New film trend 'the desperation sequel'

That was purely a fan thing though. George Lucas would've quite happily never made the prequels.

Funny... sounds the other way around. Sure it wasn't the purely a George Lucas thing and the fans would've happily never seen the prequels.

I'd agree with the thread. I think Sam Neil in Jurassic Park III and Sean Connery in Never Say Never Again could be added to that.

I think Akroyd's attempts to do a Ghostbuster III walks thel ines. Blues Brothers 2000 was it as well.

And if you don't think Ford and Willis are trying to rejuivnate their careers with these movies, you're kidding?

Right?

Okay.

That was purely a fan thing though. George Lucas would've quite happily never made the prequels.

He did it for even more money and because he wanted to work on something.

In the 90s, Lucas became an unoriginal hack.

-Indiana Jones tv show
-Star Wars Prequel trilogy
-Indiana Jones 4
-Star Wars CG show
-Star Wars live action show

This man does nothing but milk his two franchises, and has not come up with anything original since the 80s.

Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop IV

yeah, and Eddie actually must do this film to make up for Part 3, which i wasted my money on!

Bruce Willis sold out by agreeing to do a watered down sanitised Die Hard for today's mtv reality loving teeny bopper generation.

How sad is that? He should have made the movie for the original fans, not some young teeny bopper crowd who don't even have a clue what good movies are supposed to be like.

They might as well have called it

"Live Free Or Die Hard With A PG13 Rating "

In comparison, Stallone delivered excellently with Rocky Balboa,
and now looks like he will do the same with John Rambo, complete with real action and violence!

Bruce Willis sold out by agreeing to do a watered down sanitised Die Hard for today's mtv reality loving teeny bopper generation.

How sad is that? He should have made the movie for the original fans, not some young teeny bopper crowd who don't even have a clue what good movies are supposed to be like.
You are aware that it was filmed as an 'R' movie, but got cut to shreds by the studio, right?

could superman returns be placed in that list as well...althougth it holds none of the original actors...it's still a continuation of a somewhat dead franchise

I agree with all of them except Bruce Willis. He does whatever the f**k he wants.

Not really, FOX bent him over and bummed him, and he agreed to a PG-13.

Now if that doesn't smack of desperation, i don't know what else can!

Considering Die hard , Die hard 2 and Die Hard 3 were full of profanity, funny one liners, and plenty of violence and action, and also plenty of blood.

Die hard without profanity and swearing is like Rambo without any action.
You just don't mess with these things.

A sanitised PG-13 sequel with a crap new title, a crap director, and no profanity is beyond forgiveable.

Its almost a replication of what happened to Robocop.

Robocop 1 & 2, extreme violence, profanity and blood.

Then they go kiddie friendly PG-13 with Robocop 3.

How laughable was that. Considering how Robocop is originally brutally murdered in the first movie and then to market the 3rd movie to kids was pathetic.

Bruce Willis has done exactly the same. Making John Mclane a kiddie friendly mtv reality generation hero.:o

could superman returns be placed in that list as well...althougth it holds none of the original actors...it's still a continuation of a somewhat dead franchise
Well in that case, you may as well say Batman Begins. In fact, you could say that more so, as that was made in the wake of the frankly embarrassing Batman & Robin, and thus did not benefit from the two decade break that Superman enjoyed. WB was 'desperate' to save the cash cow, and only greenlit Superman once Batman was rescued.

You are aware that it was filmed as an 'R' movie, but got cut to shreds by the studio, right?

How could it have been filmed as R rated ?

that would mean they would have to re shoot entire scenes or re dub over voices for the new cut.
Either that, or they shot scenes twice, ones with profanity and ones without.

i doubt they did that.

It seems FOX told them to make a PG-13 flick from the start.

Unless there is a proper unrated cut on DVD, i don't believe them.

Not really, FOX bent him over and bummed him, and he agreed to a PG-13.

Now if that doesn't smack of desperation, i don't know what else can!

Considering Die hard , Die hard 2 and Die Hard 3 were full of profanity, funny one liners, and plenty of violence and action, and also plenty of blood.

Die hard without profanity and swearing is like Rambo without any action.
You just don't mess with these things.

A sanitised PG-13 sequel with a crap new title, a crap director, and no profanity is beyond forgiveable.

Its almost a replication of what happened to Robocop.

Robocop 1 & 2, extreme violence, profanity and blood.

Then they go kiddie friendly PG-13 with Robocop 3.

How laughable was that. Considering how Robocop is originally brutally murdered in the first movie and then to market the 3rd movie to kids was pathetic.

Bruce Willis has done exactly the same. Making John Mclane a kiddie friendly mtv reality generation hero.:o
kidsthesedays.jpg

How could it have been filmed as R rated ?

that would mean they would have to re shoot entire scenes or re dub over voices for the new cut.
Correct

AICN said:
But even worse is that they shot for the R and when the PG-13 got slapped onto it, they had to creatively edit and ADR the flick. It’s so obvious. So painfully obvious. Every time Willis has more than one sentence of dialogue, the camera starts radically quick cutting, jumping around to random reaction shots and different angles. Obviously they were trying to hide the PG-13 dialogue not matching with the R-rated lip movements.

are you definitely sure about this?

Why are they so stupid?

an R rated die hard is what the people wanted. What a stupid move!

dienowri1.jpg

MTV Movies Blog
Does Indy Best McClane and Rambo? Shia Says Yes Published by Larry Carroll on Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 11:18 am.

As he steps foot on the set of “Indiana Jones 4” this week, a nervously excited Shia LaBeouf has a message for John McClane, Rambo, Rocky, and all the other 80’s-era action stars who are trying to make a comeback. “This is so different, dude,” he said. “This isn’t ‘Rambo’ or ‘Die Hard.’ You’re talking about different class levels.”

The recently-turned-21 “Transformers” star told us that, in the grand scheme of cinematic history, those other iconic characters wish they could hold a candle to Harrison Ford’s adventuring archeologist. “‘Die Hard’ isn’t looked at the same way as ‘Indiana Jones.’ Nor is ‘Rambo,’ or any of those movies,” he insisted. “‘Indiana Jones’ is like one of the best movies ever made; ‘Raiders’ is like one of the best films ever created, action or not. It’s a whole different vibe.”

With that in mind, the young star admitted that he is getting jittery about the first time he’ll stand on a soundstage opposite that legendary character in the fedora. Despite the success of “Disturbia” earlier this year, and “Surf’s Up” and “Transformers” this summer, LaBeouf knows that working with messieurs Ford, Spielberg and Lucas will take things to a whole different level. “Look, there’s no way of knowing [how I’ll do],” he grinned. “I know that I’m nervous as hell now.”

Personally, I think he's right.

Stallone is a perfect example, rambo, rocky.....he wasn't even good to start with, this is just laughable now.....

Personally, I think he's right.

He is right. You have Riggs and Murtaugh, John McClane, and those guys on one level; but the likes of Indiana Jones and James Bond transcend that.

Huh?

Rocky won an Academy Award for Best Motion Picture. Die Hard is considered the greatest action film ever concieved. Indiana Jones and James Bond are iconic film characters; however so are a plethora of other action heroes.

Huh?

Rocky won an Academy Award for Best Motion Picture.

So?

Die Hard is considered the greatest action film ever concieved.

So is Raiders of the Lost Ark. So is Seven Samurai.

Indiana Jones and James Bond are iconic film characters; however so are a plethora of other action heroes.

That's like saying Michael Jordan was a great player, but so were a lot of others. There are different levels of greatness.

It's estimated half of the world's population has seen a James Bond movie. The same can't be said of the others.

That was a remark directed towards this post.

rambo, rocky.....he wasn't even good to start with, this is just laughable now.....

Considering Sylvester Stallone was an absolute unknown and then wrote a screenplay for a film he starred in that won Best Picture isn't laughable, it's absolutely stunning.

So is Raiders of the Lost Ark. So is Seven Samurai.

I'm not desputing the fact that other films aren't considered great action/adventure films. The characters of James Bond and Indiana Jones may have transcended the medium they were portrayed in, but would anyone dispute that The Man With The Golden Gun is better than Die Hard. Or would anyone say the same about Die Hard 2 and Goldfinger.

That's like saying Michael Jordan was a great player, but so were a lot of others. There are different levels of greatness.

Yes. I agree. Many consider Oscar Robertson to be the greatest basketball player to have ever lived. Many believe that the '86 Lakers would have destroyed the '96 Bulls. Many believe Michael Jordan was the most dominant basketball player ever.

It's estimated half of the world's population has seen a James Bond movie. The same can't be said of the others.

I'm not disputing James Bond or Indiana Jones' greatness. The facts and numbers put me in the wrong. But James Bond is an institution. 50 years, 6 actors, 21 films. He is the original action/adventure hero.

Well, these desperation sequels are giving me opportunities to see my favorite action franchises for the first time in theaters so I'm not complaining.

James Bond is totally irrelevant to this thread. It's not like anyone prior to Daniel Craig is trying to portray him in a new movie out of desperation.

My whole argument is, say what you want about Willis, Stallone, etc, but Harrison Ford does not belong in this thread. Indy IV has been in the works since the 1990's, when his career was just fine. The fact that it's finally getting made now, when all these other sequels are coming out, is sheer coincidence.

Daywalker, have you even seen LFODH yet?

yes i have,i thought it was good, a bit better than i expected,
but it felt weird without Mclane having arguments and swearing like he did in the previous 3 movies.

It also felt too "glossy" and a little bit of too much fantasy with that car flying and smashing into a helicopter.

The lack of profanity weakened it truly.

Still, if there is an R Rated cut, it might be better.:csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"