The Amazing Spider-Man Script getting a rewrite

Spidey_62

You just don't get it!
Reaction score
By Alvin Sargent, he wrote SM2. I didn't see this posted here yet.

Source

Alvin Sargent is back in Spider-Man’s web.The veteran screenwriter (and repeat Spidey scribe) has been brought on board to fine-tune Columbia’s "Spider-Man" reboot being directed by Marc Webb.
The studio is working off a script by Jamie Vanderbilt, who wrote “Zodiac” and a draft of “Spider-Man 4” before the studio scrapped its plans for the sequel to re-start the series. Sargent is doing a production polish as the studio runs with eight legs toward a planned shoot later this year.

Sargent, 83, is practically part of the Peter Parker family, having worked on every single “Spider-Man” movie. The acclaimed writer of hefty dramas like 1980s “Ordinary People” and 1973’s “Paper Moon" has become the studio’s go-to guy for punching up weighty scenes. The new “Spider-Man” is rumored to be more emotionally anchored and realistic than the previous movies. Word is that Peter Parker will be a 17-year-old high school kid struggling with shifting hormones and an outsider status. And let’s not forget the death of his uncle.
Sargent did uncredited rewrite work on the first “Spider-Man” and shared credit on “Spider-Man 2” and “Spider-Man 3.” He was in the middle of working on “Spider-Man 4” when the plug was pulled.

As I said on the official site: I don't like it, no one from Sam Raimi's movies should be hired back, if it can be avoided. Plus, this guy is too soft, sensitive and mushy with Spider-Man's material. This idea sucks hard and steady!

this sounds like epic bags of fail... i mean so much for freshness that they're asking the writer of spider-man 3, who's now a lovely senile 83 years old to punch up a fresh teen film

surely this so called great Mark Webb if he's such a great director could pretty much do a polish over with Vanderbilt.....

SMH Why? Alvin Sargent NOT writing the screenplay was what I was l looking forward to the most. A fresh take on the material. I don't know.

I may have read the article wrong but isn't sargent 'polishing' the script rather than 'WRITING' the script. big difference. the bit that scared me was

The new “Spider-Man” is rumored to be more emotionally anchored and realistic than the previous movies.

hmm, what does that even mean?

Sargent polished all of the Raimi scripts. He's also married to Laura Ziskin.

So much for a reboot..

like I said, Spider Man and X Men are done until they revert back to Marvel. Not even going to bother with this

Sargent polished all of the Raimi scripts. He's also married to Laura Ziskin.

So much for a reboot..

I don't have a problem with that as I absolutely freaking LOVED SM and SM2.

Finally! Something official! You Rock Spidey 62! But one thing, I don't want the movie to be all drama and no action. I want spidey fighting villains. And all the drama and stuff to be another portion of the movie. What's a spidey movie with a little bit of spidey?

from what i understand on other sites he is the guy who they hire for polishing.

so this means that they give him specific notes what they want.

He's old and confused. They give him a saucer of milk and send him off to bed.

©KAW;18348443 said:

he's an old guy, not a cat.

from what i understand on other sites he is the guy who they hire for polishing.

so this means that they give him specific notes what they want.

That's what I got from it. Still, I was hoping for this film to be free of anything creatively linked to the Raimi movies. However, before I start nailing this film to the cross, I'll wait to see how things shape up.

©KAW;18348443 said:

I like you're thinking. I don't anyone back from the all-about-a-girl wussy Raimi trilogy. An 83 year old in tune with a younger realistic Peter Parker?

F you Sony, you suck. Morons. Get Chris Nolan.

While I find it a little surprising myself, keep in mind Laura Zisken and Avi Arad are still producers. If Sargent wasn't married to Ziskin I kind of doubt he would've touched any of the Spider-man movies. It really does feel like a new make, old model though. It will still focus on angst and Peter's relationships and personal problems; it will just have a new director and cast.

To give Sargent some respect though, he is a two-time Oscar winning screenwriter and three-time nominee.

Personally, I'll wait to see how this plays out before I have an opinion. Sargent was only the main writer for SM2, which was the best out of all of them. He only helped with emotional scenes on the first and third. Hell, maybe he's the only reason SM1 and SM2 didn't totally suck.

No SM 2 was a huge concoction of various writers in which Sargent got the main credit... and his lines of dialog in all three films I've not been impressed with especially SM 3 in which he WAS the true sole writer on. "Punch me and I bleed..." I was cringing at lines like these... ****ing horrible.. Let's make it all about Mary Jane, the girl, great when Spider-man's main ideal of great power comes great responsibility takes a backseat with Sony taking a massive ****ter on it.... SM-3, yes of course, let Sandman go after all the murders and crimes he's committed.... of course, WONDERFUL demonstration of responsibility there Parker, the lone police officer lawfully allowed to determine who gets to go free or not... yup, great emotional drama...what horse ****

Not to bring up the past Raimi garbage (SM-2 was the only really good film from that trilogy), but bringing in FRESH BLOOD is what this film requires... not some senile 83 year old guy who at once may have been a good writer but still someone who worked on the old trilogy... What's even more amazing to hear is that there will be MORE emotional angst and MORE drama... amazing, EXACTLY what Spider-man needs... MORE ANGST... lovely

No SM 2 was a huge concoction of various writers in which Sargent got the main credit... and his lines of dialog in all three films I've not been impressed with especially SM 3 in which he WAS the true sole writer on. "Punch me and I bleed..." I was cringing at lines like these... ****ing horrible.. Let's make it all about Mary Jane, the girl, great when Spider-man's main ideal of great power comes great responsibility takes a backseat with Sony taking a massive ****ter on it.... SM-3, yes of course, let Sandman go after all the murders and crimes he's committed.... of course, WONDERFUL demonstration of responsibility there Parker, the lone police officer lawfully allowed to determine who gets to go free or not... yup, great emotional drama...what horse ****

Not to bring up the past Raimi garbage (SM-2 was the only really good film from that trilogy), but bringing in FRESH BLOOD is what this film requires... not some senile 83 year old guy who at once may have been a good writer but still someone who worked on the old trilogy... What's even more amazing to hear is that there will be MORE emotional angst and MORE drama... amazing, EXACTLY what Spider-man needs... MORE ANGST... lovely

I am utterly disgusted at this news - you're exactly right, fresh blood, not some sawdust old writer who's the husband of the producer who made the last crap trilogy.

Disgusted, I think I am now boycotting this piece of crap, based on this news solely. I desperatey wanted a reboot - and we may get a rehash from one of the previous writers???

Garbage, Sony is garbage. I hate Hollywood.

By Alvin Sargent, he wrote SM2. I didn't see this posted here yet.

Source

The new “Spider-Man” is rumored to be more emotionally anchored and realistic than the previous movies. Word is that Peter Parker will be a 17-year-old high school kid struggling with shifting hormones and an outsider status. And let’s not forget the death of his uncle.

So... basically SM1. Gotcha... :doh:

Get Chris Nolan.

get chris nolan to make EVERY super hero movie, that would aces!!! YAY!!

*spidey drops hammer head off ledge*

spidey - WHERE IS HE!!

hammerhead - I don't know where goblin is, he contacts me via new clippings...'

spidey - 'HE MUST HAVE FREINDS!!'

I don't think Nolan will do a Spidey flick. He's got enough on his plate as is.

get chris nolan to make EVERY super hero movie, that would aces!!! YAY!!

*spidey drops hammer head off ledge*

spidey - WHERE IS HE!!

hammerhead - I don't know where goblin is, he contacts me via new clippings...'

spidey - 'HE MUST HAVE FREINDS!!'

:hehe: That made me laugh.

I don't think Nolan would do a Spidey film either. I can't really see him doing another super hero film aside from Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"