New Origin = Opposite of Donner's

that is what i keep saying myself, i think it would be best if they take the best traits that define the characters in each era. Then make a new and original story around that and there you go.

that is what i keep saying myself, i think it would be best if they take the best traits that define the characters in each era. Then make a new and original story around that and there you go.

This....But WB is stupid.

yea i know things to us fans dont seem to be that hard to find something that could be a good film. I said this last night i really do wonder what the heck is going on with the execs when ever they are talking about superman on film. Besides the legal stuff why is it so darn difficult for them?

it would be messed up if after this whole thing they still did the Donnerverse with Superman films....I still want my Superboy movie by the way dammit!

i just as i said wouldnt want donnor's take to be the full basis of any future superman movies. Its still a classic and i like it alot. But i am ready for a new take for the film version of superman. That is why i still say dont make the next film series based on just one take of the character's rich history. But take the best elements/traits from all the comics, cartoons, tv shows, and so forth and make a new and original story with those elements.

it would be messed up if after this whole thing they still did the Donnerverse with Superman films....I still want my Superboy movie by the way dammit!
So why do you like Superboy so much? Does it have any good stories, or good supporting characters? What's the deal with Superboy?

But man... why ruining the Superman mythos like that?

Superboy to me has good stories and characters....I used to have the tape and watch the Superboy episodes all the time when I was younger...Its part of Supes mythos.

I'm someone who literally grew up when the Donner films were released and I believe there needs to be a clean break from them. The Donner film will always be a classic and it will always be an influential part of the Superman mythology. No one can take that away from it.

But the fact is that it will never be 1978 again, and you're not ever going to find another Chris Reeve. It all came together at a particular place and time and it can't be repeated the same way again. Nor should it. If you're going to tell the Superman story again, they have to do it in a different way, no matter how much the filmmaker admires Superman 1 and 2.

I'm sure Nolan liked Burtons Batman film's , but he knew that he had to give his own vision of Batman instead of trying to make a defacto part three to the Burton films.

To be fair SR did expore Superman as a dad , which was new , but unfortunately the film was still too tied to the Donner films to be a new telling of the story. After that there's really nowhere else to go since SR should be the end of a francise not the beginning of a new one.

I think the overall goal is to take elements of what's been done before, while at the same time presenting a new fresh telling of the story without it being an ode to one particular version.

I'd be okay with them keeping Crystal Krypton from Donner's flicks but everything else should be taken from other sources and new spins should be put on those things.

I would would actually like if they said the crystals were a new technology or only used for some things and have krypton be a mix of style instead of all crystals.

I didnt like the crystal look of Krypton. It's too clinical, too depressing. I understand that they wanted a super advanced look for Krypton, but i'm afraid i dont like it. Perhaps a new design would be in order.

Also, i never quite liked that a whole fortress can come out a crystal. Is this how it is in the comics as well?
I had this idea, that just like the kryptonians transferred prisoners into the phantom zone, perhaps they could have whole bases that they would keep in a similar dimension, that they could teleport at their location. For example setting up a base at an exploratory expedition, or a war. The crystal is used to teleport the base at the desired location. Jor-El stole one of those and put it on the spaceship for Clark to have a part of krypton with him. The explosion destroyed Krypton, but the Fortress was safe in the "storage zone".

Its not the best idea, i know, but i think it beats having a fortress come out of a small crystal.

Last edited:
How about a Micheal Bayverse for Superman....All seriousness though I would not mind if he made a Supes films...Sure his movies are balls to walls action, with little character development, but!...If its a mix of TF/Bad Boys I would be cool!...Bad Boys have pretty good character development, with themes like friendship, romance trust, revenge and greed...All that in a Superman mythos.

Superboy to me has good stories and characters....I used to have the tape and watch the Superboy episodes all the time when I was younger...Its part of Supes mythos.

I think a Superboy movie could work too. Lana, and Smallville, could have a big part in the film, and then at the end he could move to Metropolis. That woud be something we've never seen before on film. Also, the younger you make Superman the more kids will relate to him which is something that we're really going to need in a new movie.

Last but not least, movie studios always want a younger cast for every damn movie anyway so just make it that he's 17 or 18 and be done with it. I rather see an actor in his early twenty's playing Superboy than playing SuperMAN (like Armie Hammer in Justice League)!

I think a Superboy movie could work too. Lana, and Smallville, could have a big part in the film, and then at the end he could move to Metropolis. That woud be something we've never seen before on film. Also, the younger you make Superman the more kids will relate to him which is something that we're really going to need in a new movie.

Last but not least, movie studios always want a younger cast for every damn movie anyway so just make it that he's 17 or 18 and be done with it. I rather see an actor in his early twenty's playing Superboy than playing SuperMAN (like Armie Hammer in Justice League)!

Yeah see it can work.

So Superboy will be in Smallville, a small village in Kansas. Fighting who? Cows?
And then at the same time Clark moves to Metropolis, so does Superboy who also changes to Superman. Just get your fix from Smallville since you say you like it.

But in any case, why is a teenager in a Superman suit so appealing to you guys? I suppose CK117 has had worse ideas so maybe i should be happy. Its a step up!

Dude their can be criminals he faces in Smallville....Just cause its a small town do not mean their are no criminals....Most of the worst things can happen in small towns...Superboy could take on criminals, or somne of his rouge villians...Which he faces at Superboy some of them before he is Superman...I do not see a problem with it...And he is a teenager yes but he is so AWESOME!...Superboy is kickass dude.

How about a Micheal Bayverse for Superman....All seriousness though I would not mind if he made a Supes films...Sure his movies are balls to walls action, with little character development, but!...If its a mix of TF/Bad Boys I would be cool!...Bad Boys have pretty good character development, with themes like friendship, romance trust, revenge and greed...All that in a Superman mythos.
No.

Damn..peeps in this thread are PIIIICCKKKY.

Why is it such a crime for someone's favorite movie of all time to be Donner's Superman? Seriously, it had flaws, but it was a good movie. Some people like Scarface, which I thought was crap (and I love Pacino). It's a preference, get over it.

As far as Geoff Johns...he's incredible. I do not like the direction Dan Diddo is taking DC comics with his damn multiverse destruction, but not really a destruction...but Johns is gold.

Having said that, I completely agree that Donner's version needs to be just that, his version and they need something new. BUT that doesn't mean you rewrite cannon to separate it from Donner's version. Keeping Jonathan Kent alive, changing the fortress and all the crystal stuff, you can do all that. But other things must be left alone. I personally don't have a problem with Superman having crystal structures as buildings, but I do have a problem with the whole planet being Antarctica.

I think that doing a Superboy movie is implausible and not viable. If you do that, you ruin any chances of a Superman movie, because you've seen everything. I am okay with Superboy in the comics or a cartoon, but the big screen is reserved for the big dogs, and Superboy is not a big dog like SuperMAN.

I hope we never see a Superboy movie because it sounds like a terrible idea.

Lets get Superman right for once. I mean I've watched 4 Superman movies and don't give a s**t about any of them. Reeve and Kidder were good and so was Zod but thats about it for me.

I don't really care about the people jumping off of the Donner bandwagon because it is cool but I know that I never thought too highly of those flicks. I'm waiting for the Batman Begins of the Superman franchise and more importantly, TDK. The second Batman series is when I really gave a real s**t about the Batman flicks.

I hope to g-d Superman follows suit because if I see one more mediocre or bad Superman movie I'm giving up on the franchise.

I don't want an exact opposite of the Donner series but I don't want another wholely Donner lovefest parade. WB needs to re-orgin just to completely a finally get us out of this Donner is all Superman is about bulls**t.

Scarface blows Donner Superman films out the water...Anyways I too have not liked all 4 Donner flicks...Thought first two were average at best, next 2 crap and SR average at best also...As for Superboy itswhatever really.

Dude their can be criminals he faces in Smallville....Just cause its a small town do not mean their are no criminals....Most of the worst things can happen in small towns...Superboy could take on criminals, or somne of his rouge villians...Which he faces at Superboy some of them before he is Superman...I do not see a problem with it...And he is a teenager yes but he is so AWESOME!...Superboy is kickass dude.
If you cant see how ridiculous it would be for Superboy to be in a village, fighting criminals there, and then moving to metropolis and becoming superman just as clark moves there too, then there isnt anything i can say to convince you otherwise.

Scarface blows Donner Superman films out the water...Anyways I too have not liked all 4 Donner flicks...Thought first two were average at best, next 2 crap and SR average at best also...As for Superboy itswhatever really.

Hence the idea of opinion. That is your opinion. I don't think Scarface can hold Training Day. I will watch Superman over Scarface all day, but that's just my opinion.

It's cool if you thought the first two Donner films were average and I am not saying that we recreate them, I'm saying don't bash on folks who liked them. Because everyone LOVES the TDK, I prefer BB. It's all taste.:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"