One Earth: The Marvel/DC RPG

logown.gif

Previously.

“Sweet Christmas!” Luke Cage said. “That train ride felt like it took forever.”
“I thought it was never going to end,” Tommy agreed as they stepped onto the platform.
“Like he wuz takin’ the long way around,” Scrapped added, rubbing his hand through the hair under his cap.
“That must’ve been a month in dog years,” Gabby said before launching into an enthusiastic ramble on which dogs were the best.
“Oh, give it a rest,” Bobby ended the conversation as she led Luke Cage and the newsboys through the hustle and bustle of the Metropolis train station. Cage’s mouth involuntarily dropped open as they stepped out into the main hall of the station and then into the city itself. It was sleek, it was clean. You could breathe.

“This is some city,” he said as he looked up at the Daily Globe building.
“You’ve never been here before, Mr. Cage?” Big Words asked.
The hero for hire smiled. “Kid, I’ve only ever been out of Harlem once, to visit a little not-so-deserted island.”
“Which one?” Bobby asked.
“Seagate.”
The children exchanged looks. “What for?”
“Vacation,” he replied shortly. By now, the group had gone down into a subway station, which was as state of the art as the city of Metropolis itself.
“So, where are you taking me?” Cage asked as he looked over the map with destinations. “Metrodale? Park Ridge?”
“Southside,” Tommy replied.
Cage looked to the map again, trying to locate Southside. Bobby pointed out the stop that was covered in graffiti. You could still make out ‘Southside’ if you really tried, beneath the letters that read ‘Suicide Slum’.
“Yeah, that sounds like my kinda neighbourhood.”

Last edited:
Superman.png

Focus, Clark. Got to keep him away from those kids.

Any laws of gravity and science, ironically enough, become entirely null and void as I lunge myself towards the creature at a supersonic velocity. It claws back at my face and scrambles it's way towards a retaliation, but luckily for me, he's got no idea of just how strong I really am. Ignoring the minor sting of his extraordinarily large nails digging into my skin, I manouver myself into position and grapple at his arms, locking them in place and coming to a stop behind him. He's desperate for something, alright. Whatever sort of energy that Hamilton's machine is emitting, he's finding it to be irresistable. I can barely hold him in place as we tumble through the air, guided only by my limited experience in freeform flight. The red cloak draped around my shoulders flows wildly around us, blinding the creature long enough for me to break the hold and wrap both arms around it's thick neck.

I don't even know if it understands English. But I'm going to try and reason with it anyway.

"You need to stop this! You're putting innocent people in danger!"

It isn't listening. It's eyes aren't even fixated on me as it fights my grip, reaching out in midair towards the machine. All it wants is that trail of energy that's beginning to build even brighter than before. Eventually, we collide against the rafters of the ceiling, bringing nothing but debris and shrapnel in our wake. The shockwave throws me off guard, and the creature takes full advantage. It spins out of my locked grip and tears me away, throwing me a good several feet towards the ground. Then immediately plummets aswell, realizing that it can't fly like I can.

We both crash hard in the vacated seating area that those kids left behind, causing even more unintentional damage to the auditorium. In a sensation that I've never quite felt before, my vision starts to blur, as I peer up at the fleeing crowd of staff and teenagers trying to leave the building before they're caught in the aftershock. I've never had to worry about so many people at one time, but the feeling of obligation to them is unavoidable. They're just kids. They never should have had to see this sort of thing over the course of their entire lives, nevermind at this age. They never should have even known that something like him - something like me is out there, wielding more power than they could ever dream of. I almost feel myself starting to regret that I couldn't have stopped this sooner.

Then I hear the creature growl, rising out of the small crater that it's impact left indented in the floor. And all regret leaves me at once, as I push past the dizzying effects of the fall and immediately rise into to a stance myself. It finally acknowledges my prescence, turning it's attention away from the power supply for a moment to consider what to do. A blast of concentrated red heat flows out from my eyes, bombarding it in the face and leaving a burnt marking on it's cheek. It sneers at me, and I sneer back, giving it an unspoken warning that if it tries anything, I'm willing to go for a second shot.

RPG5-12.png

"Not on your life."

What happens next is unexpected. It looks at me with a more familiar resolve, as if it's intentions have been replaced. Then I realize exactly what it's thinking, as it steps forward and readies itself.

"Power..."

It points at me.

"You... Have It..."

My eyes widen, glancing back at the crowd that's still hurring off into the distance.

"No, don't do it! The people!"

If it tries what I think that it's about to try, then alot of these people are about to be seriously hurt.

In a matter of seconds, I figure out exactly what I have to do. But I know that I'm going to regret it.

"POWER!"

It does the inevitable and dives directly at me, seeing my abilities as it's next source of sustainence. Driving the soles of my boots hard into the marble floors beneath me, I use as much strength as I can channel to launch myself into the air aswell, flying at it as fast as I can in the opposite direction. Before the creature can realize what's happened, we collide into one another. Pushing hard at it's chest, I redirect the creature's momentum towards the next wall - the wall that leads us both into the outside world.

Even if it means risking everything I've worked so hard to keep hidden from the world, I don't care.

I'm about to bring this fight into Metropolis itself.

HulkBannerBanner-1.jpg

Spending Christmas by myself at my apartment has never been my idea of a happy holiday, but it's hard to argue with the fact that I've gotten used to it. Both of my parents have passed away (good riddance to my father), and Betty and I are on yet another break, so it's not as if I'm missing out on any particular exciting and memorable experience.

I pour a glass of wine and sit down to my desk and crack open another research journal. Even my time away from the lab is spent hard at work, but I've been feeling more and more that it might be reaching its boiling point lately. The results have not been meeting expectations, no matter how much time and effort is sunk into it, and as much as Leonard encourages me to open up to him, there's really only so far I can go with that.

I... I feel like an angry, lonely child!

I instantly regret angrily hurling the wine glass across the room for fear that it might stain any of the dozens of research papers scattered throughout the study. Recoiling from my own outburst, I briefly consider calling Len and talking to him about this, but I'm sure he has better things to do tonight than listen to me whining about such a minor emotional outcry in my solitude. Hell, I have better things to do with my time as well.

Richard is sitting in last period English class. He is acting like he is paying attention but his mind goes back to what the old woman had said. Could he really be a hero? He has the power but no clue how to control it. He would also need a cause to stand up for or some sort of enemy to fight against. Once the bell rings, he rushes out and finds a secluded area to change into his outfit that came with the powers. After he changes, he attempts to fly off towards the direction he was yesterday. He struggles on staying stable because he drops, rises, banks left and right. It takes him several minutes to steady himself but he eventually does as he is almost to the bad part of the Bronx. While he is airborne, he sees the same guys who picked on him backing another kid into an alley way.

"Looks like we have this one scared out of his wits. A puddle is starting to develop around his feet."

"Yeah, look at the sweat that is starting to pour off his head."

"Guys, the liquid around his feet is getting bigger. That isn't normal for a boy. He must be one of those blasted mutants. This will go over quite well with the Roach bosses if we take this one down."

They start throwing whatever they could get their hands on. Some of the items were glass bottles, rocks, old bricks, scraps of wood, and a couple of trash can lids. A few of the items hit the boy causing him pain while other times they flew right through him splashing water droplets away from his body. The sight outraged Richard who landed hard dropping to his hands crouching to regain his balance. By the time the three boys turned around, he was standing again with his hands on his hips and elbows pointing out.

"That isn't too fair, boys. Three on one especially when the one is scared for his life. You look like a bunch of thugs who need taught a lesson."

"Look what we have here. It looks like we have a costume wanna be who thinks he can take on three members of the Roach gang."

After the three bullies turn their attention to Richard, the mutant ran by them all without slowing down. The bullies don't try to stop him which made Richard glad but also knew that he had their sole attention now. With what the boys had left in their hands, they threw it at Richard. He tried to dodge the attacks but after being hit and barely feeling the impact by a rock and glass bottle, he quickly gained confidence and approached the boys. Instead of running like he thought they would, one of them charged him with a tin can lid as a shield and a long piece of lumber as a sword. The kid swings the lumber and Richard brought up his arm to deflect it. The impact broke the lumber in half and the kid attempted to bash Nova with the trash can lid. Nova caught and crumpled the lid. The guy dropped the lid and now was scared as was his companions. This time it was one of them who had a wet pant leg and sock.

"Who are you? What are you going to do to us?"

"The name is Nova. Tell whoever you belong to that I'm here to protect the weak and clean up the streets of the scum like you."

The three guys look at each other with the one who lost his weapons still being a little scared. Then the other two rush Nova with fists swinging. Richard still being a little slow gets hit and this time he felt a little bit more pain. The third one regained his composure and started in on the fight as well. It took Richard a few moments to regain control of himself. He swung his own fists knocking back one of the guys with a loud crack sound. The guy falls down onto the ground holding his side screaming in agonizing pain. That distracts the other long enough for Richard to gently knock their heads together. Nova walks to the kid with the busted rib and tries to pick him up gently. He screams as Nova picks him up and flies towards the closest hospital. Richard finds an empty gurny and sets the boy on it hoping that the screams of pain will reach the ears of someone in the hospital. If the boy says what happen, it would put a damper on any hero career but leaving him writhering in pain would not been fair either.

batman.png

Previously

"Hello, Mister Wayne," the woman in the tight white clothing and the cape says.

Her eyes are blue, as blue as the pair I saw in my head.

"I'm Emma Frost. White Queen of the Hellfire Club. Is there anything I can do for you today?"

"Interesting...I can think of about fifteen different things I'd like to do to you, but nothing you can do for me right now."

"Well, come to the club on the weekend and you may get your wish."

She places a hand on my chest and smiles. Even now I can feel slight probes to my subconscious, testing my mind for weaknesses.

"I'm to give you the tour, if you'd follow me."

She takes my hand and leads me down the hallways of the club, past rooms with people in Victorian dress doing...un-Victorian things. We pass by the lounge where a serious looking man stands by the bear. He's dressed in a outfit similar to Shaw's, except his is green. He nods and Frost and I as we pass.

"That's Werner Vertigo, the White King. He's in a bad mood because he's Vlativian. Therefor, he's always in a bad mood."

"Well, can't say that I blame him."

Frost leads me to a bedroom in the back of the club.

"And this is my room, Mister Wayne. You're a legacy to the Hellfire Club, and I couldn't think of a better way to welcome you to our organization."

Frost leans against me and brings her lips up to mine. Her silver lipstick smears against mine as she breaks away from me and kisses my neck. I sigh, and keep my mental block up as she continues to break it with her mind.

"Why are you here?"
She whispers into my ear while her hands rub my chest.

"I believe it was you who led me here, Miss Frost."

She nibbles on my earlobe.

"No, why the Hellfire Club?"

"Because of the perks," I quip. "Speaking of perks..."

Frost suddenly steps away, and sighs.

"If that's how you want to be, Mister Wayne, fine. Werner!"

The door into the bedroom opens up and Vertigo steps in.

"He's hiding something. Bring him to his knees."

"As you wish," Vertigo says with a curt nod. He thrusts his hands forward and points them at me. I start to laugh, but I'm stopped short by the wave of sickness that overcomes me. The walls and floors begin to tilt, my knees buckle and grow weak.

"Give in to the power of Vertigo, Mister Wayne."

Stumbling through the bedroom, I force down the bile rising up in my throat and reach out for the nightstand. Frost has makeup and perfumes on a sliver platter. I turn and aim at Vertigo, fighting my own sickness to toss the platter at him. It whizzes through the air and smacks Vertigo in he head, breaking his concentration and freeing me from his grips. As the nausea fades and the world comes back to normal, I make a run for the exit of the bedroom, only to be clotheslined by a hardened arm. I hit the floor hard and look up.

"I asked you nicely,"
Frost says, her body covered in a layer of hardened diamonds. "Now you'll tell me."

She brings a diamond-covered foot down towards my head, I roll as her foot crashes through the floor of the room. While Frost is busy pulling her foot out, I pick myself up and run out the bedroom, racing down the halls of the club and looking for an exit.

Hellfire Club
Manhattan

I run through the corridors of the club as some of the members watch me run by with slack-jawed looks on their faces.

"Going somewhere, Wayne?" Shaw says as he jumps out a doorway and shoves me against the wall, pinning my shoulders against the wall. I struggle against his powerful grip. It's like being trapped in a vice. I land a punch to Shaw's ribcage and wince in pain. He laughs and tightens his grip.

"Kind of like punching a brick wall, right? Come on, hit me again. Give me your best shot."

Shaw relents for a moment, allowing me enough wiggle room to slam both hands into Shaw's ears.

"Ahhh!"

He yells in pain and stumbles backwards disoriented. I shove away from him and make a dash for the front door. I'm out the brownstone and jogging down the New York street a minute later. I pull my phone out and dial Alfred.

"Alfred, I'm down the block. Come pick me up."

"On my way."

Five minutes later, I'm in the car with Alfred headed downtown. I take off my sport coat and unbutton the vest that's over my dress shirt.

"Where to, sir?"

"Back to the hotel. The sun should be setting soon. I have a meeting I need to take."

Midtown, Manhattan

Dressed in my Batman gear, I perch on the rooftop of a highrise and look down on the city. A far off roar fills the air and grows louder and louder. Streaking out the sky, Tony lands on the roof in his Iron Man armor. His faceplate opens up as he turns to look at me.

Identified:
Anthony Stark "Iron Man"
Owner/CEO Stark Enterprises
Weaknesses: N/A. In need of further data

"Aww, don't you look cute in your little tights."

"I have an EMP discharger. I'm not afraid to use it."

"Jeez, how about you buy a sense of humor? Or has the recession hit you harder than I thought? I could always lend you the money to buy one."

"How'd it go in Tennessee?"

"Well, the Aryan Army won't be doing much terroristic stuff from now on. Hard to do that when it's nothing but rubble. The good general and I had a little chat. His little bunch of rednecks had a deal with the Hellfire Club. Apparently he used to be a member."

"He was, back when he was actually useful to them. All records of his membership were wiped from the club when he was dishonorably discharged from the army."

"How'd you know that?"

I pull a small black device from my belt and hold it up.

"I planted a bug on Shaw when I met today. Something is up about the Hellfire Club. Him and two of the other members attacked me today. They knew I was up to something. One of them was a telepath, the other two had unique abilities. I think they were mutants."

"Mutants...Did they find out that we were on to them?"

"No, but I was lucky. I've had training in how to block out probes. That's why they attacked. The telepath knew I was blocking her."

"A her, huh? Maybe when all of this is over..."

"What did Kreigkopf want your sonic weapon for?"

"He didn't know. Swore he didn't. He was just supposed to buy the gun and wait for further orders."

I nod and activate the listening device. Tony and I listen in as Shaw and Vertigo talk.

"We just got word from Tennessee. Kreigkopf and his men were attacked by Iron Man. Their headquarters and all their weapons were destroyed."

"Something is wrong here, Werner. Two nights after Batman breaks up our arms deal, Stark shows up at Kreigkopf's camp and destroys it. On top of that, Bruce Wayne comes out of the blue to our doorstep with a mind trained to ward off telepathic probes."

"Where does Wayne fit into this?"

"I'm not certain, but I have a good idea...Send word to Tessa. We're moving to our back-up plan. Call JFK and have them get my private jet ready. She's to be in Los Angeles before the sunrises here in New York."

"Very good. On my way."

Vertigo's footfalls echo as he walks out the room. I switch off the device and turn to Tony.

"How fast can you get us to LA?"

Last edited:
Captain-America-022409.png

The attacker throws a second barrage of throwing knives, but this time I'm outside of the museum and ready. I toss my shield, and it deflects the knives harmlessly away, two even end up striking the aggressor.

As he's pulling them out I rush towards him, catching my shield in the process and drive myself into him, sending him crashing off the SWAT van and through a bus on the opposite side of the street. As he regains his feet, I toss my shield at him again, striking him in the head, and rebound to me.

But he gets up again. This guy can take a beating. That much is obvious. But he's already killed too many people for me to stop now. I'm taking him down or I'm going to die trying.

The man charges me, striking precisely at me with his sword. It's almost as if he knows where I'm going to go before I go there, and within a few moments I have cuts on my arms and legs to show for it. And yet I land my fair share of hits as well. He may be able to read me like a book, but he underestimates my drive.

After I manage to sidestep on of his downward slices, I drive my boot heel into his sword, embedding it into the ground. I then drive an uppercut into his chin, raising him off the ground. He lands with a thump, but quickly regains his footing.

"Who the hell are you," I say, preparing myself for his next offensive. "And what the hell have these people done to deserve this?"

Banner.jpg

Previously

Thirty Years Ago
Asgard

The tall man dressed in all red walked through the halls of Asgard. He had bright red hair with a long scar that ran from just under his left eye all the way down to his chin. Cradled in his hands was a battle helmet with a sunburst on the forehead. He ventured into a hallway where a man and a woman practiced fighting while another man looked on.

"Thor, Loki, Lady Sif," Orion the Dog of War said as he approached the trio. "I request an audience with your father."

"Chances of that are slim, my friend,"
Thor said, wiping sweat from his face. "Not even Highfather could persuade him to recant his agreement with Apokolips."

"That was then, when the battle was a toss up. Now, though, the scales have tipped to the favor of New Genesis. All we need is the All-Father's support and only a slim amount of his forces. With those, we can beat back Darkseid and finally mount his head on a pike."

Thor let out a laugh and looked at his two companions.

"Loki, what say you?"

"Orion brings up a good point. Perhaps the change in circumstances will allow father to pledge support to Asgard's oldest ally."

"Yes, but why must me wait for his approval?" Thor asked with a smirk. "Surely the three of us would be more support than you could dream of."

"Is this the wisest course, Thor?" Sif asked cautiously. "Odin would severely punish all of us if we went against his wishes and broke his pact with Apokolips."

"I agree with Sif, brother. This is unwise and foolhardy."

"That is why I have you here, brother. You do the thinking while I do the fighting. But now is the time for the latter, not the former."

"Please, Thor, I beg you to reconsider. No matter how glorious the victory may be, it is not worth the headaches. While the allure to take Mjlonir to the battlefield is severe, no amount of glory or songs written in your honor will make up for the punishment you would endure."

All Thor heard was "glory", "victory", and "battlefield."

"Orion," Thor said turning to the New God. "Balder and the Warriors Three are away, so you will have to make due with us."

Apokolips

With Orion leading the way in his space harness, the four warriors fought through the muddy fields of Apokolips. Sif cut down a parademon with her two-handed great sword while Loki fought off an attack with his three-pronged spear. Flying above them was Thor, who flew towards a flying flock of a dozen parademon with Mjolnir. Lighting ripped through the sky as Thor crashed into the minions with his hammer. The foot soldiers of Darkseid fell to the ground, charred and smoking.

"Come on," Orion shouted to the three Asgardians. "We're almost to Darkseid's palace!"

"NO!"
A voice boomed out all around them. In a bright flash of light, Odin appeared before them.

"Orion, I have been given a message to you from Highfather. You are to return to New Genesis now. Darkseid has been defeated, there is no more need to continue this folly."

"No,"
Orion said through gritted teeth. "There is only one way this ends!"

"We know the prophecies, Orion. But today is not that day. Be a good son, heed your father's advice."

"Which one?" Orion spat.

"The only one you have. The man who raised you. Highfather. Become like him, not the monster who sits on the throne of the abominable planet."

Orion stared at Odin a long second before turning to the three Asgardians.

"Thank you for the help, my friends. I will not forget it."

Orion rose into the air and shot away in his harness. The space in front of hm opened up and he disappeared into a boom tube.

"As for the three of you," Odin said, his one eye gazing at the three of them sternly. "We will discuss it when we are home. Heimdall!"

The four disappeared from the planet in a dazzling flash of white light.

Asgard

"Do you have any idea of what you just did?" Odin asked Thor as the two stood on the Bifrost Bridge. Loki and Sif had already been sent away. "While you and your friends were tearing across Apokolips, I was negotiating a ceasefire for both sides. You nearly ruined that! Not only did you break my agreement with Darkseid, you made me look like a fool who cannot control my own son!"

"No, father, I did not help you. You do a well enough job looking like a fool on your own."

"What was that?!" Odin roared. "You dare to call me a fool?!"

"If you can think of a better word for an old man who has lost the will to fight, who would rather cut deals with the likes of Darkseid than put him down like the dog he is. If there is a better word to describe you other than fool, feel free to use it."

"There is more to king than warfare." Odin said quietly. "A king must be more committed than making peace than war. This is why you could never be king...and you will never will be."

"What? The throne is my birthright!"

"It was. You were always a headstrong boy, rash, and careless. I had hoped you would change as you got older. But my teachings fell on deaf ears. I'm sorry, my son. I have failed you. I told both Highfather and Darkseid I would punish you for this. This is the only way my promises could still have any weight to them after you made them meaningless. and this is your punishment."

With a wave of his arm, Odin suspended Thor into the air. Mjolnir clattered

"Thor Odinson, I hereby strip of you of your titles and power and cast you out to the realm of Midgard."

"What no? You can't!"

"I'm sorry. The die has been cast. Just be thankful it's Midgard."

With another wave of his arm, Thor was jerk off the Bifrost and disappeared down into the portal below the bridge. Odin reached down and picked up the magical hammer and cast an enchantment on it.

"Who ever hold this hammer, if he be worthy, shall have the power of Thor."

With a mighty toss from Odin, the hammer fell from Asgard and hurled through space towards Midgard.

Earth.

Present Day
Foster-Blake Free Clinic
Spanish Harlem

"Good morning, Mister Garcia," I say as I limp into the examination room. The elderly Latino man is sitting on the table.

"Good morning, Doctor Blake."

Juan Garcia is an 80 year old widower and Cuban expatriate. He's been through some stuff in his eight decades on this Earth. He worked fields in Cuba, fought a revolution, sailed across the ocean on a raft with his pregnant wife and two kids, found the American dream, and buried his wife four years ago when she gave in to the stomach cancer she had been battling for over five years. He's as tough as nails, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. Of all the patients I see, he is without a doubt my favorite one.

"How are we today?"

"Good. My neck is bothering me again."

Six months ago, I found out that Mr. Garcia had a ruptured disc at the top of his spine.

"Same place as before?"

"Si."

"Well, let me check it out and I'll see what I can do."

I limp over to Mr. Garcia and gently place my hands on the back of his neck.

"Hmm...yeah, I can feel it. I think it's flared up again. Alright, let me write you a prescription."

"...No, please. I cannot afford it."

"It's okay. I know this pharmacist in Midtown. He owes me a favor. He'll cut you a deal on your medicine. I'll also call up a friend of mine at Lenox Hill, he can see about getting you an MRI. I want to get your neck looked at in case it's something else."

"Thank you, Doctor Blake. I'm sorry I cannot pay."

I nod and write out a prescription, handing it to Mr. Garcia.

"Don't thank me and don't be sorry. You want to pay me back, get me some tickets to the Mets game. I thought your grandson had at New Shea."

"He walks around the park, selling hotdogs."

"Well pay me in hotdogs."

"I can do that," he says with a laugh. I follow him out the examination room and watch as he heads down the hallway.

"How's his neck?" A voice behind me asks.

I turn around and smile at the dark-haired woman in a lab coat. Dr. Jane Foster, my partner in this little experiment of ours. We worked together at Beth Israel for a few years before striking out on our own. The free clinic is a part-time job, a little act of kindness to balance out our pay clinic downtown.

"I don't know," I say with a frown. "I thought his disc was inflamed...but feeling it, it feels pretty bad. I think it may be in his vertebrae. I'll call Jeff over at Lenox Hill and have him put Mister Garcia through the MRI machine. Hopefully he'll have some results when I get back from Norway."

"Oh, Norway? Getting in touch with your roots, Don?"

"Always wanted to go. I think backpacking through the country for a week should be a good chance to recharge my batteries."

"And you're just leaving me to deal with the two clinics while you tromp through the snow. I see how it is..."

Jane elbows me in the ribs playfully and I laugh.

"Well, you were always the better doctor..."

"True, very true. But compliments aside, when do I go on vacation?"

"Tell you what, I'll let you go when I beat you in a foot race."

"Ha. Very funny."

"I thought so. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have patients to see..."

*****​

Finnmark County, Norway

The snow crunches beneath my feet as I climb up the hill. Even though it's cold, I've worked up quite a sweat. Maybe backpacking across Norway in the dead of winter with a lame leg isn't the best of ideas, but I wanted to do this. It's something I need to prove to myself. I finally come to the top of the hill, panting and sweaty. I start to limp down the hill when I hit a patch of ice.

"GAH!"

I smack down on the ice and begin to roll down the hill. I come across a patch of semi-melted ice that gives way. I fall down into the dark. My body slaps against the cold ground and I groan. I self-diagnose myself as I lay there on he ground. My ribs are bruised, but not broken, and my legs feel relatively alright. My head is okay, doesn't feel like I have any signs of concussion. Picking myself up, I look around the cold, dark cave I managed to fall in. The air inside is stale, like it's been sealed off for sometime. Looking up at the hole I fell through doesn't make me feel any better about where I am. The hole is too far up to climb through.

I limp through the dark and see a shaft of light peeking through another crack in the ice. Resting inside the cave is a wooden stick.

"A walking stick," I mutter under my breath. "How hilarious."

I made vow not to use a walking stick after my accident. I didn't need one. But with how I'm feeling, I could use one. I pick the stick up and run my fingers up and down it. Even in the dim light I can see something engraved on the stick. Their words, but I don't know what language they're in. Looks like Norwegian...but just a bit off. There's something about it. Maybe my hands are shaking, but there's a soft vibration coming from that. I swear I can hear quiet hum coming from the stick. Like...like it's calling to me.

Tap it,
a little voice says from inside my head. Tap it and be chosen.

I rap a knuckle against the stick. Feels solid. I bring the stick down on the cave floor and tap it twice.

KRAKOOOM!!!

Bright white flashes through the cave and blinds me. Suddenly....

I remember.

I remember it all.

X-MenOrigins-JeanGrey-Banner.jpg

In a flash of light the pyromaniac is gone from in front of us, and his fire dies down as he disappears. I make sure J'onn and Kitty are all right as the FBI and SWAT begins rolling into the area. But before they can get to us, the Blackbird drops out of the sky and picks us up.

"Thanks, Hank," I say to the mutant at the controls.

He smiles as we take off into the sky, "Indeed. I thought we had overstayed our welcome."

We're all in a somber mood after the debriefing. We all realize we were lured into a trap, and we all realize we went along with it just as the Brotherhood had planned. Everyone is devastated, save Logan. He just seems angry that he didn't get to tare the feral mutant apart limb from limb.

Scott immediately heads for our room after the debriefing. I'm tempted to follow him, but I know that wouldn't end well. Sometimes he just needs his time to decrompress and calm down.

Besides, I need to talk to Xavier, "Excuse me, Professor... I was wondering if I could talk to you."

"I know, Jean," he says. "I sensed the disturbance easily. Come. Let's go somewhere more private."

:spidey:

Along Came A Spider:
Part IV

Amid panicked screams and blaring alarms, we're herded down one the corridors of STAR Labs. Light headed and bleary-eyed, I have to stumble along, Gwen practically dragging me in order to keep up with everyone.

"Pete, come on!" Harry calls from up ahead, Liz clinging to his arm.

"I'm okay......I'm okay....." I keep repeating, barely able to stand. What the heck was that spider packing when he bit me?

As we round a corner, a massive wave of nausea washes over me, and I stop to dry-heave.

"Peter, we have to keep moving!" Gwen pleads before the hallway resounds with another deafening BOOM from the fight between the monster and the caped super-man.

Finally, Professor Hamilton motions to a door at the head of the group.

"Everyone, in here!" he shouts, before Flash Thompson practically shoves Sally Avril and Glory Grant through the shelter door.

My vision blurs, and the dizziness and nausea only get worse.

"Hey, Gwen?" I say as we make it inside. "You know......how I was saying I was okay?..........I might have been lying...."

"Peter, don't say that," she says, before calling for one of the scientists. "Can someone help? My friend's been poisoned!"

"Poisoned?!" Doctor Connors says before rushing over to me. "But how?!"

"He was bitten by a spider in the middle of all the chaos," she explains.

"A spider?! Seriously?!" Flash says angrily. "We're in the middle of Arma-freaking-geddon, and Puny Parker's going faint because of a bug bite?!"

While the world starts to go into bright flashes and fuzzy blotches that used to be shapes, one of the five spinning images of Doctor Connors I can see gives Flash a cold glare.

"Young man, if you're not going to say something helpful, then I think we'd all appreciate it if you'd stay quiet."

"There should be some first-aid supplies in here somewhere," Hamilton says somewhere in the increasingly indistinct world while my head starts swimming.

As my senses and thoughts slur and fade, a sudden thought shocks my system.

"Olsen!" I say with a start. "The.....the photographer.....Olsen....."

There are murmurs until I think I hear the Daily Planet photographer's voice.

"I, uh, I'm here, kid," I hear him say. "What's going on?"

With the last of my fleeting strength, I hold up the almost impossibly heavy object in my hand.

I.....got......your camera....."

.......and then everything goes black.

batman.png

Previously

Gotham Central
12:04 PM

"James, James, James," Commissioner Gillian Loeb says, clicking his tongue. "I thought we understood each other."

I'm in Loeb's office, sitting across the desk from him and trying to look over the tacky collectibles scattered on the desk.

"I understand Tork is your dog, yes? You tell him to fetch and bark, he does it."

"Tork's unit is run out of the Western District, but they operate under the MCU banner and handle major crimes, yes."

"Well, why did he ignore orders from the Deputy to move forward with charges from that gambling den raid on 123rd?"

The same gambling den where Tork arrested Councilman Dickerson's son. It made the papers last week, caused a big stir, especially with Dickerson running for reelection.

"While Tork does handle major crimes, I do allow him some autonomy. I can't watch his every move from halfway across the city. He filed papers with the District Attorney's office and had enough evidence to charge all of those involved."

"Okay, so it's your fault. Just as I thought."

Loeb clears his throat and takes a sip from the cup of water on his desk.

"I've been good to you, James, really good. I've suffered through the little independence streak you seem to have. You continue to buck authority left and right, defying your superiors. Well, no more. Thought I'd be the first to tell you that I am reassigning you."

"What? Where?!"

"To the Auto Theft unit. Major Stevenson is retiring at the end of the month, they need a new commander."

"No," I say through gritted teeth, my hands digging into the arms of the chair. "I've worked for over a year to compile evidence against the mob, I'm so close to catching them all, the bosses included."

"No doubt Lieutenant Flass will pick up where you left off..."

"With all due respect, sir, Flass wouldn't know police work if it jumped up and bit him on the ass."

"That's it," Loeb snaps. "Get out of my office right now before I bust you back down to a foot patrol so far out in the goddamn country, you'll see the Metropolis police coming at you!"

I get up and start storming out the office when a noise makes me stop short. Loeb chuckling.

"What?" I ask, turning around.

"Hehehehe. I just...Hehe. HEHEHEHE HAHAHAHAHA!"

Loeb's whole body shakes and jiggles as he laughs, tears running down his face. He begins to cough as he laughs, his body convulsing as he pushes off his desk and falls to the floor.

"Loeb!"

I rush over to him as the laughter stops. His face contorted and frozen into a sick, twisted grin. The same kind of grin as the heroin users. I quickly reach down and feel for a pulse, only to find nothing.

"I need help!" I shout. "Somebody call paramedics!"

An hour later and I'm still in Loeb's office, sitting in the corner and smoking a cigarette while Homicide takes pictures of the body.

"Jimmy," the big, burly man with bright red hair says as he walks up to him. "How ya holdin' up, boyo?" He asks in a rich Irish brogue.

Major Miles O'Hara, Homicide Commander. Born in Dublin, moved to Gotham when he was ten. He was my squad sergeant when I was bumped up to Homicide.

"It's a dead body, seen plenty of those before."

"I know, but it wasn't like he some smokehound who was gunned down in a back alley. He was the Commissioner, your boss. He died right in front of ya, lad...and the face...Truth be told, I can barely stand to look at it. Did the detectives get your statement?"

"Yeah."

O'Hara starts to walk away, but I reach out and grab his sleeve.

"Miles, do me a favor?"

"What do ya need, Jimmy?"

"Let Major Crimes take this one."

"I don't know, lad. This is bound to be big news. I need my most seasoned investigators on it."

"I worked Homicide for fifteen years."

"True, true, but you're emotionally involved. Seeing him die and all."

"He was the police commissioner. You could say every cop is emotionally involved. I have a pretty good line on who may have done it."

"I don't know..."

O'Hara stops short when his cellphone rings.

"O'Hara?....What?! Saints preserve us. Okay...bring in the second shift and start assigning them cases. Get four detectives and send them to Gotham General to find out what they all died from. Keep me updated."

O'Hara hangs up and sighs.

"Twelve bodies dropped dead. All of them cops. All of them with grins on their faces, same as Loeb."

"Still think I'm emotionally involved?"

"Now everyone is. Homicide will do most the work, but Major Crimes can work on that lead you have. You best let me know if it comes to something, Jimmy. I'm warning ya, this ain't no time to play cowboy."

I nod at O'Hara and stand up from my chair, leaving the office and getting ready to go to work.

IC: Jim Gordon

Robinson Park
1:48 PM

I walk down the jogging path, stepping aside as a woman jogs up the trail. She shouldn't be here by herself, even in the daytime. Robinson Park isn't the safest place to be in the day, but at night? It becomes a war zone filled with drug dealers, male and female prostitutes, and stick-up boys looking for prey.

I duck into the bathroom off the path and walk to the stall on the far end of the bathrom. There's graffiti spray painted all across the wall. I slide my hands across it and pull a loose brick out of its place. The brick is hollow in the center. I pop open the core and pull out a folded up paper.

Jim,

No ID on heroin poisoner aka "Joker." No matches at all. Level of skill and expertise hints at a chemistry background. Expect further tamperings to follow. Dead drop will be updated when I have more.

B

This is how you communicate and set up meeting times when your partner works outside the law. I have another way we can meet...but it's going to take some time to get it together. In the meantime, this works well.

I take Batman's note and stuff it into my pocket before I leave the stall and go back out to the jogging trail.

Gotham Central
3:10 PM

"What's the count, Soap?" I ask the sergeant inside my office.

"Twenty, sir. Sixteen cops and four suspects."

Sixteen cops and four criminals, Commissioner Loeb among them. They all died in the same way. All of them poisoned. Why them and not everyone else? What did they all get exposed to?

Soap goes to drink a cup of water and it all clicks.

"No!" I knock it from his hands, letting it spill to the ground.

"That's it. That's the only thing it can be."

"What?"

"The water coolers. They all got water from the water coolers. Go get someone to take them all down. NOW!"

Soap runs off and I follow behind him. While he goes down to get help, I go down to the holding cells in the basement. The three men that were working with Joker are sharing a cell. Known as Montana, Fancy Dan, and Ox, they call themselves the Enforcers.

"The three of you are going to tell me all you know about Joker right now."

"Or what?" Ox sneers.

"Or the three of you are being charged with forty counts of murder. Twenty of the junkies, eighteen cops, and two criminals. Forty consecutive life sentences...Now, who wants to go first?"

Captain-America-022409.png

The attacker throws a second barrage of throwing knives, but this time I'm outside of the museum and ready. I toss my shield, and it deflects the knives harmlessly away, two even end up striking the aggressor.​

As he's pulling them out I rush towards him, catching my shield in the process and drive myself into him, sending him crashing off the SWAT van and through a bus on the opposite side of the street. As he regains his feet, I toss my shield at him again, striking him in the head, and rebound to me.​

But he gets up again. This guy can take a beating. That much is obvious. But he's already killed too many people for me to stop now. I'm taking him down or I'm going to die trying.​

The man charges me, striking precisely at me with his sword. It's almost as if he knows where I'm going to go before I go there, and within a few moments I have cuts on my arms and legs to show for it. And yet I land my fair share of hits as well. He may be able to read me like a book, but he underestimates my drive.​

After I manage to sidestep on of his downward slices, I drive my boot heel into his sword, embedding it into the ground. I then drive an uppercut into his chin, raising him off the ground. He lands with a thump, but quickly regains his footing.​

"Who the hell are you," I say, preparing myself for his next offensive. "And what the hell have these people done to deserve this?"​

1168718-gorgon_01.jpg

"I am he who walks in death's footsteps." Tomi said as he charged again and lashed out with both fists and feet "Honored servant of the Beast. High Priest of the Hand."

The ferocity of his attacks was keeping Captain America on the defensive and he seemed unharmed and unfazed even when his fists impacted loudly on the Captain's red, white and blue shield.

The Captain moved to parry a blow but the Gorgon was ready and he chose that moment to execute a spinning backhand that caught the Captain on the temple.

The Gorgon quickly followed with a strong kick to the mid section, just under the defence offered by his opponent's shield. The kick staggered the Captain slightly and the Gorgon took advantage of the space provided to grab a hold of his sword hilt and pull it from the concrete it had become embedded in before shifting into a new fighting stance with two hands wrapped around the crimson blade's hilt.

"I am the Gorgon, Captain America; and it is a true pleasure to make your acquantance."

The Captain roared and came at the Gorgon hard, who took a punch to the jaw and a kick to the ribs. He rolled with the kick, spinning away from the Captain in the process

"As for the people I've killed." He said as the Grass Cutter impacted the Captain's shield once again. If he was suffering any ill effects from Captain America's attacks he wasn't showing them. "Their deaths are a gift, a liberation. No longer will they suffer through meaningless lives forced upon them by an imperfect uncaring God."

The Gorgon took a step back and slashed the street with his blade. The slash cut a gash in the concrete and showered the Captain with dust and tiny pieces of street.

"Life is God's mistake Steven. It is my pleasure and my privilege to undo it."

By now the police had organized themselves and the Gorgon could sense nearly two dozen minds training their weapons on him. He could have easily deflect the bullets with Grass Cutter, but his ninja, who had been trailing him in the darkness since he first set foot in the city, were growing restless and this was a perfect opportunity to show Captain America a small part of what it meant to oppose the Hand.

"Genzai"

At their master's command more than two dozen hand ninja emerged from the shadows and rooftops. Police, journalists and bystanders immediately began falling to their blades and Captain America was about to turn to face the new attackers when the slashing Grass Cutter demanded his attention.

"Stay focused Captain." The Gorgon said with a grin as the screams grew more desperate and the ninja spread out looking for more victims "Your fight is with me."

Last edited:
wonder_man.jpg

Waiting for my cue has always been the hardest part. I'm standing off stage listening to Jay Leno ramble on about a nobody that noone cares about and eyeing the director impatiently.

[FONT=&quot]Simon Williams is not a man you keep waiting. Not in this town at least.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It takes what feels like forever, but Jay finally introduces me and the director waives me on stage. Showtime.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Just like that my frustration and anxiety washes away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I flash my best super star grin and step into the bright lights, waving to the crowd as Jay gets up to welcome me. I walk slow, taking my time in getting to him and taking in the applause and adulation that I've earned. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jay shakes my hand and leads me to my seat and the applause continues for a few seconds more before dying down.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Wow!" he has to shout to be heard over the last of the applause "How's that for a welcome back?" [/FONT]

"Oh its not bad, not bad."

[FONT=&quot]"Not bad? I haven't had a studio audience applaud like that since Bill Clinton." He leans back in his chair and points a fat finger at me "My friend studio audiences don't get more welcoming than this."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Uh huh." I nod dismissively before turning my head to face the studio audience. [/FONT]"I think they can do better."

I flash a grin and the audience responds, proving Jay wrong and giving me what I need.

381px-House_of_M_Vol_1_2_page_5_Simon_Williams_%28Earth-58163%29.jpg

Later:

"Mr. Williams!!"

"Mr. Williams!"

"Simon!"

"Just one question!"

"Sorry guys, but its been a long few weeks and I just want to get home and enjoy some well earned R&R." I say in an overly friendly tone as my security guides me through the crowd of reporters and towards my waiting limo.

They quiet down briefly while I talk, hanging on my every word, but as soon as I finish speaking its chaos all over again with microphones and recording devices thrust in my face and a dozen questions being shouted from every direction.

"Simon is there any truth to the rumors that you're now dating Whitney Frost?"

That last question catches my attention and makes me grin as I enter the limo. Mostly because Whitney's waiting for me inside.

One of my bodyguards shuts the car door behind me and Whitney leans forward, wraps her arms around my neck and puts her weight on me so that I lean back in the leather seat with her on top of me.

"Hey handsome." she says before giving me a kiss on the lips.

"Hey yourself beautiful." I reply before returing her kiss "You see the show?"

"Of course." She grins and I'm amazed yet again by just how beatiful she is. I mean, I've had alot of women, but none with the smarts, the charisma and the looks that Whitney Frost possesses.

"Daddy caught some it too." she adds and just like that she's put a damper on my mood. "He says you looked like a con man out there."

She immediately picks up on the sour look on my face and gives me a playful shove

"Oh come on you big grump. You know he means it as a compliment."

"Yeah, yeah." I nod. Whitney thinks the world of her father and why shouldn't she? Besides being her Dad, 'Count' Lucio Nefaria is one of the most powerful business men in California and while rumors persist that he has ties to organized crime, no one's ever been able to prove anything. Not that it would matter to Whitney if they ever did.

Truth is it wouldn't matter to me either. What I care about is the fact that he doesn't like me and doesn't think I'm good enough to date his daughter. Oh he's polite enough about it, even when Whitney's not around, but it pretty clear he's just being civilized rather than showing approval.

"You're unbeleivable sometimes Mr. Williams. You know that?" She says as she puts a hand on my thigh. I had practically zoned out but she brings me back to the hear and now "I just mention my Dad and you go into a collosal funk."

I manage a half hearted smile "Ahh you know he's not my biggest fan..."

"And that's your problem. Superstar Simon Williams needs everyone to be in love with him. Everyone's got to be your biggest fan or there's something wrong with them."

Gotta admit she's hit the nail right on the head.

"Fine." I grin "You got me."

"I know I do silly." She says as she jumps into my lap "Now stop being so boring and show me how much you've missed me."

I happily comply and there is very litte conversation for the rest of the ride.​

Last edited:
"Genzai"

At their master's command more than two dozen hand ninja emerged from the shadows and rooftops. Police, journalists and bystanders immediately began falling to their blades and Captain America was about to turn to face the new attackers when the slashing Grass Cutter demanded his attention.

"Stay focused Captain." The Gorgon said with a grin as the screams grew more desperate and the ninja spread out looking for more victims "Your fight is with me."

After listening to this maniac go on and on about this Hand, Beast, and life being God's mistake, I immediately realize that this isn't going to end with a capture. This guy is going to fight till the end. Which means I'm going to as well. He isn't taking me down, and he isn't going to kill any more innocent people.

"I'm never unfocused," I say as I push off the Gorgon with my shield and go into a backflip, gaining some room between the two of us. Then I perform a risky gambit.

I toss my shield diagonally towards a building across the street and rush my opponent unprotected. His attention is focused squarely on me, which allows my shield to strike him across the face. I then drive my knee into his chin, staggering him backwards.

But my advantage is short lived, as one of his ninja allies attempts to attack me from behind. I manage to dodge his strikes, and as he raises his blade for another slice, an arrowhead emerges through his chest. I look up to see Hawkeye and the rest of my team engaged with the members of the hand, "Go get him, Cap. We'll take care of the riff-raff."

"Thanks, Hawkeye," I respond, turning back as the Gorgon slices at me with his sword. "Looks like it's just me and you now."

I manage to deflect most of his strikes with my shield, but eventually he lands a gash across my chest. It's not life-threatening, especially with my powers, but it sends a wave of pain through me, breaking my concentration for a second, allowing another slice across my thigh.

The second slice puts me into desperation mode. This man won't think twice about killing me, and I need all my wits about me to survive. He moves like lightening with another downward strike, which I evade by pushing off on my bad leg, with another spark of pain.

But I still have the time to attack, driving my shield under the Gorgon's chin with a sickening crack. I stand and fall into a defensive position, ready for the inevitable next attack.

6366396619_3cd1399208.jpg

Lex has Mercy stitch his wound recieved by Green Arrow and then goes into the hallway to find his four mercs still bound.

He shakes his head and re-enters his office.

Lex asks, "Are you feeling better?"

Mercy nods and says, "I'll survive."

Lex replies, "Good. When you're ready knock out those four rejects. Take Lexcorp one out for a test flight. Right over the island of Coasta Mirada drop them off at the Palace steps and tell his excellency he can do whatever he wants to with those four fugitives from his Governement. Stay at the villa overnight and then get back here a-s-a-p."

Mercy bows and leaves. Lex prepares himself another drink and hears Mercy beat each one of the mercs unconscious. He pauses for a moment and shrugs his shoulders.

I would've used a tranquilizer, but her way works too.

He then finishes his drink and slips a glove over his wounded hand as he sits on his couch and watches the lights of Metropolis.

Operation New Life has been dealt a serious set-back tonight no matter. I will find a way to win I always do.

6366402613_3f2c57eeb9_m.jpg

Green Arrow hears Lantern's situation and smirks.

He's gonna be busy for a while. On the bright side for him he's about to become the highest paid test pilot in the world.

Arrow arrives back at his penthouse and changes back into Oliver Queen.

He quickly takes off to Senator Layden's house. He knocks on the door and Patrick answers and says, "Oliver this is an unexpected pleasure. Come on in."

Oliver replies, "Out here."

Layden's wife Donna asks, "Patrick who is it?"

Layden replies, "It's nothing dear. Oliver Queen is bringing me some stuff from his office for me to look at."

Layden closes the door and Oliver shows his the packet. Oliver says, "Lex is out of your situation."

Layden's eyes are huge and he says, "How? Oliver you're a miracle worker!"

Oliver says, "Don't sing my praises yet, because I'm not giving this to you."

Layden asks, "Why?"

Oliver replies, "Because what you did Patrick is wrong. You're an elected official you're supposed to be above this crap! People are counting on you to do the right thing and they hold you to a higher standard! If I give this back to you then you'll get away with it free and clear."

Layden says, "Don't be so naive Ollie! No one's perfect. I made my mistakes so have you!"

Oliver replies, "Yes, but I'm not someone who's bosses are the people I've sworn to serve and to do right by you are Patrick!"

Oliver composes himself and says, "I'm holding onto this until after the vote. You get to vote your conscience once again, and I expect you to do the right thing like you said you would. After that I give you 48 hours to tell your wife otherwise she will get this information."

Layden says, "You wouldn't dare!"

Oliver replies, "Try me! Or do you think I'm bluffing?"

Layden sits on the bench and bows his head and says, "No you're not. All-right just keep it out of the media please."

Oliver says, "I'll do that for your children. 48 hours after the vote Patrick or you'll regret ever meeting me."

With that Oliver hops in his ferrari and takes off.

OOC: Previously...
Black Bolt

attilanbomb1.jpg

Black Bolt returns with Lockjaw to their home, teleporting to an area within the blue area of the moon, only to find it currently in battle with invaders of another world. Instantly the Inhuman King springs into acting, flying towards the city of Attilan and stopping all who come his way. A parademon aims to attack him from behind, but he response quicker than the fiend could have predicted, and gives it but a mere ounce of his power as he harnesses his destructive powers and punches its head clean off as he swings around.

He gives Lockjaw one stern look, and the obedient animal teleports away to check on the Royal Family. All the while Blackagar carries out the rest of his plan, now having no nearby victim he can harm...say for the small batch of the armies of Darkseid that have decided to attack his home while he was away. This time on a much greater scale as their are a few Apokoliptan space ships entering through various boom tubes. Not the mighty Dark God's full fleet of course, as this attack must once again be nudged along by the foolish son known as Kalibak, but still a threat to his home and kingdom.

He ascends, staying within the atmosphere of the moon, and takes a deep breath and channels his raw quasi-sonic powers just before letting it rip. With a whisper, he can shatter a mountain...and with an all out wide-radius scream...

bboltscream1.jpg

It would appear he can take out an entire battalion of ships.

Wasting no time at all, he flies swiftly and urgently down towards his precious city. Blackagar dispatches a few parademons trying to harm some inhuman children near the great steps of the palace. He scours the palace, finding injured, but still living, people of his kingdom all over with no sight or sound of Kalibak the Cruel. It would appear that the impatient and brash son of Apokolips had again chosen to play the coward and not face Black Bolt himself. As he makes it to the palace throne room, he opens the large doors slowly and with caution for what he might see inside.

The thought of any one of his relatives being dead from the attack worries him. He shouldn't had wasted his time seeing The Quintessence. He should have known that it would have been futile. What they would have decreed. But...would it still had prevented this? Even if not...at least he would have been here sooner.

Entering the throne room, which of course was still damaged from the first cowardly Apokoliptian attack, Blackagar would sigh a sigh of relief would it not bring forth further damage and destruction to his glorious and beloved city.

"The King! He is back!"

Karnak lowers his defenses as he sees that it was their Inhuman King that had walked through the large doors and not Kalibak himself or group of parademons barging through. And he happily embraces Black Bolt in a hug and Medusa, Gorgon, and Triton come forth as well, confusion stirs within Black Bolt's mind. There is no further damage to the palace throne room. It is almost as though--

"The siege had lasted not for too long, love. Immediately we made sure that the Terrigent Crystals were safe as well as the Council, then when we got back to the throne room it was like--"

Running into the throne room, Crystal, younger sister of Medusa, begins to weep as she stumbles to the floor. Medusa walks over to her weary sister, helping her stand up with her hair as something has overcome Crystal that could bring her to such a state.

"As Medusa said, cousin, the crystals remain safe and--"

"He took him! Kalibak himself!"

Letting go of Medusa who has been trying to do nothing but keep her calm, Crystal rushes over to Black Bolt and falls into his arms as she weeps and speaks.

"They took Ahura! Your son!"

Shocked, Black Bolt looks over at his family, who look away from their King in shame. He does not blame them, as once the family was gathered and safe it only made sense to make sure the crystals and the Council were safe. Not many give much thought to the forgotten son of Black Bolt and Medusa. Like his father, when Ahura was born, it was clear that his powers were dangerous and unstable. And so the Council decreed that he be locked away...similarly to how Black Bolt spent his childhood only much more secure and guarded. It was fear of what the son of the King could do.

And the truth of the attack is then revealed. It was all a distraction. A way for Kalibak to go to the one place that no one would expect. Outside the Royal Family and the Council, no other Inhuman even knew of Ahura's existence.

"My lord? Did...did you not hear me?"

All the while, Black Bolt has held a strong and firm posture. While Crystal has been weeping uncontrollably, Medusa instilled with great anxiety and rage, he remains calm and quiet. As always. He gives his wife one look, and for a split second, he almost falters and breaks down, but he does not. Only for that split second. Medusa covers her mouth as she thinks of what the Apokolipitans could do and will do with her little boy, and Blackagar Boltagon lets go of Crystal and slowly walks outside the palace doors.

He walks down the large steps, where now the injured are being tended to and strucken with relief as they are now safe. They know not what has transpired. None of them know of his son, so none of them know of his pain. Correction.

None shall know of his pain.

He ascends into the atmosphere of the moon, staring off into the black abyss.

Minutes pass by and he simply waits. Waits for a boom tube to open up, so that Apokoliptian ships can pass through and he can bring them to their doom. Punish them. Punish Kalibak the Cruel in any way possible by destroying more and more of his forces.

Come through, Black Bolt thinks. He yearns. His blood starts to boil, and his powers start to charge up and swell in a way they rarely do as the King of the Inhumans is forever always in control.

Come through, Blackagar pleas.

Take me instead, he wishes. Give back my son, and take me, he cries.

467729-black_bolt_cliff_rathburn01.jpg

"COME THROOOOOOOUUUUGGHHHH!!"

Come through. Simply...would you please come through?

The King is broken.

After listening to this maniac go on and on about this Hand, Beast, and life being God's mistake, I immediately realize that this isn't going to end with a capture. This guy is going to fight till the end. Which means I'm going to as well. He isn't taking me down, and he isn't going to kill any more innocent people.

"I'm never unfocused," I say as I push off the Gorgon with my shield and go into a backflip, gaining some room between the two of us. Then I perform a risky gambit.

I toss my shield diagonally towards a building across the street and rush my opponent unprotected. His attention is focused squarely on me, which allows my shield to strike him across the face. I then drive my knee into his chin, staggering him backwards.

But my advantage is short lived, as one of his ninja allies attempts to attack me from behind. I manage to dodge his strikes, and as he raises his blade for another slice, an arrowhead emerges through his chest. I look up to see Hawkeye and the rest of my team engaged with the members of the hand, "Go get him, Cap. We'll take care of the riff-raff."

"Thanks, Hawkeye," I respond, turning back as the Gorgon slices at me with his sword. "Looks like it's just me and you now."

I manage to deflect most of his strikes with my shield, but eventually he lands a gash across my chest. It's not life-threatening, especially with my powers, but it sends a wave of pain through me, breaking my concentration for a second, allowing another slice across my thigh.

The second slice puts me into desperation mode. This man won't think twice about killing me, and I need all my wits about me to survive. He moves like lightening with another downward strike, which I evade by pushing off on my bad leg, with another spark of pain.

But I still have the time to attack, driving my shield under the Gorgon's chin with a sickening crack. I stand and fall into a defensive position, ready for the inevitable next attack.

1168718-gorgon_01.jpg

"Most impressive Steven." The Gorgon said, recovering quickly from the Captain's most recent blow "But you're wrong about one thing..."

The Gorgon launched himself towards the Captain with incredible speed. Moving far faster than he had at any point in the battle thus far. Captain America impressed the Gorgon yet again by following his movements and bringing his shield around to defend himself.​

But he wasn't fast enough.​

"...I'm not going to kill you yet." he added as the Captain let out an involuntary yell of pain and dropped to one knee with an angry red gash across his back.​

The Captain fought through the pain and swung his shield, aiming for the Gorgon's head, but the Hand master weaved away from the blow with precision smoothness then jumped on top of a street bus that had been abandoned nearby when the fighting started.​

"Be thankful that allowing you to live serves my purpose for the moment Captain." He said as a pair of ninja took up positions on either side of him and brandished their weapons.​

"I leave you now in the capable hands of my clan brothers" He said as the ninja attacked the Captain, preventing him from reaching the Gorgon "I assure you they will fight to the death."

The Gorgon was then engulfed in a bright light and in an instant he was gone by means of a personal teleportation device leaving Captain America and his team occupied with a dozen hand assasins.​

Last edited:
wonder_man.jpg

The morning paper is kind of a breakfast ritual for me. Granted I don't much care for reading most of it. In fact I usually just flip to the entertainment section, but a story on today's front page catches my eye. The story is apparently part of continuing coverage of a series of bizarre industrial and tech robberies. The only reason I care is because I own one of the companies that was robbed last night.

Not that I really care. The company's got its own management team and CEO to worry about what was taken and insurance will cover the financial hit. I barely skim the article before flipping to the review of 'Man of Wonders'

I smile broadly almost immediately after I start reading. The movie's a hit as I knew it would be.

"Hey Frank." I say addressing one of my service staff as he clears the dining room table "Get a load of this: 'Simon Williams shows that he's back in full force with a stellar performance in what will surely be one of the biggest movies of the year." I say, reading out loud supposedly for his information, but really more to stoke my ego "And you were worried that the movie going public might have moved on while I was away from the scene".

He looks at me quizingly "I never said that."

"Aahh but you were thinking it m'man!" I say with a grin as I jump up and clap him on the shoulder.

"Tell Mike to get the car ready" I add without giving him a chance to reply "Ms. Frost has invited me to a party tonight and I feel like buying something new and flashy to wear for the event."

"Of course sir." He nods as I'm already walking away.

Last edited:
Banner.jpg

Previously

Present Day
Foster-Blake Free Clinic
Spanish Harlem

"Good morning, Mister Garcia," I say as I limp into the examination room. The elderly Latino man is sitting on the table.

"Good morning, Doctor Blake."

Juan Garcia is an 80 year old widower and Cuban expatriate. He's been through some stuff in his eight decades on this Earth. He worked fields in Cuba, fought a revolution, sailed across the ocean on a raft with his pregnant wife and two kids, found the American dream, and buried his wife four years ago when she gave in to the stomach cancer she had been battling for over five years. He's as tough as nails, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. Of all the patients I see, he is without a doubt my favorite one.

"How are we today?"

"Good. My neck is bothering me again."

Six months ago, I found out that Mr. Garcia had a ruptured disc at the top of his spine.

"Same place as before?"

"Si."

"Well, let me check it out and I'll see what I can do."

I limp over to Mr. Garcia and gently place my hands on the back of his neck.

"Hmm...yeah, I can feel it. I think it's flared up again. Alright, let me write you a prescription."

"...No, please. I cannot afford it."

"It's okay. I know this pharmacist in Midtown. He owes me a favor. He'll cut you a deal on your medicine. I'll also call up a friend of mine at Lenox Hill, he can see about getting you an MRI. I want to get your neck looked at in case it's something else."

"Thank you, Doctor Blake. I'm sorry I cannot pay."

I nod and write out a prescription, handing it to Mr. Garcia.

"Don't thank me and don't be sorry. You want to pay me back, get me some tickets to the Mets game. I thought your grandson had at New Shea."

"He walks around the park, selling hotdogs."

"Well pay me in hotdogs."

"I can do that," he says with a laugh. I follow him out the examination room and watch as he heads down the hallway.

"How's his neck?" A voice behind me asks.

I turn around and smile at the dark-haired woman in a lab coat. Dr. Jane Foster, my partner in this little experiment of ours. We worked together at Beth Israel for a few years before striking out on our own. The free clinic is a part-time job, a little act of kindness to balance out our pay clinic downtown.

"I don't know," I say with a frown. "I thought his disc was inflamed...but feeling it, it feels pretty bad. I think it may be in his vertebrae. I'll call Jeff over at Lenox Hill and have him put Mister Garcia through the MRI machine. Hopefully he'll have some results when I get back from Norway."

"Oh, Norway? Getting in touch with your roots, Don?"

"Always wanted to go. I think backpacking through the country for a week should be a good chance to recharge my batteries."

"And you're just leaving me to deal with the two clinics while you tromp through the snow. I see how it is..."

Jane elbows me in the ribs playfully and I laugh.

"Well, you were always the better doctor..."

"True, very true. But compliments aside, when do I go on vacation?"

"Tell you what, I'll let you go when I beat you in a foot race."

"Ha. Very funny."

"I thought so. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have patients to see..."

*****​

Finnmark County, Norway

The snow crunches beneath my feet as I climb up the hill. Even though it's cold, I've worked up quite a sweat. Maybe backpacking across Norway in the dead of winter with a lame leg isn't the best of ideas, but I wanted to do this. It's something I need to prove to myself. I finally come to the top of the hill, panting and sweaty. I start to limp down the hill when I hit a patch of ice.

"GAH!"

I smack down on the ice and begin to roll down the hill. I come across a patch of semi-melted ice that gives way. I fall down into the dark. My body slaps against the cold ground and I groan. I self-diagnose myself as I lay there on he ground. My ribs are bruised, but not broken, and my legs feel relatively alright. My head is okay, doesn't feel like I have any signs of concussion. Picking myself up, I look around the cold, dark cave I managed to fall in. The air inside is stale, like it's been sealed off for sometime. Looking up at the hole I fell through doesn't make me feel any better about where I am. The hole is too far up to climb through.

I limp through the dark and see a shaft of light peeking through another crack in the ice. Resting inside the cave is a wooden stick.

"A walking stick," I mutter under my breath. "How hilarious."

I made vow not to use a walking stick after my accident. I didn't need one. But with how I'm feeling, I could use one. I pick the stick up and run my fingers up and down it. Even in the dim light I can see something engraved on the stick. Their words, but I don't know what language they're in. Looks like Norwegian...but just a bit off. There's something about it. Maybe my hands are shaking, but there's a soft vibration coming from that. I swear I can hear quiet hum coming from the stick. Like...like it's calling to me.

Tap it,
a little voice says from inside my head. Tap it and be chosen.

I rap a knuckle against the stick. Feels solid. I bring the stick down on the cave floor and tap it twice.

KRAKOOOM!!!

Bright white flashes through the cave and blinds me. Suddenly....

I remember.

I remember it all.

Brooklyn
Now

I wake up on the floor of my apartment, my hiking gear still on and my head pounding like I've been on a two-day liquor binge.
"Ohhh," I moan as I pick myself up off the floor. I'm aching and sore all over, barely able to limp to the couch. I flop down on the couch and sigh, reaching for the remote on the couch's arm. The TV flicks on and I turn it to CNN.

"-pressed for comment, the Navy spokesman declined to comment on the identity of the figure seen in the amateur video. He would only say that the person, whoever they are, was not affiliated with the US Armed Forces."

I groan again and lean back on the couch. I feel like the floorboard of a taxi physically, but inside I couldn't feel any better.

Finnmark County, Norway
24 Hours Earlier

The entrance to the cave Donald Blake fell into crumbled as the figure shot out of the cave and flew upward into the sky. The large man had the hammer in his steel grip as the two rocketed into the stratosphere.

The mortal man Donald Blake had been replaced by his true identity, the god that he had been for thousands of years. Thirty years he had spent inside his mortal form, and now he was back.

Thor.jpg

Thor Odinson, the God of Thunder had returned.

Brooklyn
Now

I pick myself up off the couch after an hour's nap. I limp into my bedroom where, among all the clutter, is the wooden walking stick I found in Norway. I sit down on the bed and pick the stick off the floor, running my hands over its carvings. The past day has been...crazy, to say the least. All these memories, running through my head. What am I, exactly? Am I Donald Blake? Was I ever truly him, or was he just a vessel for my other self?

Off the Coast of Japan
8 Hours Earlier

Panic was beginning to strike the island nation, after another earthquake had rocked the country. Not as bad as the one earlier this year, but enough to send out the dreaded warning that a tsunami had been spotted in the ocean, heading west towards Japan.

Three miles off the coast, eighteen ships apart of the US Navy's 7th fleet were pulling up their anchors and preparing to move out. On the bridge of the USS Blue Ridge, Vice-Admiral Marcus J. Peters nervously watched as the small fleet began to move in the water. The tsunami was thirty miles out, hopefully there would be enough time for the ships to escape it.

"Incoming, sir," Lieutenant Jacobs on the bridge announced. "It's the tsunami wave. Ten miles out!"

"What?!" Peters roared. "You said it was thirty miles out!"

"They must have miscalculated, sir."

"Send word to the fleet. Kill their engines, embrace for impact," Admiral Peters said with a sigh. Peters began to pray under his breath.

"Wait," Jacobs announced. "Something else is coming in."

"What?"

"A storm..."

Peters walked across the bridge and looked down at the weather radar display. A huge storm, nearly ten miles wide and twenty miles long, was racing across the Pacific to meet the tsunami. Hurricane level winds and rains were just two miles away from their location.

Peters jumped up and looked out the windows of the bridge. Massive black clouds were forming off in the horizon. Lightning flashed and streaked across the sky, thunder boomed and the winds from the storm made the ships bounce along the choppy waves.

"Where's the wave?" Peters asked. "Why isn't it hit us yet?"

"I don't know," Jacobs said. "But...the storm...it's pushed the tsunami back."

"How?"

"I don't know, sir."

The two Naval officers looked outside the window as there was a break through the clouds.

"Admiral," Jacobs said dumfounded. "I don't-"

"I know, Lieutenant...I see it, too."

There, amongst the lightning, the rain, and the winds, a figure tore from the clouds and flew over the 7th Fleet, the storm dissipating as soon the figure departed from it. Peters and Jacobs watched the man fly over their ship, lightning crackling from his body as he flew.

wk44rc.jpg

Brooklyn
Now

My stomach rumbles, putting all other speculation to rest. Picking myself up off the bed, I head towards the kitchen. After a breakfast of cold pizza, I limp back to the bedroom and pick the stick back up.

I've been limping since that accident ten years ago. Ten years as a semi-cripple, always having to limp where ever I go. Now, I have a chance to become something else...something more.

I take the stick and limp up to the roof of my apartment building. Making sure the coast is clear, I take the stick and tap it twice on the roof.

KRAKOOM!

In a dazzling flash of lightning and wind, the Son of Odin took to the sky an disappeared off into the distance.

Asgard

124vhcj.jpg

Positioned on the edge of the Bifrost Bridge, the guardian Heimdall kept his faithful watch, his all-seeing eye gazing over all that transpired in the Nine Realms and Fourth World. He had watched the events of the last 24 hours with interest.

"My king," he quietly said, knowing that his words would find his ears. "Your son has awoken. Thor Odinson is back."

batman.png

Previously

Hellfire Club
Manhattan

I run through the corridors of the club as some of the members watch me run by with slack-jawed looks on their faces.

"Going somewhere, Wayne?" Shaw says as he jumps out a doorway and shoves me against the wall, pinning my shoulders against the wall. I struggle against his powerful grip. It's like being trapped in a vice. I land a punch to Shaw's ribcage and wince in pain. He laughs and tightens his grip.

"Kind of like punching a brick wall, right? Come on, hit me again. Give me your best shot."

Shaw relents for a moment, allowing me enough wiggle room to slam both hands into Shaw's ears.

"Ahhh!"

He yells in pain and stumbles backwards disoriented. I shove away from him and make a dash for the front door. I'm out the brownstone and jogging down the New York street a minute later. I pull my phone out and dial Alfred.

"Alfred, I'm down the block. Come pick me up."

"On my way."

Five minutes later, I'm in the car with Alfred headed downtown. I take off my sport coat and unbutton the vest that's over my dress shirt.

"Where to, sir?"

"Back to the hotel. The sun should be setting soon. I have a meeting I need to take."

Midtown, Manhattan

Dressed in my Batman gear, I perch on the rooftop of a highrise and look down on the city. A far off roar fills the air and grows louder and louder. Streaking out the sky, Tony lands on the roof in his Iron Man armor. His faceplate opens up as he turns to look at me.

Identified:
Anthony Stark "Iron Man"
Owner/CEO Stark Enterprises
Weaknesses: N/A. In need of further data

"Aww, don't you look cute in your little tights."

"I have an EMP discharger. I'm not afraid to use it."

"Jeez, how about you buy a sense of humor? Or has the recession hit you harder than I thought? I could always lend you the money to buy one."

"How'd it go in Tennessee?"

"Well, the Aryan Army won't be doing much terroristic stuff from now on. Hard to do that when it's nothing but rubble. The good general and I had a little chat. His little bunch of rednecks had a deal with the Hellfire Club. Apparently he used to be a member."

"He was, back when he was actually useful to them. All records of his membership were wiped from the club when he was dishonorably discharged from the army."

"How'd you know that?"

I pull a small black device from my belt and hold it up.

"I planted a bug on Shaw when I met today. Something is up about the Hellfire Club. Him and two of the other members attacked me today. They knew I was up to something. One of them was a telepath, the other two had unique abilities. I think they were mutants."

"Mutants...Did they find out that we were on to them?"

"No, but I was lucky. I've had training in how to block out probes. That's why they attacked. The telepath knew I was blocking her."

"A her, huh? Maybe when all of this is over..."

"What did Kreigkopf want your sonic weapon for?"

"He didn't know. Swore he didn't. He was just supposed to buy the gun and wait for further orders."

I nod and activate the listening device. Tony and I listen in as Shaw and Vertigo talk.

"We just got word from Tennessee. Kreigkopf and his men were attacked by Iron Man. Their headquarters and all their weapons were destroyed."

"Something is wrong here, Werner. Two nights after Batman breaks up our arms deal, Stark shows up at Kreigkopf's camp and destroys it. On top of that, Bruce Wayne comes out of the blue to our doorstep with a mind trained to ward off telepathic probes."

"Where does Wayne fit into this?"

"I'm not certain, but I have a good idea...Send word to Tessa. We're moving to our back-up plan. Call JFK and have them get my private jet ready. She's to be in Los Angeles before the sunrises here in New York."

"Very good. On my way."

Vertigo's footfalls echo as he walks out the room. I switch off the device and turn to Tony.

"How fast can you get us to LA?"

Los Angeles, CA
3:29 AM

Tony's private jet touches down at LAX and begins to taxi. Inside the jet, Tony has a red briefcase in his lap and I have a briefcase down by my side.

"Do we know what we're looking for yet?" Tony asks.

"Not yet. Alfred," I say into the bluetooth in my ear. "Have you found out who Tessa is?"

"I believe I have, sir."

"Let me talk to him," Tony says as he gets up and reaches for my bluetooth.

"No. You don't like Alfred."

"That's never stopped me before! C'mon, let me talk to him!"

"Stop!" I growl, grabbing Tony's wrist and using his momentum to toss hm to the floor of the plane.

"Go ahead, Alfred."

"Tessa is a listed member of the Hellfire Club. From the what I'm seeing on the computer, she acts as Shaw's right hand woman."

"Ow...I think you broke my wrist..."

"It's not broken, its just sprained. A light sprain at that. Do you know if her flight has left New York yet?"

"Yes, sir. I've pulled up the FAA radar and her flight is just passing over the Rockies now. I say, how did you beat her to LA?"

"Tony's plane is faster."

"Stark X-01, fastest private jet in the world."

"Well, according to the flight plan her pilot filed with the FAA, there are five other passengers on her flight."

"I expected some sort of escort or security force to accompany her. Keep digging into what's going on in LA that the Hellfire Club may be involved in. Find out what Shaw and his interests have been doing over the past year. Whatever he's up to, this isn't an overnight thing. He's been planning it. Tony and I are on the move."

"Very good, sir."

I disconnect the bluetooth and turn to Tony, who's sitting on the floor and rubbing his wrist. I hold my hand out and help him up on his feet.

"What did Jeeves have to say? He complain about having to dust?"

I ignore Tony's quip and grab my briefcase. Inside the case is all the equipment and gear I may need.

"Why do you even have a butler? What kind of butling does he do for you?"

"Enough," I bark out. "Tony, you're my friend and I've always liked you, but enough about Alfred. We need to focus. We have work to do."

"Master Bruce, I just found something of interest..."

"What is it?"

"Over the past two years, Shaw has been buying diamond mining companies and the mining rights to countries all over the world through shell companies. The odd thing is that he hasn't bought any in Africa. I was under the impression that African countries produced the largest amount of diamonds..."

Alfred's voice fades away and something from a few weeks ago comes back to me. An investment opportunity Lucius told me about....African diamonds...Suddenly, it clicks.

"Alfred. I know what it is..."

I turn to Tony and grab him by the shoulders.

"I've got it! I need to take your jet back to New York."

"We just got here..."

"I know, which is why I need you to stay out here and stop Shaw's plan. I'm going back to New York to take the fight to him."

"So you know what he's up to?"

"Yes. You need to put a stop to it. Here's the plan, listen very carefully..."

IC: WINTER SOLDIER

Something's wrong.

For the first time in my life, with an enemy between my sights, I can't pull the trigger. His name is Gavril Ivanovich, better known as Rocket Red. For the past hour Ivanovich has chased me across the rooftops of Moscow, attempting to sear my very being from the face of the Earth.

He thinks I murdered his Prime Minister.

He's right.

Now, laying broken and beaten before me, I can't do what he would have so easily have done to me.

A well-timed EMP had taken him out of the sky and my robotic arm had taken care of the rest, tearing the suit open like a can of tuna.

I holster my Luger and prop his crumpled and bleeding body up against a wall. He's alive, but at this rate he'll bleed out within half an hour. Drifting in and out of consciousness he looks at me, confused, before gathering up enough effort to spit in my face.

"<Murderer...>" he mutters with malice.

I wipe the blood from my face and retrieve a cell phone from my satchel. I tap in a few buttons and place the phone next to my ear as I kick some snow over the ledge of the rooftop and watch it tumble down to the sidewalk below.

"<That favour you owe me? I'm calling it in. I've got a friend in desperate need of medical help. I'll send you the location.>"

I flip the phone shut and place it back inside my satchel as I glance across Moscow's skyline.

I take one last look at Gavril Ivanovich; his archaic armour, covered in blood, and emblazoned in the hammer and sickle. A man out of his time, as I am. A relic of an age long since passed. He nods at me, as if to acknowledge our kinship despite his personal dislike of me, and I disappear off into the snow.

There is work still to be done.

As Jordan continues to keep watch on the streets, something flies over the city with fire and smoke trailing it. He then sees fire trucks and police cars drive by along with a police helicopter fly by trying to see where the UFO lands. Expecting a huge explosion with a bright flash, Jordan flies up a bit higher to watch where it lands. To his surprise, all he heard was a loud thud with some metal being smashed with the object landing in the city garbage dump. Dust and small debris flies up from the landing. Then what looks like a green energy field surrounds the craft as the police and fire trucks arrive.

"Good to hear that things went smoothly, GA. You won't have to worry about the police bothering you. A space craft just landed outside of the city in the city dump. If anything, you have as much of a clean exit as one could ever expect. I'm going to investigate unless you really want me to join you in your next location. Another option is that you can come and play hero with me and investigate this object before too many people get their eyes where it may cause them trouble. You shouldn't be poking your head but space is sort of my realm and my bosses be upset if I ignored this craft."

Not really waiting on Arrow's response, Jordan flies towards the landed craft. He notices that the police and fire department have already surrounded the craft. Jordan lands next to the ranking police officer.

"Excuse me officer, do you have any idea what that thing is?"

"I don't know, it just landed a few minutes ago. We haven't heard anything threatening come from it. A rookie was brave or crazy enough to walk up to the force field. He touched it and no harm came to him but a strange message about not enough will power came from the ship."

The commanding officer then turns to Jordan and jumps back.

"Who in tarn heels are you? Wait, I think I remember hearing over the radio of someone like you helping stop some bank robbers over the radio."

"The name is Green Lantern. I'm a visiting hero to this city. I usually reside in Coast City but looking for a new place to call home. You said something about will power and the ship."

The police officer recomposes himself a little bit more as Jordan introduced himself and asked about the message again.

"Yeah, Green Lantern, it mention something about not enough will power, whatever that meant. The only other strange thing is that it seemed to be absorbing some of the materials around. People reported it as possibly burning on the way down with smoke."

"I saw the same thing and that is why I came to investigate. Since it hasn't shown to be hostile, have you tried to contact it"

"This isn't usually my area of expertise. Our hostage negoiator is coming to talk to it. We have also alerted NASA so they probably be here shortly."

"Hostage negoiator? I would be surprised there is anyone in there that it has kidnapped, at any humans that we know about. I'm not sure if NASA would have been the best to contact either. Let me see about this, ok?"

"Um...sure it will be a few minutes before anyone else will get here besides the gockers."

Jordan starts walking towards the force field. The energy almost looks exactly like he uses. As he walks, a green beam shoots out of the top of the ship and hits Jordan. Showing no fear, he stands there letting the beam scan him. He then hears guns load and readied to fire. Hal then turns around.

"Put the guns down. I am coming to no harm. I think it is just looking me over. Do not aggravate this circumstance."

Jordan then turns back around. The beam latches on to his green ring.

"Great will power and lack of fear detected. You may enter ring bearer of the emerald light."

A hole a couple inches taller and wider then Jordan opens in front of him. He walks towards it and enters the dome. The hole quickly closes behind him.

Jordan walks up towards the alien craft. As he approaches it, he sees a very familiar symbol on what looks like a door. It is the symbol that is on his chest and the ring. This puzzles him but he knows very little about the Corps since he only been a member for a year at most. Maybe this is a ship they use but the Guardians would have notified him that they were sending a ship to him. However, this idea still didn't make sense because he has yet to see any such ships on Oa and all of the GLs use their ring to fly. So the big question is who sent this ship that has his Corps' symbol on it. There is only one way to find out and that is to see who is home. Hal floats up to the symbol and puts his ring hand on it. The door immediately opens up. He then enters the ship expecting something but not really sure what. There was no welcoming committee even though he is certain that whoever is on board knows he is there. His shield is up and ready for anything on the inside but trying to remain calm on the outside. Inside of the ship was mostly a white but had seven lines going all over it in what looks like random patterns. Jordan recognized the colors as the same ones in the rainbow including what he thinks is indigo. He never really paid that close attention to the rainbows unless he was flying and saw one. The colors seem to jump from one line to the next but whenever the green was close to his ring, it seemed to brighten up.

"Hello, anyone flying this thing? What do you want with me?"

A holographic green arrow shows up a few feet in front of him pointing down the hallway. Not know what else to do, he decides to follow it. The arrow guides him around the corridors and up a set of stairs to what he figures is the bridge. There he sees a robed figure who turns around. Before him stands a very beautiful woman who has four arms, a smooth tail, blocky ears and possible translucent skin. The green pigment seems to be almost moving underneath her skin as if it was a liquid.

"Welcome, wearer of the green light. I have urgent business with you. My ship is almost fixed thanks to the supplies that this patch of land has provided. They aren't the best quality but will work just as well. It does surprise me that so many operational things are mixed in with what appears to be dysfuntional items. This is a very peculiar planet from my scans when I entered the atmosphere."

"Yeah, we have a tendency to toss out perfectly good pieces of equipment or people just because we bought the newest thing. We, as Americans, can be very wasteful. So what business you have for me? By the way, prefer to be called Green Lantern if that helps."

A series of beeps ring out in the bridge and the ship shakes a little.

"Ah good, the ship is fully repaired and refueled. The wonders of energy converters and multi-fuel adapters. You mgiht want to take a seat over there."

"Will the take off harm the police and fire departments that are around this ship?"

"I've got no intentions of harming anyone. A green field will be around the blast zone to make sure only the ground and possibly surrounding debris will be affected.

Jordan takes the indicated chair as the alien takes the center chair. He now sees part of the officers and the green shield through what looks like a window. The green shield starts coming towards the ship as he feels it slowly take off. The alien kept her word as the only thing affected from the lift off was whatever was inside the green shield which created a good size hole in the ground. Once they were several hundred feet above the ground, the remaining green energy came back into the ship. He notices that right after the energy entered the ship, the woman sighed relief and looked brighter then a few moments ago. Once they were out of Earth's atmosphere, the alien gets out of her chair and indicates to Jordan to follow her.

"Green Lantern, my name is Hezolya. I'm one of seven left of my race. We are Priests of the Light. We can tap into the Emotional Spectrum similar to your Guardians of Oa but in a different way."

"Emotional what? You lost me there lady. How do you know about the Guardians?"

"The Emotional Spectrum is seven lights that represent seven emotions or motivations. The center, green which is will power, isn't really an emotion but the balance of them all. Your Guardians believe it is the complete removal or ignoring of emotions which had cost them once already. You will be amazed at the history your Guardians have and to my surprise they almost treat it with disdain due to their arrogance. This is why I needed to find one of your light bearers so you will know the truth. The truth will be revealed once we reach our destination."

"What destination is that? Why did you glow as the energy from the force field re-enter the ship?"

"The Temple of Light, of course. As for my sudden radiance, my race can directly tap into the light of their choosing but in doing so they are permanently bonded to it and it becomes their life force. We were chosen to keep up the Temple of Light and watch over the seven entities that rested their. Ion, the green entity, recently woke up and left its resting sancutary. I wouldn't be too surprised that it heads directly towards Oa to enter the main green energy chamber. This was fortold long ago in the Book of Light with a warning that soon the other Lights would reawaken as well. The Reawakening is proper and good but a concern among my people is that the Lights will come into conflict again and history will repeat itself. This is what we want to avoid. If the Lights can co-exist, then the universe will be truly blessed. If not, then the universe will be at a very dire state once again.

"OK, right now you are sharing more information then the Guardians usually do but still in the same cryptic way. I've only been a Green Lantern for about a year so not totally used to how they go about things. The Guardians never said of any other races being able to tap into the Green light like they can. As far as I knew, only the ones with the green ring or one of the Guardians could tap into it. What other colors are there? Are these other six entities part of the colors? Will anything happen to the Central Power Battery when this Ion enters it?"

"My race can tap into the Emotional Spectrum but nothing like the Oans since they were granted control over it. I can use it to partially power this ship but as you can imagine with the Light being my life force, I have to be very careful. It would surprise me that Ion would intentionally harm anyone on Oa or would destroy the main green energy chamber on purpose. If anything, Ion is very laid back and gentle as your race would understand. If I could see an example of this chamber so I know for certain that it would be able to hold Ion, it would help me explain things."

Jordan looks at the alien and hesitates about summoning his battery from subspace. He then remembers that it has been a while since he charged up and if this little adventure proves to be either a trap or dangerous, it would be better to be on a full charge. Could he trust this alien to not somehow steal his battery especially since if the alien is correct it would basically be a huge banquet for her? He then decides to bring it out. If the alien tries anything, he could escape the ship and seriously damage it. It didn't look like it had any weapons. Then he realized that if the alien wanted the energy, she could have tried to take his ring and suck it dry. Jordan turns a little to his side as the green battery appears. Hezolya's eyes light up as she sees the battery appears. She then begins to glow and have an expression of ultimate joy all over her body. Jordan recites the oath before anything could happen.

"In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power...Green Lantern's Light."
After the ring is charged, Jordan puts the battery back. He then turns his attention back to a very much glowing Hezolya.

"That...that was exhilerating. I've never been so close to an concentrated source of the green energy. I'm not sure if I ever felt this alive or young. If your main green energy chamber is of same or similiar shape but bigger, it should easily hold Ion and its vast amount of power."

Jordan takes a few steps back and looks at her funny. The glow is a little bright and she does look younger and even more beautiful once you get past the extra set of arms.

"Yeah, the Central Power Battery is probably hundred fold bigger then mine and about the same shape even though I don't think it has the handle. It would have to be someone pretty big to hold it like I was holding mine."

"Good to hear. Ion will have plenty of room then to float around and enjoy being around a concentrated amount of the green energy of will power. It is very possible that the Guardians will notice Ion in the battery even if they don't see it go in."

"So what will be the signs of these other lights showing up? What emotions are tied to them? What other colors are they?"

"You probably could guess the colors since you seen them along the pathis in the walls of this ship. The emotions are rage, avarice, fear, will power, hope, compassion, and love. Their respective colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. That is the Emotional Spectrum. As for any signs of the other six showing up, it is uncertain except that colors of all seven will be flying through the cosmos. My brothers and sisters don't know what forms the lights will take but most likely they will follow the pattern of the Oans and be rings of some sort."

"Twenty dead cops.....twenty dead ****in' cops......" Sal Maroni groaned to himself. He had no love for the GCPD, of course, but a body-count like that was going to come back to haunt him. When that many police officers die--one of them the Commissioner himself--it wasn't simple cops and robbers anymore, but an outright declaration of war. "You said you were gonna help me get rid of this ****ing looney-toon that's been shooting up my businesses, and instead you bring a goddamn war on us?!"

"Heh, you can question my methods," said the Joker, on his knees before Maroni with two of the Boss's henchmen aiming shotguns at his head, "but you can't question the results. Well, heh, I guess you can at the moment, but this is still the setup!"

"Well, you'd better have a really ****ing good punchline, clown," Sal sneered, "or I'm gonna be very upset."

"Oh, my punchlines are the best, Sal," the Joker said. "But if you think I'm giving away the gag now, then you're crazy! Well, maybe I'm crazy, heh, but I'm still not going to tell. Timing is everything, y'know."

One of Maroni's thugs chambered a slug in his shotgun, ready to blast the clown's skull clean off.

"Talk," Maroni growled, his patience long gone, "or die."

The sickly pale man rolled his eyes.

"Fine, but I'll only tell it to you directly," he said with resignation.

Just as the two henchmen lowered their shotguns, the Joker leaped to his feet, snatching the chambered shotgun out of the hands of the first thug and pulling the trigger. The noise from the blast was deafening in such a small room, as the lead slug punched through the gangster's chest, gibbets of gore and shredded organs exploding out of the gaping exit wound in his back.

Before the first henchman could respond, the Joker spun and slammed the butt of the shotgun into his nose, pushing the cartilage up into the man's brain. The man shuddered violently for a moment, blood pouring from his nostrils, then fell dead to the floor.

"Now that it's just you and me," the Joker said, his smile growing as Maroni fumed impotently, "I guess I can tell you a little bit about the gag. I'm here because you wanted this vigilante of yours out of the way, right?"

Maroni nodded frantically.

"Well since we don't know where he is or how to find him, the obvious solution is to bring him to us!" he said, as if it were the simplest thing in the world. "The city's in uproar, everyone wants the cop-killer brought in and strung up, and then it just happens to be let out that the butcher of Gotham Central is working for one Salvatore Maroni--say, from an anonymous tip that I called in before you and your boys dragged me here."

The Boss looked at the Joker with shock and horror.

"The police will start organizing a raid to take you in, but our friend the gunslinger will be sure to beat them to the punch," the Joker explained. "He comes looking for you, but surprise! All he gets is a dose of me."

"Right....right...." Maroni said, trying to muster as much bravado as he could, "So what about the goddamn army of cops coming down on me?!"

"Well, I'd say you should get on the phone with your travel agent," the clown grinned. "I hear the Bahamas are really nice this time of year!"

"You....you ****ing bastard," Maroni sputtered. "You're running me outta town?!"

"Well hey, at least I'm taking care of that vigilante like I said, right? HAAAAHAHAHAHA!"

Still giggling to himself, the Joker turned his back on Maroni and made his way to the door.

"You're dead, clown, you hear me?!" Maroni shouted after him. "You're ****ing dead!"

"Comedy never dies, Sal," the Joker said, turning back to Maroni with a wink. "But you might, if you don't catch the next plane out of Gotham before our friend gets here. And don't worry--I'll take good care of your empire while you're away."

The Joker laughed again, shutting the door behind the Boss as he left. It wouldn't be long before the vigilante came for Maroni. Once he was dead and Sal was disposed of, the Clown Prince of Crime would have a pretty little throne to sit on.

First things first, though; there was still a gun-toting crusader out there who was in desperate need of cheering up.

Last edited:
batman.png

Previously

Robinson Park
1:48 PM

I walk down the jogging path, stepping aside as a woman jogs up the trail. She shouldn't be here by herself, even in the daytime. Robinson Park isn't the safest place to be in the day, but at night? It becomes a war zone filled with drug dealers, male and female prostitutes, and stick-up boys looking for prey.

I duck into the bathroom off the path and walk to the stall on the far end of the bathrom. There's graffiti spray painted all across the wall. I slide my hands across it and pull a loose brick out of its place. The brick is hollow in the center. I pop open the core and pull out a folded up paper.

Jim,

No ID on heroin poisoner aka "Joker." No matches at all. Level of skill and expertise hints at a chemistry background. Expect further tamperings to follow. Dead drop will be updated when I have more.

B

This is how you communicate and set up meeting times when your partner works outside the law. I have another way we can meet...but it's going to take some time to get it together. In the meantime, this works well.

I take Batman's note and stuff it into my pocket before I leave the stall and go back out to the jogging trail.

Gotham Central
3:10 PM

"What's the count, Soap?" I ask the sergeant inside my office.

"Twenty, sir. Sixteen cops and four suspects."

Sixteen cops and four criminals, Commissioner Loeb among them. They all died in the same way. All of them poisoned. Why them and not everyone else? What did they all get exposed to?

Soap goes to drink a cup of water and it all clicks.

"No!" I knock it from his hands, letting it spill to the ground.

"That's it. That's the only thing it can be."

"What?"

"The water coolers. They all got water from the water coolers. Go get someone to take them all down. NOW!"

Soap runs off and I follow behind him. While he goes down to get help, I go down to the holding cells in the basement. The three men that were working with Joker are sharing a cell. Known as Montana, Fancy Dan, and Ox, they call themselves the Enforcers.

"The three of you are going to tell me all you know about Joker right now."

"Or what?" Ox sneers.

"Or the three of you are being charged with forty counts of murder. Twenty of the junkies, eighteen cops, and two criminals. Forty consecutive life sentences...Now, who wants to go first?"

Gotham Central
7:25 PM

I check my watch and then look up at the dozen or so cops crowded inside the MCU squadroom and chatting amongst themselves.

"Alright, listen up." I shout. The room goes quiet and I nod.

"We received an anonymous tip that the poisoner responsible for contaminating the water coolers is being harbored by the Maroni family. This is being corroborated by the accounts of the three men who worked with the tamperer to poison the city's drug supply."

I begin to walk around the room, handing out sheets of paper.

"At nine o'clock, Major Crimes, Homicide, and SWAT will carry out raids on known Maroni family safehouses and fronts. These are the addresses and the assignments. The raids are being split up into two different sections. The two Homicide shifts will team up with two of the SWAT units and raid half the places on the list. The other half will be taken by the two MCU shifts and the other two SWAT units. All the assignments are on the paper you all have. Any questions?"

Nobody makes a comment or raises their hands.

"Good. Now, I know this police department has something of a leakage problem. Not a word of this makes its way to Maroni. If it does...I promise you that if I will find out who did it, and I will make you pay...Soap, Tork and his unit are riding with me and Major O'Hara. We're headed to Maroni's key safehouse on Templeton. There's a little over an hour and a half before we move out. Get ready and get focused. Dismissed."

They all scurry around and start to get ready. I turn back to my office and shut the door.

The East End
7:28 PM

He worked in silence, reassembling the Desert Eagle in his hands. He reattached the slide back on to the chassis and slammed the magazine home. It took him two minutes flat to disassemble and reassemble the weapon. He could do it blindfolded, hanging upside down, in the mud, in the rain, and even in the midst of combat. He liked stripping the weapon and rebuilding it, it reminded him of how he had been stripped down and built back up.

Try as he like, he still couldn't get their screams out of his head. He could still see Frank Jr.'s face, frozen in fear and covered in blood. He could hear his wife begging for mercy, the rapid fire of two machine pistols. He could still feel the warm splash of blood on his face, the blood of his daughter. He could still remember hearing the laugh of the man in the courtroom as he had been acquitted of the crime Frank and his family had witnessed.

He didn't know much about the two men until right before he had killed them, when they told him that they were there that day in the park under orders from Salvatore Maroni. The two men had taken all he had cared about from him, but their boss was to blame.

He looked up from his gun as the cellphone on his workbench vibrated. He picked it up and looked at the text message.

Raid at 9 p.m.,
Maroni's safehouse
708 Templeton

He put the phone to the side and went about to work, gathering up his tools and stuffing them into a duffel bag. He grabbed an assault rifle and put his jacket on. Deep down, in what used to be his heart, he knew that killing Maroni wouldn't make him feel better or give him any kind of closure. Closure was a myth. Something people came up with to make them feel better about their lives. He was no longer interested in lives or the living. Death, the deceased, the soon to be deceased, and war were all he cared about now.

25issns.jpg

If there was one thing Frank Castle was an expert on, it was war.

Richard is sitting at the kitchen table trying to do his homework. His mom was kind enough not to ask where he been since he got home a whole lot later then he expected even with the excuse of staying late at school for help on a few things. It wouldn't been the first time he stayed after school but it felt wrong lying to his mother since he instead played around with his new powers. The idea of helping a boy, who was a mutant, get out of a situation he was way too used to was a good feeling though. If those bullies were apart of a gang like their clothings suggested, then there might be something he can do to break it up. Gangs were never a good thing as his parents kept reminding him when he was young and even now from time to time. All of these stray thoughts kept him from focusing on his homework which he admittedly is having troubles with. If he expects to get out of the junior year, it might be time to find a tutor or set up a weekly meeting with his math teacher to go over things. Trig was simply kicking his tail in which was odd since both his parents were very good in math. How they were able to take calculus in college is beyond his understanding? He again looks at the numbers but all they do is swim in front of him. Then he heard on the TV news about a mutant attack in Washington, DC which really got his attention. The kid in the alley was the first mutant he saw but the rumors of mutants being around and even possibly in school were common. Richard gave up on his Trig homework and went to the living room to watch the news.

"Hey Mom, can you turn it up? I'm curious what these people have to say about things."

She turns it up and shakes her head after the report is done.

"This is why the mutants need to be registered. They are almost as bad as guns. Those powers of theirs can do all sorts of damage if they aren't careful."

The comment caught Richard off guard. It isn't like his mother to be so judgmental of other people. She never been racist or sexist or any of the other discriminate types. There been times where she surprised him by pointing out very attractive Black and Asian women to him. Both parents would be ok if he dated another race so why would these mutants bother her? He fully understands the concept of uncontroled powers since he is still learning his own. A part of him wishes that there was somewhere or someone who could teach him.

"Well Mom, look at it this way, like gun owners, maybe all they need is proper training in their powers. I'm not sure if the government is willing to do that. I think it is discrimination for the government to have a select people to register just because they are different. It would just be like them having the Asian-American or some other ethnic group register just because they are non-white. Until the mutants do something wrong, let them be."

"I still don't know, Rich, people with their kind of power is rather scary. It might be bad if they had training but might be better for some way that their powers be neutralized so they wouldn't hurt themselves or anyone else."

"So you are saying, to contiue using the gun analogy, that you would want to put a safety device on the mutants? Again this screams discrimination which this country has long fought hard against since your teenage days. "

"Yes, but normal humans can't do much without any weapons of their own. Taking away their powers will be like taking away a gun or knife from a bully. Then you can hopefully convince the bully that violence isn't the best way to solve things."

Richard realzing that his mother won't be able to be convinced otherwise, heads back to the kitchen and opens his Trig book once again with hopes of it making since this time around. Sadly and expectedly, it still confused him but he tried to work on it for the next couple of hours until time for supper.
Richard is sitting at the kitchen table trying to do his homework. His mom was kind enough not to ask where he been since he got home a whole lot later then he expected even with the excuse of staying late at school for help on a few things. It wouldn't been the first time he stayed after school but it felt wrong lying to his mother since he instead played around with his new powers. The idea of helping a boy, who was a mutant, get out of a situation he was way too used to was a good feeling though. If those bullies were apart of a gang like their clothings suggested, then there might be something he can do to break it up. Gangs were never a good thing as his parents kept reminding him when he was young and even now from time to time. All of these stray thoughts kept him from focusing on his homework which he admittedly is having troubles with. If he expects to get out of the junior year, it might be time to find a tutor or set up a weekly meeting with his math teacher to go over things. Trig was simply kicking his tail in which was odd since both his parents were very good in math. How they were able to take calculus in college is beyond his understanding? He again looks at the numbers but all they do is swim in front of him. Then he heard on the TV news about a mutant attack in Washington, DC which really got his attention. The kid in the alley was the first mutant he saw but the rumors of mutants being around and even possibly in school were common. Richard gave up on his Trig homework and went to the living room to watch the news.

"Hey Mom, can you turn it up? I'm curious what these people have to say about things."

She turns it up and shakes her head after the report is done.

"This is why the mutants need to be registered. They are almost as bad as guns. Those powers of theirs can do all sorts of damage if they aren't careful."

The comment caught Richard off guard. It isn't like his mother to be so judgmental of other people. She never been racist or sexist or any of the other discriminate types. There been times where she surprised him by pointing out very attractive Black and Asian women to him. Both parents would be ok if he dated another race so why would these mutants bother her? He fully understands the concept of uncontroled powers since he is still learning his own. A part of him wishes that there was somewhere or someone who could teach him.

"Well Mom, look at it this way, like gun owners, maybe all they need is proper training in their powers. I'm not sure if the government is willing to do that. I think it is discrimination for the government to have a select people to register just because they are different. It would just be like them having the Asian-American or some other ethnic group register just because they are non-white. Until the mutants do something wrong, let them be."

"I still don't know, Rich, people with their kind of power is rather scary. It might be bad if they had training but might be better for some way that their powers be neutralized so they wouldn't hurt themselves or anyone else."

"So you are saying, to contiue using the gun analogy, that you would want to put a safety device on the mutants? Again this screams discrimination which this country has long fought hard against since your teenage days. "

"Yes, but normal humans can't do much without any weapons of their own. Taking away their powers will be like taking away a gun or knife from a bully. Then you can hopefully convince the bully that violence isn't the best way to solve things."

Richard realzing that his mother won't be able to be convinced otherwise, heads back to the kitchen and opens his Trig book once again with hopes of it making since this time around. Sadly and expectedly, it still confused him but he tried to work on it for the next couple of hours until time for supper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"