• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

I think the way the cape connects to the shoulders in this iteration is way better than how it does in the New 52 in the comics

Is it weird that I was not remotely freaked out by those ant images? It's probably weird.

1715067779236.png
Alex Ross posted this on instagram.

The reference is quite clear.
The small problem is that Gunn's photo looks like a still from a perfume commercial and the subtle irony of "I'm getting dressed to go to work overtime" and the world in danger in the background is honestly completely out of character for me.
Also, why is Clark Kent in some sort of penthouse?

An indifferent God who looks like a Bruce Wayne with superpowers... Remind anything to you?
And no... whether the suit has red pants or is dirty makes no difference.

Honestly, I don't see any big difference with Snyder's Superman (which I rather appreciated in MOS, then hated in the subsequent films, so don't take me as a fan: I'm not): the basic concept is the same, it's just modernized and applied to Gunn's aesthetic.
The costume itself does not take another direction: it is not the costume sewn by Ma Kent, it is an alien uniform, but... not very alien. There's a whole bunch of squiggles and unnecessary stuff (in addition to creases in the material, as many have already said). Months and months of research to create the costume, for... this?
The color palette is different but certainly not COMPLETELY different than Cavill's.
Plus the fact that Corenswet is almost a Cavill lookalike doesn't help.

I mean, it's not a bad costume and Corenswet seems adapt to the role, but honestly I don't see anything exciting or particularly inspired in this work.
Of course, it's definitely too early to say how it will be received by the public and whether or not it will be a success, but at first glance the fact that it is a "Gunnized" version of Snyder seems like a suicidal move to me. Snyder's fandom has all the reasons to be pissed off.
I don't see a personal, revolutionary and radically different "vision" of the character.

I hope Reeves' Batman (definitely inspired, personal, albeit comically accurate) isn't in mothballs or in trouble for... this.
It would be yet another demonstration of Warner Bros.' myopia.

This is why i like the idea of the Photo so much.
Yeah your hero shot would have worked probably better as promotion, but i like the idea of showing Superman in a kind of every day action, putting on your shoes and going to work etc.

Yeah your hero shot would have worked probably better as promotion, but i like the idea of showing Superman in a kind of every day action, putting on your shoes and going to work etc.

This is what I've been saying. I daresay Grant would approve. And maybe actually did lol. It's got that Morrison vibe about it.

Yup, I completely agree. I think this is just something a lot of people aren't really used to, so they're rebeling against it. It's totally in line with the character.

The apparent thickness of the fabric reminds me a bit of wetsuit neoprene. Now, a tailored wetsuit will be smooth and skintight — especially if the model is standing in a natural pose. But even the best-fitting neoprene will crease and pucker as the torso and limbs are flexed. And that seems to be what’s happening in The Photo. Not necessarily earthshattering news: in certain postures, Superman’s costume wrinkles! Still… for a first image and first impression, it’s a somewhat curious choice.

s-l1200.webp

Okay, here's your huggable Superman.

Can we get a better costume now?😭
With the big hands, this looks like a Frank Miller Superman. Nothing that Frank Miller does is huggable.

I never want to be given whatever “most fans want.” Even if I’m one of those fans. Fan service has been the near death of this genre imo. Capture the spirit of the character - that should always be priority 1 - but for gods sake make your own movie with your own voice, not just whatever everyone on Twitter is clamoring for. So far it seems like Gunn is doing that. I can see the vision behind this approach, and while it’s not the movie I would have made myself, I can see it easily working for me. This is how movies are able to surprise and give us new things to like. I sure as hell never thought I needed the Batsuit to have a collar until Battinson. Now they can pry that collar from my cold dead hands! :o
Exactly. We’ve already seen people try to rip panels from the comics and put them on screen while simultaneously missing the spirit of the characters. The suit getting right is so far down my list of priorities it isn’t even funny.
When Mark Waid was asked what needs to be in the next Superman movie, I think he said it best when he said “right now the bar is so low. Just have a good Superman who cares for people and doesn’t kill anyone. All other details are secondary to me at this point.” And given that nobody alive today is more of an authority on the character than Waid, I would tend to agree with him.

View attachment 89616
Alex Ross posted this on instagram.

The reference is quite clear.
The small problem is that Gunn's photo looks like a still from a perfume commercial and the subtle irony of "I'm getting dressed to go to work overtime" and the world in danger in the background is honestly completely out of character for me.
Also, why is Clark Kent in some sort of penthouse?

An indifferent God who looks like a Bruce Wayne with superpowers... Remind anything to you?
And no... whether the suit has red pants or is dirty makes no difference.

Honestly, I don't see any big difference with Snyder's Superman (which I rather appreciated in MOS, then hated in the subsequent films, so don't take me as a fan: I'm not): the basic concept is the same, it's just modernized and applied to Gunn's aesthetic.
The costume itself does not take another direction: it is not the costume sewn by Ma Kent, it is an alien uniform, but... not very alien. There's a whole bunch of squiggles and unnecessary stuff (in addition to creases in the material, as many have already said). Months and months of research to create the costume, for... this?
The color palette is different but certainly not COMPLETELY different than Cavill's.
Plus the fact that Corenswet is almost a Cavill lookalike doesn't help.

I mean, it's not a bad costume and Corenswet seems adapt to the role, but honestly I don't see anything exciting or particularly inspired in this work.
Of course, it's definitely too early to say how it will be received by the public and whether or not it will be a success, but at first glance the fact that it is a "Gunnized" version of Snyder seems like a suicidal move to me. Snyder's fandom has all the reasons to be pissed off.
I don't see a personal, revolutionary and radically different "vision" of the character.

I hope Reeves' Batman (definitely inspired, personal, albeit comically accurate) isn't in mothballs or in trouble for... this.
It would be yet another demonstration of Warner Bros.' myopia.
I find it amazing that from a single still photo people can tell the entire tone of a film and the characterization of the main character and all of the intentions and of the screenwriters and director.

I must be a simpleton because I look at the photo and think “hmm. I wonder what’s going on in this picture.”

I find it amazing that from a single still photo people can tell the entire tone of a film and the characterization of the main character and all of the intentions and of the screenwriters and director.

I must be a simpleton because I look at the photo and think “hmm. I wonder what’s going on in this picture.”
I agree there's massive catastrophising going on... but I also understand it. No one was expecting this kind of dramatic somber tone for a first image of a new Superman that's been pitched to fans as lighter in tone.

I still think the film will be lighter in tone. And actually, side by side with MOS images, it IS lighter in tone... but the initial shock was still felt. My eye was immediately drawn to the darker elements of the image.

I don't really get why it's so thick.
Superman doesn't need Armour or padding, unless he isn't as super in this film as in other films.
Perhaps it belonged to his father, and it was a military uniform, and he wears it to honor him.

The biggest non fan reaction I got from my older coworker said it best, "so he's just taking his time putting his boot on while the city gets destroyed in the background. That's not superman, and why is he wearing pads like George Reeves is he not invulnerable in this one?" this is coming from a 70 year old who doesn't watch superhero films as they are" silly". The general public will tear it to shreds too.

I agree there's massive catastrophising going on... but I also understand it. No one was expecting this kind of dramatic somber tone for a first image of a new Superman that's been pitched to fans as lighter in tone.

I still think the film will be lighter in tone. And actually, side by side with MOS images, it IS lighter in tone... but the initial shock was still felt. My eye was immediately drawn to the darker elements of the image.
Well, in one of the GoTG Vol. 3 interviews he got asked about what tone he was going for in Superman and he responded with something along the lines of "You know, I don't think about things that way, it's gonna have dark stuff like in real life, comedy like in real life" and it kinda makes me wonder if it's gonna be darker than people expect.

Well, in one of the GoTG Vol. 3 interviews he got asked about what tone he was going for in Superman and he responded with something along the lines of "You know, I don't think about things that way, it's gonna have dark stuff like in real life, comedy like in real life" and it kinda makes me wonder if it's gonna be darker than people expect.
It's so nuanced though, isnt it? I mean, in the lead up to MOS I was excited to see a grounded, more real world take on the character. What I felt missed the mark, was that Clark's entire personality seemed to be altered to what was deemed more grounded & realistic too.

I'm not opposed to Clark existing in a world that feels like it has real world elements, a story that has real world themes etc. It just needs to not lose that endlessly hopeful, resilient, 'always finds a way' vibe.

The whole world could be full of doubt & darkness, as long as Clark is shown pushing against that with conviction & heartfelt belief that people ARE good, and the world CAN be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"