My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

After thinking on it and watching this suit all day, while I think the image isn't flattering at all and has some oddities with how the suit folds, I think I like the suit. I have way too much appreciation for the direction it's taking even if it completely threw me off at first. I love the concept of the Superman suit as workwear or a uniform (if that's indeed what Gunn is going for) and the way the cape drapes plus the way the collar looks gives it a regal quality that balances it out neatly.

Even the aspects that seem off could make sense within the context of the film. If the movie has a more practical approach to superheroes, and depending on the tone, it might make more sense for the suit to have quirks of that nature. The folds could highlight real-world practicalities, and the lack of a snug fit might indicate that the suit provides additional padding or armor and that it's not purely meant to be an aesthetic thing. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff is less noticeable in the actual movie. I also think it's gonna look waaay cooler once we see him standing up, without battle damage, and on better lighting conditions. I can already easily picture shots, poses and angles in which it could look extremely cool. I also appreciate how idiosyncratic it is; it's James Gunn's Superman, no one else's, and it makes me very curious as to the direction other costumes will take in the DCU.

Another thing: I completely understand the people that prefer the MoS suit to this as well lol. But I also think they both seem to have very different philosophies to one another. MoS suit was designed to look perfect and pristine and idealistic at all times. This one's going for a completely different thing, which actually reminds me a lot of certain points that Gunn brought about superheroes in the past.

I just hate that shiny plastic look in my super suits. I didn’t want this suit to be shiny, so I’m very glad for that.
I get why people don't like the shiny look. It can look hokey and gaudy, but for me it's a matter of bringing out the values of Superman's physique. Matted flatter textures tend to downplay and mute the definition of his muscles, ultimately making it less flattering. Where as shiny, silky looking materials mimic the comic book look and accentuate his curves.

To me this...
1715058397831.png

...looks more fun and dynamic than this.
1715058471779.png

6. The loose fit makes him seem more approachable and humble than a Greek god of sex.
Gonna have to disagree with you here; Clark can be approachable, let Superman be sexy!

You know, you say that, but the more I look at it the more it reminds me a little bit of a motorcycle suit because of how sort of thick the material looks & how it sort of pinches at the shoulders.
His suit shouldn't look like a motorcycle suit, though. (This is partly where some of the CW comparisons come from.) I feel like it shouldn't obviously look so thick. They can make the suit out of whatever, but I prefer the look or illusion of it being form-fitting.

I get why people don't like the shiny look. It can look hokey and gaudy, but for me it's a matter of bringing out the values of Superman's physique. Matted flatter textures tend to downplay and mute the definition of his muscles, ultimately making it less flattering. Where as shiny, silky looking materials mimic the comic book look and accentuate his curves.

To me this...
View attachment 89601

...looks more fun and dynamic than this.
View attachment 89602
IMG_3383.gif

The MoS suit epitomizes everything I wanted them to avoid this go-round. Especially the shiny muscles.

After thinking on it and watching this suit all day, while I think the image isn't flattering at all and has some oddities with how the suit folds, I think I like the suit. I have way too much appreciation for the direction it's taking even if it completely threw me off at first. I love the concept of the Superman suit as workwear or a uniform (if that's indeed what Gunn is going for) and the way the cape drapes plus the way the collar looks gives it a regal quality that balances it out neatly.

Even the aspects that seem off could make sense within the context of the film. If the movie has a more practical approach to superheroes, and depending on the tone, it might make more sense for the suit to have quirks of that nature. The folds could highlight real-world practicalities, and the lack of a snug fit might indicate that the suit provides additional padding or armor and that it's not purely meant to be an aesthetic thing. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff is less noticeable in the actual movie. I also think it's gonna look waaay cooler once we see him standing up, without battle damage, and on better lighting conditions. I can already easily picture shots, poses and angles in which it could look extremely cool. I also appreciate how idiosyncratic it is; it's James Gunn's Superman, no one else's, and it makes me very curious as to the direction other costumes will take in the DCU.
This makes me excited but then immediately depressed when I remember that every other hero will on some level be James Gunn's Such And Such as well.

This makes me excited but then immediately depressed when I remember that every other hero will on some level be James Gunn's Such And Such as well.
I could be completely wrong but for whatever reason I'm not expecting him to be that domineering over the aesthetic and artistic direction of Lanterns (mostly because of the team he attached to it) which aside from Supergirl seems to be the next project on the line for the DCU based on his teases.

It's crazy how ****ing terrible the New 52 Superman costume is yet it looks Basically Fine in live action. I have problems with the costume but the New 52 inspired elements kinda really work.

Personally, I don't think this particular design works well with the classic red trunks.

It’s because it’s not armor.

I’m telling y’all, those “cheap materials” some of you are currently lamenting are exactly what’s gonna make him look so much more approachable than the previous Supes. You’ll see eventually.

image-asset.gif

I really like it.
You can see that its more vibrant where its not damaged...and we get TRUNKS.
I like the idea of the first image, but its not the best way to reveal it.
A more dynamic pose that has more color and life in it, would have probably done a better job.

I need to see more of the suit to be really sure, but i like the vibe and all.
Could do with a few less lines, but we will see.
I already love Corenswet, he looks good.

Yeah im happy with it.
I havent looked into the Discourse over it, pretty much ignored all discussion.
Just last week or what, we had people whine and cry over the Wolverine suit...discourse about Superhero suits is pointless because its just one big whiny "They should have done this, this would look better" no matter what is done.
The fun to talk about that kind of stuff, is gone.
So im not sure what the overall opinion is, nor do i really care...i like it so far, so im cool with it.

I really like it.
You can see that its more vibrant where its not damaged...and we get TRUNKS.
I like the idea of the first image, but its not the best way to reveal it.
A more dynamic pose that has more color and life in it, would have probably done a better job.

I need to see more of the suit to be really sure, but i like the vibe and all.
Could do with a few less lines, but we will see.
I already love Corenswet, he looks good.

Yeah im happy with it.
I havent looked into the Discourse over it, pretty much ignored all discussion.
Just last week or what, we had people whine and cry over the Wolverine suit...discourse about Superhero suits is pointless because its just one big whiny "They should have done this, this would look better" no matter what is done.
The fun to talk about that kind of stuff, is gone.
So im not sure what the overall opinion is, nor do i really care...i like it so far, so im cool with it.
1715066434267.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"