My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

I haven’t seen any evidence of that being the case. People seem just as judgmental now as ever to me - in fact, I’d say social media has made fandom worse in that regard, not more open-minded.
So we should be going after Musk and Zuckerberg? :hmm

I guess I'm in the minority. But I like the new suit. I could instantly recognize it as being Superman. I certainly don't like it any less than the MOS suit, which itself was "busy" with its own patterns and details. In fact, I actually kind of like the new suit a little bit more than the MOS suit.

Of course, I would like to see more pictures in different angles and lighting. And see it in motion in a trailer of course. My opinions can change after that.

And I do wish they would have chosen a more "optimistic" vibe in the reveal photo, especially given all that Gunn has said about how this Superman is supposed to be hopeful, kind, and huggable. Yet I also get the "working man lacing up his boots to go to work" vibe they were going for in the picture. I just want the actual film to be more optimistic in tone.

It has been kind of depressing these past few days seeing what feels like mostly negative reaction to the suit. However, I do know that there is a certain segment of the fanbase who have been, and will continue to be, opposed to anything related to the new DC films because those fans are loyal to Snyder and/or Henry Cavill.

And I get it. They are certainly entitled to their opinions. I always liked Cavill but disliked Snyder's approach. I felt Cavill was a huge waste of opportunity. So I'm glad they are rebooting with a different approach (hopefully).

But to say this whole film is now "doomed." Or to say the new suit is "WTF garbage" when the MOS suit wasn't exactly comic book faithful either. That just strikes me as partisan fanboy hyperbolism.

I sincerely hope that future pics and trailers will show this suit off in a better light and change some minds about it. And most of all, in the end, I sincerely hope we get a Superman film that feels true to the character and makes all Superman fans proud.

I haven’t seen any evidence of that being the case. People seem just as judgmental now as ever to me - in fact, I’d say social media has made fandom worse in that regard, not more open-minded.

Of course there’s always going to be those with a reasonable difference of opinion as well as those that are extremely hateful judgmental. I don’t think that social media has necessarily made it worse. It’s just that there are a lot more people online voicing their opinions now along with those that are easily swayed by the opinions of others.

Though there are many people posting that they love the suit or are on the fence until they see more. This is what surprises me, because I had become used to many Superman fans nitpicking even the most minor details of the suit. Seeing people being more optimistic and accepting even when the suit looks far less like what many expressed they wanted, that’s certainly open minded to me.

The whole "maybe it's not the final suit?" line of thinking is just one of the stages of grief for comic fans. They say this for every controversial suit unveiling.

Almost as bad, "Let's just wait to see it in motion". Dudes, there's not going to be a significant difference in motion. Unless it's that Superman will be moving so fast we can't pick up on the details of the suit. It might be better to say "Let's just wait until we see it on film", because that might change how it looks due to color correction.
I mean I'm more in the "I'll reserve judgment til I know more of the story" camp... if the plot is good enough, I'm more then willing to overlook how the suit ends up looking

Last edited:
Judging by what I can see of it in the photo, I'm not a real big fan of the choice in belt buckle either.

Still haven't found one aspect that I like about this costume.

I love the colors, logo, the belt and apparent trunks, I like the boots.

I dislike the lines on the upper body and the collar.

I wasn’t looking for an explanation. I had already observed that people are more open different concepts these days. The point was that 10-15 years ago, people weren’t that open. Around that time, had the photo of this new suit been revealed as the first look of Superman, there would have been a massive backlash.
lol okay, well let me introduce you to how conversations work.

All I really care about is that...when I look at the outfit, does it look like the character I know. This looks like Superman. So, I'm good.

If I HAD to go further...I really like the look of it. It seems more like a uniform that can be moved around in, as opposed to the more "fake" looking outfit from Man of Steel. I know, its alien material...but still. I like the logo, am fine with the colors...dont mind the details or the high collar. It looks like Superman to me.

It just sucks that he can't say "My Mom made it!" :(

This might have been alluded to in the pages of mixed reactions since the image dropped and I missed it, but I kinda feel like this could be sort of a reverse Spider-Man situation, and we’re seeing a first-act, cynical suit (probably a Kryptonian uniform from the fortress) that Supes wears while he’s still trying to find his footing among the more grim, world-weary heroes. After he comes out the other side of his inspiring, hopeful hero arc, we might see it recreated or downgraded to a version that hews a bit closer to the classic, maybe even as made by Ma. Feels like an easy trick to help carry the “Legacy” theme that originally lent the script its title, too.

Otherwise, aesthetics alone —a lot of pros, a few cons. Love the thickness especially, I was hoping for something almost the weight of a crewneck sweatshirt as opposed to another skintight muscle suit. Feels much more farmy.

I love the colors, logo, the belt and apparent trunks, I like the boots.

I dislike the lines on the upper body and the collar.
That pretty much sums up my feelings, however, I'm just not as thrilled about the Kingdom Come logo.

Someone may have mentioned this already, but does anyone else see similarities between David's costume and the Guardians costume from Volume 3?

uG1Z6sG.jpeg

New-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol.-3-Concept-Art-Shows-Off-Accurate-Suit-Designs-Image-3.jpeg

Not quite opposed or unopposed to the new suit. I think it's got the key factors right and at least it hasn't gone down some really wayward route - e.g. shiny metallic effect a la Nicholas Cage's Superman. But I do look forward to seeing a proper full body shot with the suit looking clean and undamaged.

I can totally see what Gunn was trying to do with the photo above, but I don't think that everyman approach of Superman pulling on his boots has worked. Particularly with the weird background visual effect and the unclear setting, which looks a bit like an apartment with floor length windows but hard to say for sure. It may have been good for a second or third photo release, but for the first shot of a new Superman actor in costume, people want to be impressed.

Not quite opposed or unopposed to the new suit. I think it's got the key factors right and at least it hasn't gone down some really wayward route - e.g. shiny metallic effect a la Nicholas Cage's Superman. But I do look forward to seeing a proper full body shot with the suit looking clean and undamaged.

I can totally see what Gunn was trying to do with the photo above, but I don't think that everyman approach of Superman pulling on his boots has worked. Particularly with the weird background visual effect and the unclear setting, which looks a bit like an apartment with floor length windows but hard to say for sure. It may have been good for a second or third photo release, but for the first shot of a new Superman actor in costume, people want to be impressed.
Personally I don't think it matters till we see a trailer.

Someone may have mentioned this already, but does anyone else see similarities between David's costume and the Guardians costume from Volume 3?

uG1Z6sG.jpeg

New-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol.-3-Concept-Art-Shows-Off-Accurate-Suit-Designs-Image-3.jpeg

You can absolutely tell they're designed by the same costume designer. We're getting a lot of super heroes in this film, I hope you won't be able to say the same for them all.

uG1Z6sG.jpeg

Ehh I don't think it's as similar as others are saying. I think because he's sitting, its giving the impression the suit is baggy when in reality it probabaly has a tighter look when standing up. Keep in mind he's not just sitting in that photo, but also hunched over.

Besides Superman, I'm most excited for the GL suit. I feel like you can only improve since the last live action Green Lantern suit design...

I guess I'm in the minority. But I like the new suit. I could instantly recognize it as being Superman. I certainly don't like it any less than the MOS suit, which itself was "busy" with its own patterns and details. In fact, I actually kind of like the new suit a little bit more than the MOS suit.

Of course, I would like to see more pictures in different angles and lighting. And see it in motion in a trailer of course. My opinions can change after that.

And I do wish they would have chosen a more "optimistic" vibe in the reveal photo, especially given all that Gunn has said about how this Superman is supposed to be hopeful, kind, and huggable. Yet I also get the "working man lacing up his boots to go to work" vibe they were going for in the picture. I just want the actual film to be more optimistic in tone.

It has been kind of depressing these past few days seeing what feels like mostly negative reaction to the suit. However, I do know that there is a certain segment of the fanbase who have been, and will continue to be, opposed to anything related to the new DC films because those fans are loyal to Snyder and/or Henry Cavill.

And I get it. They are certainly entitled to their opinions. I always liked Cavill but disliked Snyder's approach. I felt Cavill was a huge waste of opportunity. So I'm glad they are rebooting with a different approach (hopefully).

But to say this whole film is now "doomed." Or to say the new suit is "WTF garbage" when the MOS suit wasn't exactly comic book faithful either. That just strikes me as partisan fanboy hyperbolism.

I sincerely hope that future pics and trailers will show this suit off in a better light and change some minds about it. And most of all, in the end, I sincerely hope we get a Superman film that feels true to the character and makes all Superman fans proud.

All I really care about is that...when I look at the outfit, does it look like the character I know. This looks like Superman. So, I'm good.

If I HAD to go further...I really like the look of it. It seems more like a uniform that can be moved around in, as opposed to the more "fake" looking outfit from Man of Steel. I know, its alien material...but still. I like the logo, am fine with the colors...dont mind the details or the high collar. It looks like Superman to me.
Excellent posts.
I don’t understand the level of criticism of the suit. Like @Heretic said, it just looks like Superman putting on shoes to me. That’s kind of cool.

Besides, to paraphrase Rachel Dawes from Batman Begins: it’s not how Superman looks when he puts on his shoes; it’s what he does that defines him.
Let’s wait at least for the trailer before we bury the film. If Superman is mowing people down with heat vision and snapping necks or Jonathan Kent is telling Clark to let busloads of kids die while he eats his “hero cake,” then maybe we can be concerned.

Literally humans made the suit.... Why can't humans in the dcu be able to make them.

I get the point but still... Everything's not on the same plan.
Costume design team + Access to haute couture materials + Props team =/= Mama Kent and her old Singer sewing machine... :o

Personally I don't care if the costume was made by the Kents or inherited from Krypton, but I'd have a hard time believing the former given the style of this new costume.
It feels more to me like the El were simply shopping on the same planet as the GOTG. :o

More seriously, even if the costume is created in that worn-out generic CBM style, it will probably look fine on screen anyway.
I'd like to see the horrible background being more discussed... :o

maybe since he goes through so many suits (getting damaged in fights) he literately just started buying custom made cosplay suits on etsy

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"