The Amazing Spider-Man Next 'Spider-Man' film will be a gritty, contemporary reboot of the franchise

eledoremassis02

Sidekick
Reaction score
The next Spider-Man film will be a reboot of the franchise, not a continuation of series Sam Raimi created back in 2002 — in a move similar to Batman Begins restarting the Batman franchise seven years after Batman and Robin underwhelmed fans and critics.

This time around, the series will place Peter Parker in a more contemporary setting, as a teenager battling today’s issues. The decision to go with an origin story stemmed from Sony developing two Spidey projects simultaneously. According to studio insiders, Sony was working on both Raimi’s Spider-Man 4 and the new origin story from James Vanderbilt, who wrote Zodiac. The original plan was to keep the Spider-Man gang together for one last film in 2011 before rebooting the series in 2012. When it became clear that Raimi would not be able to make the summer 2011 release date planned for Spider-Man 4, the studio opted to scrap Spider-Man 4 altogether, and focus solely on the series reboot.

Who will helm the new film is anyone’s guess but with the studio interested in a more gritty, contemporary redo of the series, they are certainly focused on younger directors making waves in Hollywood. One name that has popped up is Marc Webb, the man behind (500) Day of Summer. He was previously in discussions with the studio to take over Moneyball, but that job went to Bennett Miller. Michael Bay has also previously expressed interest in taking over the Spider-Man franchise and Seabiscuit director Gary Ross worked on one of the drafts of Spider-Man 4 and is said to be a huge fan of the comic book series.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/11/spider-man-reboot/

jeez Michael Bay is in the running we're fu**ed.

Also a more grittier teenage Spider-Man???? is flash going to beat the sh** out of him every day till he gets his powers? How does a grittier movie work for a fun character?

Last edited:
:facepalm: The last thing Spider-man needs to be is "dark and gritty".

Entertainment Weekly = We talk out of our ass frequently.

I'm not believing it until we hear it from the babes mouths themselves. And Michael Bay will be too busy filming Transformers 3 when this is filming so we are safe from that disaster.

If this turns out to be the studio misinterpreting the success of The Dark Knight and thinking all superhero movies have to be dark and gritty, it will be the ruin of the character.

And no origin story again please, the comics one was quite well told in the first Spidey movie. You can briefly mention it in the reboot, but not go all the way through it again.

You know, this is what I don't like. Why must everything be "gritty"? What this really is is just an attempt to copy what Nolan did. I know people do not like hearing that, but this is what they're trying to do.

It's like when WB announced they were going to make all of their properties "dark". What exactly will be "gritty" about a story about a teenage boy? What issues will he face? This is what I don't get. A high school setting stops the major issues of the world coming into play and limits the scope of Peter Parker's troubles to be that some guy is picking on him and the girl he likes doesn't like him back. There's nothing gritty, and the idea itself is a paradox IMO. Are we going to have a Peter Parker who experiments with drugs and sex? Is that what 'gritty' means?

It just makes no sense, and it really is just trying to copy Nolan's work in an attempt to make a successful franchise. It makes me feel a little ill to hear announcements like this - particularly when it was announced that a similar thing would be happening with Fantastic Four. I do not want a "gritty" Spider-man. I do not think Spider-man should be gritty and if I walked out of a Spider-man movie that was like The Dark Knight I would be dissapointed.

What's worse is that Sam had proven that something a bit lighter and fun could be MORE successful than a "dark" movie. I'm not saying that Spider-man doesn't have some mature themes in it, I'm saying that Spider-man is NOT 'gritty', nor should it ever be.

Once again. Entertainment Weekly. They talk out of their ass all the time. One source. One source is saying it's going to be dark and gritty. One source known for talking out of it's ass.

I'm not.

The Raimi films were ridiculously cartoony and kid-friendly in how they were done.

A more grounded Nolan-esque take on Spidey may actually be something comic fans and older fans would enjoy.

Less fluff, more quality. Mark my words, by 2012, everyone here will be loving this. This sounds like a take on Spider-man that's more suited towards us.

:wall:

If this ends up being true, I just lost interest in the reboot. I honestly can't believe they would want a darker, grittier Spider-Man.

God... please, Marc Webb! Please...

I'm not.

The Raimi films were ridiculously cartoony and kid-friendly in how they were done.

A more grounded Nolan-esque take on Spidey may actually be something comic fans and older fans would enjoy.

Less fluff, more quality. Mark my words, by 2012, everyone here will be loving this. This sounds like a take on Spider-man that's more suited towards us.

Who are you referring to when you say "us". Since when do you speak for everyone on these boards?

I'm not.

I agree about the past movies but not sure of a reboot at this point. The first 3 Spidey movies was not the Spidey/Pete from the comics becuase he wasn't witty at all, MJ was fugly, and honestly the writing/acting was bad. I could barely watch the Spidey movies again because of it. So while I am not totally against a reboot, I just feel it's to soon.

I'm not.

Spider-Man isn't a 'dark' character no matter how many times Marvel attempted 'grit' in his books. And copying Nolan's Batverse, if this report is true, shows a complete lack of imagination on Sony's behalf.

Finally, Sony actually listened. There was zero hype around the original cast and director coming back for a 4th time...and this is from a fan that liked the first two films a lot.

It was time for a re-boot and the wait will be worth it since the bar has been set higher thanks to Batman and Iron Man films. It will be fun to speculate on a new cast and villain for Spidey this year now that the possibilities are wide open.

I'm not.

A more grounded movie about a kid who get superpowers from a spiderbite, swings around New York on web streams, fights a guy with robot arms, a man who turns into a lizard, a psychotic who flies on a hoverboard with green rubber mask, a man made of sand, and a special effects man who wears a fish bowl on his head. Yes, I can see how that lends itself to a more grounded take.

I'm not.

Cause it's Spider-Man not Watchmen... Are we still saying Comics are for adults(not kids) and thinking a studios cater to comic fans not general audiences?

I'm not.

Totally Agree! :up:

A more grounded movie about a kid who get superpowers from a spiderbite, swings around New York on web streams, fights a guy with robot arms, a man who turns into a lizard, a psychotic who flies on a hoverboard with green rubber mask, a man made of sand, and a special effects man who wears a fish bowl on his head. Yes, I can see how that lends itself to a more grounded take.

As opposed to a guy who was demolecularized and rebuilt himself and a palace on mars? And a guy in an armored Batsuit driving around in a Hummer taking down cops and the feds?

It's ALL Hyper-realism. It's never going to be 100% realistic of course, but with less fluff, less of a cartoony approach... we can get something that requires less suspension of disbelief than the Raimi stuff.

Whats everyone talking about? The REASON why the Raimi films were successful was because his films WERE grounded in reality. In the movies it felt like Spiderman actually existed in the real world. the New York setting they used was incredibly contemporary, it was almost like Ultimate Spiderman. If it wasn't grounded already, i dont think it would've become the hit franchise it was. They dont need to make it anymore realistic.

If you read a spidey comic today and you compare it to Raimi's style, it is very very different. I guess the movies are a bit kid friendly and could be the equivalent of the original spidey run in comics.

When I saw the SM3 trailer at the end where peter is looking around for venom and gets pulled by the neck, the movie looked quite serious and I thought that would be a nice way to portray spiderman. Of course it ended up being the other way around with Jazz and disco numbers. If they mean a more serious portrayal of spidey I think that would be cool.

I agree 8. That trailer for SM3 was false advertisement. Venom wasn't used properly. But it wasn't as bad as people make it to be. I like Spidey3 more than Spidey1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"