Comics Official NEW EXILES Discussion Thread

Colossal Spoons said:
I didn't think the whole Morph/Proteus thing would bother me as he'd kepp being written the same but the whole situation just doesn't sit well w/ me. I'll always know that it's "really Proteus" and that he didn't get his ass beat like he deserved.

Ok, with the way they really haven't touched on Proteus since he possessed Morph, I'm thinking that is being left open for Claremont's run. However, lets look at how the Exlies' newest member gets put on the team. Psylocke became unhinged when she was fighting none other than the Shadow King again. How much do you want to be that Claremont is going to build up some big confrontation with Shadow King releasing Proteus' mind and then the two of them team up against the Exiles? That could be really huge. Plus, maybe then they'll finally find some way to get Proteus out of Morph's body permanently, and he'll probably be just fine since his body doesn't seem to burn out.

Proteus was already too much for the team to handle. Combine him with Shadow King and unless CC has some crazy trick up his sleeve; it's not looking good. :(

I thought that Morph (the real personality of Morph that is) was dead? I hate this possessed version of Morph, it bothers me. And he was originally one of my favorite characters :(

Specter313 said:
exiles1c.jpg

exiles11.jpg

exiles12.jpg

exiles13.jpg

exiles14.jpg

exiles15.jpg

Exiles Annual #1 will arrive in stores on Dec. 13 from Marvel Comics. The issue is written by Tony Bedard, with art and cover by Paul Pelletier.

Here's how Marvel describes the book:

"They've battled world-class threats of every kind imaginable and always won, but now the Exiles take on an unbeatable enemy: themselves! It's the original Exiles versus the current team lineup in an impossible battle that cuts to the heart of Marvel's most unpredictable series! "

Exiles Annual #1 will be 48 pages and will cost $3.99.

Is it just me that secretly hopes that the old team wins, so the series is rebooted back from the beginning again?

I kinda gave up on Exiles back when Blink returned to the team. A lot of other people i know seem to have abandoned it at pretty much the same point. The early issues tho were classic.

Ew, is it just me, or is Blink drawn really odd in that artwork?

If y'all read Excalibur then you know that the fight Claremont is building up to has NOTHING to do with the Sahdow King but with Roma and Otherworld itself. Claremont, in Excalibur 8, claims that there is a full scale war between Captain Britains all over the Multiverse, with their leader (Cap Brit 616 and Albion) stuck on Earth 616. It is obvius a trip to Otherworld is in store for the Exiles and I say, it's about effing time!!!! How long can this mutants travel from reality to reality without being at least interrogated by the Omniversal Guardian?? How can they do such damage to the Timestream or even Fixing it, without Roma's permission??? They needed to visit her a long time ago... it's obvious that's where they're headed... and I couldn't be happier about it :D

EXILES92.jpg

EXILES #92
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT
Pencils and Cover by PAUL PELLETIER
An alternate Earth’s existence hangs in the balance as Psylocke must face the brainwashed Exiles, who are now slaves of the Hand and on a deadly and destructive path. This world’s Sue Storm and Wolverine promise to make things NOT better!
32 PGS./Rated A …$2.99

sebita said:
If y'all read Excalibur then you know that the fight Claremont is building up to has NOTHING to do with the Sahdow King but with Roma and Otherworld itself. Claremont, in Excalibur 8, claims that there is a full scale war between Captain Britains all over the Multiverse, with their leader (Cap Brit 616 and Albion) stuck on Earth 616. It is obvius a trip to Otherworld is in store for the Exiles and I say, it's about effing time!!!! How long can this mutants travel from reality to reality without being at least interrogated by the Omniversal Guardian?? How can they do such damage to the Timestream or even Fixing it, without Roma's permission??? They needed to visit her a long time ago... it's obvious that's where they're headed... and I couldn't be happier about it :D

I bet the Crystal Palace was Roma's

Well, I just got done reading the Exiles Annual. It was okay, but a tad odd.

I wasn'r a huge Fan, I mean it's alternate realities and stuff so I can't queston how they were all on that Earth and stuff, Grandmaster did say he looked over many many worlds to find them.

But it seemed like a bit much.

I thought that it was gonna be Hyperion or a Rogue Bug guy or something....the Grandmaster was just....anti-Climactic, It should have been some villain we have seen before, not some villain that lost a bes cause the Exiles interfeared......I would have much rather seen an old villain come back.

That is my one beef with Exiles is that they don't really have a reacurring villain. They Had Weapon X, Hyperion and Proteus, but they are all stopped ....Maybe)

The Avengers have Kang and the others
The FF have Doom
Spidey's got the Goblin
X-men got Magneto

the Exiles have no one....I understand that the concept doesn't really make an arch villain the easiest concept.....but i would like to see one.

I like the fact that they have no reoccuring villain since every other team has one. My beef with the book is the roster. :vomit:

Does anyone mind scanning a specific Exiles issue please?

Colossal Spoons said:
I like the fact that they have no reoccuring villain since every other team has one. My beef with the book is the roster. :vomit:

It has Spidey 2099 on it...take what you said back!:cmad:

Well, I agree with Spoons (big surprise there, I tend to always agree with Spoons, if and when I come out from under my boulder). To a point, anyway. The problem with the book is the roster, and in this, the problem with the book is the writer as well.

Bedard's had some good turns with the book, and he's had some equally bad turns. Regardless, let's look at the current roster: Blink, Morph, Spidey 2099, Power Princess (ugh), Sabes, and Longshot. Am I forgetting anyone? Eh, who cares.

Blink and Morph are, clearly, fine. I can even stomach Sabes, even if he's a long call from the AoA character I loved. I can stomach the inclusion of Spidey and Longshot. Power Princess needs to go, definitely (and before her, Holocaust, and to a degree Namora - but at least she kinda grew on me). The PROBLEM, then, isn't so much that the characters of the current roster shouldn't be a part of the roster, it's that we've had almost no character development with them.

What happened to Mimic and Morph with Proteus is not character development. We barely saw any development on the part of Blink (her whole taking Mimic's body back to his reality). Blink giving up leadership to Sabes is not development. Power Princess being stupid isn't development. Longshot just getting tossed on as a luck charm isn't development. Spidey sucking up figurative air isn't development. Every issue is some variation of "holy crap, where are we? Holy crap, what have we got to do? Hold on, let me check the Tallus. HEY HEATHER, WHAT'S THE DILLY YO? Okay! Whoa, we can't do that! Sure we can. Why not? Oh, I'm gruff. I don't want to. Okay. Let's do it. We won! Woohoo!"

But, aside from minor things here and there, there's little in the way of character development, and almost nothing in the way of recurring character development.

I'm not saying Winick was sterling, and it's been a long time since I've read some of those issues. But there are countless issues where there's obvious development - the issue where Thunderbird meets his Shaman self, the issue where Thunderbird dies, the issue where they have to interfere with the Phoenix-Moon battle, blah blah blah. Heck, the random issues where we saw Weapon X had development in them. HECK, AUSTEN's run had development in it! :wow:

So, way I figure it is... It's not that the roster outright sucks. The roster could work. It's that the entire concept of a team dynamic and characterization sucks and is barely realized.

^I concur with your elaboration. I swear, we were Siamese twins in a past life haha.

Power Princess is an atrocity. Longshot has his moments but I've grown tired of Spidey. Claremont is only going to add convoluted stories along to the crappy roster and he's bringing Psylocke with him. U G H

We're really in agreement about Power Princess. But aside from her, who I think should be dropped off and forgotten she ever existed, the other characters have promise, and so much could happen with each one. Then again, I suppose a writer could just as easily come along and make me like Power Princess by establishing, oh, I dunno - an actual personality. :whatever:

What I'm afraid of with CC is... ugh. We've seen him in recent memory with female characters. And now we're going to have Blink, Psylocke, and Power Princess on the same team, and in his power. Oh, wait, I can figure this one: Marvel Girl, Psylocke, and Storm! I deserve cookies for this one, same as calling Kirkman is crap over in the Ultimate thread.

There was talk earlier about a recurring villain, too, and I couldn't put my finger on it, but now I know why I've never minded or cared. Exiles don't need recurring villains; rather, the recurring villain is each world gone awry. The entire selling point was that it was something new, but furthermore, that the issues did not necessarily deal with "Oh no, Dr. Doom has a giant mech! How can we possibly defeat him?" but with whether the team dynamic would work - that is, cooperation to accomplish a mission even if the team members may not like it - and how well each member operated under fire. That's been missing in most of the issues with Bedard. And again, it was something that even Austen, for all his supposed flaws, got right and got done. What the book has turned into lately is world-jumping with melodrama about on par with most of the other comic books. Disappointing.

Yeah. Exiles doesn't need a reoccuring villain at all. He/she would only meddle in the already difficult/interesting missions the team embarks on in each world.

So, I finally got around to reading the Annual, and then I read 89 which just came out this week.

The Annual, albeit a little strange and anti-climactic (which is something we've come to express from Bedard, of course), made me realize just how much I missed the original team. Well, not counting Magnus. I know I just posted something about how the current team doesn't necessarily suck, but I do think they're useless. The original team had powers that were useful. On this current team, we see Longshot jump one way, Spidey jump the other way, Sabretooth hit something, Power Princess hit something, and Blink and Morph do something or other. Great.

89 just mostly stunk.

Roughneck said:
I wasn'r a huge Fan, I mean it's alternate realities and stuff so I can't queston how they were all on that Earth and stuff, Grandmaster did say he looked over many many worlds to find them.

But it seemed like a bit much.

I thought that it was gonna be Hyperion or a Rogue Bug guy or something....the Grandmaster was just....anti-Climactic, It should have been some villain we have seen before, not some villain that lost a bes cause the Exiles interfeared......I would have much rather seen an old villain come back.

That is my one beef with Exiles is that they don't really have a reacurring villain. They Had Weapon X, Hyperion and Proteus, but they are all stopped ....Maybe)

The Avengers have Kang and the others
The FF have Doom
Spidey's got the Goblin
X-men got Magneto

the Exiles have no one....I understand that the concept doesn't really make an arch villain the easiest concept.....but i would like to see one.

Hyperion is their reoccuring villian, he will find a way to reenter the crystal palace.

El Bastardo said:
So, I finally got around to reading the Annual, and then I read 89 which just came out this week.

The Annual, albeit a little strange and anti-climactic (which is something we've come to express from Bedard, of course), made me realize just how much I missed the original team. Well, not counting Magnus. I know I just posted something about how the current team doesn't necessarily suck, but I do think they're useless. The original team had powers that were useful. On this current team, we see Longshot jump one way, Spidey jump the other way, Sabretooth hit something, Power Princess hit something, and Blink and Morph do something or other. Great.

89 just mostly stunk.

How did I not pick up 89?

supermarvelman said:
How did I not pick up 89?

How:
You did not lift the comic with your own fingers and add it to the stack of comics you were intending to purchase on Thursday December 28. Therefore, you did not have it when you paid for the stack of comics you were holding, and thus you did not have a cash transaction for Exiles #89. It is still sitting (or standing, if you prefer) wherever it is in your comic store, feeling lonely and shunned. Not that you missed much, anyway.

This is, of course, all assuming you do go to a comic store. If not, well, whatever. :woot:

Yes I do, but I d think my store got jipped and there getting it this week.

Well,... I just had a thought:

What if the mind control device only worked partially.

That Proteus started out half-way aware of what was going on,.. and as the missions continued he slowly regained complete control of himself,.... but loved being accepted as part of a group doing something worthwhile.

It would be a bittersweet thing,... For the first time he was in a body he wouldn't burn out running with ,............. friends who could never know he was fully proteus again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"