Part IV (Spoiler Thread)

You guys complaining about bad writing of the episodes…did the prequels had good writing?
It’s a StarWars tradition.

I think the only reason to have these bodies at varying ages and multiple alien races is for research. I don't think they are just for display because a child would not be something to boast one's reputation of greatness. If this was full of Jedi Masters and Jedi Knights then maybe it is for display. But I still think it is bodies they use for research. Maybe the decay or growth of medichlorians over a life span.

Reactions: Bim
You guys complaining about bad writing of the episodes…did the prequels had good writing?
It’s a StarWars tradition.
Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean you don't call it out for what it is. It's not a crime to expect better. Just because it's Star Wars, it's Ewan, it's Hayden, young Leia etc it shouldn't get a pass just because it pulls on the nostalgia strings. Majority of the writing is awful. There's real potential here for sure but the writing is pants.

This shot made me laugh. The stunt coordinator should ask the director why she chose this bad angle. It makes their work look bad. Reva's legs wouldn't read so much if the camera angle wasn't on her side. Maybe from Vader's POV or just a 3/4 side perspective and you wouldn't see how she sits in the harness. Heck you could even have used her cape to hide the legs, maybe it gets stuck in a boot or something.
Hell, I would have put the camera over her shoulder and raise it along with her. The best shot of this sequence was showing Vader looming over her.

I thought Reva was great in this episode. I don't get the hate. I think she adds a lot of dimension to what could feel like another generic Imperial villain. She's honestly more interesting to me than say...Moff Gideon. No shade to Giancarlo, but I feel like there's a bit more meat on the bone there.

An underwater fortress was just a fun location. Seeing Obi-Wan use the underwater breathing device again was a nice little Episode I flashback. Seeing Obi-Wan actually lay out some Stormtroopers for the first time was strangely satisfying.

The episode overall was a bit filler, but fun. Noticed a lot more Williams in the score this time which also helped make it feel very Star Wars-y.

I thought Reva was great in this episode. I don't get the hate. I think she adds a lot of dimension to what could feel like another generic Imperial villain. She's honestly more interesting to me than say...Moff Gideon. No shade to Giancarlo, but I feel like there's a bit more meat on the bone there.

An underwater fortress was just a fun location. Seeing Obi-Wan use the underwater breathing device again was a nice little Episode I flashback. Seeing Obi-Wan actually lay out some Stormtroopers for the first time was strangely satisfying.

The episode overall was a bit filler, but fun. Noticed a lot more Williams in the score this time which also helped make it feel very Star Wars-y.
What's the meat, the dimensions? Star Wars is the home of all time villains. Whether it's British imperialist pomp, the living embodiment of anger, a young upstart trying to usurp, or the ultimate chess player. What's she doing to stand out? Because honestly, she just seems like a much worse version of Second Sister, who apparently has the exact same background, but at least the very least showed an emotion outside of annoyance.

Now, I don't blame the actress entirely. I don't find her good, but the writing also isn't helping.

Also how does one have filler in a 6 part series, especially when it's suppose to be the big rescue episode? Not sure how to say that reflects well.

What's the meat, the dimensions? Star Wars is the home of all time villains. Whether it's British imperialist pomp, the living embodiment of anger, a young upstart trying to usurp, or the ultimate chess player. What's she doing to stand out? Because honestly, she just seems like a much worse version of Second Sister, who apparently has the exact same background, but at least the very least showed an emotion outside of annoyance.

Now, I don't blame the actress entirely. I don't find her good, but the writing also isn't helping.

Also how does one have filler in a 6 part series, especially when it's suppose to be the big rescue episode? Not sure how to say that reflects well.

Honestly, I don't have a good answer haha. I just think it's a different feel for a Star Wars villain that feels kind of fresh. There's a seething anger mixed with ambition behind her, and you can understand the source of the anger. In her mind the Jedi failed her in a very direct way and she's bitter about it. I don't read it as just annoyance, I think having a chip on her shoulder is just who she is and I can get behind that. That said, that's fine if it feels one-note or doesn't work for everyone. I also haven't finished Fallen Order (don't shoot, I played a few hours of it and it was awesome, but I have lost my patience for video games these days :oldrazz:), so I admittedly wasn't thinking about other comparable characters who may have pulled off the same idea but better.

I've heard rumors that there's going to be a second season, so I'm taking that into account somewhat here too.

Ultimately, I do think the show is trending more towards the medicore side. I do wish it was firing on all cylinders week after week, considering how hyped the return of Obi-Wan has been and ultimately I do think that maybe this would've benefitted from staying as a movie rather than stretched out into a series.

That said, I'm still having fun with it. Thought the episode was a breeze to watch and ultimately Ewan and getting to see Darth freakin' Vader on my TV is mainly what's keeping me invested.

Reva is kinda like Anakin in episode 2, arrogant, angry for no reason and not in control of her temper

Frankly I thought she was really bad in this episode. Now you probably don't get cast in Star Wars by being terrible so I'm just going to assume this was a miscast situation.

The actor playing Tala though...I need more of her :hrt:

Moses Ingram is playing the part given her well. Object to them making the Inquisitors cartoon villains, as they have always been.

My only issue is that I wanted a bit more background in this episode. They have to get to Third Sister's backstory before the finale.

Its made worse by her seeming to be a retread of Trilla's story. Thats what irks me. We've been down this road with the Inquisitors. And if she is going to turn why wouldn't Vader see it coming? He saw what happened to Trilla five years before. He should be reading Reva like a book. See her doubt. Her weakness.

Speaking of Tala, that fight scene she had with those two Stormtroopers looked awful :dry: It's almost like an outtake.
Yeah that was very bad. Did you see the speeder shooting at Reva from 10 ft away and missing? Not to mention her just casually deflecting the shots. No concentration or focus or anything. Like it was no big deal. With choreography like that aren't you looking forward to the rematch of the century?

I enjoyed some parts of the episode, but that ending was a disaster. The most secure location in the Empire not detecting two ramshackle fighters, EVEN AFTER THEY'RE IN VISUAL RANGE? Reva effortlessly deflecting heavy-canon fire that now apparently carries no force? O'Shea Jackson Jr. not realizing that only one fighter came back? Them acting like we were supposed to care about these people after truncating their episode-length development down to under five minutes? :facepalm:

Moses Ingram is playing the part given her well. Object to them making the Inquisitors cartoon villains, as they have always been.

My only issue is that I wanted a bit more background in this episode. They have to get to Third Sister's backstory before the finale.
Yeah, personally this episode was the most I've liked her all season, because we got to actually have a legitimate character moment with her instead of her just running around screaming at everyone. But yeah, it's like they weren't satisfied with simply using the existing Inquisitors as henchmen, they felt compelled to have *their own* Inquisitor and are now trying way too hard to make her seem cooler and more interesting than all the others.

But yeah, this was the obvious chance to delve into her backstory, but we didn't get that because they decided to make the episode ONLY THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES LONG! It is increasingly infuriating how Disney is going "Best we can give you is six episodes, and they won't all even be full-length."

I find the stakes the be very low. We know that Leia is in no real danger, and the same can be said for Obi-Wan.

While there are some fun aspects and it’s cool to see Vader and all that, the whole series feels like filler — not just this episode. Disney just turning a quick buck. The cheap look of the show with its bland cinematography and weak dialogue does make it all come off as sort of fan fiction/fan film-ish, if that makes any sense.

I think The Mandalorian worked better as a series because it focused on a different corner of the SW universe and purposely had a different vibe from the films. It wasn’t just rehashing the same things we’ve seen before, or trying to completely mimic the films on a cheaper/smaller scale.

Honestly, I don't have a good answer haha. I just think it's a different feel for a Star Wars villain that feels kind of fresh. There's a seething anger mixed with ambition behind her, and you can understand the source of the anger. In her mind the Jedi failed her in a very direct way and she's bitter about it. I don't read it as just annoyance, I think having a chip on her shoulder is just who she is and I can get behind that. That said, that's fine if it feels one-note or doesn't work for everyone. I also haven't finished Fallen Order (don't shoot, I played a few hours of it and it was awesome, but I have lost my patience for video games these days :oldrazz:), so I admittedly wasn't thinking about other comparable characters who may have pulled off the same idea but better.

I've heard rumors that there's going to be a second season, so I'm taking that into account somewhat here too.

Ultimately, I do think the show is trending more towards the medicore side. I do wish it was firing on all cylinders week after week, considering how hyped the return of Obi-Wan has been and ultimately I do think that maybe this would've benefitted from staying as a movie rather than stretched out into a series.

That said, I'm still having fun with it. Thought the episode was a breeze to watch and ultimately Ewan and getting to see Darth freakin' Vader on my TV is mainly what's keeping me invested.
Ewan McGregor/Obi-Wan and Hayden Christensen/James Earl Jones/Darth Vader make every episode a MUST watch for me.

I think the only reason to have these bodies at varying ages and multiple alien races is for research. I don't think they are just for display because a child would not be something to boast one's reputation of greatness. If this was full of Jedi Masters and Jedi Knights then maybe it is for display. But I still think it is bodies they use for research. Maybe the decay or growth of medichlorians over a life span.
Yeah, that's my take on it also. They're experimenting left and right on all force sensitives they can catch and that wont join them.

I think the baffling writing on this show is merely a self aware and wry commentary on the PT. It’s intentionally bad.

I actually liked the handling of Reva in this episode mostly, especially the end bit with Vader. Towards the other Inquisitors she's angry and forceful and demanding. . . when Vader shows up? She's scared shirtless, because she knows she screwed up and there is absolutely nothing she can do to keep Vader from murdering her, other than *hope* that she can convince him that it wasn't a complete screwup. There was none of the angry overconfidence she has elsewhere, it was all terror and desperation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"