Part III (Spoiler Thread)

As other users have pointed out, he knows that Darth Vader's name refers to his former apprentice. And without getting into the debate of whether Obi-Wan still uses the Force or not, that Darth Vader is "just" the number two in the Empire, an entity that rules most of the galaxy. He has to know that, even on a lost planet like Tatooine. I mean, we're not talking about some random farmer but Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi war hero who witnessed the fall of the Republic firsthand. That's impossible information for a character like that to ignore.
I think this would've worked better if they didn't have the Inquisitors are known and hanging around there. Then I think it could be finagled that the backwater planet doesn't have a ton of outside communication, beyond general knowledge of the empire out doing bad things and such.

Yeah, I also have trouble with this idea that Obi Wan didn't knew that Anakin had survived...

As other users have pointed out, he knows that Darth Vader's name refers to his former apprentice. And without getting into the debate of whether Obi-Wan still uses the Force or not, that Darth Vader is "just" the number two in the Empire, an entity that rules most of the galaxy. He has to know that, even on a lost planet like Tatooine. I mean, we're not talking about some random farmer but Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi war hero who witnessed the fall of the Republic firsthand. That's impossible information for a character like that to ignore.
The sense i've gotten is that Obi-Wan was so traumatized that he not only isolated himself from the Force, but from the world around him. I see him as having such a tunnel vision he's only focused on Luke and that same routine he created for himself that we saw on this show, day after day after day. It doesnt seem impossible to me that he doesnt "keep up with the news" so to speak hehe. Anyways, that's just my take on it.

I understand the narrative conundrum. The moment Obi-Wan realizes Anakin is alive is a dramatic moment you want to see if you're telling an in between story.

Technically it probably makes better in-universe sense that he'd have heard by now, but it makes more dramatic sense for him to find out through the course of this story. There's nothing to contradict the idea that maybe he had heard about Vader but been in denial that it could've possibly been Anakin.

Star Wars canon has never been air tight though. There are tons of logic gaps and holes to poke in it and there always have been. It's still not even clear to me if it's widely known that The Emperor and Vader are Sith lords or what a Sith even is. Making "Darth Vader" a public figure would be a strange choice if they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that the galaxy is being run by two Sith lords. Is it known that the Emperor is also called Darth Sidious? Can NOBODY in the whole galaxy figure out that "Darth" is literally derived from Dark lord of the sith?

Just sayin'. In the prequels, the "Darth" names like Tyrannous and Sidious were secret identities that only people who knew of the Sith would know them by. So at what point does does Palpatine say, "You don't need a stage name Lord Vader, yours just has too gOoOoOod of a ring to it, I really think it'll stick with the kids!"

You can try to make sense of all that, but it will require some effort no matter what.

‘Obi-Wan Kenobi:’ Writer Joby Harold Answers Burning Questions

That brings us to Episode Three and obviously the emergence of Vader. We get Vader and Obi-Wan face to face. But the sequence where Vader is walking down the street slaying innocent bystanders has people saying this is the scariest Vader has ever been.

It was a thousand percent the intention. From a Vader point of view, we're all living with the memory of the end of Rogue One, and how effective that was. It was very gratifying to see Vader finally be unleashed in a sequence like that, so we wanted to try to trump it if we could. It was a lot more extreme, at one point.

Really? Tell me more…

I got pulled back a little bit on that.

Disney being Disney. :wall: Star Wars Acolyte is going to be some vanilla Sith.

But, with all this, I think, logically, the Organas would be labeled as accomplices to a traitor and terrrorist and, at best, be under immense scrutiny, if not outright punishment.

Again, this is overlooking the Senate issue. The whole reason why Palpatine doesn't do stuff like this, is because Palpatine doesn't have the power to just ignore or eliminate the Senate. Declaring a particular Senator as an "Enemy of the Empire" would make the Senate an outright enemy of his, and he *can't* run the Empire without them, not yet. And yes, he could accuse Bail of being a Senator who is engaging in corrupt and treasonous activity. Here's the thing: the Senate as a whole is composed of corrupt and entitled individuals, by and large. They aren't going to care about the "corrupt and treasonous" part of that accusation, they are going to care about the "Senator" part. The Empire stomping on Senator Organa today foretells of the Empire stomping on Senator Me tomorrow, and that won't do.

If this sounds like an insane and unworkable system, well, yes. It was indeed, both in Star Wars and in the late Roman Republic from which Lucas drew inspiration. Its still the situation that Palpatine has to deal with, and evil psychopathic wizard he might be, he still needed twenty years of consolidation and a planetkilling superweapon before he believed abolishing the Senate was possible without immediately crippling the Empire. Which is better timing than historically- the Roman Senate didn't lose the last of its power until Diocletian, more than 300 years after the founding of the Empire.

Reactions: Bim
Again, this is overlooking the Senate issue. The whole reason why Palpatine doesn't do stuff like this, is because Palpatine doesn't have the power to just ignore or eliminate the Senate. Declaring a particular Senator as an "Enemy of the Empire" would make the Senate an outright enemy of his, and he *can't* run the Empire without them, not yet. And yes, he could accuse Bail of being a Senator who is engaging in corrupt and treasonous activity. Here's the thing: the Senate as a whole is composed of corrupt and entitled individuals, by and large. They aren't going to care about the "corrupt and treasonous" part of that accusation, they are going to care about the "Senator" part.
To my memory, in the movies or this show, nothing suggests the senate would care that Bail or anyone being labeled an accomplice to a traitor and terrorist is a real problem for them. I feel like this is making allowances for the, to me, flaws of it's storytelling. It certainly doesn't mean that Palpatine either wouldn't want them thoroughly spied on or even discreetly assassinated, just by the nature of the situation, with the information that they're potentially traitors. I don't see them having the ability to develop a rebellion under this situation.

Again, this is overlooking the Senate issue. The whole reason why Palpatine doesn't do stuff like this, is because Palpatine doesn't have the power to just ignore or eliminate the Senate. Declaring a particular Senator as an "Enemy of the Empire" would make the Senate an outright enemy of his, and he *can't* run the Empire without them, not yet. And yes, he could accuse Bail of being a Senator who is engaging in corrupt and treasonous activity. Here's the thing: the Senate as a whole is composed of corrupt and entitled individuals, by and large. They aren't going to care about the "corrupt and treasonous" part of that accusation, they are going to care about the "Senator" part. The Empire stomping on Senator Organa today foretells of the Empire stomping on Senator Me tomorrow, and that won't do.

If this sounds like an insane and unworkable system, well, yes. It was indeed, both in Star Wars and in the late Roman Republic from which Lucas drew inspiration. Its still the situation that Palpatine has to deal with, and evil psychopathic wizard he might be, he still needed twenty years of consolidation and a planetkilling superweapon before he believed abolishing the Senate was possible without immediately crippling the Empire. Which is better timing than historically- the Roman Senate didn't lose the last of its power until Diocletian, more than 300 years after the founding of the Empire.

I don't think Palpatine is necessarily bound by the Senate. Its just that the Senate is how he controls the various worlds. He is unable to enact the Tarkin Doctrine until the Death Star is complete.

Star Wars canon has never been air tight though. There are tons of logic gaps and holes to poke in it and there always have been. It's still not even clear to me if it's widely known that The Emperor and Vader are Sith lords or what a Sith even is. Making "Darth Vader" a public figure would be a strange choice if they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that the galaxy is being run by two Sith lords. Is it known that the Emperor is also called Darth Sidious?

IIRC, its a fairly well-established part of Star Wars lore that the general public were in the dark about Sheev being a Sith. In fact, pretty much the entire Imperial leadership (including Tarkin) didn't know (with the obvious exception of Vader).

As far as your average Imperial is considered, the Emperor is just a frail, creepy old man who needs a cane to walk.

IIRC, its a fairly well-established part of Star Wars lore that the general public were in the dark about Sheev being a Sith. In fact, pretty much the entire Imperial leadership (including Tarkin) didn't know (with the obvious exception of Vader).

As far as your average Imperial is considered, the Emperor is just a frail, creepy old man who needs a cane to walk.

Yeah, in the canon book Lords of the Sith, Sidious "befriends" a female child and acts grandfatherly towards her the entire book. She guides and helps them. Then when Sidious and Vader are attacked by enemies Sidious is forced to use lightning to save himself. The child sees him do this. So Sidious and Vader kill the little girl and her entire village to cover up that Sidious is force sensitive.

Its all part of his propaganda that he was helpless against the Jedi and that their "magic" was evil.

Can I kindly request the first gif (helmet sliding down) re-sized for an avvy?

Thank you!

s8ytvd3.gif

I don't think Palpatine is necessarily bound by the Senate. Its just that the Senate is how he controls the various worlds. He is unable to enact the Tarkin Doctrine until the Death Star is complete.

It is spelled out in the boardroom scene in ANH. He needs to put up the appearance of a functional Senate in order to keep star systems from rebelling. With the Death Star, he no longer needs to worry about that as he can just use fear of destruction to keep them in line. This is also why Tarkin blows up Alderaan. It is proof that they can and will destroy key planets that aren't 100% on board with the Empire.

Not calling out Sithborg, but it is funny how much SW fans (or any IP fans) don't know the in-depth notions of the world online lately. While using their non-knowledge as reasons to express distaste on other, usually newer aspects, aspects of said IP.

It's pretty bad on Twitter and Reddit these past few years.

Last edited:
I saw someone online suggest that maybe it was James Earl Jones’s voice, from fresh recordings or from the OT Star Wars films, put through a synthesized algorithmic program to give a base for how the voice should sound, but it’s Hayden Christianson‘s delivery for the pitch and rhythm. That would actually make a lot of sense. There are definitely certain lines from this episode that kind of feel like Hayden’s vocal cadence.

They could be on to something!

How one company’s controversial cloning technique is changing Star Wars forever

As first revealed in a behind-the-scenes special, Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian, the voice of Luke Skywalker — in both The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett — was “de-aged” using Respeecher’s technology. Magazines like Esquire and other media outlets suggested that young Luke’s voice was “completely synthesized.” But that interpretation isn’t entirely accurate. Respeecher didn’t just input a bunch of audio files into an A.I. and then have it spit out a de-aged Luke voice. It needed Mark Hamill.

“Professional voice input is extremely important,” Serdiuk explains.

“We don’t actually have any control over performance. That’s something that our technology doesn’t do. It doesn’t create a performance.”

Serdiuk uses a hypothetical dream project — having an A.I. Freddie Mercury perform live — as another example.

“Training the technology to make another singer sing in a particular voice is something our technology can already do. We can recreate the vocal apparatus of a particular person in a particular moment of their life,” Serdiuk explains.

“But the second part is still on humans. The whole performance. Speaking style. Inflections. All those tiny things that make our speech,” he adds. And it is not foolproof.

“[The technology] has problems with whispers. We don’t currently have control of that with our system.”

In general, there are two approaches to synthesize a voice,” Serduik explains.

“The one the most well known and would be text to speech like an Alexa speaker or Siri. What we do obviously isn’t like that. We can’t synthesize a performance. That means that someone should be saying the lines that are needed to be converted into a target voice.”

Here’s how it works: Mark Hamill (or another actor) delivers a basic vocal performance, encouraged by directors and all actors involved. Then, Respeecher gets to work, using the performance as its baseline.

For Luke Skywalker, countless sources were used to recreate a younger Mark Hamill voice. In this case, Respeecher aimed for Mark Hamill circa 1983. Even though Luke only says a few lines in both Mando and The Book of Boba Fett, Serdiuk explains that to teach their A.I. how to talk like Young Luke, they needed hours and hours of audio from that period to train the machine.

“When you work with data that was created almost 40 years ago, at the end of the day, you need to mix it in the modern production and make it sound like it was recorded yesterday,” he explains.

Intriguingly, Respeecher is listed in the credits of Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 3 (the first appearance of Darth Vader in that series) Serdiuk can’t confirm how much work he and his team did on de-aging the voice of James Earl Jones.

“I can’t say yes or no on James Earl Jones,” Serdiuk says.

There are, he says, “lots of secrets still with Obi-Wan Kenobi. But we were uploading data packets [for Obi-Wan Kenobi] to Skywalker Sound when the invasion began.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"