1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Part III (Spoiler Thread)

Discussion in 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' started by DarthSkywalker, Jun 1, 2022.

1. fan4stic Registered

I think this would've worked better if they didn't have the Inquisitors are known and hanging around there. Then I think it could be finagled that the backwater planet doesn't have a ton of outside communication, beyond general knowledge of the empire out doing bad things and such.

2. Bim Registered

The sense i've gotten is that Obi-Wan was so traumatized that he not only isolated himself from the Force, but from the world around him. I see him as having such a tunnel vision he's only focused on Luke and that same routine he created for himself that we saw on this show, day after day after day. It doesnt seem impossible to me that he doesnt "keep up with the news" so to speak hehe. Anyways, that's just my take on it.

3. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I understand the narrative conundrum. The moment Obi-Wan realizes Anakin is alive is a dramatic moment you want to see if you're telling an in between story.

Technically it probably makes better in-universe sense that he'd have heard by now, but it makes more dramatic sense for him to find out through the course of this story. There's nothing to contradict the idea that maybe he had heard about Vader but been in denial that it could've possibly been Anakin.

Star Wars canon has never been air tight though. There are tons of logic gaps and holes to poke in it and there always have been. It's still not even clear to me if it's widely known that The Emperor and Vader are Sith lords or what a Sith even is. Making "Darth Vader" a public figure would be a strange choice if they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that the galaxy is being run by two Sith lords. Is it known that the Emperor is also called Darth Sidious? Can NOBODY in the whole galaxy figure out that "Darth" is literally derived from Dark lord of the sith?

Just sayin'. In the prequels, the "Darth" names like Tyrannous and Sidious were secret identities that only people who knew of the Sith would know them by. So at what point does does Palpatine say, "You don't need a stage name Lord Vader, yours just has too gOoOoOod of a ring to it, I really think it'll stick with the kids!"

You can try to make sense of all that, but it will require some effort no matter what.

4. Marvolo Registered

‘Obi-Wan Kenobi:’ Writer Joby Harold Answers Burning Questions

That brings us to Episode Three and obviously the emergence of Vader. We get Vader and Obi-Wan face to face. But the sequence where Vader is walking down the street slaying innocent bystanders has people saying this is the scariest Vader has ever been.

It was a thousand percent the intention. From a Vader point of view, we're all living with the memory of the end of Rogue One, and how effective that was. It was very gratifying to see Vader finally be unleashed in a sequence like that, so we wanted to try to trump it if we could. It was a lot more extreme, at one point.

Really? Tell me more…

I got pulled back a little bit on that.

Disney being Disney. :wall: Star Wars Acolyte is going to be some vanilla Sith.

5. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Again, this is overlooking the Senate issue. The whole reason why Palpatine doesn't do stuff like this, is because Palpatine doesn't have the power to just ignore or eliminate the Senate. Declaring a particular Senator as an "Enemy of the Empire" would make the Senate an outright enemy of his, and he *can't* run the Empire without them, not yet. And yes, he could accuse Bail of being a Senator who is engaging in corrupt and treasonous activity. Here's the thing: the Senate as a whole is composed of corrupt and entitled individuals, by and large. They aren't going to care about the "corrupt and treasonous" part of that accusation, they are going to care about the "Senator" part. The Empire stomping on Senator Organa today foretells of the Empire stomping on Senator Me tomorrow, and that won't do.

If this sounds like an insane and unworkable system, well, yes. It was indeed, both in Star Wars and in the late Roman Republic from which Lucas drew inspiration. Its still the situation that Palpatine has to deal with, and evil psychopathic wizard he might be, he still needed twenty years of consolidation and a planetkilling superweapon before he believed abolishing the Senate was possible without immediately crippling the Empire. Which is better timing than historically- the Roman Senate didn't lose the last of its power until Diocletian, more than 300 years after the founding of the Empire.

Bim likes this.
  6. fan4stic Registered

To my memory, in the movies or this show, nothing suggests the senate would care that Bail or anyone being labeled an accomplice to a traitor and terrorist is a real problem for them. I feel like this is making allowances for the, to me, flaws of it's storytelling. It certainly doesn't mean that Palpatine either wouldn't want them thoroughly spied on or even discreetly assassinated, just by the nature of the situation, with the information that they're potentially traitors. I don't see them having the ability to develop a rebellion under this situation.

7. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I don't think Palpatine is necessarily bound by the Senate. Its just that the Senate is how he controls the various worlds. He is unable to enact the Tarkin Doctrine until the Death Star is complete.

Bim and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  8. Fosterson Registered

IIRC, its a fairly well-established part of Star Wars lore that the general public were in the dark about Sheev being a Sith. In fact, pretty much the entire Imperial leadership (including Tarkin) didn't know (with the obvious exception of Vader).

As far as your average Imperial is considered, the Emperor is just a frail, creepy old man who needs a cane to walk.

9. Marvolo Registered

Yeah, in the canon book Lords of the Sith, Sidious "befriends" a female child and acts grandfatherly towards her the entire book. She guides and helps them. Then when Sidious and Vader are attacked by enemies Sidious is forced to use lightning to save himself. The child sees him do this. So Sidious and Vader kill the little girl and her entire village to cover up that Sidious is force sensitive.

Its all part of his propaganda that he was helpless against the Jedi and that their "magic" was evil.

Fosterson likes this.
  10. Filmfan93 The Man in Black

Can I kindly request the first gif (helmet sliding down) re-sized for an avvy?

Thank you!

11. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER

[​IMG]

Bim and Filmfan93 like this.
  12. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

It is spelled out in the boardroom scene in ANH. He needs to put up the appearance of a functional Senate in order to keep star systems from rebelling. With the Death Star, he no longer needs to worry about that as he can just use fear of destruction to keep them in line. This is also why Tarkin blows up Alderaan. It is proof that they can and will destroy key planets that aren't 100% on board with the Empire.

metaphysician, Bim and antsman41 like this.
  13. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

Not calling out Sithborg, but it is funny how much SW fans (or any IP fans) don't know the in-depth notions of the world online lately. While using their non-knowledge as reasons to express distaste on other, usually newer aspects, aspects of said IP.

It's pretty bad on Twitter and Reddit these past few years.

#388 antsman41, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  14. Pennywise Registered

They could be on to something!

How one company’s controversial cloning technique is changing Star Wars forever

#389 Pennywise, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022