• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantasy Netflix's One Piece Live-Action TV Show

Just finished this and damn this had no business being as good as it is. I really enjoyed this from start to finish which is the complete opposite of what I was feeling binging Cowboy Bebop.

Kudos to the casting department on this one because they really knocked it out the park and I love the fact that they made a lot of interesting but necessary changes in order to take shortcuts.

The biggest mistake they made with Cowboy Bebop IMO was doing almost a scene for scene adaptation of the anime which thankfully isn't the case here and it actually makes it feel like its own thing.

I also loved the portrayals of Garp, Buggy, Arlong and Zeff in this.

Hopefully, it gets renewed.

Just finished episode one and this is a Total blast. This just has such a fun VIBE to it all and a loving embrace of a source material. The characters are so charming. I stopped watching One Piece eons ago but this is making me wanna dive back in.

I think this could potentially be a hit show for Netflix .

Just finished the season yesterday. It’s definitely one of the better live action adaptions of anime/manga I’ve seen, and I think the series overall captures the spirit of the series quite well and the acting/chemistry with the actors is on point but I do have quite a few negatives on this season. I think the backstories could’ve been integrated better and while I’m not opposed to changes I do think they did do some changes for the worse and there were cuts to characters and elements that I didn’t think work, or at the very least weaken their presentation of the material they’re adapting. I think I’ll give this a 7/10. It’s a good adaption of the series, even great at some points but I did think there some major issues that prevented this from being amazing as it could be. If the series does get renewed for a second season, I’d hope they get more episodes just so they can pace things better and let things breathe.

Gone Through this thing yesterday and yeah, im super surprised how well this turned out.
Considering what One Piece is, they managed to really do a lot better than expected.

I mean the last trailers made it look decent, but in the end this turned out to be more than just decent.

They managed quite well to put around 100 chapters of material in 8 episodes.
The cast was fantastic, carries definitly the show.
Visuals were neat, could have a bit more colorful and brighter imo...but this all looked very nice.

CGI was a bit clunky but CGI will never be 100% perfect.
They really did a great job on Luffys Rubber powers.

At times i would have liked them to be a bit closer to the manga in certain scenes etc...10-12 episodes would have been fine too for me so they could have stretched some stuff out a bit more.
But the episodes neither were too short nor too long, everything was flowing quite well.

As a fan of One Piece, i early on gave them a lot of rope because you simply cant make this super accurate.
I see this kind of stuff in a Multiverse lense, so that makes it easier to enjoy it.
And for that they did a great job i think.
Seeing as how other Live Action material turns out...this here was really really strong.

Would give it a 8/10 and i absolutely would like to see them do a second season.

I knew about the anime, never watch it, anime is not my thing and One Piece is all over the place to my understanding.
Anyway, I was entertained, it's joyful, the lead is great.

Watched the first episode. As expected, Inaki Gadoy was great, a shonen protag made flesh. Really enjoyed Zoro and Nami, too. Really liking the score so far. Definitely going to watch the season.

Seen the first and second episode. Never watched the anime. I think it’s great

^ same... I think not having seen the anime/read the books, helps here

I got some friends who are deep into the books/anime and had like no interest in the live-action cause they didn't think it'd live up to the origin content

but, it's all new to me, an a good time so far

Finished it. That was quite wonderful. I just worry how much of a commitment to this show Netflix has. You are not getting 12 seasons of this show. And I worry that the goal of this show, to build some of their international subs, may not hit their target. I will enjoy what I can of this show while we have it.

The thing I love most about this show is the physical design they have. So many amazing practical sets and make up. And honestly, given the translations we've seen, I'm not so concerned about future crew members. Sure, some of the more outlandish bodies may be changed for live action purposes, but get some good make up, some puppetry, and maybe a tad cgi, and I think all the Straw Hats are feasible. A lot of what I saw reminds me of Jim Henson Co work.

This is based on the anime show with more than 1,000 episodes right? Might try if it’s on Netflix. Want to try the beginning of the anime first if I can find it.

1,000 episodes is.......quite the undertaking. I wanna watch the anime but aint no way in Hell I'm making that king of commitment. If there's an abriged/condensed episode list out there somewhere I'd be more willing.

I'm sure there is a guide on skipping the filler. To give you an idea of how long this series could be, the first season apparently covered around 100 chapters. At which, the manga is at 1091, though it has been assured the ending is on the horizon.

Surprisingly, as a big fan of the source material, I've enjoyed this.
It's not by any means perfect adaptation, but what I can say now that this show is indeed got the spirits and the feel of the manga. I believe the showrunners were indeed a big fan of this world. They also nailed on the one things that concerned me prior, that is the fun dynamic between Zoro and Sanji. I thought their dynamic was represented well on the screen (same as their dynamic in the manga).

Overall...for this first arc, the East Blue arc...I gave it 8/10. (Surprised that this turned out to be good and enjoyable)

As someone who just started the anime last year and was initially intimidated by the amount of episodes, I can definitely say it was worth it now that I'm all caught up with the sub version of the Wano arc.

I felt the same way before watching Naruto/Shippuden and Bleach/Thousand-Year Blood War but ended up enjoying those shows so much that I pretty much flew threw them including the filler arcs.

I'm a completionist by nature but there are quite a few sites out there that let you know how many filler episodes there are if you want to skip that stuff so you don't have to worry about it.

The filler arcs in Naruto are some of the best episodes though.

And agree on the sentiment that despite good reviews, that this won't go until the long season ....I still say the furthest arc that they could have go from here is until the Arabasta Arc when the Mugiwara crew defeated Crocodile and his gang.

Not to be pessimistic but unless Netflix pumps a lot of money into this (assuming they can commit long term to this IP), I just can't see how, especially the further arc will get translated properly.

The long term future of this show imo, is not how long the story really was (just like others already pointed out, a 100+ manga and 1000+ anime episodes)...but rather if Netflix could commit financing and pumps a crazy amount of money into this IP going forward. And given the more crazy the story, the world and the characters as the story goes...I just can't see Netflix would adapt this into the very end.

I mean...how do you translate Luffy in his 4th Gear and 5th Gear form in a live action?
And also Kaido in his Ryuu (Dragon) form....and Big Mom who literally has a Kaiju-size body shape..(and also Shirahoshi, also a Kaiju-size Mermaid..lol)

Speaking of which...I know that the first season only covers the first 12 volumes of the original manga....but given how the story progress since then and with the latest arc...

I am reminded how long Luffy and Buggy has come since they first met here, especially Buggy who at first portrayed as a joke side of character...as now both he and Luffy have already became 2 of the "4 Emperors" (said to be the strongest force in the world of One Piece),...by taking up the place of Kaido and Big Mom. We are indeed near the end of the story. Can't wait to see how Oda-sensei will cook up the story going forward.

Last edited:
And agree on the sentiment that despite good reviews, that this won't go until the long season ....I still say the furthest arc that they could have go from here is until the Arabasta Arc when the Mugiwara crew defeated Crocodile and his gang.

Not to be pessimistic but unless Netflix pumps a lot of money into this (assuming they can commit long term to this IP), I just can't see how, especially the further arc will get translated properly.

The long term future of this show imo, is not how long the story really was (just like others already pointed out, a 100+ manga and 1000+ anime episodes)...but rather if Netflix could commit financing and pumps a crazy amount of money into this IP going forward. And given the more crazy the story, the world and the characters as the story goes...I just can't see Netflix would adapt this into the very end.

I mean...how do you translate Luffy in his 4th Gear and 5th Gear form in a live action?
And also Kaido in his Ryuu (Dragon) form....and Big Mom who literally has a Kaiju-size body shape..(and also Shirahoshi, also a Kaiju-size Mermaid..lol)

Having looked at what has been covered so far, in one season, I do think there is a solid 5 season plan to cover the first half of the series. I'm sure it will result in a lot of changes I'm sure purists will hate. And considering I'm getting a lot of Farscape vibes in terms of makeup, I'm sure some of the more outrageous designs can be done. From what I've seen, nothing of the Straw Hat crew or Luffy is too impossible, even if might not be page accurate.

For those who don't aware...Oda sensei is a former pupil and assistant under Nobuhiro Watsuki-sensei back when Oda was still a young mangaka.

So no wonder why he supports on his former mentor and teacher.

I understand there may be cultural issues at play. Just let me assure you that it is hard from a western point of view.

watched the first 2 episodes of this and i'm having a blast with this.
i've known about the manga / anime but never read / watched them, so this is all new to me.
so i don't know how close or how far it is away from the source material.
but i'm digging the cast, the world building and set designs - plus the cgi is pretty great for a netflix tv show, imo.
absolutely like an anime brought to life.

my wife and son have already binged through the season.

i can't wait to watch the rest!

Ok just finished it and I loved every second. Not since the lord of the rings films have I seen a cast so perfectly cast. Like inaki is so energetic, Emily is so cheeky, sanji was making food for everyone on set, mackenyu was always broody and introverted. Perfection.

can’t wait for more. I’m so glad new fans are climbing aboard with this. I honestly think arlong might be my fave villain of the year?

I absolutely loved this.

There were so many moments where i was thinking to myself "this should not work...but it does!" In the hands of other creatives this thing would have crashed and burned like every other anime adaption but this just....works! The cast, the tone, the effects, the makeup the overall "joie de vivre" vibe of the show just makes this all pop so incredibly well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"