My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

Absolutely hate it. Sigh.

I was so ready for something special and to make me feel okay about the KC logo use. This is terrible.

And yes, he has some sort of trunk or color to make it look like trunks.

I just....I dont understand (if this is THEEEEEEEEEEEE suit. The FINAL suit. THE ONLY SUIT in this film)

Gunn was too concerned trying to combine multiple elements of several costumes that he created an ugly mess.

And really, this is the first reveal? Such a lackluster image and nothing heroic.

SR, which caught plenty of flak because of the design, was still classic and heroic Superman pose when the first image was released. MOS was different but action and again, heroic.

We have sad looking Superman here sitting in a chair pulling up his boots. What an odd choice for a first reveal.

Last edited:
Gunn was too concerned trying to combine multiple elements of several costumes that he created an ugly mess.

And really, this is the first reveal? Such a lackluster image and nothing heroic.

SR, which caught plenty of flak because of the **** design, was still classic and heroic Superman pose. MOS was different but action and again, heroic.

We have sad looking Superman here sitting in a chair pulling up his boots. What an odd choice for a first reveal.
The real is fine to me. How many times do we have to see him posing for the first pic? The setting is ok.

Its what he's putting on his body thats...

The boots hairstyle collar combo gives old school soldier vibes to me, 1940s era, so, the “golden age”, so to speak. I think this may be Gunn’s way of evoking the idea of there being an era of Superman before the Superman you know (silver age), like Morison did at the start of the New 52 with his jeans and t-shirt look evoking aspects of Golden Age Supes as well.

Together with the “just another Monday” vibe of the photo I think this very much supposed to a Superman who is simply one of the countless superheroes in this messy JSA period (a meta commentary on the jaded state of superhero movies after their “golden age” a few years ago) and not yet “Superman” the icon we know him to be. So with Supes by the end of the film perhaps stepping up as a leader and ushering in a “New Frontier” or new (silver) age, forming his JLA in place of the JSA, I imagine that shift could be accompanied by a change to a more silver age costume, dropping the collar, the iconic silver age S, etc.

So ironically though Gunn may be championing a hopeful Superman, perhaps part of telling that story involves starting him in a place that evokes the previous era (night skies, meaningless alien invasion in the back, etc)

Last edited:

SR, which caught plenty of flak because of the design, was still classic and heroic Superman pose when the first image was released. MOS was different but action and again, heroic.

Yeah this is it, they've just smooshed a bunch of previous suits together with no rhyme or reason.

Classic trunks, great! But on a modern, militaristic collared suit?
Stripped-back depressing Kingcome Come 'S'? Sure, makes sense for a Superman in mourning or the tone of something like Synder's Supes, except isn't this meant to be For All Seasons Superman?

Top it all off with the generic MCU lines and textures, so he now looks like he could have been in any Marvel film from the past 10 years.

I think Gunn will deliver on the film, story and writing, but damn this suit is a disappointing mess.

Yeah this is it, they've just smooshed a bunch of previous suits together with no rhyme or reason.

Classic trunks, great! But on a modern, militaristic collared suit?
Stripped-back depressing Kingcome Come 'S'? Sure, makes sense for a Superman in mourning or the tone of something like Synder's Supes, except isn't this meant to be For All Seasons Superman?

Top it all off with the generic MCU lines and textures, so he now looks like he could have been in any Marvel film from the past 10 years.

I think Gunn will deliver on the film, story and writing, but damn this suit is a disappointing mess.

The MCU suits are (almost) all better than this... the lines at least usually make some sense, whereas this is just "add lines on the shoulders!"
but agreed on the bolded points

96a81b89v3g71.png

Definitely feels like the New 52 suit with trunks...

The suit may look great in action, but for a first reveal, he/they chose a poor setting and pose.

The pose and setting are fine to me. They clearly don't want to reveal exactly how the trunks look yet. (maybe that's going to be even more polarizing!).

My main problem is that the top looks baggy/ill-fitting. For Superman, it should be snug. The large wrinkles at the shoulders have me worried.

I don't mind the 'extra' lines/seams for visual interest. Despite the dirt(?) from a battle, or whatever, I like the colors and I think the boots look good.

And Corenswet's head looks good as well.

Oh I forgot: looks like we're getting a floor-length cape again?

It's a shame. I was hoping we were going to get something more colorful. It's not trash, but its just not what i was personally hoping for. I know they can't please everyone, but this feels too bulky to me.

I’m okay with it! It’s definitely different than what we’ve had before. Overall, I’m not in love with it, but I also don’t hate it. It’s an interesting design without committing any atrocities (*cough* Superman Returns *cough*).

The good:
1. Nice colors (though I was hoping for more of a baby blue)
2. Perfect size for the S.
3. Cape attachment looks regal
4. Cape material looks like it’ll play nicely with the wind, like the MOS suit.
5. His hair looks pretty nice, not overly slick.
6. The loose fit makes him seem more approachable and humble than a Greek god of sex.

The bad:
1. I hate those boots. My favorite thing about the MOS suit was probably the boots. Like the comic come to life. I don’t understand why the CW (and now the DCU) had to make them so clunky.
2. I was hoping for an open collar, rather than the turtleneck. But it’s not a huge deal.
3. I’m not crazy about all the prominent texture and geometric piping. I was hoping for something simpler.

The interesting/different/unknown:
1. This material looks much thicker than any other material we’ve seen for a Superman suit. I don’t hate it, but it’s definitely different.
2. Are those trunks? It’s hard to tell.
3. Is this Clark’s apartment?! If so, he must be deep into his career as a decorated journalist.
4. Will the suit be cleaned up with CGI to make it more form-fitting (a la MCU)? I don’t think this is necessary, but it’s an open question.
5. The design seems to suggest that this is a true uniform from Krypton.

The more I sit with it, the more I actually like this...

Mind you, I was never a huge stickler for the suits--I still think the Superman Returns and MOS suits, respectively, are just fine. Sure it's fun to offer critiques and post comic panels of my 'ideal' but a suit's color or material is not going to disrupt any enjoyment I'll get from the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Staff online

• C. Lee
      Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kimcity
    Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"