Original Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy on DVD: 9/12 to 12/31

The Lumberjack

Superhero
Reaction score
Lucasfilm has announced that this September fans can look forward to the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic "Star Wars" trilogy!

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy "Star Wars" as it first appeared in 1977, "Empire" in 1980, and "Jedi" in 1983.

See the title crawl to "Star Wars" before it was known as "Episode IV"; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. The international release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

Hellz yeah.:cool::up:

Cool, I suppose. I bought the other one so im not going to give any more of my money to Lucas.

If I have the cash I'm gonna get it.Luckily I do not have any other starwars films.

I knew this would come some day, so I waited. Plus it comes with both the original AND special editions.

it's

about

damn

time

mother****er

PRESERVING HISTORY > "Special" editions

I gotta get this. Of course I'm already gonna be broke with all the superman DVD's coming later this year.

There now everyone can stop complaining about Lucas "raping" their childhoods...although I gotta admit, I saw this coming...

Sweet. I'll probably get it. I'd actually like to have the Special Edition version on DVD because there wasn't any replacing of old Anakin at the end of ROTJ with Hayden or anything stupid like that. The only thing that was added in those is some special effects which I think actually helped the movies for the most part. But the original theatrical version of the trilogy is the next best thing.

im so glad i didn't buy the first dvd release. i'll be proud to put these on my shelf.

AWESOME

This will be a must buy

After years & years of Fan Stuff

They finally arrive

I'm glad I held out. I didn't particularly care for all the extra stuff.

Damn, I'm gonna spend a lot of money on DVDs the last few months of the year.

The fans beat George Lucas once again.

It's that old saying, the customer is always right.

Guess what George? We are the customers. And Star Wars isn't just yours anymore.

Nice. The only reason I bought the trilogy DVD already was because I got it for $9 bucks.

It's a month after April Fools.

But if it's true, **** yes. This is all I wanted. The ability to choose which version to watch, like Spielberg did with ET

Sweet, now I can totally forget that the prequels ever happened!

TheVileOne said:

It's that old saying, the customer is always right.

Guess what George? We are the customers. And Star Wars isn't just yours anymore.

and you believe this wasnt the plan from the start?

This is one time I'm actually glad Lucas is a lying bastard. :)

I may buy three. :o

Ill actually wait and see. see what the extras are, ect (i would be amazed, btw, if it doesnt have the episode IV crawl,)
I already have a laserdisc rip on DVD that i bought from ebay, so its not an overriding priority. tho to have them on official discs would be nice.

I wonder when Lucas will release Star Wars: The puppet edition?

TheVileOne said:

I think its the other way around...you really think Lucas didn't have this planned?

He played most fans for suckers when he released the 2004 DVDs while proclaiming that you will NEVER see the OT again thus convincing a majority of people to cave and purchase the newer editions...then 2 years later here we are with the release of the OT on DVD...its all about the money and its Lucas who has beaten the fans--once again.

LostSon88 said:
I think its the other way around...you really think Lucas didn't have this planned?

He played most fans for suckers when he released the 2004 DVDs while proclaiming that you will NEVER see the OT again thus convincing a majority of people to cave and purchase the newer editions...then 2 years later here we are with the release of the OT on DVD...its all about the money and its Lucas who has beaten the fans--once again.

^Exactly.Then he will release the saga set next summer for the 30th anniversary making us pay again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"