NBA 2019-2020 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a good story, but I could have gone for a different ending. :hehe:

The Heat got a bad place of a lot further than I expected and excited about them going forward. Can't do anything but dap the Lakers up and keep it moving.

I watch/listen to various sporting podcasts & I think it's kinda disrespectful how dismissive some analyst have been about Miami regarding how good they are, probably because half them picked the Clippers to waltz to a title & some will say anything to try & disparage LeBron James, Anthony Davis & the Lakers achievement this season.

If you make it to the finals, particularly when you've to go through the type of series NBA teams do, the best 2 teams from each conference always make it to the finals. You can get lucky in a 1 off game, but you can't get lucky 2, 3, 4 times.
I think the general environment helped the Heat a lot, mixed with how weak the East is. I think this year, they probably would have made the finals in a straight up 16 team tournament, do to the bubble. It suited them very well. But they were not a top 5 team in the league this season, and if I am honest I don't expect them to make the finals next season. That doesn't take away from either of the finals teams accomplishments though. Both deserved to be there, and the best team won.

One thing that some are, perhaps, overlooking is that the Lakers will basically remain intact next season. If I'm not mistaken, LBJ, AD, Caruso, Pope, Kuzma, Green, Rondo, and Bradley are all under contract for next year. Bradley didn't even play and the Lakers are clearly an even better team with him. I think Howard has earned a bigger payday. I frankly don't know why they benched JaVale as he can play D and is a rim protector. He's under contract too.

In any case, the Lakers will have a real shot next year if they can stay healthy. If anyone thinks Davis is going anywhere after next season, they're dreaming. He appears to love playing with LBJ and they complement each other well. If you watch them, you'd think they've been playing together for years.

I don't like the Clippers chances. Kawhi is becoming increasingly limited and George isn't taking them anywhere deep into the playoffs. Denver looks like the toughest nut to crack in the West. I think the Lakers lucked out when Kawhi passed on them.

LeBron James is the GOAT. 3 teams, 10 finals, 4 titles, 4 MVPs, 4 Finals MVPs, 17 all NBA teams including 13 first team selections. He's the best player in the NBA at 35 years old, after starting when he was 18. Good lord. He has built 3 different championship teams, and two are the "best" championships with beating an all time team and winning the bubble title. :bow:

I can't, in good conscience, go back on everything I've said about LeBron over the years (in here and elsewhere) just because he's on my team now. For my own little unimportant list, he's moved to 3rd all time, behind MJ and Kareem and just ahead of Magic.

Being on multiple teams was his decision. Playing GM, while it worked sometimes, also had a lot to do with those teams mortgaging their future and imploding when he bolts for the door.

And just as a player, he's more workmanlike than graceful for my personal taste. He's more hyper athlete than natural Basketball player IMO. He doesn't have that refined, beautiful, poetic game of Jordan. Or dare I say, Kobe. Or KD, or even Kyrie. Those guys are skilled artists of the sport, LeBron's a blunt object.

What I will say however, is LeBron plays the game smarter than probably anyone I've ever seen. It might sound like a shot but I mean this sincerely as a compliment: he's found a way to compile stats and manipulate the game while preserving himself. He has a very select set of moves that he'll go to when he needs, and obviously as a passer/rebounder, his size helps him a great deal in both regards. He's also still writing his story. A couple more titles, then it will be a discussion worth having...

I can't, in good conscience, go back on everything I've said about LeBron over the years (in here and elsewhere) just because he's on my team now. For my own little unimportant list, he's moved to 3rd all time, behind MJ and Kareem and just ahead of Magic.

Being on multiple teams was his decision. Playing GM, while it worked sometimes, also had a lot to do with those teams mortgaging their future and imploding when he bolts for the door.

And just as a player, he's more workmanlike than graceful for my personal taste. He's more hyper athlete than natural Basketball player IMO. He doesn't have that refined, beautiful, poetic game of Jordan. Or dare I say, Kobe. Or KD, or even Kyrie. Those guys are skilled artists of the sport, LeBron's a blunt object.

What I will say however, is LeBron plays the game smarter than probably anyone I've ever seen. It might sound like a shot but I mean this sincerely as a compliment: he's found a way to compile stats and manipulate the game while preserving himself. He has a very select set of moves that he'll go to when he needs, and obviously as a passer/rebounder, his size helps him a great deal in both regards. He's also still writing his story. A couple more titles, then it will be a discussion worth having...

I would put Magic in there with LeBron in terms of basketball IQ...and Kareem for that matter. I think Kareem often gets overlooked in this regard because he didn't play point.

LeBron is just SO strong. He's such a tough match up because you don't see guys with his strength that are quick enough to really stay in front of him and if you don't, he can muscle you out of the way.

Given what's going on in Milwaukee, I just don't see anyone else being the favorite next year. I think LeBron has proven that if he's on the downside of his career, that downslope is pretty flat.

To me, the margin in the counting stats is just too large, already. Beyond LeBron being bigger, stronger, faster, he has basically had Kareem's career, in two very different eras of the league. That he is doing what he is doing right now, in a league built so much on skill and speed, says so much to me. The league has never been more athletic or simply "better" and at 35, he just won another title as the best player. At 35, Jordan retired for the second time.

I would never ding him for moving, because he moved and won titles literally everywhere. He has played for three different franchises and won titles in all three places as the best player. His return to Cleveland, a place with no structure to win a title after learning how to do it in Miami, is a credit to LeBron imo. Especially as he did it with Kyrie and he lost two finals to the best team ever assembled. That said, none of this really talks to what he is as a player imo.

To me, the margin in the counting stats is just too large, already. Beyond LeBron being bigger, stronger, faster, he has basically had Kareem's career, in two very different eras of the league. That he is doing what he is doing right now, in a league built so much on skill and speed, says so much to me. The league has never been more athletic or simply "better" and at 35, he just won another title as the best player. At 35, Jordan retired for the second time.

Well I don't love comparing players from different positions or eras to start. But in terms of careers, I still edge Kareem just from the sheer totality of everything he accomplished. The fact that people still debate who the best Center is, is disgusting. I think the margin is pretty wide, and that's excluding his College and High School resumes. The most MVPs, All-Stars, 6 chips, scoring leader, 3rd in blocks/rebounds etc.

Longevity means a lot to me though, and if LeBron keeps going, he'll be at least number 2 for me just off that alone.

I would never ding him for moving, because he moved and won titles literally everywhere. He has played for three different franchises and won titles in all three places as the best player. His return to Cleveland, a place with no structure to win a title after learning how to do it in Miami, is a credit to LeBron imo. Especially as he did it with Kyrie and he lost two finals to the best team ever assembled. That said, none of this really talks to what he is as a player imo.

I don't ding him for it either, I just don't give him props for it that much because I never viewed those last two Cavs teams like everybody else. They were built to his skillset specifically, just like his championship teams were, with veteran rebounders and shooters. You don't have the best record in the league 2 years in a row completely by yourself. Today's LeBron would get one of those teams to the Finals. Like I said before, just looking at stats is futile, it doesn't tell the story of the game.

He's smart enough to compile gaudy numbers, and back then especially, he would do it early without impacting the later stages of the game. But no other wing superstar in history has been dared to shoot as much as he was back then, he simply didn't have the consistency in his shot to make them pay as he would now...

Congratulations to The Lakers!

I root for Miami, honestly...though I do not expect them to make it to the Finals (I expecting Boston or Milwaukee to face Lakers in the Finals) but it still an interesting finals. Especially Game 5 (since the game aired live in morning time at my country and I havent got much sleep the night before, but the intense of game 5 is really exciting me that keeps my eyes wake, glad Miami won the game,,although as a result they exhausted in Game 6).

But I am happy for LeBron to have his 4th championship. Though next season will not be much easier than this season,I believe.

Oh, on this occasion, I also want to say Happy 26th Birthday to Yuta Watanabe. Hope his NBA carreer will last longer than Yuta Tabuse.

Personally, along with Rui Hachimura, they are now my most anticipated player to watch next season. Especially Hachimura, he is so likeable.
Unlike Osaka Naomi who can barely speak Japanese (reading her Japanese language structure on twitter is funny and laughable).... Hachimura, eventhough he also raised in America, but he is feels more like one of us, and he also speaks like one of us, thats why I love about him.

Hope these two proud Japanese players can get more recognition among American fans in the future. Hopefully they also can rise and flourish like Yao Ming.

Last edited:

I was prepared to pin this on making things more attractive for the incoming coach. Still could be, in part,

For the life of me, I'll never understand how one of the most outspoken advocates for analytics allowed his team to become the premier isolation showcase for James Harden.

Dribble-dribble-dribble, step back impossible shot nonsense that this entire generation is supposedly the antithesis of, was right there in HOU on his watch. Crazy really...

For the life of me, I'll never understand how one of the most outspoken advocates for analytics allowed his team to become the premier isolation showcase for James Harden.

Dribble-dribble-dribble, step back impossible shot nonsense that this entire generation is supposedly the antithesis of, was right there in HOU on his watch. Crazy really...

How do you think of Golden State's chance next season?
Do you think a healthy Steph, Klay, and Draymond can compete with Lakers, Clippers, or even Nuggets?

I really have high hopes and looking forward for their resurgence next season.

*sorry, if I ask you suddenly....I always enjoy reading your analysis :)

How do you think of Golden State's chance next season?
Do you think a healthy Steph, Klay, and Draymond can compete with Lakers, Clippers, or even Nuggets?

I really have high hopes and looking forward for their resurgence next season.

*sorry, if I ask you suddenly....I always enjoy reading your analysis :)

Hey Thanks. I usually get insulted in here from some of the drivel spewing forth.

Yes, I think GS is right there in the mix, assuming everyone is back to 100%. I think all they really need is a few more pieces on the bench and/or perhaps one more versatile wing.

LaMelo Ball could be that guy in either scenario, an interesting piece to incorporate in their system if they land him, but regardless, GS will still be very formidable IMO...

Golden State with a healthy Steph, Klay, and Draymond, along with the #2 pick and Wiggins, will be contenders next season.

The bench will determine if they can actually be champions or not

Hey Thanks. I usually get insulted in here from some of the drivel spewing forth.

Yes, I think GS is right there in the mix, assuming everyone is back to 100%. I think all they really need is a few more pieces on the bench and/or perhaps one more versatile wing.

LaMelo Ball could be that guy in either scenario, an interesting piece to incorporate in their system if they land him, but regardless, GS will still be very formidable IMO...

I haven't checked it out, but they can't have a lot of cap room.

I agree, but feel like GS needs more front than backcourt help; especially at the 5.

One thing that some are, perhaps, overlooking is that the Lakers will basically remain intact next season. If I'm not mistaken, LBJ, AD, Caruso, Pope, Kuzma, Green, Rondo, and Bradley are all under contract for next year. Bradley didn't even play and the Lakers are clearly an even better team with him. I think Howard has earned a bigger payday. I frankly don't know why they benched JaVale as he can play D and is a rim protector. He's under contract too.

In any case, the Lakers will have a real shot next year if they can stay healthy. If anyone thinks Davis is going anywhere after next season, they're dreaming. He appears to love playing with LBJ and they complement each other well. If you watch them, you'd think they've been playing together for years.

I don't like the Clippers chances. Kawhi is becoming increasingly limited and George isn't taking them anywhere deep into the playoffs. Denver looks like the toughest nut to crack in the West. I think the Lakers lucked out when Kawhi passed on them.

I should have looked a little bit closer before shooting my mouth off. LOL. While the Lakers do have almost their entire roster under contract, some key people have player opt out options. Lakers have some Bird rights. They should do everything they can to keep Rondo. Adding Bradley to next year's roster will be a big boost.

if Doc is headed to Philly, i think he needs to decide between keeping Embiid or Simmons. I don't think they should keep both. It's not working.
I'd keep Simmons and try to shop Embiid for a decent big and maybe some draft picks. Then I'd try to shop around. I really liked Reddick in Philly, but maybe they can try for Joe Harris who is this generation's Reddick to me.
I like Derrick Favors. I might consider going after him. Ibaka is a free agent i think. Albeit a bit older, but he might be a good backup there if he doesn't resign with Toronto.

just trying to get some conversation flowing lol. There's some pretty good players up for free agency this off-season

I hope the Warriors go for broke and trade the #2 pick and Wiggins for Embiid.

76ers could use the pick to get Anthony Edwards.

I hope the Warriors go for broke and trade the #2 pick and Wiggins for Embiid.

76ers could use the pick to get Anthony Edwards.

They could definitely use help at the 5.

If Edwards isn't gone.

EDIT: Not sure 6ers would covet Wiggins though.....Embiid can be......difficult.....

Golden State with a healthy Steph, Klay, and Draymond, along with the #2 pick and Wiggins, will be contenders next season.

The bench will determine if they can actually be champions or not

Something I feel gets overlooked is just how good that bench was, especially earlier in their run.

They've lost almost all of that now, I think it's paramount that they address it.

I agree, but feel like GS needs more front than backcourt help; especially at the 5.

I was thinking more along the lines of how position-less they were at their best. But I agree, a Mo Speights or McGee type of big is very needed.

if Doc is headed to Philly, i think he needs to decide between keeping Embiid or Simmons. I don't think they should keep both. It's not working.
I'd keep Simmons and try to shop Embiid for a decent big and maybe some draft picks.

I've always thought Embiid might be a little less attractive to potential suitors but I also think he's the one that needs to go. Outside of a jumper, Simmons can do literally everything else, especially perimeter defense in a league where that's becoming a premium. I think he has the potential to be more of a leader too, that remains to be seen.

But either way, I don't think Doc is the answer for getting through to them two, I just don't think it fits no matter who's walking the sideline...

Something I feel gets overlooked is just how good that bench was, especially earlier in their run.

They've lost almost all of that now, I think it's paramount that they address it.

I was thinking more along the lines of how position-less they were at their best. But I agree, a Mo Speights or McGee type of big is very needed.

I've always thought Embiid might be a little less attractive to potential suitors but I also think he's the one that needs to go. Outside of a jumper, Simmons can do literally everything else, especially perimeter defense in a league where that's becoming a premium. I think he has the potential to be more of a leader too, that remains to be seen.

But either way, I don't think Doc is the answer for getting through to them two, I just don't think it fits no matter who's walking the sideline...

No question about it. Shaun Livingston, in particular, was just money from mid-range and almost impossible to guard unless you put a forward on him.

I haven't looked at their salary cap, but I can't imagine they've got a lot of room.

No question about it. Shaun Livingston, in particular, was just money from mid-range and almost impossible to guard unless you put a forward on him.

I haven't looked at their salary cap, but I can't imagine they've got a lot of room.

injuries have plagued Livingston, but he's so underrated, and what he has done for teams has been a little underappreciated by the masses i think. he's been a key piece of every team he's been on. i was a big fan of his back in the clipper days

injuries have plagued Livingston, but he's so underrated, and what he has done for teams has been a little underappreciated by the masses i think. he's been a key piece of every team he's been on. i was a big fan of his back in the clipper days
And I forgot to mention Iguodala. So many good players off the bench.

Iggy, Livingston, West, Pachulia, Bogut, Barbosa, David Lee, Speights.

Bench Mob hall of fame.haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"