My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

I'm kinda wondering if Gunn took the turtleneck collar from S78's Kryptonian outfits, because it really looks nothing like the New 52 collar.
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 14.18.33.png

I wouldn't bet on it but if a theme of the story is Clark finding a balance between his human and alien heritage, with the suit itself being from Krypton and gets damaged in the climax, I could see a scenario where the films ends with Superman having streamlined the suit to show more of an "Earthly" influence and you have something like the Kingdom Come emblem being replace with the classic shield. Kind of like how how the Milano got totaled in the first GOTG and Star-Lord got a new ship at the end.

I’m not ruling out the Ma Kent origin just yet. Remember, pre-Tom Holland, both the previous Spidey’s were meant to have made those suits themselves. Movie “Homemade” and Real World “Homemade” are two very, very different things.

I’m not too bothered if the suit is purely Kryptonian but I don’t think either scenario is a given at this stage.

Definitely feels more kryptonian than homemade imo. Maybe Ma Kent added the cape and trunks.

I’m not ruling out the Ma Kent origin just yet. Remember, pre-Tom Holland, both the previous Spidey’s were meant to have made those suits themselves. Movie “Homemade” and Real World “Homemade” are two very, very different things.
There are far too many choices in this suit made to make it look uniform-esque and "professional" to think that it was an old lady from Kansas making it for her son, unlike the Spider-Man costumes who yes did look very cool but at the same time you can buy a dude like Peter designing it, unlike this which feels waaay more at home being a take on some sort of kryptonian workwear found at the Fortress akin to what Jor-El probably wore. Not to mention, the damage in this suit and the fact that it was able to withstand said damage to me implies that it's made out of a faaar more durable material than what she'd be able to get. I also don't think it's a coincidence that it matches in a way a lot of Gunn's aesthetic for the Guardians costumes since this is his take on outer space clothes. Like if the intention was to have it be like "Ma Kent made it for me" I think he'd have made some extremely, extremely different decisions knowing his thought process.

Also like, the padding and the fact that they aren't even trying to hide the padding or pretend it's actually hugging his body (unlike the Spidey suits) is another signal to me that they're very very intentionally going for the idea that this is a proper uniform of sorts, rather than even attempting to pretend it was Ma Kent that made it. There is also an inherently regal nature to the collar and the cape that fits more what James said of Jor-El and Lara being "aristocratic".

The collar appears to be about the same size as the one from the SR space suit.

The collar appears to be about the same size as the one from the SR space suit.

I love this shot so much. It's a shame that they cut out the Return to Krypton scene. Damn Routh had the perfect look for Superman.

I love this shot so much. It's a shame that they cut out the Return to Krypton scene. Damn Routh had the perfect look for Superman.
Maybe it was for the best that a sexual predator didn't make a good Superman movie.

The current futuristic updated suit on Corenswet...I actually like it but everyone apparently hates it for some reason and I don't know why
There's a lot of good explanations in this thread. And hate is a strong word I think. More like disappointed or disheartened.

There's a lot of good explanations in this thread. And hate is a strong word I think. More like disappointed or disheartened.
Well, at least there’s lots of explanations. Whether they are good or not is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I think that Pixar looking rendition has done the best job thus far of visualising what the collar will look like from a clearer vantage point.

Would you guys prefer a collar costume with trunks? Or no collar costume but without the trunks?

I always love the Pixar inspired art, particularly with Superman. But man if that art doesn't highlight how awful the lines will potentially look, even though they'll obviously be more subtle on the real suit.

Just a passing comment :
For all the rejection I have of the lines on costumes that I associate with the MCU style, I find that this rendering removing the Captain America/Starlord uniform look makes the costume feel like something out of a Jack Kirby comic book.
I mean, based on this image, I can imagine another real-life view of this costume that might still not be the “classic Superman suit”, but whose visual direction would certainly, and ironically, have piqued my curiosity...

Ideally, I'd have liked something like the Fleisher suit, and I have to say that, at times, it seems to me that this new costume might have a little retro SF feel to it, which is a vibe I usually like very much.
In any case, what I'm guessing from the belt looks pretty vintage to me.
We'll see... I'm eager to see some set pics to get a better idea of the mood Gunn is going for. I know it's different for everyone, but personally, the artistic direction weighs a lot in my interest in this film.

Last edited:

Of all the fan art I've seen, this one has made the collar kinda work oddly enough. I don't think the line patterns on the actual suit are quite as prominent as they are here though.

Of all the fan art I've seen, this one has made the collar kinda work oddly enough. I don't think the line patterns on the actual suit are quite as prominent as they are here though.
Yeh I agree, the lines sit on-top of the costume here whereas they seem to be "lower" than the suit and also less obvious.

You have to realize that 20 years ago, Superman hadn’t been on film in 30 years.

These days, I’m much more open to different interpretations for the costumes as long as they are fairly faithful, because the supply of comic-book movies is much higher than before.
Superman IV - 1987
20 years ago - 2004
That's 17 years. During which, you still had pretty big and popular Superman adaptations like Lois&Clark, STAS, and Smallville.

Superman IV - 1987
20 years ago - 2004
That's 17 years. During which, you still had pretty big and popular Superman adaptations like Lois&Clark, STAS, and Smallville.
Let’s not split hairs on exact numbers. The point is that between 1989 and 1997, we had four Batman movies, and between 1989-2005, we had five Batman movies. On the other hand, between 1987 and 2005 (18 years), we had zero Superman movies, and between 1980 and 2005 (25 years), we had zero well-liked Superman movies.

So again, I think 18-25 years of waiting for a big-screen adaptation made people pretty rigid in what they’d accept.

As a kid in the 90s, I grew up on STM. I was dying for another great movie in 2005. Then we got a dud of a suit. Talk about disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"