Superman Returns New details on S2's fit in SR...

Matt said:
However, it is far less campy, in no small part due to Zod. The camp is the reason the original Superman aged horribly and is practically unwatchable by today's standards. I don't deny the formula is good, but I can still watch and enjoy Superman II, I can't say the same for I.
Far less campy? Are you serious? Lester's whole contribution to the film was camp. Again, the sheriff and deputy? All the stupid gags during the fight in the city street? Whatever floats your boat. I'd rather watch StM, and I often do in a double feature with Batman Begins and it completely holds up.

Matt said:
In all honesty, I think THIS is intentional misinformation. The script review leaked the movie's big 'twist' (the kid is Superman's)...so now Singer is trying to do damage control.
The only problem with this is that magazine interviews for non-weekly magazines are conducted about a month before street date. The script review occured only a couple weeks ago.

I loved the scene in Superman II, when Zod, Ursa, and Non are tearing throught the DP, and some guy tries to stop Non by throwing a t.v. at him. Best scene in the movie.

skruloos said:
Far less campy? Are you serious? Lester's whole contribution to the film was camp. Again, the sheriff and deputy? All the stupid gags during the fight in the city street? Whatever floats your boat. I'd rather watch StM, and I often do in a double feature with Batman Begins and it completely holds up.

Not to mention Zod's ego feels less threatening and more goofy in light of Lester's material.

The memory wipe thing at the end was stupid. Superman 1 was definately the more solid movie. At least it nailed the origins well and made the film seem epic.

The fights between Superman vs the Kryptonian criminals in 2 were pure cheese. It wasnt a great film.

I'm glad Singer said hes only using Superman 1 as the vague origin.

Warner Bros studio meeting...

SINGER: Hey guys, my Superman Returns will be ready soon.

EXECS: Cool, that should make big bucks, plus the toy sales as well.....new private jets all round!

SINGER: It contradicts Superman II, III and IV.

EXECS: Which we're going to re-release on DVD. Thanks, Bryan. :rolleyes: And to think we didn't force you to put in Paris Hilton.

gdw said:
Yeah, but if that's the case, they why doesn't she know he's CK?

You know, she could sleep with Superman without knowing he's Clark.

what the heck is super-rape? and dont say sleeping with her and the memory wiping kiss

ok it's

rapingg her and the memory wiping kiss.

Though supes wouldn't and shouldn't rape anybody, he did sex with Lois and make her forget she ever did it with the man of steel... so that brings up a few questions about his morals, I think.

PSU442 said:
if S2 no longer exists, how does luther know the location of the FOS

And thus, this threads intention is now officially blown away by that above statement.

Well done !

I'd love to join in on the hooray, but I'd guess he finds out the same way he finds out in Superman 2, just figures it out with that gadget thingy he used I guess.

Captain Villa said:
And thus, this threads intention is now officially blown away by that above statement.

Well done !
they can explan that lex after S:TM did find out where the FOS iswhen he i in prison.so it would be like S2 was never made.

the question now is in the trailer when we see lex in teh FOS. will it be like he is there for the first time or the second time.

ok i can't remember but in the original Superman movie, did Clark Kent ever accidentally drop his glasses and Lois picks them up and gives them back to Clark without looking? Wasn't that done in Superman II after they kissed or something... if that's the case then Superman II is defn in the continuity

Too many anomalies. Singer painted himself into a corner by indenturing himself so heavily to the first two Supes movies. He can't have it both ways, choosing what to keep and what to throw out. If he insists on referencing these movies then he's stuck with their timelines and events and when he does that he's a dead duck. That what comes from not being original and playing it "safe". Any new touches he does add aren't good ones, like the kid and the god-awful suit. By mimicing STM and STM2 he's asking for trouble, inviting a torrent of inevitable comparisons. By doing so he's bound to come up short. This shouldn't be a "sequel" or a "remake". I'm sorry but he's lost me. One last point: I think a lot of the luster of this movie is diminshed due to the fact that there is another live version of Superman running concurrently on TV. I just don't think people will be as excited as they were when the first Reeve film came out. I remember quite clearly that Warner Bros. somehow got the TV stations to pull the earlier George Reeves series off the air so as NOT to invite comparisions. Just a thought.

supzfan said:
Too many anomalies. Singer painted himself into a corner by indenturing himself so heavily to the first two Supes movies. He can't have it both ways, choosing what to keep and what to throw out. If he insists on referencing these movies then he's stuck with their timelines and events and when he does that he's a dead duck. That what comes from not being original and playing it "safe". Any new touches he does add aren't good ones, like the kid and the god-awful suit. By mimicing STM and STM2 he's asking for trouble, inviting a torrent of inevitable comparisons. By doing so he's bound to come up short. This shouldn't be a "sequel" or a "remake". I'm sorry but he's lost me. One last point: I think a lot of the luster of this movie is diminshed due to the fact that there is another live version of Superman running concurrently on TV. I just don't think people will be as excited as they were when the first Reeve film came out. I remember quite clearly that Warner Bros. somehow got the TV stations to pull the earlier George Reeves series off the air so as NOT to invite comparisions. Just a thought.

I have to respectfully disagree. By no means do i know this movie will be a resounding success (as I have yet to see more than a teaser, tv spot and trailer), however at the same time I find what Singer has done to be quite intelligent. I felt Singer was painted into a corner long before he started making this movie. The original Superman Movie (STM) is still fairly mainstream and is considered the "father" of the modern day superhero movie. It did a wonderful job of showing his origin. In addition, the televison show Smallville demonstates another rendition of his origin (while actually also using elements from STM). For Singer to do yet another origin story would be extremely redundant. This, in my opinion, would lead to even more comparisons to STM.
Nolan was able to get away with doing a re-start of Batman because Burton, while doing a terrific job of illustarting the Joker's creation, did not do a good job at all at showing how Batman truly came to be. In essence, Batman Begins was the 1st real origin story told (and ther ewas also no live action television show concurrently airing).
I feel at this point that Singer is trying to be "original" by not re-telling the origin we all know so well. His intention is likely to tell a new story. However, to do this, he needs a background or better yet a foundation on which to tell this story. STM is probably the most wide-known version of Superman there is. Therefore it is probably the best backstory to build off of. From the previews it appears that he is trying to incorporate some of the newer themes as well. Luthor now has wealth (he apparently has his own helicpoter that he uses to go to the fortress as well as a yacht...like in the animated series). It appears that Singer wants to use elements from the original movies and not actual events. This way he has the freedom to be original while not having to re-tell the origin. The irony is that for the most part people want the same well known (and awesome) superman theme march. It would be strange to have a completely new origin tale with the same music. That would really confuse people.
Anways...As i said before..I really have no idea how this will all turn out....The kid (is it supes, is it whites, is it luthors)...who knows...The suit...the actors...only seeing it for real will i be able to form a true opinion. However, I do think that Singer has done what he could considering the limitations that existed prior to him even undertaking this endeavor.

hoopy3 said:
I felt Singer was painted into a corner long before he started making this movie. The original Superman Movie (STM) is still fairly mainstream and is considered the "father" of the modern day superhero movie. It did a wonderful job of showing his origin. In addition, the televison show Smallville demonstates another rendition of his origin (while actually also using elements from STM). For Singer to do yet another origin story would be extremely redundant. This, in my opinion, would lead to even more comparisons to STM.

Except that the alternative to a "sequel" or "remake" as Supzfan describes it is not necessarily an origin film.

The Superman premise is so well know, and so easily established, that Singer could have given us a film that neither felt compelled to revisit and retread what had already gone before nor retell Superman's origin.

IIRC, for all its many faults Kevin Smith's script would have done just that, launching the audience straight into a fresh, new story.

Desk said:
Except that the alternative to a "sequel" or "remake" as Supzfan describes it is not necessarily an origin film.

The Superman premise is so well know, and so easily established, that Singer could have given us a film that neither felt compelled to revisit and retread what had already gone before nor retell Superman's origin.

For all its many faults Kevin Smith's script would have done just that, launching the audience straight into a fresh, new story.

I guess I am not convinced that Singer isn't launching us into a fresh new story as well. Kevin Smith would have still based his version of Superman on a preivioulsy existing one. Singer is doing the same. I don't see the flaw in modeling the fortress of solitude, the music, and jor-el after the original movies. What have you seen in the previews that demonstrates that this movie is directly based on events that transpired in STM or SM2 for that matter. (Desk, this isn't rhetorical..i am actually asking...I am pretty open minded about this issue and am neither totally fro Singer's vision nor against it)

Wesyeed said:
Super-rape :)

That's disgusting and tasteless and belittles anyone who knows someone who has or have themselves been raped.

dark_b said:
they can explan that lex after S:TM did find out where the FOS iswhen he i in prison.so it would be like S2 was never made.

the question now is in the trailer when we see lex in teh FOS. will it be like he is there for the first time or the second time.

It's the first time b/c notice how he asks him to tell him everything. He wouldn't have to do that if SII was in continuity, since he'd already learned everything necessary to know about Zod and CO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"