MPAA Rating (Note: Officially PG-13)

Kuato said:
I don't know man...if you read the news items or the boards at sites like Chud.com or Joblo.com and AICN there certainly seems to be a general feeling that if X3 turns out good it would be more surprising than if it turns out to be a ****ty movie. I mean you know Brett Ratner is directing it and that it is being RUSHED through production right? Also if you believer the rumours half the reason X3 is being rushed is just so Fox can get it out before Superman and stick it Singer.

I have posted this before...but there really was some interesting discussions about the subject here:

http://chud.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85482

Mission Impossible 3 could really go either way as well...despite the first two films success the overall quality of the films could be debated and is anybody really clamoring for another sequel? And when will the whole Crazy Tom thing come back to bite Cruise? I agree with you on POTC and The DaVinci Code...those are guaranteed blockbusters.

Well you are right when you say there rushing it,and that really hurt Elektra,and I have heard rumors of cyclops and Night crawler not returning,So it may not be quite as good as I hope. MI3,I think your right on that to,it could go either way,I cant wait to see it because I like JJ abrams. and even POTC may not do as good.Opening weekend it'll sky-rocket but if its stupid or not quite as funny it may not surpass the sequel. So Ghost Rider has alot of potenial! I guess will just have to wait and see.

Chris Wallace said:
Actually the PG-13 rating hurts my expectations a little bit. Some movies-despite being based on comic books & surrounding costumed characters-should not be made family friendly. I wouldn't want a PG-13 Punisher or Crow movie, for example. I still think that was their biggest mistake w/"Spawn". They watered it down & it just went nowhere. And there's no need for it. Kids don't read "Ghost Rider". I won't let my kids read Ghost Rider. It's a mature theme & should be handled accordingly. :ghost:

I can understand why you'd want an R rating for Ghost Rider and perhaps an R rated movie would be interesting but there wouldn't be all that much difference. I personally have faith that a PG-13 rating will deliver everything we want because again, Ghost Rider does not kill humans. He'll still be brutal in his vengeance and the movie will be dark so, that's all we really need. The Punisher is much different as he does kill humans and will hopefully be Marvels first R movie. If any movie should be, it's that.

I'm not sure about your statement on kids reading Ghost Rider though. It has always (up until the current run) been on the shelves along with every other comic out there. Kids read it. I've been readin' them since I was an early teen and I know others who started earlier... which also gives me faith in the PG-13. If the comics weren't rated for adults then the movie doesn't have to be.

ghost rider is planned to be pg13 right??that kinda sucks for me cuz i want the pain and violence from the comic series(like when blaze/ketch transform how the flesh just melts and drips off thier face til its a skull).back on topic i hope when the dvd comes out there will be an uncut version with alot of violent extra footage.what do yall think?

wow, all this time and i just ASSumed that is was rated R...Look at punisher: that was R.....wasen't Keanutine R as well? it has to be R......has to!

Toxin66 said:
wow, all this time and i just ASSumed that is was rated R...Look at punisher: that was R.....wasen't Keanutine R as well? it has to be R......has to!

nope...sorry..its going to be PG13
and to be honest they can get by w/ a PG13 rating....a good example of this were the Lord of the Rings films where non-human creatures were cut to ribbons by axes, swords, ect. they used quick camera cuts which also helped.
melting flesh has been done before in PG and PG13 films...Poltergeist and Raiders of the Lost Ark are some examples .
GR can be done either as an R or PG13...even both of the original comic series were actually aimed at kids 13 and up. it wasnt adult reading material like Hellblazer (aka Constantine)
would it it make a better film if it was rated R? its possible ...just as long as GR isnt made into a serial killer like some people feel he should be :rolleyes:

Ya I don't think it will be a problem, it's not like he absoluely mutilates people anyway. Should he happen to send a fireball at somebody it may ever be cooler that it doesn't burn their physical being.

naw what im tryin to get atis....i know gr doesnt kill...often.but the villians do....violently. which is what i dont wanna lose out on. however those were very good points about other movies pg-pg13 biggun. i hadnt considered that. also i donnt want gr to take a human life (*ketch series) but i want blackheart and his minions to be as torturous and violent as they are in the comic.also another question does anybody know if blackheart will take his true demonnic form in the movie? i hope so

That's actually a good point. What kinds of havoc are Blackheart and his cronies going to wreak on the good folk of Melbourne, er, I mean Texas?

:D

thakey said:
naw what im tryin to get atis....i know gr doesnt kill...often.but the villians do....violently. which is what i dont wanna lose out on. however those were very good points about other movies pg-pg13 biggun. i hadnt considered that. also i donnt want gr to take a human life (*ketch series) but i want blackheart and his minions to be as torturous and violent as they are in the comic.also another question does anybody know if blackheart will take his true demonnic form in the movie? i hope so

If you read through virtually any GR comic, the gore is usually pretty understated. Hell, even Midnight Massacre (prolly the most brutal of the GR/Midnight Sons arcs) was pretty subtle. Quick cuts and silhouettes, or hints at the aftermath are just as effective.

The characters and events can be very violent and disturbing without being graphic. I prefer it that way sometimes.

BIGGUN said:
nope...sorry..its going to be PG13
and to be honest they can get by w/ a PG13 rating....a good example of this were the Lord of the Rings films where non-human creatures were cut to ribbons by axes, swords, ect. they used quick camera cuts which also helped.
melting flesh has been done before in PG and PG13 films...Poltergeist and Raiders of the Lost Ark are some examples .
GR can be done either as an R or PG13...even both of the original comic series were actually aimed at kids 13 and up. it wasnt adult reading material like Hellblazer (aka Constantine)
would it it make a better film if it was rated R? its possible ...just as long as GR isnt made into a serial killer like some people feel he should be :rolleyes:

Using films from the 80s as an example won't help you. The MPAA has *****ed out a lot in 20 years.

Hoedowned said:
Using films from the 80s as an example won't help you. The MPAA has *****ed out a lot in 20 years.

/\Thank you! Jaws was PG...if it were made today, it would be R

If this movie was rated 'G' I would still watch it.

But hey in all fairness, PG13 is now the medium for Science Fiction/Fantasy movies these days. Even the 3rd Generation of Gr had a hard time showing lots of blood in its pages. If you compare violence in Ghost Rider vs violence in Spawn, you can easily see the difference between them.

Maybe if this title comes off the ground in a big way MSJ might be enclined to make a PG13 sequel with an unrated more violent (appropriately so) DVD.

GR has its share of sadistic killers (blackout, skinner, madcap, scarecrow, stiege, and later on vengeance etc) but if you look at the comics you can see that the bloody gore was really shown in shadows, the blood was darkened and lots of silhouettes and other forms of vivid imagery were used to depict the violence so it can pass censors. When it comes to killing demons or supernatural foes, GR really doesn't hold back, and I'm sure we'll see that in this movie as well.

Ah yes, the PG-13 conversation. Many a battle/disscussion had on this and rightfully so. It's a topic deserving of debate but, I really don't think anyone has to worry. The movie will be a violent as it needs be and we all know how violent Ghost Rider is. Plus, we've already seen him blow crap up, like the cop at the end of the leaked footage. We've seen a transport truck slam into somebody. We know that Ghost Rider has a spiked chain that he uses and a brutal prison scene somewhere throughout...

There's no fear folks. I believe no matter what the rating (which is only a group of people ranking things anyway) it'll be a great ride.

Watered down PG13 like Daredevil or Bad to the bone R like Daredevil Director's cut?

MarvelMovies said:
... *tempted to burn self after repeated question after repeated question!*

If you need me, I'll be on fire with him.

Ghost Rider+Hell+Rated R= Good movie
Ghost Rider+Hell+Rated Pg13= ***** movie

You cant have a pg13 movie based around Ghost Rider...his name alone is bad enough for a pg13 come on now. Im hoping they go all out on this movie and make it as good as possible, and not hold back because of the rated R or pg13 crap.

totalpackage59 said:
It's getting a bit like Ground Hog Day around here

Yeah. I'm starting to hear the Sonny & Cher song in my brain.

Not that I wouldn't mind an R rating but it would also basically guarantee no sequel. It HAS to be Pg-13 sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"