• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man New info on The Amazing Spider-man's use of 3D technology

sweetre15

Positive Page
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazing-spider-man-use-pioneerin g-166174

Now in production, Columbia's reboot of the superhero saga stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Campbell Scott, Irrfan Khan, Martin Sheen and Sally Field and is being helmed by Marc Webb. 3ality was behind the pioneering 3D concert film U2 3D, released in 2008.
The new rigs are small and lightweight and combined with wireless capabilities in order to give the cameras a lot of flexibility and mobility.
"We tested virtually every product on the market and chose 3ality Digital because we were impressed by the compact size of the TS-5," said Spider-Man director of photography John Schwartzman, who is using the rigs in configurations that include shoulder mounts for handheld and Steadicam.

"You don't get the unwanted shadowing effects during shots that sometimes appear using other 3D rigs, and the lens changes only take a few minutes," he added. "We wanted a rig that would not only deliver the best quality and performance but also one that wouldn't delay the production, so we have all the benefits of a 3D picture and we're shooting to a 2D schedule."
Steve Schklair, CEO and founder of 3ality Digital, told The Hollywood Reporter that the ability to move quickly during production is now attracting interest in the rigs from the television industry for potential episodic series production.

"The business case works once we cross the threshold of the shooting schedule," Schklair said, adding that it was necessary to prove that a one-hour episode could be filmed in a typical nine-day shooting schedule.
"Then it's just a budget discussion, which isn't a big difference. For episodics to have a year's worth of archived programs for new 3D networks at minimal additional cost, that is huge."

In recent years, 3ality has been putting a lot of attention on live 3D event coverage for television markets, working with early 3D channels such as Sky3D in the U.K.

For 3ality, the Spider-Man production also underscores a move this year toward more theatrical work. The film is slated for release on July 3, 2012.
"Marc Webb is set to take the Spider-Man movies in a new direction," Schklair said, "and shooting the picture in 3D will certainly add an exciting element."

Thoughts?

"Marc Webb is set to take the franchise in a new direction."

I truly hope so.

"Marc Webb is set to take the franchise in a new direction."

I truly hope so.

I'm sure it will...Whether the the direction is better or worse remains to be seen though.

hopefully the quality of the 3D is avatar level because no 3D movie has got close to that since and not even tron.

obviously 3D animated movies have but they are specifically rendered in 3D rather than shot live action in 3D

I hope the 3d is good but I gotta say I was not impressed with Avatar's 3d. I thought Resident Evil's 3d was great and that Jackass' was also good.

I hope the 3d is good but I gotta say I was not impressed with Avatar's 3d. I thought Resident Evil's 3d was great and that Jackass' was also good.

the 3D in avatar absolutely blow me away

Is this post or pre-conversion?

Not that I care I will be seeing it in 2d and the film will probably make loads being spiderman in 3d

Is this post or pre-conversion?

Not that I care I will be seeing it in 2d and the film will probably make loads being spiderman in 3d

This is native 3d, I.e. filmed in 3d rather than added in post production process like the vast majority of 3d movies.

Native:
Tron
Resident evil

Green hornet

This news definitely raises my expectations about the 3D.
Just imagine some scenes where we swing with Spidey 200 floors high in 3D, and you can feel the depth... :awesome:

This news definitely raises my expectations about the 3D.
Just imagine some scenes where we swing with Spidey 200 floors high in 3D, and you can feel the depth... :awesome:

spiderman certainly lends itself to 3D other heroes you'd expect to look great in 3D

superman - flying sequences
green lantern - green constructs (they missed a trick doing the 3D in post)

I just want this movie to look amazing and for spidey to do physically amazing things that will blow one's mind; especially the swinging sequences. If not then all this 3d tech talk means crap all.

I just hope they don't go overboard with the purposeful 3D crap like shooting webs at the screen and Lizard snapping at the audience...because when I buy the dvd...I don't have a 3D tv.

I just hope they don't go overboard with the purposeful 3D crap like shooting webs at the screen and Lizard snapping at the audience...because when I buy the dvd...I don't have a 3D tv.

I like how avatar had one thing that came at you, the rest of the movie the 3D was simply used to create depth.

That's usually only used in gimmick 3d movies, that are converted into 3d in post production. This film's 3d will be more like Avatar. It won't be about things popping out of the screen, but rather the depth of the image and because it's being filmed in 3d, we can expect great things.

If they're blowing their load discussing the 3D and keep promoting the 3D on this film they better deliver, this is Spider-Man for Christ's sake I better see some thought and consideration in the action scenes.

I'm talking depth in the swinging scenes,headache inducing angles, just awe inspiring stuff, make us feel we are with Spider-Man, not just webbing coming at the screen or a punch.

They better put their money where their mouth is.

That's usually only used in gimmick 3d movies, that are converted into 3d in post production. This film's 3d will be more like Avatar. It won't be about things popping out of the screen, but rather the depth of the image and because it's being filmed in 3d, we can expect great things.

Lets hope.

^^ I hope it's the same as well. That's one of the very few things I liked about Avatar.

sony need to deliver a kick arse 3D movie.

panasonic 3DTV - packaged 3D movie - avatar

samsung 3DTV - packaged 3D movie - how to train my dragon (brilliant movie)

sony - 3DTV - packaged 3D movie - cloudy with a chance of meatballs

sony would be able to shift more 3DTV if they packaged their tv with spiderman, guaranteed. I forget the numbers but spiderman shifted loads of sony blu ray players.

The 3D in AVATAR is the only movie to which it has been used just right. We can thank Cameron and his fusion camera for that one! Every other movies 3D has been downright crap compared to Avatar's!

I think the next proper use of 3D we WILL see in Spidey! To think of where we are in the effects department now a days, and then add the awesome 3D, as spidey swings 70 stories above the streets of manhattan - this will be A_mazing! ... Same can be said for Superman!

Last edited:
^^ Indeed, and I heard they asked advice from Cameron about the 3D for TAS. :awesome:
I'm so glad my parents bought a 3D-TV from Sony recently. I'll have to come over to them every day to watch TAS then. :grin:

Last edited:
^^ Indeed, and I heard they asked advice from Cameron about the 3D for TAS. :awesome:
I'm so glad my parents bought a 3D-TV from Sony recently. I'll have to come over to them every day to watch TAS then. :grin:

yep, they went to cameron for advice (ironic that cameron almost directed spiderman in the 90's) and he would definately have told them the 'do's and dont's' like constanstly having thing come at the audience which is nothing more than a cheap gimmicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"