The Dark Knight Rises Nolan succeeded in making a sympathetic villain.

He was no doubt the most evil son of a **** in entire trilogy but all that to impress his little girlfriend? :wall:

Sometimes I really think that this movie would've been much better without Talia. Bane should've just escaped with his own power from hell and beat Batman as a symbol to ground. Hell he could've been just a terrorist reaping everything in his path.

He was a very evil character that shaked Gotham to its core and almost destroyed it...Then Talia appeared and we learnt that Bane loves puppies, destroys first world countries to fund third world countries and actually a very emotional man.

Ps : Yes I shed a tear for the bastard when Talia said her final goodbye to him. It was obviously such a sad moment for him couldnt even replied a single word to her.
Having addicted to a device for the rest of your life, cant even kiss the women she loved so much with such huge mask, shi*loads of pain for a deviceless sexy time...The man was doomed. Screw everything, Bane was right at everything he did. The man was a hero for resisting such a thing.

Last edited:
The Joker was sympathetic too because he firmly held Harvey's hand while talking to him in the hospital.

I am sorry, but even the most ruthless people like Bane have sympathy when it comes to a woman.

He was not giving Gogham's people hope. He was giving them false hope and teasing them so they can suffer.

Bane loved Taila, but that is it. Other than that, he is ruthless.

He was no doubt the most evil son of a **** in entire trilogy but all that to impress his little girlfriend? :wall:

Sometimes I really think that this movie would've been much better without Talia. Bane should've just escaped with his own power from hell and beat Batman as a symbol to ground. Hell he could've been just a terrorist reaping everything in his path.

He was a very evil character that shaked Gotham to its core and almost destroyed it...Then Talia appeared and we learnt that Bane loves puppies, destroys first world countries to fund third world countries and actually a very emotional man.

The Joker was quite evil and though not with brawn he ****ed with Batman's head, the death of Rachel etc.

He killed that Goon with the pencil, he killed the Batman wannabe and he had one ship blowing up potentially, he killed in random acts of violence.

Every bit as evil as Bane IMO.

The Joker was quite evil and though not with brawn he ****ed with Batman's head, the death of Rachel etc.

He killed that Goon with the pencil, he killed the Batman wannabe and he had one ship blowing up potentially, he killed in random acts of violence.

Every bit as evil as Bane IMO.

Not to mention when those on the barges called his bluff and rose above his taunt, he had every intetnion of blowing them both up anyway.

Not to mention when those on the barges called his bluff and rose above his taunt, he had every intetnion of blowing them both up anyway.

Yeah, I loved when they catch him, no DNA matches, no finger prints etc etc, he was an evil genius.

He played with Batman and called all the shots. He had Batman running round literally trying to sort the chaos he instrumented.

I don't think he was the most evil. He loved and protected Talia since she was a child. That's more humanity than Joker ever showed since he never showed any at all.

I don't think he was the most evil. He loved and protected Talia since she was a child. That's more humanity than Joker ever showed since he never showed any at all.

Yep, important distinction between them. I liked the fact that Bane wasn't just pure evil like the Joker. Both were awesome in very different ways.

Why, cause they shoehorned in some trite sob story at the end with him sobbing, even though this wasn't hinted at whatsoever throughout the movie about his character? You must watch a lot of anime...

Joker is more evil than Bane IMO. At least Bane cared for Talia. The Joker would never have protected an innocent child, so I guess Bane had some sliver of humanity in there somewhere.

Bane was probably second most evil though (or third after Talia).

The most sympathetic villain in the trilogy to me is by far Two-Face. No one else comes close.

Joker is more evil than Bane IMO. At least Bane cared for Talia. The Joker would never have protected an innocent child, so I guess Bane had some sliver of humanity in there somewhere.

The most sympathetic villain in the trilogy to me is by far Two-Face. No one else comes close.

Agree with this.

Bane isn't sympathetic in the slightest. He starts out as a wholly evil terrorist and dies an idiot with flimsy motivation.

It may be an unconventional way to think, but Bane truly doesn't exactly fit the mold of a typical superhero villain. I'm not calling the guy a hero, I'm merely stating that after seeing TDKR, he has done MANY heroic things. Sure some of them are up to debate, like:

The questionable acts of heroism:

[BLACKOUT]- Beating the unholy hell out of the goddamn batman. But in reality the guy is technically a multiple felon vigilante wanted by the authorities so it's almost like a citizens arrest.[/BLACKOUT]

[BLACKOUT]- Letting the criminals of Dr. "ScraeCrow" Crane have a slim chance of survival by walking over the ice rather than just shooting them in the head. Any chance at survival is better than none.[/BLACKOUT]

[BLACKOUT]- He killed Daggett, and that guy was a t-total sonuva ***** no matter how you slice it. That jerk-off had it coming and we all know it. The way he killed him was simply BRUTAL, but it ain't like the jerk wasn't asking for it.
[/BLACKOUT]
[BLACKOUT]- SAVED TALIA AND GOT A RESPIRATOR/SEVERE PAIN throughout his body for the rest of his life. NUFF SAID. ZERO regard for his own outcome, he knew he was going to be killed (ended up almost killed) but he saved her anyway.[/BLACKOUT]

I'm not saying "hey f**k batman lets all root for Bane", I'm just saying DAMN Nolan, you did it again, creating an ambiguous bad guy in the same vein as Ras Al Ghul.

Its just IMHO, but here was quite a bit of good behind Banes wickedness.

That was so SWEET when [BLACKOUT]Bane killed Daggett[/BLACKOUT], wasn't it?

He just [BLACKOUT]snapped his neck and then smothered him to death as he stood there paralyzed from the neck down [/BLACKOUT]F**KING RUTHLESS.

ummm, I don't agree with any of the first 3, but the Bane - Talia connection, plus him shedding a tear while she gave her victory speech humanized him for me. But as soon as he started rolling that rope around batman's neck, I started to loathe him again.

What about Ken Watanabe? the guy invented a whole freakin language, only to get crushed by falling wood. and then, he's replaced in 2 seconds by a shorter, portly dude with a shabby mustache and a knock-of jacket.

Yep, important distinction between them. I liked the fact that Bane wasn't just pure evil like the Joker. Both were awesome in very different ways.

Bane also had some semblance of a code, exemplified when he kills his own men for their weakness and doesn't kill Bruce to let him suffer (and because he wanted to die). As Alfred said, he had the power of belief in him which is the antithesis of the Joker and frightening a different way.

Bane is not sympathetic at all. What is this? Stockholm syndrome after the movie?

Nothing is heroic or sympathetic except saving the kid. He did more damage than any other villain in trilogy.

What about Ken Watanabe? the guy invented a whole freakin language, only to get crushed by falling wood. and then, he's replaced in 2 seconds by a shorter, portly dude with a shabby mustache and a knock-of jacket.

That was Urdu. Its a real language.

I can't see Bane as sympathetic, either. His actions from the second he shows up are more or less pure insanity/evil. Yes, he saved Talia from the prisoners that one time, and suffered for it, but he was also in prison for a reason to begin with...so its not like he was this innocent guy who never did anyone wrong. The only sympathetic thing he does is to save Talia...the rest of the time, he's just misguided/evil. I wish they'd given us more hints at his backstory, seen more of the child being twisted by his environment. It seems that Bane's arc was intended to be some sort of twisted "redemption" in his eyes, but they never really set up or followed through on that angle.

That was Urdu. Its a real language.

I can't see Bane as sympathetic, either. His actions from the second he shows up are more or less pure insanity/evil. Yes, he saved Talia from the prisoners that one time, and suffered for it, but he was also in prison for a reason to begin with...so its not like he was this innocent guy who never did anyone wrong. The only sympathetic thing he does is to save Talia...the rest of the time, he's just misguided/evil. I wish they'd given us more hints at his backstory, seen more of the child being twisted by his environment. It seems that Bane's arc was intended to be some sort of twisted "redemption" in his eyes, but they never really set up or followed through on that angle.

Hate to disagree with you there bud, but watch the batman begins blu-ray.
In the extras, Ken says very clearly that he made up the language he used for "ras".

Bane had sympathetic elements i.e showing some emotion later on but he was NOT a sympathetic villain. For a sympathetic villain i think you need some justification or back-story of revenge or even loss of mental control like doc okc for that to happen.

Gotham did nothing to bane to warrant .5% of what he intended to do to them. I mean his plan was up there in cruelty with the joker making the ppl try to blow up the other boat, if not on a bigger scale.

I mean building up the hopes of a city only to then destroy it, come on.

I didn't think of Bane as sympathetic at all. He was true evil.

Two-Face was the best and only sympathetic villain of this series to me.

Necessary evil. :yay: Loved that line.

But yeah, can't really see Bane as a sympathetic villain, Harvey/Two-Face fits that mold much, much better. What Nolan did with Bane at the end of TDKR is give him a human/sympathetic side, but not make him sympathetic overall. At least IMO. It was an interesting idea and I rather liked the execution, although I'm still rather undecided on the whole Talia partnership thing, even though I've seen the movie three times now.

Pulling a poor man to the top of the world and then suddenly breaking his neck at his only real glimpse towards true happiness...That is the true definition of evil for me. For Joker I can say, as he stated himself in comics too, its just mindless violence for fun. He can never kill Batman like Bane does because he needs it, he can never nuke Gotham to hell without a second thought because is addicted to Gotham and Batman. Hurting everything on the path to those are evil but still survivable.

Bane just tries to destroy everything because he thinks that everyone should suffer as he did. They stole his life away from him. That and Talia are the only thing that makes him %1 human. Without Talia's love and desire stopping him, Im sure he'd just explode the bomb in stadium to end everything.

Pulling a poor man to the top of the world and then suddenly breaking his neck at his only real glimpse towards true happiness...That is the true definition of evil for me. For Joker I can say, as he stated himself in comics too, its just mindless violence for fun. He can never kill Batman like Bane does because he needs it, he can never nuke Gotham to hell without a second thought because is addicted to Gotham and Batman. Hurting everything on the path to those are evil but still survivable.

Bane just tries to destroy everything because he thinks that everyone should suffer as he did. They stole his life away from him. That and Talia are the only thing that makes him %1 human. Without Talia's love and desire stopping him, Im sure he'd just explode the bomb in stadium to end everything.

He tried to nuke Gotham in Batman and Robin 16#

In terms of "evil" I'd say Nolan's villains would be ranked like:
Joker
Talia
Bane
Ra's
Two-Face.

Joker was essentially mephistopheles, the Devil or rather the closest thing in Nolan's world. His entire goal was proving that people were essentially as twisted and evil as he was. He kills randomly and without reason. No redeemable qualities whatsoever.

Talia was an absolute nihilist, she was damaged first by her experiences in the pit and then by her time with Ra's. Ultimately she seemed like a sociopath and was fully prepared to burn 12 million people in order to end her own miserable existence.

Bane had been presumably born and raised within the pit, and suffered unimaginable cruelties on a near daily basis. He fought and killed just to survive, and yet he proved that he still had a basic sense of humanity left when he chose to protect an innocent child. Now we can brush that off in light of his actions in Gotham but if we really look at it, this is a man who has never been shown any form of kindness in his life yet still manages to show some, even at the risk of his own survival-basically going against everything he's learnt in the pit. Now he was still brutal and cruel, that's undeniable but given all the facts I think that this is a man who was desperate to try and find reason with his life, he found it in The League of Shadows and now follows it,and Talia, to the extremes. I'd say he's a complex guy. More so than Joker and Talia.

Ra's al Ghul. Now this man was an extremist and a fanatic who's methods were absolutely deplorable yet he seemed like he genuinely wanted to make the world a better place, he, like Bruce, wanted to ensure that no one else suffered like he did. He was just too lost in his own pain to realize that the methods he used made him the very thing he was fighting.

Two-Face is THE text book tragic villain. He starts as a man who truly believes in the system and the decency of others. It's not until the Joker sinks his teeth into him and takes away all that he loves that he absolutely loses faith in all systems in all people, yet even at his very worst, he still tries to hold onto some semblance of justice, in the form of his coin. This was a good man who others failed.

Hate to disagree with you there bud, but watch the batman begins blu-ray.
In the extras, Ken says very clearly that he made up the language he used for "ras".

Game set and match.

Why would a Japanese/Chinese/Tibetan speak Urdu in Nepal ? :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"