Torch effect with a clean scull emerging from the flames

Then again think about Raiders of the Lost Arc

That was PG right? Didn't the Nazis faces melt away in that one at the end, I think their eyeballs even fall out.

Look at the face tear sequence in Poltergeist (infront of the Mirror) that movie some how got a PG rateing even though it was hella scary.

Scull faces even melting flesh don't always equate to R, it is violence and gore and brutality and guns that usualy result in R.

oh and sex don't forget sex, If SIn City didn't have all the topless girls and sexual content it probubly would have been PG 13.

yeah but that was clay , a flesh melting effect today with the new technology would be to graphic

AmerikazMostWanted said:
yeah but that was clay , a flesh melting effect today with the new technology would be to graphic

It is still the same concept though.

The Sequence in Poltergiest was at the time perfect FX, and the sequence at the end of Raiders felt the same. The makers of Poltergiest had to appeal (the the MPAA) and won, without changeing the movie.

It would be easy to make the same claims when apllying for a rating of PG 13.

Just becasue the SFX has now gone digital it still doesnt change the concept, the face melts off.

Look at Pirates of the Caribean

Maybe it doesn't have to be graphic when his face melts off. I mean look at the Dave Matthews Band music video "I did it" when that black guys face melted off. If they did it like that then they can get away with a pg-13 movie.

I say "R". I consider it horror, & want his transformations to be all-out, which they really can't do under PG-13. I feel the biggest mistake they made w/"Spawn" was going for PG-13, especially so soon after the animated show hit. Don't repeat it. Why try to make a kid-friendly movie based on a concept that isn't? Kids don't read "Ghost Rider". And they shouldn't.

Weadazoid said:
I don't think the flesh on his face has to melt away per say. But I think it can be creepy and frightening even without it. Something like the Human Torch effect with a clean scull emerging from the flames

Then again think about Raiders of the Lost Arc

That was PG right? Didn't the Nazis faces melt away in that one at the end, I think their eyeballs even fall out.

Look at the face tear sequence in Poltergeist (infront of the Mirror) that movie some how got a PG rateing even though it was hella scary.

Scull faces even melting flesh don't always equate to R, it is violence and gore and brutality and guns that usualy result in R.

oh and sex don't forget sex, If SIn City didn't have all the topless girls and sexual content it probubly would have been PG 13.

Sin City's R came from a lot more than the Nudity. That movie was more brutal than pretty much anything I've ever seen. The sex wasn't all that brought that movie up in rating.

Your right on Raiders though. I completly forgot about that.

Flamehead, I don't think Sin City's Violenc is on par with say, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, and even Kill Bill.

Sin City was violent, but it was violence in fun, even the castration those sequences were not meant to turn stomacks, nothing get's to me more then seeing Bunny, use the but end of his shot gun to pop the guys (poor guy with one leg) head open in Platoon.

The sentence "violence in Fun" is reason enough to consider it more violent than any of those movies you mention. The very fact that they made light of the extreame violence was what was edgy about this flick.

I still say seeing Bunny (Kevin Dillon) pop the kids head open or the guy gripping up his arm and walking with it in Saving Private Ryan was more gut wrenching then anything Sin City provided

I put the Violence in SIn City more on par with Japanease anime like Ninja Scroll and live action flicks like Kill Bill V1 & 2

Think about in Resevoir dogs dued cuts the guys ear off that is R rated Violence.

Or in Bad Liutenant the, Harvey Kietels Rape sequence come on.

Or Pulp Ficiton the Sequence with the Hill Billies (worse and far more graphic then Diliverance)

SIn City just was stylized too much it almost had beauty to it, much as I view Ninja Scroll. Look many how many times do you get to see a giant Rock guy with a huge weapon stuck in his head try to use it to kill the hero?

:D
Weadazoid said:
I still say seeing Bunny (Kevin Dillon) pop the kids head open or the guy gripping up his arm and walking with it in Saving Private Ryan was more gut wrenching then anything Sin City provided

I put the Violence in SIn City more on par with Japanease anime like Ninja Scroll and live action flicks like Kill Bill V1 & 2

Think about in Resevoir dogs dued cuts the guys ear off that is R rated Violence.

Or Pulp Ficiton the Sequence with the Hill Billies (worse and far more graphic then Diliverance)

SIn City just was stylized too much it almost had beauty to it, much as I view Ninja Scroll. Look many how many times do you get to see a giant Rock guy with a huge weapon stuck in his head try to use it to kill the hero?

Ah, Ninja Scroll. I bloody love that film.

"Gemmaaaaaa! Burn in your golden hell!!!!"

Sorry, what were we discussing?

:D

Weadazoid said:

The violence in each of those movies was brutal, I agree. I wasn't really comparing Sin City to anything else; I was mearly saying the R came from the extreame violence, not just the nudity.

Violence is Violence. I personally find it worse to watch sometime violent and laugh at it then it is to watch something violent and feel sorry for the victem. Stylized or not, any type of violence is not something we should take lightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"