My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

The fan art DF posted is probably the first piece of the Gunn design that I actually like.

Does anyone actually enjoy putting their shoes on?

put-on-shoes-tie-shoes.gif

I don't mind a little controversy over bold choices. That's why I have more easily gotten on board with things like the S emblem and the collar.

But the MCUish 'this is what a hero would realistically wear' suit style and more somber tone don't feel like bold choices, they feel like safe choices in a world where that's sort of expected of Superhero films these days.
It’s a singular promo image with what looks like a fake background.

He’s still wearing red trunks.

Reeves first Batman image was him standing next to a car. Hardly telling us the depth of the crime drama to come.

You might be reading too much into it.

On a side note, that awful collar reminds me a bit of Kirk Alyn's suit a little bit. The lines on the bodysuit, on the other hand, are similar to Superman's suit from Kill The Justice League.

YouTubers seem to be meh or hate it. Of course most of the ones that hate were DCEU fanboys, so who knows. 🤷

It's the same suit, different position, clean, chest is likely poking out. Maybe a fish eye effect was used as well.

It’s a singular promo image with what looks like a fake background.

He’s still wearing red trunks.

Reeves first Batman image was him standing next to a car. Hardly telling us the depth of the crime drama to come.

You might be reading too much into it.

Nah, I've repeatedly said I'm not catastrophising the image, nor has it changed my excitement.

It is okay to offer some honest negative thoughts in a fair and balanced way.

Why is sitting down considered somber

It's not. The look on his face, combined with the setting, colours and background could be read that way. And my instinctual response was 'oh, that feels quite dark & somber'. 🤷‍♀️

My best guess is that Gunn wanted a suit that was distinctively "his", not just a replica of the classic suit.

Is "his" suit good?

Jury is still out on that.
I kinda like it, kinda don't.
The pose pretty much makes people straddle the fence. It's an odd choice for a first reveal image.
That said, I need to see more to make a final conclusion tho, so I'll be fair.

I have to see it in action to give a final opinion. I'm back and forth on it.

I stand by this being a bad photo to use for a first look.

I'm the same, I think it looks dreadful, but I don't think the photo/pose does the suit any favours, so I'll wait & see.

You could compare it to Routh's first reveal, that initial photo used was a poor choice & made the suit actually look worse than it really was. Now I personally still didn't end up liking the suit anyway in the end, but it definitely looked better in further released images & indeed the film itself. Had Superman Returns been a good film, it would have made me forget those niggles I had with the suit.

I'd rather have a, subjectively, "bad" suit, in a good film. Than, a "good" suit in a bad film.

The Batman's costume proved to me that folks can get used to anything if given time. I wasn't nuts about that first video reveal, and the set pictures in the graveyard looked UG. LEE. Yet by the end of it, people were calling it the best Batcostume on film and I wasn't too far behind. Even stuff like the hard collar started making sense to me. This Supercollar will be tough to get over, not gonna lie, because it sucks hardball. But the materials, the lines, even the bagginess will probably grow on me when everything else starts clicking, because it's a very alternate but still pretty valid take on the suit. The look is important, but it's the premise and trailers that will be setting the tone here.

The Batman's costume proved to me that folks can get used to anything if given time. I wasn't nuts about that first video reveal, and the set pictures in the graveyard looked UG. LEE. Yet by the end of it, people were calling it the best Batcostume on film and I wasn't too far behind. Even stuff like the hard collar started making sense to me. This Supercollar will be tough to get over, not gonna lie, because it sucks hardball. But the materials, the lines, even the bagginess will probably grow on me when everything else starts clicking, because it's a very alternate but still pretty valid take on the suit. The look is important, but it's the premise and trailers that will be setting the tone here.
God the endless amount of things that could be listed that people thought would suck and ended up being loved is... Well endless.

Barbie was a horrible idea..oh wait
Joker is a bad idea...oh wait
Heath Ledger as Joker...oh wait
Nicholas Cage being able to make a great come back.... Mhmm he did.

The general folks are boring and can't see further than their eyelashes.

It might fail but shiz just give things a chance.

I'm just bummed a movie which is supposedly (hopefully) so quintessentially 'Superman' they renamed the film,,, but then went with the Kingdom Come S, a dour design for a dour Superman in mourning. Reinstating the yellow doesn't change that, it just now makes it look like a warning sign. It's charmless.

I hope in a years time posts like mine disliking the costume are as badly dated as a post doubting Heath Ledgers casting, but that S is not it for me.

I have to see it in action to give a final opinion. I'm back and forth on it.

I stand by this being a bad photo to use for a first look.

Yeah. I think maybe I’ll warm up to the suit if I see some new photos or see it in action. But this picture does it no favors.

I'm just bummed a movie which is supposedly (hopefully) so quintessentially 'Superman' they renamed the film,,, but then went with the Kingdom Come S, a dour design for a dour Superman in mourning. Reinstating the yellow doesn't change that, it just now makes it look like a warning sign. It's charmless.

I hope in a years time posts like mine disliking the costume are as badly dated as a post doubting Heath Ledgers casting, but that S is not it for me.

Finally a kindred spirit.

I honestly cannot fathom the appeal. It's a diamond with a line through it, my brain simply cannot visualize it as a Superman symbol.

Justice_Society_Vol_3_10_Textless (1).jpg

Meanwhile the regular S brings me so much warm fuzzy joy, why would anyone want to change it? I just don't get it.

Adventures_of_Superman_424.jpg

Last edited:
The current futuristic updated suit on Corenswet...I actually like it but everyone apparently hates it for some reason and I don't know why

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"