Superman Returns Official Rate and Review Superman Returns thread!!!

Haven't seen Pirates 2 either. I was never too interested. I enjoyed the first one. But I never could bring myself to seeing the sequel.

I Am The Knight said:
Haven't seen Pirates 2 either. I was never too interested. I enjoyed the first one. But I never could bring myself to seeing the sequel.
Same way with me..I loved the first one but I am waiting to see the sequel on DVD.

I think you guys will enjoy it, especially the last 30mins which are fantastic.

Maybe I will enjoy it but I'll forget it rather quickly if there's no emotional involvement, as I've been warned that there isn't.

POTC2 was good, sure. But there are other movies I've seen this year that I liked more. Silent Hill was pretty sweet. Monster House was quite great. Mission: Impossible 3 was fantastic. As usual, the problem with the great movies is that nobody goes to freaking see them.

Bishop2 said:
POTC2 was good, sure. But there are other movies I've seen this year that I liked more. Silent Hill was pretty sweet. Monster House was quite great. Mission: Impossible 3 was fantastic. As usual, the problem with the great movies is that nobody goes to freaking see them.
Sure. Have you seen "Thank you for smoking", "Little Miss Sunshine" or "United 93"?

Antonello Blueberry said:
Sure. Have you seen "Thank you for smoking", "Little Miss Sunshine" or "United 93"?

I haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine yet and TYFS skipped my town entirely, apparently. United 93? I wouldn't give that even half a look. I want Paul Greengrass and his miserable shakycam utterly destroyed. There are no words for my hatred of his directorial style.

I loved the film -- saw it once on opening day and saw it another time on July 4th. I really liked the new direction Singer took with the franchise and deviated a bit from the comics. Some directors who take a new direction with a beloved franchise end up destroying it (or alienating some of the fanbase), but I personally believed Singer did the right thing. It was emotional, romantic, exciting, and once the DVD comes out, it will get many repeat viewings. (I say it is on par with Spider-man 2, The Incredibles and Batman Begins as being one of the best superhero movies.) I personally that while mildly entertaining, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 is hugely overrated.

Sure, there were flaws, but they were negligible at worst, as I was just caught up in the whole film and time seemed to fly by. I wholeheartedly support a sequel.

mclay18 said:
I loved the film -- saw it once on opening day and saw it another time on July 4th. I really liked the new direction Singer took with the franchise and deviated a bit from the comics. Some directors who take a new direction with a beloved franchise end up destroying it (or alienating some of the fanbase), but I personally believed Singer did the right thing. It was emotional, romantic, exciting, and once the DVD comes out, it will get many repeat viewings. (I say it is on par with Spider-man 2, The Incredibles and Batman Begins as being one of the best superhero movies.) I personally that while mildly entertaining, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 is hugely overrated.

Sure, there were flaws, but they were negligible at worst, as I was just caught up in the whole film and time seemed to fly by. I wholeheartedly support a sequel.

Good review and i agree with all of it, i cant wait for a sequel to this movie, and having seen it 7 times, i can say it definately improves on repeat viewing, and i will be buying the DVD too, cant wait for it to come out!!!!!

2000%20-%20Spain%20-%20Madrid%20-%20Museo%20de%20Jamon%202.JPG

MY REVIEW:

I saw Superman Returns last night and I did go in with a open mind, I actually thought when all was said and done I would like it a bit more than I thought I would,wrong.

Although Superman Returns isn't a bad movie, it isn't a great movie either, or even good for that matter. It's a pretty decent movie, but I dislike and was bored by the rehashed storyline. Although a little young for a 30+year old Superman, Brandon looked good as the Man of Steel but he is hampered by having to rehash Chris Reeves performance as Clark Kent and Superman, I would have loved to see him do his own thing but I must admit I don't care for the ultra geeky interpetation of Clark Kent. Kate Bosworth is a good actress and generally does a good job, but where was that old Lois Spunk? I blame the way the character was written far more than Bosworth, who gave it her all but in the end looks way too young and pretty to play Lois Lane. I don't like Kevin Spacey, I'm going to get that out of the way right now, but I have to admit it wasn't has fault that I just plain didn't care for Luthor. He was hamstrung into playing the darker version of Lex from "Superman the movie" and it just is a boring outdated performance that doesn't work. As a matter of fact, the whole movie is like that performance. It's a darker version of Superman The Movie. And thats it, while in my opinion the first version of the movie is way too silly overrated tripe, this movie takes almost everything "real world" serious and the writers expect me to believe that Luthor would be let out of prison because Superman didn't testify? Right, because he didn't try to kill millions of people with his land grab plot which he for some reason rehashed again, even though it didn't work the first time? Also Superman is a little to whiney and mopey in this movie and doesn't really get to do much. The movie doesn't seem to be about Clark/Superman and because they gave Lois a kid no matter of the kid is his he still will seem like ahome wrecker if he gets Lois in future sequel. The first action scene was well done but it wasn't fanatsic or anything, I've seen it before. The movie had way too little action and was 20 minutes too long.

I give it a 7/10. Decent acting and the fact that it looked pretty (in that bland Alex Ross) sotra way saved it.

Edit: Bryan Singer's ultra realistic/ultra serious directing style is not right for a Superman movie, the movie should have been more light hearted and looked far more dynamic. Somebody should keep this man away from comicbook films.

Can i just ask something? You said the first action scene wasnt that good and you've seen it before. Well were the HELL have you seen an action scene like that before?

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Can i just ask something? You said the first action scene wasnt that good and you've seen it before. Well were the HELL have you seen an action scene like that before?
Superman has saved a plane plenty of times in comics and T.V shows.

a very honest review ISS.

To me at least i thought brandon was the greatest thing in the movie..and i love the personal theme written for him as supes by ottman..you hear it when he is above earth listening..

I don't even think I posted a review of the movie? Oh well.

I SEE SPIDEY said:
Superman has saved a plane plenty of times in comics and T.V shows.
But not in a movie. Besides, I thought people liked it when sequences from the comics are put into the movies.

I just hope Clark comes into his own a bit in the next one. I want at least a friendship established with Lois. I also want to see him working as a reporter and possibly being a bit of competition for Lois :) Kind of like on the 50's AOS, STAS, and L&C.

I want the TRUE Clark to come out at the Daily Planet. Enough with the disguise...IMO he can get away with being SOMEWHAT himself at the DP now just with glasses and minus the flying. LOL.

How they'd accomplish that however is beyond me...
:oldrazz:

Finally saw this movie tonight (at the dollar theatre nonetheless.) My first impressions were I enjoyed watching this film.

I should give a bit of background first. I'm a huge Batman fan and I like the X-Men more than Superman, so I'm not as critical as I might be with the aforementioned comic properties. However, I do like comics a lot and so I know a decent amount about Superman. I kept getting this vibe from people that Superman Returns wasn't good or it was disappointing. So I went into this film with pretty low expectations and seeing it so late after its opening release date had an effect too (less hype.)

Anyways, I really liked the visuals and I felt the heart of the movie was the strongest point. I can't remember when I last saw the original Superman films, so I didn't compare this one to them at all. I liked Spacey as Luther and I felt his humor was a nice touch. Plus, he still felt pretty ruthless and strong too. The length of the movie wasn't a factor for me at all. It felt like the time went pretty fast.

Of course being an artist myself I did find some CG flaws here and there, but they weren't detrimental to the film. I don't know how I feel about the whole "Superman's kid" thing yet, but it didn't make me like the movie less.

I think they did a pretty good job on this one and hopefully the future films will continue in the same vein and of course improve too.

J

lordofthenerds said:
But not in a movie. Besides, I thought people liked it when sequences from the comics are put into the movies.
But that was the only real action scene in the movie, and it set up a weird on going theme in the film where he just lifted heavier and heavier things untill finally he had to lift the heavist thing; an island. The movie seemed to not have a real climax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"