New Origin = Opposite of Donner's

I did not bash anyone who likes the Donner films....And I understand it is opinion...I still want my Superboy movie, I think if done right it be great, and thats my opnion.

Superman movie franchise isn't as popular as Batman's.

They can go over the same ground as the Donner movie. New generation hasn't even seen the film most likely. This might shock some people here, but outside of the 'geek community' the Donner movie is not worshiped as a pinnacle of filmmaking. It was liked but now its this funny 70s movie.

The first thing I'd do differently is to spend less time in Smallville with Clark growing up. In fact, I'd skip most of it, and have only a scene or two of him growing up, and he'd be arriving in Metropolis 15 minutes into the movie.

Secondly, I would have Superman's "introduction" to the world be something far more dramatic than saving a plane or shuttle or something. He should actually defeat a villain, or stop an alien attack or something huge like that.

Personally I want to see Darkseid's attempted invasion of Earth. Have Superman become beloved as a hero for a REASON, by stopping a real gigantic epic threat to the Earth.

I'm someone who literally grew up when the Donner films were released and I believe there needs to be a clean break from them. The Donner film will always be a classic and it will always be an influential part of the Superman mythology. No one can take that away from it.

But the fact is that it will never be 1978 again, and you're not ever going to find another Chris Reeve. It all came together at a particular place and time and it can't be repeated the same way again. Nor should it. If you're going to tell the Superman story again, they have to do it in a different way, no matter how much the filmmaker admires Superman 1 and 2.

I'm sure Nolan liked Burtons Batman film's , but he knew that he had to give his own vision of Batman instead of trying to make a defacto part three to the Burton films.

To be fair SR did expore Superman as a dad , which was new , but unfortunately the film was still too tied to the Donner films to be a new telling of the story. After that there's really nowhere else to go since SR should be the end of a francise not the beginning of a new one.

I think the overall goal is to take elements of what's been done before, while at the same time presenting a new fresh telling of the story without it being an ode to one particular version.

totally frodo its time to go in a new and different direction and all that.

totally its time to go in a new direction, dont hamper on donnor's superman again. Sure it would be ok to maybe do a nod or two at the most to donner like either kept the fos a crystal thing or some minor little thing. But then for the film itself dont base it entirely on one direction/take on the character. Keep it open with ideas and thought from different takes on the character. Find a way to make them mesh together and then we go with a new and different story. Really why is it such a troublesome for them. Story wise that is for a script.

i really just wish making a dam script the execs like wasnt so dam hard.

If you cant see how ridiculous it would be for Superboy to be in a village, fighting criminals there, and then moving to metropolis and becoming superman just as clark moves there too, then there isnt anything i can say to convince you otherwise.

You know what's the only thing that REALLY bothers me about him? The name. I fail to see the logic behind calling yourself Superboy while you're a minor and then change it to Superman when you become... a man. It's not like he's Superboy, then Superteen then Superman and then.. Super-senior? I wouldn't mind a young Superman if he wasn't called Superboy.

That said, you're right about Superboy-Smallville/Superman-Metropolis/Clark Kent connection. Then again Bruce Wayne adopted Diock Grayson and a little later Batman got Robin... :huh:

It's not like he's Superboy, then Superteen then Superman and then.. Super-senior?
Eh, it was the Silver Age. There were plenty of silly names; Superboy, Supertot, the entire Legion of Superheroes...

Superboy gets much love, because he had a number of decent stories for his time and people grew attached to him; it helped that being a teenage superhero resonates better with the younger readership. But he really isn't all that needed; he was a marketing ploy, after all and with Superman around, he's just reduntant, especially in a medium outside the comic books.

well alot of folks didnt like what miller was pitching. heck what they should do is take the 3 dc writers they have signed on for dc project, work in conjucture with a good script writer like a david koepp or someone like that sorry i cant really think of any other screen writers off the top of my head right now. Then have all them hammer out all the finer details. The dc guys get the comic elements in the script, and the script writer gets its up to snuff for film quality and there you go.

So Superboy will be in Smallville, a small village in Kansas. Fighting who? Cows?
And then at the same time Clark moves to Metropolis, so does Superboy who also changes to Superman. Just get your fix from Smallville since you say you like it.

But in any case, why is a teenager in a Superman suit so appealing to you guys? I suppose CK117 has had worse ideas so maybe i should be happy. Its a step up!

What part of I've hated the last 5 seasons of Smallville do you not understand? Holy crap! It's become clear that you a)never know what the hell you're talking about b)don't read anyone's posts. I've told you before read a comic and then come talk to me because you clearly don't know anything about Superman or anything else! Just ignore the rest of this since you've proven time and time again that you can't read!

If they ever did do a concept like Superboy there's no way in hell they would ever call it Superboy! It would be like SpiderMAN where the hero is a teenager but still calls himself SPIDERMAN. So his name in the movie would still be Superman! Also, he would'nt be Superman in Smallville. He could make his debut to the world in Metropolis or any other part of the world later on in the film.

Like I said before, movie studios always want to cast younger so I wouldn't be surprised if they did choose something like this instead of a Superman in his late 20's early 30's.

Jeez, lighten up dude. You and many others around here have been defending Smallville. Now i cant remember how much each one of you likes Smallville so i just wrote that.

well alot of folks didnt like what miller was pitching. heck what they should do is take the 3 dc writers they have signed on for dc project, work in conjucture with a good script writer like a david koepp or someone like that sorry i cant really think of any other screen writers off the top of my head right now. Then have all them hammer out all the finer details. The dc guys get the comic elements in the script, and the script writer gets its up to snuff for film quality and there you go.

Well them people need to kick rocks and give Mark Miller a chance....A trilogy of Superman's life if done right could be the greatest movies ever made!

its still likely never going to go to mark miller. sure he is a decent writer i have enjoyed most of his stuff i have read(marvel stuff). But who knows when/if superman is on plate who they really will end up going with.

I will have hope that its Mark Miller doing the Supes films.

he likely isnt going to. Either if its any time soon maybe a mixture of the 3 dc guys doing projects for wb right now. Or just a hired writer, or if they let director pick writer. So much we dont know.

What about JJ Abrams?
I think he could direct a good Superman movie, but he must not be the one to write it. The script he wrote and proposed to WB during the 90ies was just plain stupid. You can find it around the internet.

well sure his script then was bad, he knows it now and probably would do things differently. But he is likely never going to get the chance on superman again. Though i wouldnt be against him directing now. He is becoming a good director.

Can people please stop bringing up Abrams? He isn't going to do it and frankly I don't think that he is right for the project.

Ridley Scott for Superman then? Micheal Mann? Mann has that bring you into the movie thing.

yea abrams isnt likely to even get hands on superman again. Plus we know they would want someone who they can control more. So it will probably be who ever studio guy. Though i cant really think of any names.

Can people please stop bringing up Abrams? He isn't going to do it and frankly I don't think that he is right for the project.
Hamm isnt going to be cast as Superman either but still people keep talking about him. So... :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"