The Amazing Spider-Man Script getting a rewrite

Can I be honest with you? I have never finished Batman Returns:shock

so thats my bad. You can take that point away then.

Haha, it's okay. It's one of those movies you like or you don't. I hated for the longest time, because the Penguin scared the crap out of me as a kid. As I got older I enjoyed it more, but it's still not a Batman movie I'd watch all the time, but if it pops up on TV I'll sit down and watch it.

Haha, it's okay. It's one of those movies you like or you don't. I hated for the longest time, because the Penguin scared the crap out of me as a kid. As I got older I enjoyed it more, but it's still not a Batman movie I'd watch all the time, but if it pops up on TV I'll sit down and watch it.

I absolutely hated batman returns, the movie bored me to absolute tears. to be honest I think the whole batman series from the 80's and 90's is pretty rubbish and thought that long before the nolan movies came along in case someone accuses me of revisionism and hindsight.

I thought the 80's/90's batman didn't get the essence of batman (batman forever came the closest imho) maybe the spidey reboot will make people feel the same way but I will say raimi got a hell of a lot closer to spidey's essence than burton/joel s**tmaker got to batman. there are still elements of batman's/spidey's essense STILL missing from the movies - spidey's quips/bruce's scientific savvy - peter/bruce's genius.

Last edited:
I use to LOVE Batman Returns as a kid, it's responsible for introducing me to Batman. After that movie came out I bought all the comics I could, once the animated series hit, I watched/taped it everyday, bought all the action figures, and thus, became obsessed with the bat.

now @ 26, I can say it's not that great of a film. Sure I'll watch it from time to time, but I enjoy Batman89, Forever, Begins and TDK much much more.

I use to LOVE Batman Returns as a kid, it's responsible for introducing me to Batman. After that movie came out I bought all the comics I could, once the animated series hit, I watched/taped it everyday, bought all the action figures, and thus, became obsessed with the bat.

now @ 26, I can say it's not that great of a film. Sure I'll watch it from time to time, but I enjoy Batman89, Forever, Begins and TDK much much more.

when you watch BB and TDK you can't help but roll your eyes at the 80's/90's movies. pretty much like I roll my eyes at SM3 when I think about SM2.

Me too. It's actually my second favorite Batman movie after TDK. Although I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's an acquired taste.

After reading all these posts, I went back only to realize, I am not in the Batman section. I am in the Spider-man section.
These last 2 pages are about Batman.

So... I think I heard filming for the new Spidey movie would start in July. Now it is almost June and the script is getting a re-write and as far as we know no one has been cast.
Who thinks this movie will still make it out on time?

After reading all these posts, I went back only to realize, I am not in the Batman section. I am in the Spider-man section.

So... I think I heard filming for the new Spidey movie would start in July. Now it is almost June and the script is getting a re-write and as far as we know no one has been cast.

they'll sit on it and twiddle their thumbs, they'll then realise in 2011 'oh s***! we've only got a year to get the film finished!!' and then rush it.

Weren't the Raimi movies filmed a year before they were released? If so, I would expect the same for the reboot.

:hehe: got a little carried away

and yes, I think it will still be released as planned, Sony will make sure of that, but it'll be rushed as all hell. My interest in anything Spidey/Sony related is going the way of my XMen/Fox feelings, absolute 0. Right now I'm about 25% interested in this reboot, I'm waiting on the previews though to decide whether or not I'll be making the trip to the theater

Maybe it's not completely on-topic, but for everything The Dark Knight and Begins got right, I'd much rather watch Batman or Batman Forever. The Nolan films are good, but they're much too bleak for me to enjoy repeated viewings. No fun in them at all.

I absolutely hated batman returns, the movie bored me to absolute tears. to be honest I think the whole batman series from the 80's and 90's is pretty rubbish and thought that long before the nolan movies came along in case someone accuses me of revisionism and hindsight.

I thought the 80's/90's batman didn't get the essence of batman (batman forever came the closest imho) maybe the spidey reboot will make people feel the same way but I will say raimi got a hell of a lot closer to spidey's essence than burton/joel s**tmaker got to batman. there are still elements of batman's/spidey's essense STILL missing from the movies - spidey's quips/bruce's scientific savvy - peter/bruce's genius.

Agreed with everything in this post except I like Batman '89. I like how in Spiderman 2 they kind of eluded to Pete's genius when he was talking with Ock and how he thought that the experiment would be dangerous, BUT they never dove deep enough into that. That is another reason I love Sm2. They at least acknowledge is genius and it even comes into play a bit.

Maybe it's not completely on-topic, but for everything The Dark Knight and Begins got right, I'd much rather watch Batman or Batman Forever. The Nolan films are good, but they're much too bleak for me to enjoy repeated viewings. No fun in them at all.

Not everyone appreciates black humor. I noticed you didn't include Batman returns. That movie has even more black humor than TDK.

It seems like Batman Returns lately pops up in many threads I go to, lol. Seriously underrated film, and I think the Burton films as a whole are underappreciated now due to revisionist history and the love affair Nolan has with comic fans.

As for this film, I just don't see how anyone can be happy with this rewrite. Sargent is a studio tool for a studio that lately is heavy in micromanagment, and is MARRIED to a producer. Things like this just don't pass my sniff test. SM2, he may have been innocently brought in, but he became a studio tool like Richard Lester before him the instant the producers decided to commission him to do a Venom-Sandman-Harry script in order to force Venom into SM3 over Vulture.

This. Is. Trouble.

As for Raimi assuming responsibility, I still say the studio shoulders more blame. I do think Raimi take like, a 3rd of the SM3 blame, but the studio takes the other 2/3's of it. We would have got a different SM3 had they not been gung ho for Venom. Hell, maybe they could have convinced Sam to limit the villain count after Venom was in, but they didn't care about the film's quality. Not at any point. They cared about $$$. Raimi is guilty of being married to his story for a film he rightly earned to make after making (at the time) the two biggest comic films.

if I were a script writer and I wanted to get inspiration (i.e. rip off) because I was drafted in to write the big three I would use the following

spider-man - the spectaular spider-man cartoon
batman - the mask of the phantasm
superman - JL/JLU

the best incarnations (outside of the comics) of those characters

if I were a script writer and I wanted to get inspiration (i.e. rip off) because I was drafted in to write the big three I would use the following

superman - JL/JLU

that's always been my opinion on the subject.

superman - JL/JLU

I wouldn't base my take on a character on the take of 1 person. I am of the belief you do need to determine what you think the character is about, and you can't do that following the map of 1 take.

As a writer, I wouldn't want to do Spider-Man or Batman. Not because I hate the characters. Spidey is my favorite and Batman is in my top 5-8. I just don't have any ideas for a film series focusing on these two right now. Superman is the only one I'd want to write for (I have a lot of Superman film ideas), and while I respect the Superman/JL/JLU take immensely and is a great Superman, I wouldn't marry myself to it. In the idea for Superman I have, I'd be pulling aspects of the cartoons, Death/Return of Superman, Smallville (yes, it has some good ideas), and various comics that focus on Luthor, Brainiac, etc. I would also add a few of my own ideas, as well. When adapting a source, this is what you should be doing. Look for inspiration all around. Not marrying yourself to 1 person's take. When you do that, you polarize the fanbase because these characters have fans of all types. Some Spidey fans grew up on the 90's cartoon. Some the 60's comics. Some 70's comics. Some 80's comic. Some the terrible 90's comics. Some USM. Some Spectacular Spider-Man. Some the Raimi films. Etc. While all share certain common links, each of these is distinctly different, and not everyone is like us here on the hype and has had exposure to all these sources. Yet, you shouldn't not care about that fan. You should try and be reaching as many fans as possible, but prime focus should be honoring the characters with your take.

Not everyone appreciates black humor. I noticed you didn't include Batman returns. That movie has even more black humor than TDK.

I very much appreciate black humour. I don't recall disliking Returns. The original and Forever are just the two I watched the most as a kid, so they're freshest in my head at any given moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"