The Amazing Spider-Man Next 'Spider-Man' film will be a gritty, contemporary reboot of the franchise

Whats everyone talking about? The REASON why the Raimi films were successful was because his films WERE grounded in reality. In the movies it felt like Spiderman actually existed in the real world. the New York setting they used was incredibly contemporary, it was almost like Ultimate Spiderman. If it wasn't grounded already, i dont think it would've become the hit franchise it was. They dont need to make it anymore realistic.

Totally agree. I don't know what they mean by grounded. The Spidey movies were serious in serious moments and funny/fun at fun/comedic moments. That's called personality. Sorry that SM3 wasn't great I'm not gonna lie when I saw it in theaters I thought it was awesome. Then I saw it again not so much. There are a lot of great parts in that movie, but sadly all people remember is the dancing. But there's nothing we can do about it now really but sit back and see what comes of all this.

I've always wanted a more complex and mature Spider-Man film. I too agree that Sam Raimi's movies were too cartoony, it didn't allow for three or four scenes in a row to remain serious or believable. Spider-Man lives in New York, trust me, this place has its share of grit. And by way of the villains, I don't mind my villains to be killing machines with complexity. I want grit in my villain, just not in my Spidey.

However, I do like Spider-Man with a freakin' personality, Spidey should be witty, thought provoking, humorous, highly intelligent and serious all in one film.

Last edited:
I dont care what anyone says, the part in SM3 where he was fighting the giant Sandman and the the large crowd was watching and cheering him on gave me goosebumps. Thats what made those films feel real and authentic. It felt like a real New York city was reacting to a real battle in Time Square.

Not knocking your point kguillou because like I stated earlier, I think SM3 is better than SM1, but it's just the freakin acting was robotic at times.

I totally agree, the acting was very robotic at times. BUT i was just trying to say there were some strong redeeming qualities of that movie as well such as the Giant Sandman fight. I just think Raimi did an overall great job of making the films feel real while also injecting fictional aspects at the same time.

I also think Raimi was being selfish when it came to Spiderman by only doing the villians he wanted and not what the fans/public wanted. Again, the handling of Venom was my main thing. Avi was right, he was being selfish becuase he personally hated Venom but he lead in every poll as the villian of choice for SM3 but becuase he personally hated the characted, he didn't want to do it. So when he did it, he f-ed it up on purpose as to say haha, I did it, happy now?! Again, I don't think he really tried with Venom becuase he never liked him but if the fans and studio wanted that villian, then roll with it and try to make it work. As far as Vulture, the only reason I feel Sony is going with Vultress is becuase they know Vulture as a stand alone villian won't work and I agree with them on that point. It's a horrible idea. I'd rather see Kraven or whoever else than Vulture.

I dont think he was being selfish, i just think Sam had a specific story he wanted to tell since SM1 and he had a plan. When SM3 rolled around, Sony kinda ruined his plans by throwing in venom and Sam had another vision. Yeah, he knew the fans wanted venom but its not his fault he didnt like venom. He just didnt like venom, Sam was only gonna work with characters that he knew well and it just so happened venom wasn't one of them. If Sony had listened to him, then they wouldnt be in the predicament right now.

Awful lot of "he" in your post when it comes to Raimi. Again, he made it all about himself and noone else. Spidey is beyond just a director. It's about the fans, the studio, story, not just him.

I thought he did Venom wrong because he didnt know the Charater *thus not wanting to do him* but producers and Sony pushed it on him and even cut his film into what we see *and evident from photos/video*

I honestly think, yes we can blame some stuff on Rami like the homages to his other films *though they make you chuckle* kinda ruin the scene. But face it, the power in Hollywood is the producers. And when a movie becomes really popular the producers give the directors less say with the threat of pulling out.
This is evident with foreign directors and actors who have come to work in hollywood. The can't stand the fact that the Producers have more power than the director. and it's sad but true.

I'm thinking the next movie will be more "serious", but still have alot of fun and wit known to Spider-Man.

Well, my interest level in this reboot just went to zero. I think "realism" in comics and in comic based movies is inane. Spidey just needs to be himself. Hopefully they don't make a Dark Knight clone and make a real Spider-Man movie instead.

Taking this with a grain of salt, because it's Entertainment Weekly.

Though I'm laughing right now because I just pictured Spider-Man with Christian Bale's Batman voice.

"Rawwwwrrr, I'm not wearing hockey pads."

This film/take on Spidey is looking to the wrong franchise for inspiration if it's looking to Nolan's Batman. But there is another light to show the way.......:whatever:

I'm just not sure if I want to hope that this franchise gets saved at all right now.

The last thing spidey needs is grit. Spidey is the best example of a fun fantasy character. SP 1 and 2 handeled it well. Like in SM 2 when he sits down and tells aunt may what really happened to uncle ben. Now that was real, it was solid acting, everything. I can't see them doing anything better than that.

It's funny how everyone feels so certain the new films will be better when we don't know director, actors, or anything other than they want grit.

The perfect scenario would've been if marvel got control of the franchise then put spidey in the same universe as the other marvel characters, similar in tone as well.

I do believe Sam didnt' have anything more to add creatively to the spidey franchise, so i'm glad they're going in a new direction, just wish they were moving forward instead of re-treading old ground. You'd think you could tell better stories by just having him in college, established as spidey, recast everyone, send MJ away (to california to pursue acting). Then just do some quality stories, going back to the beginning adds nothing.

The thing that makes Spider-Man special and basically Marvel's flagship is because he is pretty much this everyman character thrust into dark and grim ****, in his own books and in other character's books. When he's dealing with other heroes or teaming up in other issues, he's always the one that's pretty much speaking for the reader like, "this **** is really happening?!" If they want to go gritty, fine, but keep him as he is.

*sighs*

I've gone from optimistic to pessimistic in under an hour.
I have always been a Spidey optimist. When I heard Sony was once again ****ing around with Raimi like they did with SM3, I turned instantly pessimistic. I have no hope for SM1.2 like I do for any future X-Men movie. Sony is now Fox in regards to their superhero franchise. I will not get my hopes up for anything and Sony had better do a damn good job at impressing me when they put out this reboot or I'm out like I am with X-Men until Fox can start making good movies again.

1) Spider-Man ought not be gritty or dark.

2) What exactly isn't contemporary about 2002-2007?

It's...entertainment...weekly...ENTERTAINMENT ''********" WEEKLY.

Take it with a grain of salt people.

As a long time fan of the comics I want a darker and grittier film. Not a darker Spider-man, Spider-man should be funny and confident (something Tobey failed at miserably), but when it comes down to it the best comics are always the ones where the **** hit the fan and hell broke loose.

I'm talking about psychological mind games that drove him nearly insane that some villains put down on him. Peter's life gets seriously ****ed by being Spider-man and it takes a serious and dark movie to portray the milestone stories of the comics correctly.

Raimi's Spiderman WAS too sunshiny and cartoon in comparison with the majority of the comics.

The comics were always darker and more adult than the Spider-man cartoons which were not allowed to have the serious **** that went on in the comics...Raimi's Spider-man felt like it was holding back in the same way.

Last edited:
I have always been a Spidey optimist. When I heard Sony was once again ****ing around with Raimi like they did with SM3, I turned instantly pessimistic. I have no hope for SM1.2 like I do for any future X-Men movie. Sony is now Fox in regards to their superhero franchise. I will not get my hopes up for anything and Sony had better do a damn good job at impressing me when they put out this reboot or I'm out like I am with X-Men until Fox can start making good movies again.

this.

What if Marvel decides to use Spiderman to go after the 'Twilight' money?

What I mean is to re-shape the Spiderman mythos to fit the mythos and structure of the recent Twilight films in order to try and cash in on the success those films generate?

Example:

Mary Jane Watson is the new girl in high school. She becomes attracted to Peter Parker, a brooding, distant, loner who everyone says is weird. In trying to become closer to him, she discovers who he truly is - the masked vigilante Spiderman! Peter tries to explain that she shouldn't be with him, that he's dangerous to be around and the people he loves get hurt - or worse (flashback to Uncle Ben being shot). She falls in love with Peter and is drawn into his world of super powers and super villians as Peter tries to keep her safe.

In the sequel? She is injured during a fight with The Rhino and Peter leaves her in order to protect her, blaming himself and saying the life he chose does not allow for romance. With Peter gone? She begins to fall for Harry Osborn, who she doesn't even realize is a super villian.

What do you any of you think? Possible?

What if Marvel decides to use Spiderman to go after the 'Twilight' money?

What I mean is to re-shape the Spiderman mythos to fit the mythos and structure of the recent Twilight films in order to try and cash in on the success those films generate?

Example:

Mary Jane Watson is the new girl in high school. She becomes attracted to Peter Parker, a brooding, distant, loner who everyone says is weird. In trying to become closer to him, she discovers who he truly is - the masked vigilante Spiderman! Peter tries to explain that she shouldn't be with him, that he's dangerous to be around and the people he loves get hurt - or worse (flashback to Uncle Ben being shot). She falls in love with Peter and is drawn into his world of super powers and super villians as Peter tries to keep her safe.

In the sequel? She is injured during a fight with The Rhino and Peter leaves her in order to protect her, blaming himself and saying the life he chose does not allow for romance. With Peter gone? She begins to fall for Harry Osborn, who she doesn't even realize is a super villian.

What do you any of you think? Possible?

Yeah if this happened even Schumaker would have the right to laugh at this...also if they even did this, the Spidey movie franchise should get the Superman treatment. No movies for long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"