New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, utrom shredder didn't just suck cause he was shredder but cause his portrayal was just too damn serious, they should have went in a different direction with his voice.

Of course he was serious, he was a cold blooded killer and meglomaniac.

Yeah it was pretty bad when I went back an watched it. I wanted to just stop and look at myself and say damn I liked this when I was 10 wtf is wrong with me.

Wow, I never thought a set video of the turtles in action would get me a little excited for this film. They're caught in an intense situation with being captured and separated from one of their brothers. This distinguishes a rather emotional scene - and yes, I'm very excited by this. My favorite aspects of the previous live action films was not only the humor and camaraderie between the brothers, but also their genuine concern for one another in situations of emotional distress (especially in the 1990 film). I love the way Leo is screaming for Mikey (and it looks like this adaption is abandoning Mike's surfer accent). So although I still have my concerns for this movie, this little behind the scenes shot gives me some hope. :)
My feelings exactly.:woot:

Of course he was serious, he was a cold blooded killer and meglomaniac.

This.

I'll agree, his backstory was way convoluted (though, this was an issue with that series as a whole, storylines were too convoluted) and it was made worse by the multiple versions of Shredder that popped up later in the series but Ch'rell was one of the best Shredder's we've ever gotten IMO and I actually liked how they executed that twist and overall, Ch'rell as a character.

Even if they don't make him an alien, personality wise, that's who I hope they base Shredder in this off of. A badass, serious Shredder who's not to be trifled with, even by Splinter.

Last edited:
Apparently, Darkness Falls was so bad that it made Liebesman want to quit directing movies.

i do what i can :oldrazz:

but seriously, the set video on the previous page gives me hope, i liked the genuine concern the turtles had for each other in their situation, i can't wait to see raph come in and save them in a badass way :woot:

You know, I'm not opposed to change, even if people believe otherwise. I'm just against lame change, like the Colonel Schraeder nonsense in the script. I wouldn't love it, but I could accept an Utrom Shredder. As long as the Shredder persona is as awesome as he was in the 2003 cartoon. I wouldn't even mind something completely different, and they use the reincarnation angle from the new IDW comics. Or even made him an immortal. I only like the idea because I loved it when Shredder shouted how he conquered ancient Japan and brought castles to ground. That was such a badass moment and just kickstarted your imagination. Like who and what he really is, when he was around since ancient Japan.

[YT]by-yiabXomg[/YT]

In another universe, if Bay and Co came out and said Shredder was an Alien, a Robot, A creature from another dimension... anything other than an Asian stereotype, it wouldn't go well as far as fanboy reception. However because the source material has actually made all three acceptable to the fan community in the form of this Utrom persona, that's cool.

Cannon makes change acceptable, this is par for the course.

The other issue I'm hearing about is this script that the producers and everyone involved seems to imply has been tossed out(to the point where the release date has even been pushed back). I never read this script, in fact I believe few have, most just read a script review, but it supposedly had a silly take on everything. I suppose that's enough cause for outrage. However looking at the way bay handles his villains(again he's not directing) and the way the director handles his villains thus far, and what has come before of shredder, I can't see this team not giving the "col." a respectable approach.

Long story short, however outrageous, this director changing shredder to a talking pink head is cool(cause it's cannon), some other thing, not so much. Objectively speaking I honestly can't decide which one's better.

In another universe, if Bay and Co came out and said Shredder was an Alien, a Robot, A creature from another dimension... anything other than an Asian stereotype, it wouldn't go well as far as fanboy reception. However because the source material has actually made all three acceptable to the fan community in the form of this Utrom persona, that's cool.

Cannon makes change acceptable, this is par for the course.

The other issue I'm hearing about is this script that the producers and everyone involved seems to imply has been tossed out(to the point where the release date has even been pushed back). I never read this script, in fact I believe few have, most just read a script review, but it supposedly had a silly take on everything. I suppose that's enough cause for outrage. However looking at the way bay handles his villains(again he's not directing) and the way the director handles his villains thus far, and what has come before of shredder, I can't see this team not giving the "col." a respectable approach.

Long story short, however outrageous, this director changing shredder to a talking pink head is cool(cause it's cannon), some other thing, not so much. Objectively speaking I honestly can't decide which one's better.

He wasn't pink, he was red.

2892930838_769decd92b.jpg

3970370471_d11cd2466e_o.png

However, I do see your point. Though it honestly boils down to what has been represented before. What the Shredder was in the original script didn't resemble anything that had come before.

And whether alien, reincarnated or Demon, he was still Oroku Saki. Japanese, in Ch'rell's case, a robotic suit with the appearance of a Japanese Oroku Saki, and in most cases leader of the Foot. An army of highly trained Ninjas. Everything from classic, to Elite, to high tech Cyber Ninjas. He even made mystical elements his b**ch.

This.

I'll agree, his backstory was way convoluted (though, this was an issue with that series as a whole, storylines were too convoluted) and it was made worse by the multiple versions of Shredder that popped up later in the series but Ch'rell was one of the best Shredder's we've ever gotten IMO and I actually liked how they executed that twist and overall, Ch'rell as a character.

Even if they don't make him an alien, personality wise, that's who I hope they base Shredder in this off of. A badass, serious Shredder who's not to be trifled with, even by Splinter.

When Leo "killed" him the first time, my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe I saw something like that on an American kids' toon. I just expecting that standard jump at each other, white flash, both land, and one falls.

Schrader Shredder doesn't suck because it has never been presented before, it sucks because it's a lame idea and not even well executed (in script).

Last edited:
Schrader Shredder doesn't suck because it has never been presented before, it sucks because it's a lame idea and not even well executed (in script).

If it's worse than "super shredder" I'll drink to that. However, the "movie" hasn't been made yet. Not only do we not know if it's going to be a solid take on the Shredder, we doesn't even know if it will be Schrader at all.

Don't see why moaning about a badass casting like Fickner is necessary. It would be like moaning about the prospect of Russel Crowe joining the cast.

If I'm not mistaken the rought draft's first two acts were actually decent. It wasn't till the third act (the introduction of the Turtle God dude from Dimension X) where things got sloppy and out of control.

I think the premise remains the same:

[BLACKOUT]With a polish, we no longer follow Casey but now April. Reportedly (pun intended) she gets fired and probably wants her job back with a big scoop. In the original script, Casey worked at a facility out of state as a security guard that housed the Turtles and maybe now, April heard rumblings about it and heads off to the facility for her big break. [/BLACKOUT]

The basic outline is probably identical, but streamlined. Now the question now is the role of the Shredder and his Foot. Is he still a military official? Does he have duo identities? Is he now more faithful? Is there a bigger plot that he's involved in that the Turtles don't know about?

i really dont get how anyone can defend the change to shredder, the whole idea he is a American general completely flys in the face of the history and core elements of the character, or how its a natural evolution.

that along with the rumored casting just seems to suck any classic presence from the villain.

the only way i can see an aspect of it working is the idw reincarnation angle and honestly the crew behind this film dont seem that smart to make an idea like that work

Like what I said before, if this version of Shredder is the same as the one in the script, then it's stupid because a character like Shredder writes himself. He is so inherently cool, and this is one of the cases where you don't want to pull what the first GI Joe movie did with the awful Doctor/Cobra Commander.

Do you want a cool ninja armored dude, or middle-aged military dude who later gains spikes? I mean, I guess I would be ok with William wearing the armor, but if he as is, then no. Like what I told Marvin, change can be good, but I can't make excuses for bad decisions. and I'm an easy going when it comes to 'changes' as long as they work.

That being said, I hope he's Baxter Stockman. That would be a sigh of relief.

I like William, he can go bad if required. He was kind of like that in Drive Angry.

I know Bay likes to integrate the military into every movie he does due to his ties with them.

He can have it this time as long as Shredder isn't a military guy. If Shredder is an alien I hope he looks like the Shredder we know, I want to see him fight like Super Shredder with fire balls and all those awesome moves from Turtles in Time.

I'm really hoping that this movie's villain is just Baxter Stockman mutated and they leave Shredder for the second one (maybe for an after-credits scene). They could be using the foot as a background organization ala oscorp on Amazing Spidey.

Like what I said before, if this version of Shredder is the same as the one in the script, then it's stupid because a character like Shredder writes himself. He is so inherently cool, and this is one of the cases where you don't want to pull what the first GI Joe movie did with the awful Doctor/Cobra Commander.

Do you want a cool ninja armored dude, or middle-aged military dude who later gains spikes? I mean, I guess I would be ok with William wearing the armor, but if he as is, then no. Like what I told Marvin, change can be good, but I can't make excuses for bad decisions. and I'm an easy going when it comes to 'changes' as long as they work.

That being said, I hope he's Baxter Stockman. That would be a sigh of relief.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if only this production and it's producers were met with a greater level of objectivity, however we're both smart enough to know that hasn't been the case from the very jump.

At this stage in production I try my best to treat things as objectively as possible. For example, imagine for 2 seconds that it was announced we'd be getting a military/merc shredder hunting down the turtles and...that Nolan was producing. Pretty sure there would be about 90% more open mindedness from fan boys. Granted Nolan has a "good" track record if you're into his interpretation of Batman, and these producers, I suppose do not(cause they've been turning out nothing but bombs). But the idea itself, I feel is not getting a fair shake...which is a shame. There was a time when being a fan meant you had more imagination than anyone and not that it meant you were an accountant to the source book.
Merging Ra's and Ducard is dumb, but not with the right imagination..etc.

If fans were as they are now, the first Ninja Turtles production would have no doubt been met with bile the minute the director was announced and then Koteas cast...and the foot designs revealed...and that splinter was rat first, and april's outfit.

I think Will would make a better baxter as well, but like the always odd nolan casting, I think he has a great shredder in him. To be honest I'd rather a re-imagining than another adaptation. That killed ASM for many a fanboy.

The worst part of this whole thing, and the bane of fan boy culture everywhere is this simple fact: If this movie existed by any other name, it would probably get a fair shake. Luckily the real audience, the children, don't operate on that frequency. TF proved that, 3 times in a row(though those films were pretty faithful imo).

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another FF or GL or even GIJoe, but let's be honest, those films were about 10x more faithful to the material than this looks to be a the moment.

Long story short, excuses shouldn't have to be made, but it really shouldn't be called an excuse until after the fact. Before the fact, or rather the film, it should be called objective optimism.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if only this production and it's producers were met with a greater level of objectivity, however we're both smart enough to know that hasn't been the case from the very jump.

At this stage in production I try my best to treat things as objectively as possible. For example, imagine for 2 seconds that it was announced we'd be getting a military/merc shredder hunting down the turtles and...that Nolan was producing. Pretty sure there would be about 90% more open mindedness from fan boys. Granted Nolan has a "good" track record if you're into his interpretation of Batman, and these producers, I suppose do not(cause they've been turning out nothing but bombs). But the idea itself, I feel is not getting a fair shake...which is a shame. There was a time when being a fan meant you had more imagination than anyone and not that it meant you were an accountant to the source book.
Merging Ra's and Ducard is dumb, but not with the right imagination..etc.

If fans were as they are now, the first Ninja Turtles production would have no doubt been met with bile the minute the director was announced and then Koteas cast...and the foot designs revealed...and that splinter was rat first, and april's outfit.

I think Will would make a better baxter as well, but like the always odd nolan casting, I think he has a great shredder in him. To be honest I'd rather a re-imagining than another adaptation. That killed ASM for many a fanboy.

The worst part of this whole thing, and the bane of fan boy culture everywhere is this simple fact: If this movie existed by any other name, it would probably get a fair shake. Luckily the real audience, the children, don't operate on that frequency. TF proved that, 3 times in a row(though those films were pretty faithful imo).

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another FF or GL or even GIJoe, but let's be honest, those films were about 10x more faithful to the material than this looks to be a the moment.

Long story short, excuses shouldn't have to be made, but it really shouldn't be called an excuse until after the fact. Before the fact, or rather the film, it should be called objective optimism.

exactly...this website taught me that. We have seen terrible ideas on paper become amazing ideas on film and e have seen amazing ideas on paper become terrible ideas on film. We go through this with every comic book film...and if this site kept their old threads I could point you to a few. I remember how much people were upset over Heath Ledger being cast as Joker. I remember how amped up the trailers for Spider-man 3 got people. Change occurs in every comic book movie...so why should this one be any different??? Why is anyone surprised?
The 80's cartoon that is highly regarded changed a lot.

I'm sure if Bay wasn't involved, but rather Abrams or Nolan or best of all Whedon, and perhaps the best case scenario Del Toro, than things would be different. I'll give them that much.

But Objectivity goes along away. Some of our better films look pretty cappy and not loyal in premise and on paper an the reverse ended up pretty awesome (to some) bane not being hispanic wtf. I honestly think the producers want to put fourth something new that the modern audience can grab hold of and call their own. Just like StarTrek, some fans may end up disapproving but as long as the core ideas are in place(mainly the mutant brothers against the brave new world) some fans may end up happy.

Paramount needs a hit here. Bay and co know this.
Especially after Disney bought marvel and claimed their success as their own.

All I know is that JL cuts some pretty awesome trailers. I say just give it till then.
hz7ro67.gif
zyDHDDm.gif

Last edited:
Movie is going to suck unless it's dark and gritty. A lot of the appeal of the first film is that everything looked filthy and raw. The best scenes were at night, when they were covered with sewer and rainwater and moonlight was reflecting off their skin.

They should just model the new Shredder after Super Shredder, but with cybernetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"