The Official Choose A Director Thread

The Kid

AMERICA FTW
Reaction score
Hello friends. The topic for today is one I've been thinking of since I learned Lex would still be his old land-grabbing self in Returns for the fourth time in a superman film.

FOURTH.

So... ahem. It is time to choose. No more beating around the bush, avoiding the crust, picking out the seeds one by one etc.

Ever since that day I've been pondering this question: Which do I value more in regard to an ideal superman, Donner's version or well... Superman?

{By Superman, I mean the entire scope of his character from the beginning to present times.}

I know this poll question might not be easy for some. Obviously many in the public were more interested in something new. But on the internet I've realized that many are welcoming the idea to continue donner's movies instead of doing a superman for a new generation. In some ways I think this backfired in that kids today have spidey and a new batman and have found it much easier to move on from the 70s supes with all the recent animaed and television versions he's had. Personally I count myself in that catogory of people. I've let go of the donner franchise. I still love it as a part of superman history that'll be remembered forever, but like with burton's batman I think it's ok to move on from it. I'm ready for that.

I know it's probably not as easy to let go of Donner's supes as it is to let go of Burton's batsy. However it's inevitable. There will come a time when the modern superman will be adapted similar to batman in begins. Some say "Well you idiot, that's what smallvilles for, duh..." which is true I guess, but seriously though it's a fine tv program I'd never really consider it the ultimate supes origin with all the freak of the weak stuff etc. So I think people are giving it too much credit, though how it explores a new power supes gains each season is a great idea, and something that's very interesting because I don't think this exploration of his developement of all his powers was really ever done before. So that is batman begins-ish I guess.

Anyway to give you a perspective of where I'm coming from with this view of Donner vs superman, from what I've been reading across the internet, some refer to SR as: It's been called a funeral for the donner superman, or a love letter to Donner, the new superman III, then in one review I read someone said it was euligoy for christopher Reeve (not exact words but same meaning).

I'm as big a fan of STM as anybody, I'm sure, but isnt this idea of having a funeral for a movie, a product, a little nutty to anyone but me? :dew:

In donner's film I think he got it, where Singer did not. Superman is bigger than Him, donner, and needs to treated as if more respect is given to the character and doing him the justice he deserves than to copying/homagin/referrencing past actors or directors' work. He's Americana, not Donnercana. Batman's like that too. Thats why I don't buy the argument that since the public is familiar with the donner supes, that its better to play it safe and try to continue with it (of course there's a difference between continuing and requeling). Well that's what I believe anyway.

What about you? :huh:

The argument is kind of bogus because Singer refrenced a lot of different things from Superman. The song the kid played was from SupesIII, Supes costume was a update of the Fleischer Superman, the listening post, Lois and Clark's relationship was more to Siegel and Shuster,and Lex was straightout of Donner's Supes I.

To me the movie was kind of a pause. The movie actually stands on its own without you having to have seen the previous movies. But for people that have, it's a standstill to catch everyone else up.

Donnoers films sucked and Superman Returns sucked so make it like the comic now and it will good.

I like donner's superman, but now it needs to move on. No zod, no more land grabbing Lex.
We need something new now. Maybe Brainiac or metallo. Hell, i'd even take Doomsday...

Last edited:
Since you say the entire scope of Superman from beginning to now, then I say Superman. Donner's take is a great source, but it's a source and not the end be all, like all other sources.

And right now I don't think there is an ultimate Supes origin.

The Sage said:
Donner's take is a great source, but it's a source and not the end be all, like all other sources.
Indeed. Now if only we could convince Bryan of that.

It isn't that he reffered to Donner's stuff, or expanded on it, it was that he stole lines od dialog and ideas. Did the damn Kryptonite rock have to be from Addis Abbaba again. Did Lois have to faint again. It was that he did a requel of it. It was just too too much of what was already done to the point that it felt stolen. We did not need to take that same journey again Bryan. How about a new journey.

And another thing Bryan. It is great that Perry said "Great Ceasar's Ghost" back in the 40's, but when that showed up in the movie people just went "whaaaaa?" and "who the hell would say that?" It was as out of place as Clark saying "Swell" and Lois letting him know it in STM.

Caliber said:
Donnoers films sucked and Superman Returns sucked so make it like the comic now and it will good.
Agreed, and i Vote Superman Not donner, his continuity is way past its Experation Date, Chris reeves was the only thing Good and great about the donner Films, Thats it, when u look at it now, it wasnt really that faithful to the comics besides,the origin, and jorel putting ka-lel in a Lame-ass cheesy Crystal ship? the ship was an Actual SpaceSHip in the freaking comics, and in the comics Krypton did NOT look like some lame imitation crystal Chees 70's palace or HOFF from star wars, there were Trees, children, people flying on speeeders, Krypton had two red Moons, it was a colorful place, and there werent just corny ass Geriatrich counsel members there were many young people as well, Donner & singer's version of Krypton =YAAAAAAAAAAAAWN! the comics Version=AWESOME!!

I want to see something other than Donner... I'm sick of Donner now, and that means NO ZOD FOR SEQUEL either.

kakarot069 said:
I want to see something other than Donner... I'm sick of Donner now, and that means NO ZOD FOR SEQUEL either.
YES kakarot!! exactly thank u!!lol I love u Hun! NO PHUCKING ZOD! BRAINIAC, METALLO, DOOMSDAY!, PARASITE!, LIVEWIRE, TOYMAN, DARKSEID, MXYZPTLK!! BUT ABSOULUTLEY NO PHUCKING ZOD!!

This subject is somewhat ironic considering that Richard Donner is going to be cowriting Action Comics with Geoff Johns. So It would seem that Dick Donner's influence on Superman is very important to DC Comics.

I know. And it's great because I think donner really understands superman's bigger than and can go beyond just his first film's interpretation so I'm interested in what he plans to do.

The question now is what's personally more important, donner's superman, the reeve version that's now outdated, or the character itself that's evolved since then like batman has?

Are all of the elements of Donner's Superman outdated?

The Sage said:
If so wouldn't that mean that the Superman suit Mr. Reeve wore is outdated?

The Sage said:

That's a good question. Now that I think of it, yeah, pretty much... like vhs. Some of it's still definitely good today to me, especially the supes theme by williams, but in the bigger scheme, superman's not pre-crisis anymore and all that. Is it like comparing superfriends to JLU? LOL i'm probably not the one to answer that. Ask Jamal.

Venom71 said:
If so wouldn't that mean that the Superman suit Mr. Reeve wore is outdated?

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers, ven?

Wesyeed said:
That's a good question. Now that I think of it, yeah, pretty much... like vhs. Some of it's still definitely good today to me, especially the supes theme by williams, but in the bigger scheme, superman's not pre-crisis anymore and all that. Is it like comparing superfriends to JLU? LOL i'm probably not the one to answer that. Ask Jamal.

Well the thing is, Superman still contains a lot of pre-crisis elements. The "Lex Luthor would've been a great person if Superman didn't exist", that came from pre-crisis. The costume originating from the blankets in his ship, that's pre-crisis. In terms of the movie, yeah I'd say Donner's Krypton is outdated, though the FOS is a keeper to me, IMO. Reporter CK as a disguise, that's still in the modern take. Lex being a demented sociopath, we had a bit of that as well. All of those things to me aren't just Donner's Superman, they're part of Superman as well.

The Sage said:
Well the thing is, Superman still contains a lot of pre-crisis elements. The "Lex Luthor would've been a great person if Superman didn't exist", that came from pre-crisis. The costume originating from the blankets in his ship, that's pre-crisis. In terms of the movie, yeah I'd say Donner's Krypton is outdated, though the FOS is a keeper to me, IMO. Reporter CK as a disguise, that's still in the modern take. Lex being a demented sociopath, we had a bit of that as well. All of those things to me aren't just Donner's Superman, they're part of Superman as well.

Well that's the thing. I don't really know much about pre-crisis vs post crisis. When I came here, I learned what it was. I also learned that I am more familiar with post crisis superman than the pre-crisis superman. So Jamal would be the one to ask about how everything compares, (whether xyz is outdated compared to the modern version etc) being in that business, I assume. :ninja:

The great thing about the second poll choice is that it's all encompassing. You can have it all, or whatever you want, respecting the past and the present on one hand... On the other hand you can continue with vague sequels to an old superman franchise.

Wesyeed said:
Well that's the thing. I don't really know much about pre-crisis vs post crisis. When I came here, I learned what it was. I also learned that I am more familiar with post crisis superman than the pre-crisis superman. So Jamal would be the one to ask about how everything compares, (whether xyz is outdated compared to the modern version etc) being in that business, I assume. :ninja:

The great thing about the second poll choice is that it's all encompassing. You can have it all, or whatever you want, respecting the past and the present on one hand... On the other hand you can continue with vague sequels to an old superman franchise.

I didn't think the vague sequel concept was a bad idea. You could easily use the previous movies and just introduce new ideas and concept from the past and present that were never seen before or just not paid attention to.

Donner.

His version of Superman is so much better than the one in the comics.

Just superman from donners movie, or all the landgrabbing wig wearing, otis, teschmacher and stuff?

The Sage said:
I didn't think the vague sequel concept was a bad idea. You could easily use the previous movies and just introduce new ideas and concept from the past and present that were never seen before or just not paid attention to.

The vague sequel concept was first used for Superman IV and it was a terrible idea. And I really see no difference here. It'll just confuse the hell out of everyone imho.

Wesyeed said:
The vague sequel concept was first used for Superman IV and it was a terrible idea. And I really see no difference here. It'll just confuse the hell out of everyone imho.

I'd use the concept the same way the old Bond franchise did in the sense that the story would just be another chapter and that it isn't required for you to see the other movies. Sort of like Goldeneye.

Wesyeed said:
Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers, ven?
You are the one that said the Reeve version of Superman is outdated..I would think that would mean the suit also and just so you know...I voted :super:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"