Next Batman Villain?

I do believe we'll get a more modern villain with the first Affleck solo film with perhaps a classic one thrown in as a secondary. Something like Hush driving the main story but with the Penguin as a character that also propels the action.

My personal hope would be if they went really fresh and adapted the Court of Owls storyline. It's a story concerning Bruce's overconfidence when it comes to Gotham which would be perfect for this older, more experienced Batman. It's not too fantastical which I'm sure Warner Brothers is looking for, and it has plenty of action but with psychedelic imagery and a great physical presence with the Court's assassin, Talon. It's emotionally satisfying and something only the comic audience is familiar with, so the reboot will really be starting out fresh.

I don't think it's terribly likely they'll go for it, but it would be perfect.

Night-of-Owls-Talon-2010s-page.jpg

I really hope it's Freeze. I have no idea who should play him, maybe Stanley Tucci

I believe the name you're looking for is Vin Diesel.

It's too soon for Freeze. There's no way WB are greenlighting a movie with him before Riddler or Penguin.

I hate the idea of limiting one villain to a movie. My favorite Batman stories always have multiple villains working together.

Batman-26_zps76a28f91.jpg

I do believe we'll get a more modern villain with the first Affleck solo film with perhaps a classic one thrown in as a secondary. Something like Hush driving the main story but with the Penguin as a character that also propels the action.

My personal hope would be if they went really fresh and adapted the Court of Owls storyline. It's a story concerning Bruce's overconfidence when it comes to Gotham which would be perfect for this older, more experienced Batman. It's not too fantastical which I'm sure Warner Brothers is looking for, and it has plenty of action but with psychedelic imagery and a great physical presence with the Court's assassin, Talon. It's emotionally satisfying and something only the comic audience is familiar with, so the reboot will really be starting out fresh.

I don't think it's terribly likely they'll go for it, but it would be perfect.

Night-of-Owls-Talon-2010s-page.jpg

The Owls storyline is terrible. Like most of Snyder's Batman run in the New 52.

I haven't read the Owls storyline, but I'm sure it's better than the "Death of the family" storyline. Mostly because is difficult to be worse than that...

That's false IMO.

You're welcome to be wrong.

I haven't read the Owls storyline, but I'm sure it's better than the "Death of the family" storyline. Mostly because is difficult to be worse than that...

It begins as a legitimately good story for the first 5-6 issues, but quickly degenerates into the poor man's version of Grant Morrison's Batman run, told in the manner of Hush, but as I said, worse than both (yeah, even worse than Hush). Turning a faceless, shapeless, leaderless organisation into a villain cabal led by one man introduced earlier in the storyline, who then reveals himself as Thomas Wayne Jr.

But this is to be expected, the story had to be mutilated in order to fit into the New 52. When Snyder started to write it, it was a Dick Grayson-as-Batman story (hence Nightwing as a co-star early on), but had to fit the new mandate.

It's too soon for Freeze. There's no way WB are greenlighting a movie with him before Riddler or Penguin.

How exactly do you figure? After the absolute brutal Batman and Robin, if there were ever two villains that need rebooting its Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy. I just dont think we will see Poison Ivy anytime soon.

How exactly do you figure? After the absolute brutal Batman and Robin, if there were ever two villains that need rebooting its Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy. I just dont think we will see Poison Ivy anytime soon.

Poison Ivy has far more narrative possibilities than Mr. Freeze, thinking in a realistic approach to the Batman's world (which is the most probable we see again, after the success of the Nolan saga).

Bane was lucky to be such a small character that was barely marketed or used with any meaning (no real dialogue). Otherwise they may have talked to Nolan about not using Bane. Of course, it was right after TDK so Nolan could have done anything he wanted.

But those days will be gone for a little while.

Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy were MAJOR parts of Batman & Robin. Think of the character of Robin (Dick Grayson or other) as the sidekick, suited up alongside Batman. WB and filmmakers are still unsure when to do that again. The end of TDKR was a very different and subtle situation. At this point only Affleck as a director has a chance over the next decade or so to win over the suits in the way that Nolan did, and then the studio would let him do whatever he wanted. Including using Robin/Freeze/Ivy.

It might be a lonnnnng time before we see those characters, especially the villains.

Robin or Nightwing may be referenced or get cameos but a whole movie built around them? Only Affleck has the power to do it because of his Oscar AND if Batman vs Superman does really well. 20? 25? 30 years after last seeing that character? When will we see him again?

I don't care if us fanboys know the real Mr Freeze or enjoy Pamela Isley. WB have to sell it to a general audience. Freeze = a fantastical universe. Can they do it with this Snyderverse? Maybe. But you can bet a years worth of salary right now that they're not touching them until Riddler & Penguin get done properly. They're more well known in pop culture, better for marketing and probably more appealing to most directors.

Im not holding my breath for Freeze.

The first half of the Owls storyline is fantastic. The second half is a major disappointment. All that hype over the Court of Owls is reduced to nothing. The first half creates this really high intense "How will Batman manage to take this on?!?!" stake that is just thrown out the window in like one page.

If they want to adapt Court of Owls, they have to seriously do some major changes to the second half. A much more interesting idea is to have it be revealed that the Court of Owls was a false conspiracy Lincoln March/Thomas Wayne Jr. fabricated just to f*** with Batman's mind. That would have been infinitely better of an idea IMO.

Sure, I have no problem with that, and that'[s the way it should be anyway. We didn't see the Long Halloween adapted exactly how it is with the Holiday Killer, the Falcone's etc leading into Dark Victory's story. Thank God because us fans know what happens, and in the age of the internet anybody can find out what the storyline is to the upcoming movie.

Taking the first half of Court of Owls then changing some things around and having a new ending...that sounds great.

Riddler makes the most sense. He's the most famous rouge that hasn't appeared in a recent movie. He could also challenge Batman mentally and that could go a long way in establishing this Batman's world-class intellect and detective skills, which he would presumably need to measure up to other heroes like Superman and the rest of the League.

Riddler is a character so difficult to write in a serious (not necessarily realistic) way, I guess they won't use him in future movies, neither Penguin. I don't imagine Warner and DC adapting them to the serious treatment Nolan has imposed with his saga...

They will. Theyre easy to adapt in a serious way.

I went on Riddler,

I want to see a true "World's Greatest Detective" for once in the movies! Clue hunting and all, Maybe even make Riddler the way he was in the Arkham games?

Firefly would be kinda cool to see, Maybe not as main villain.

I can get excited about Riddler being the villain if the actor playing him is good enough. Like if Paul Dano were announced as Riddler tomorrow, I'd be all over that ****, but otherwise I'd prefer a more interesting character.

Mr. Freeze's arc is so compelling, they have to adapt it, its one of the best Batman villain origin stories. I'd say the musts this time around are Penguin, Riddler, and Freeze. At least two of those will be in the next movies

It would be good having Riddler, but only as secondary character or forshadowing character for next installment, without having actual screentime in first movie, just some clues, riddles, puzzles. He really needs to be mystery and enigma who can only The Greatest Detective solve. I must agree with Rorschach2012, Penguin and Freeze would be interesting choices who needs serious adaptation, but i also want include Clayface among them.

I can get excited about Riddler being the villain if the actor playing him is good enough. Like if Paul Dano were announced as Riddler tomorrow, I'd be all over that ****, but otherwise I'd prefer a more interesting character.

Mr. Freeze's arc is so compelling, they have to adapt it, its one of the best Batman villain origin stories. I'd say the musts this time around are Penguin, Riddler, and Freeze. At least two of those will be in the next movies
It depends on how fantastical they want to make the solo movies. Especially if theyre directed by somebody like Affleck who has an even grittier style than Nolan.

If they go fantastical, they need to look at both Freeze and Clayface from the Animated Series.

But im thinking they'll keep with the grittier side of Gotham while just using Batman in a fantastical element when he's well....out of his element. As in crossovers with Superman.

So Riddler and Penguin fit that.

I agree with you. Ill get excited for Riddler if they cast an actor that I like. Otherwise I just don't care enough about the character. Paul Dano may be a little young. Maybe not. But we'll see, that's a good casting choice.

I was just thinking before I read your post, if Nolan's universe was continuing through Blake's Batman as the younger character instead of this money-making stuff theyre doing with Affleck by basically going up against the Avengers concept.........that I would have liked to have seen a director like Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners) do a small scale Gotham detective/mystery film with Riddler. This could still happen with Affleck but im not sure if they'll cast Dano. They might go for a 40 year old with a bigger name like Dicaprio or do something with a larger scale. But Dano was in Prisoners so that's weird that you mention that!

They will. Theyre easy to adapt in a serious way.

In a serious way perhaps, but they don't fit well with the characteristics of a blockbuster, which is what the studios expect of a Batman movie.

Really? Please explain.

I understand that Riddler lends itself to a mystery film. But it's still a crime movie with Batman. If they can do TDK they can probably pull off a crime film with the Riddler at the center. I think they can pull that off just fine but my only problem is Affleck/Goyer/WB sort-of copying Dark Knight and what they did with Joker with a story where the villain is all about mindgames + leaving clues + committing heists or murders. We saw the detective work from Bruce in that movie, so would this new one just be a more enhanced version of that?? Where we see more detective work?

At the end of the day I say who cares about seeing that if it's just going to be TDK 2.0 (something Nolan didn't want to do). Only because Riddler is good for marketing purposes?

But Penguin, I don't understand what you're saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"