My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

Oh god My Time to Shine got something right?

200w.gif
This does not look like shiny armor to me.

“Workman-like” quality is right. That’s my favorite thing about it. It looks like a suit he would put on to go get s*** done. I think that’s why the collar isn’t bothering me like I thought it would - because it’s not suggesting rank/elitism as collars usually do. The materials make it feel very “Everyman.” Like I’ve said, huggable. Aka, my #1 requirement for Superman. Be huggable.

s-l1200.webp

Okay, here's your huggable Superman.

Can we get a better costume now?😭

I know Gunn is obsessed with always working with the same team, but I really wish he had gotten a different costume designer for this.

Her superhero suits are all very same-y, it's obvious that they're all designed by the same person, and the Superman suit is no exception.

Very similar fabrics and aesthetics as all of her MCU suits.

I know Gunn is obsessed with always working with the same team, but I really wish he had gotten a different costume designer for this.

Her superhero suits are all very same-y, it's obvious that they're all designed by the same person, and the Superman suit is no exception.

Very similar fabrics and aesthetics as all of her MCU suits.
Objectively untrue. Case in point: The Suicide Squad. This obviously leans more heavily towards the Guardians/MCU school though.

It does look so much like her style for the MCU/Guardians that in retrospect it almost feels like what we should have been anticipating from day one. I kinda like it, honestly.

I always knew that people who were expecting a 1:1 classic spandex suit were setting themselves up for disappointment, but this is still far more... bold than I thought it would be.

I honestly thought Supes fans wanted something like this. I guess I was wrong.

View attachment 89585
I never want to be given whatever “most fans want.” Even if I’m one of those fans. Fan service has been the near death of this genre imo. Capture the spirit of the character - that should always be priority 1 - but for gods sake make your own movie with your own voice, not just whatever everyone on Twitter is clamoring for. So far it seems like Gunn is doing that. I can see the vision behind this approach, and while it’s not the movie I would have made myself, I can see it easily working for me. This is how movies are able to surprise and give us new things to like. I sure as hell never thought I needed the Batsuit to have a collar until Battinson. Now they can pry that collar from my cold dead hands! :o

I never want to be given whatever “most fans want.” Even if I’m one of those fans. Fan service has been the near death of this genre imo. Capture the spirit of the character - that should always be priority 1 - but for gods sake make your own movie with your own voice, not just whatever everyone on Twitter is clamoring for. So far it seems like Gunn is doing that. I can see the vision behind this approach, and while it’s not the movie I would have made myself, I can see it easily working for me. This is how movies are able to surprise and give us new things to like. I sure as hell never thought I needed the Batsuit to have a collar until Battinson. Now they can pry that collar from my cold dead hands! :o
Honey you wanted the Fleischer suit with a black belt. You aren't most fans. :o

It's crazy how ****ing terrible the New 52 Superman costume is yet it looks Basically Fine in live action. I have problems with the costume but the New 52 inspired elements kinda really work.

As a Batman guy, I totally agree about that collar. Also, the Fleischer suit is one of my favorites for Supes as well.

It's crazy how ****ing terrible the New 52 Superman costume is yet it looks Basically Fine in live action. I have problems with the costume but the New 52 inspired elements kinda really work.
It’s because it’s not armor.

I’m telling y’all, those “cheap materials” some of you are currently lamenting are exactly what’s gonna make him look so much more approachable than the previous Supes. You’ll see eventually.

With all said, I do respect Gunn for doing his own thing with the suit, for better or worse.

He could have easily done a standard classic Superman suit to avoid controversy, but he stuck to his guns, which I can admire.

It’s because it’s not armor.

I’m telling y’all, those “cheap materials” some of you are currently lamenting are exactly what’s gonna make him look so much more approachable than the previous Supes. You’ll see eventually.
It's Kryptonian military uniform.

1715056481759.gif

This is what I like about it!
I'm warming up to it. I like the idea that his suit looks like a spacesuit (I even drew a couple of concepts with that idea in mind back in the early 2000s) but the biggest thing that bugs me is the bunching at the shoulders. It really gives off the feel of a jacket. If they were gonna go the spacesuit route, I would've preferred they did something like these Prometheus spacesuits.

1715056809799.png

I'm warming up to it. I like the idea that his suit looks like a spacesuit (I even drew a couple of concepts with that idea in mind back in the early 2000s) but the biggest thing that bugs me is the bunching at the shoulders. It really gives off the feel of a jacket. If they were gonna go the spacesuit route, I would've preferred they did something like these Prometheus spacesuits.

View attachment 89596
I just hate that shiny plastic look in my super suits. I didn’t want this suit to be shiny, so I’m very glad for that.

View attachment 89596
Yeah, space suit is exactly what I have been starting to think. That collar looks like it should be attached to a helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"