New Blade series details, new zombies series

Horrorfan

Superhero
Reaction score
I was reading a recent Joe Q and came across these details for Blade's new series....

''Blade gets an ongoing series with Marc Guggenhiem writing. Obviously, you know this is a tricky property to handle in a way that doesn¹t get it cancelled - Marc talked to us about how he¹s handling the stories and character, but from your view what¹s this take on Blade got that others haven’t? Why is putting him in the Marvel Universe essential?

JQ: Blade has one very important thing going for him at the moment. Thanks to three movies and an upcoming TV show, he’s gone from an obscure character, only really known among comic aficionados, to a very recognizable media figure. So, right from the start, we’re on much more solid ground. We also have Marc, as you said, who’s doing an incredible job currently on the Wolverine: Civil War tie in. Marc¹s a real up and comer in the Marvel world and he has a Jones for Blade. The other huge trump card we hold is that we have an amazing artist lined up for Blade who also has an incredible appetite - pardon the pun - for the character.

That said, this is a superhero book, rather than a horror book. Up till this point, every time we’ve tried to do a Blade series, the focus has been on horror and the supernatural, which is understandable given what the character is about and the fact that he comes from Tomb of Dracula. But if you look at the Blade films, they’re superhero action movies - they don’t get hung up on the trappings of the horror genre. This new Blade series should appeal to the same sorts of readers who go for Wolverine or the Punisher or any other stoic-hardass character.

Planting him squarely in the Marvel Universe sends an immediate signal to the readership as a whole that this series "counts". And within it, we can still do any horror-related stories we choose to do - but we’re not locked in to any one style or tone. Plus, we get all of the Marvel toys to play with, so the first issue has Blade battling a vampire infestation aboard the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, and a future issue will take him to Latveria to deal with a similar problem there. So we’re not going to be telling the same old Blade stories.

Once we reveal who the artist is, that’ll add another flavor which you’ll get right away, as this is an artist who has a long history of depicting a certain kind of character with a certain kind of style, and his interpretation of Blade will fit the mold really well - you’ll be able to visualize it in your head instantly''.

Sounds very interesting. I'd like to see how it works- I have been a fan of the character since I first saw the movie, but sadly all the comics were kinda rushed and got cancelled. Let's hope they learned from their mistakes.

There is also a new MAX series based on zombies (not marvel zombies- this is going to be a serious, darker series...though seeing heros tie down and mutilate a living hero was pretty dark in itself) which is always good to hear :up:

I read Walking Dead for my Zombie fix

I hope the artist is Leonardo Manco. He'd be perfect for the kind of stuff a Blade book would deal with.

Walking dead is awesome!!! I have the first 4 TPBs and the 5th is due othe at the end of the month :D

I have vol 1,3,4.

still waiting on damn number 2:mad:

The funny thing is that when I went to get the first TPB the had it and 3,4 but no #2, so I waited for a few weeks until #2 came in, but by then #3 and #4 were sold out so I had to wait for them, all in all it took me about 3 moths to get all 4 TBS :p, I hate getting books out of order because then I miss things and it realy ticks me off. #2 is good though *ahem* NEENER NEENER!!! jk

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

i hope they dont **** this up

I am very interested in seeing how Blade does...I will be picking this series up, I dug the last tomb of dracula mini.Zombies are everywhere these days from movies to games to pro wrestling even! I am a zombie fanatic and loved marvel zombies so I am looking forward to seeing what marvel can cook up with this one. I also am a huge fna of walking dead, and waiting for the next tpd is killing me!

This is truly great news.

You won't believe this, but just today I was sitting in my car as I drive home from work thinking "hey, why doesn't Marvel make a Blade comic that doesn't stick exclusively to the horror genre".

...let me explain what led up to this.

Today, I picked up issue .... 14 of Black Panther, who for awhile had been my one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe (along with Daredevil). Well, I've got to say that Hudlin's writing has greatly soured me on Black Panther as a hero. Sure, I understand the T'Challa is the king of the greatest African nation, and I don't mind the focus on the African backdrop. But, I'm thinking it's a bit much compared to what we have all been brought up on with previous BPs.

Add to that, my dislike for how Hudlin writes communication between native Wakandans, plus this early focus on BP getting married (Hudlin just fricken started the series and BP is already getting married:confused: )..

Anyway, I've been waiting for someone to actually write a good (IMHO) comic with a strong black male as the key protagonist. Blade may be the comic to finally fill that void for me.

IMHO, now that move has been made away from 1)horror and 2) Wesley Snipes, Blade could be a very enticing super hero.

Let's see.

Super human strength, but not strength on par with Spiderman or Luke Cage.
Increased healing factor.
Master of martial arts (including weapons)
The chance to go up against some of the traditional baddies in the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, I'm liking this bad boy.
Marvel's new Blade looks like he's ready to kick the Kingpin's .....

I can't wait to purchase five copies of the first issue.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I hope the artist is Leonardo Manco. He'd be perfect for the kind of stuff a Blade book would deal with.

What recent work has he done?

I'm an old schooler who grew up liking the works of John Byneand George Perez.

More recently (but still awhile ago) I started liking the works of Jim Lee.

IMHO those three artist have made the best character models of any comic artist I've seen.

More probable artist might be some of those that have worked on the Daredevil franchise. I can definitely see Blade kicking some butt in Hell's Kitchen. He'd make a lot of the criminals there beg to have Daredevil take them to jail.

:)

Here's another interview with the series writer.

Marc Guggenheim: Marvel was looking to re-launch Blade as an ongoing and Tom Brevoort was assigned as the editor. I'd been working with Tom tangentially through the Civil War tie-in I'm writing for Wolverine (Tom's the Civil War editor, dontchaknow?) and he thought I'd be a good pick for Blade. Tom is one of the industry's most brilliant minds and most accomplished editors -- there's a reason he was picked to edit Civil War -- and I honestly have to say that this may be the first time he's exercised poor judgment .

TheBigBadWolf: Are you a fan of the old Tomb of Dracula series?

Marc Guggenheim: Big fan. I own all the Essential volumes and a bunch of the original issues.

TheBigBadWolf: Is this Blade series going to be in the main Marvel Universe?

Marc Guggenheim: As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words. Check out the art Marvel is providing...

TheBigBadWolf: It is mentioned elsewhere that you want to make the book new reader friendly. Each issue will be its "own episode". With that being said, does that mean you have to wrap up stories faster than you would like? And do you think that writing approach lessens the dramatic build up?

Marc Guggenheim: Very good question. Writing self-contained stories just requires a different writing approach. As with all writing approaches, each has its own pros and cons, and that's equally true for "done in one" stories. Accordingly, I'm not writing stories that I don't feel can be serviced by a single issue. Those stories I'll save until such time as we break the "done in one" format.

TheBigBadWolf: Who can we expect to see in the new Blade series? Will we see more of the horror community, like Ghost Rider, Dracula, and Werewolf by Night?

Marc Guggenheim: Dracula makes an appearance in the very first few pages of Issue One. The first issue will also introduce us to a new group of vampires -- the Order of Tyrana. As for Ghost Rider and WBN, no plans at the moment, but I wouldn't rule it out. The goal here is to be true to Blade's identity and background as a vampire hunter while at the same time integrating him into the Marvel Universe proper a bit more firmly than he has been in the past. That's why the first issue includes appearances by Spider-Man and S.H.I.E.L.D. and the second issue involves a trip to Latveria.

TheBigBadWolf: Are you able to say who the interior artist will be? Art is just as important as the story. Sometimes fans don't see this amazing cover then open the book just to be disappointed with bad interior art.

Marc Guggenheim: I can't say anything yet other than... there ain't no way readers will open the book and be disappointed by the art.

TheBigBadWolf: Are you looking at The Punisher comic as any inspiration for this Blade series? The gritty, gruesomeness of the title?

Marc Guggenheim: I'm definitely looking at the Punisher comic, but more insofar as < when Garth Ennis started writing the character, the Punisher couldn't get arrested, sales-wise, much the same way Blade has proven to be. Garth made the Punisher comic commercially successful by writing kick- ass, reader-friendly stories that ignored years of bad continuity (The Punisher as an avenging angel? Hello?) in favor of a back-to- the-basics focus on what makes the character cool. That's what we're trying to do with Blade.

TheBigBadWolf: Does Blade have any new weapons?

Marc Guggenheim: A machine gun that fires silver-plated bullets. It's pricey...

TheBigBadWolf: How does Blade get around? A motorcycle or car?

Marc Guggenheim: Whatever he can get his hands on. I haven't established a regular vehicle for him yet, but that's not to say it won't happen..

TheBigBadWolf: This is Blade the Vampire Slayer we are talking about after all, so how far can you go when dealing with vampires since this is not a MAX book? Will we see buckets of bloodshed and decapitations?

Marc Guggenheim: I think the body count will be relatively high, and to quote Saw II, "Oh yes, there will be blood," but you're right, it's not a Max book, so it won't look like one.

KevanG said:
Walking dead is awesome!!! I have the first 4 TPBs and the 5th is due othe at the end of the month :D

end of the month? wicked :) its such a good tpb altho i was shocked by how the fourth trade seemed to turn a lot of characters to weird directions..

That sounds really cool...when does the first issue hit?

I think it is a mistake to take him away from the horror aspects of the character(last I checked Blade 2 is considered a horror movie). There is a real lack of supernatural in the MU and this could be there starting point to reintroducing it to Marvel. I dont see how magic is bad for Marvel but DC capitalizes on it with Shadowpact and The Spectre(and Shazam)

I thought Blade 2 was much more an action movie than a horror movie. Basically an action movie with a horror backdrop. I wouldn't want to see all of the horror elements go from Blade's comic, but I wouldn't mind a bigger emphasis on action rather than spookiness. I liked the Blade movies because they were good popcorn action movies, not because they creeped me out or anything.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I thought Blade 2 was much more an action movie than a horror movie. Basically an action movie with a horror backdrop. I wouldn't want to see all of the horror elements go from Blade's comic, but I wouldn't mind a bigger emphasis on action rather than spookiness. I liked the Blade movies because they were good popcorn action movies, not because they creeped me out or anything.

Blade 1 is a good action movie but if you look at the basic concept of Blade 2 it lends itself to a horror movie in the vein of the Alien franchise. Yes there was action in Aliens but it was still a horror flick

i read in aninterview it wasnt a horror book. definately not. more of a hero book and they said they wouldnt nfocus on vampires so much ^^ Obviously that was a bit of a misinterpretation if theyre having 2 vampire stories early on! i guess they just meant not every story will be around the vampire-hunter angle.

oh and dont get me started on genre. its totally a matter of opinion. and in whose opinion could any Blade film be considered horror??! did it scare u? i think not. action all the way.

if we are basing Horror on did they scare me then very few horror movies scared me....save for The Ring but that is just my natural aversion to 12 year old Japanese girls

MyPokerShirt said:
i read in aninterview it wasnt a horror book. definately not. more of a hero book and they said they wouldnt nfocus on vampires so much ^^ Obviously that was a bit of a misinterpretation if theyre having 2 vampire stories early on! i guess they just meant not every story will be around the vampire-hunter angle.

oh and dont get me started on genre. its totally a matter of opinion. and in whose opinion could any Blade film be considered horror??! did it scare u? i think not. action all the way.

Blade is a vampire hunter. Yes I believe he should fight more than just vampires but to take him out of that supernatural element in my opinion is a mistake. Why would Blade fight supervillains????? His motivation to kill vampires is because of what they did to him and his mother. You take out the supernatural aspects and you might as well call this book Black Punisher.

any bets this last more than 12 issues? Cause I think that will be a record for Blade comics.

Lord Blackbolt said:
any bets this last more than 12 issues? Cause I think that will be a record for Blade comics.

I think people will buy it but once they see he's not killing people left and right like in the movies the novelty will wear off. Doing Blade without the supernatural is like doing Dr. Strange without magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"