• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Percy Jackson and The Olympians : The Lightning Thief

It was number 2 at the box office and made 38 million. If it does well in it's second weekend. It'll get a sequel. It beat a more proven character at that box office in Wolfman. So that says ALOT.

The only thing new coming out next week is Shutter Island, which I have no idea how it will perform as the movie was originally scheduled to open in fall 2009 but was pulled due to budgetary problems from the studio.

I would think that it has the potential to have a strong 2nd weekend. On a budget of 95 mil, really it can reach just over 100 to get a sequel green lit.

I'll be seeing this on Friday, so I'll be the judge wether or not this sucks or not. I own all 5 books SIGNED by the author himself (I've met him twice), and here's what it looks like they took out from the book in order to keep this movie self-contained from what I could tell from spoilers I've read *SPOILERS FROM THE BOOKS AHEAD*:

* No mention or appearance of either Ares (who plays a MAJOR role in the first book) or his demigod daughter Clarisse, who plays a major role throughout the series (she's sorta like Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter, but she's not as mean or evil)
* I don't think Dionysus plays as big of a role as he does in the books (as far as I can tell), ESPECIALLY in Book 3 where he saves Percy's life.
* Kronos the Titan is the REAL villain in the books and is seeking to return to full power by gaining followers and tries and fails to seduce Percy into joining him. THIS is the real reason why Luke steals Zeus' lightning bolt in the book. In the movie, it looks like they COMPLETELY got rid of all the Kronos stuff and just gave Luke a different motive in order to keep the movie self-contained.
* Thalia, Zeus' demigod daughter from the books who was turned into a tree in order to prevent her from dying, doesn't seem to be mentioned AT ALL in this, leaving out major character development for both Anabeth and Percy overall.

If anyone who's both read the books and seen the movie can correct me or add more to this list of missing/changed stuff, I'd be very grateful.

Here's my list, both major and minor things (MAJOR SPOILDERS AHEAD):

Book - Percy Jackson is 11 years old
Movie - Percy is a teenager

Book - Anabeth has blond hair and has a New York Yankees cap that is an invisibility cap.
Movie - Anabeth is a brunette, no invisibility hat.

Book - Percy and the others do not know who is father is. He is assigned to Lukes cabin as the god Hermes accepts all wanderers. He learns his father is Posiden after the capture the flag game.
Movie - Everyone but Percy knows Posiden is his father, he figures it out immediately when reaching camp half blood.

Book - the god Dionysus runs camp half-blood
Movie - Mr Brunner/Chiron runs camp half-blood

Book - In the capture the flag game Anabeth fights on Percy's team, he is challenged by the daughter of Ares.
Movie - Anabeth challenges Percy in capture the flag.

Book - No one is allowed to leave camp half-blood unless they receive a quest. Percy is given the quest by the oracle because he is believed to be the lightning thief.
Movie - Percy, Anabeth and Grover run away from camp half-blood because Percy wants to save his mother from Hades.

Book - Percy is told by the oracle "you will fail to save what you love the most" and he is unable to rescue his mother from Hades.
Movie - Grover agrees to stay with Persephone in order to give Percy's mother one of her Pearls.

Book - Percy is given Persephone's pears at the bottom of the St. Louis Arch.
Movie - Percy has to visit different locations to collect different pearls.

Book - Percy visits St Louis, Denver,Las Vegas, and Hollywood on his journey.
Movie - Percy visits Nashville, Las Vegas, Hollywood

Book - Mr. Brunner/Chiron tells Percy Hades is located in Hollywood.
Movie - A secret Map reveals Hade's location along the way to Hollywood.

Book - Hades is alone when he meets Percy.
Movie - Hades is with Persephone, who conspires with Percy to help him and his mother escape.

Book - Mr Brunner tells Percy Mount Olympus is located on the 800th floor of the Empire State Bulding.
Movie - Percy's Mother reveals the location of Mount Olympus.

Book - Luke is working with Cronos in Tartarus to conspire against the Olympians.
Movie - Luke is working by himself to overthrow the Olympians.

I hope there's no sequel.

All this bland crappy acting and storytelling is enough.

Columbus seems to have gotten more lazy as a filmmaker. This film was as bland and pedestrian as can be.

Book - Anabeth has blond hair and has a New York Yankees cap that is an invisibility cap.

Book - Percy and the others do not know who is father is. He is assigned to Lukes cabin as the god Hermes accepts all wanderers. He learns his father is Posiden after the capture the flag game.
Movie - Everyone but Percy knows Posiden is his father, he figures it out immediately when reaching camp half blood.

Book - In the capture the flag game Anabeth fights on Percy's team, he is challenged by the daughter of Ares.

Book - No one is allowed to leave camp half-blood unless they receive a quest. Percy is given the quest by the oracle because he is believed to be the lightning thief.
Movie - Percy, Anabeth and Grover run away from camp half-blood because Percy wants to save his mother from Hades.

Book - Percy is told by the oracle "you will fail to save what you love the most" and he is unable to rescue his mother from Hades.
Movie - Grover agrees to stay with Persephone in order to give Percy's mother one of her Pearls.

Movie - Hades is with Persephone, who conspires with Percy to help him and his mother escape.

Book - Mr Brunner tells Percy Mount Olympus is located on the 800th floor of the Empire State Bulding.

Book - Luke is working with Cronos in Tartarus to conspire against the Olympians.

Those changes upset me, though I havent read the books lol. Especially Luke and Cronos teaming up not in the movie.. That I believe is major as I know Cronos has a big part n the other books if not mistaken. Wikipedia haha. Anyways why change most of the things they changed anyway?? I enjoyed the movie, with a few minor dislikes.

It looks as if Fox wanted this film to be a standalone, so they purposedly left out Ares (and his daughter), as well as Cronos in the movie. It's a huge mistake and I think Columbus should've fought to keep those details intact in the film adaptation. As a director who directed the first two Potter movies, he should've known better.

It's actually Columbus that wanted the changes. He wanted to make the film a standalone, in case it didn't get a sequel. All the changes can easily be reinstalled into a sequel.

Another change from the books that really bothered me was
Percy flying all over the place in Luke's shoes. In the book it is pointed out that Zeus is the god of the skies and that it would be unwise for Percy to use them. In the movie every time he gets in a battle he's flying around in the shoes. The more I watched him flying in the shoes the more ticked off I got.

I've never read a book and so much about the movie was stupid and made no sense to me.

From a casual perspective, the plot makes no sense because they are searching for pearls TO GET OUT OF THE UNDERWORLD. So they get out of the underworld and then what? A war is going to break out no matter what and you are all toast! At the end Luke announced he is the lightning thief when almost through the whole movie, Percy, Grover, and Annabeth didn't give even two ****s who that was. Percy never once asked why people think he's the lightning thief or perhaps looking for the lightning thief. If he finds the thief and the bolt, BOOM problem solved and he can probably get his mom out anyway.

So those parts of the plot that Columbus just ignores are unrepairable IMHO. And again I've never read these books and I only have passing knowledge of them.

Lerman was boring slate. His so-called ADHD is never really exhibited as this is supposed to be a problem with him at school and socially. What he thought was dyslexia but really just translating everything to old Greek came across.

But the dude didn't prove anything. I was never convinced he actually cared about his mother or what happened to her. He also never seemed upset or surprised about anything. If I'm a 16-17 yo and people keep accusing me of having something I didn't take, I'd be pretty pissed off and be like I DON'T ****ING HAVE IT ****WAD! I was constantly waiting for Percy Jackson to exhibit some kind of appropriate emotion but he never did. They want this kid to play Spider-man? I bloody well hope not.

There was no suspense or anything chilling. Everything felt like obligatory and pedestrian. His ugly teacher brings him into a room and turns into a monster and it just came off, well we have to do this scene might as well. Just seemed like an odd way for his teacher to be introduced as a monster. 007 was there and seemed to have a relationship with the school and Percy but how? Did 007 work for the museum or the school? Shouldn't he be able to tell there are ****ing monsters posing as teachers?

Percy also doesn't come off like a complete ****** and seems to be halfway intelligent and even knows about greek mythology. Yet how does he not know about the Hydra? Just for once I'd like to see the hero go, hydra right, can't cut off its head so . . . what can we do?

I've never read a book and so much about the movie was stupid and made no sense to me.

From a casual perspective, the plot makes no sense because they are searching for pearls TO GET OUT OF THE UNDERWORLD. So they get out of the underworld and then what? A war is going to break out no matter what and you are all toast! At the end Luke announced he is the lightning thief when almost through the whole movie, Percy, Grover, and Annabeth didn't give even two ****s who that was. Percy never once asked why people think he's the lightning thief or perhaps looking for the lightning thief. If he finds the thief and the bolt, BOOM problem solved and he can probably get his mom out anyway.

So those parts of the plot that Columbus just ignores are unrepairable IMHO. And again I've never read these books and I only have passing knowledge of them.

Do you mean you've never read A book or THE book?

The main thing that seems to have passed you by was that it didn't matter who the lightning thief was to Percy, at least in the movie. Chiron was going to take him to Olympus and plead his innocence to Zeus. He only left on the quest to go to Hades to tell Hades he didn't have the bolt thinking Hades would be reasonable enough to give him his mother back once he knew Percy wasn't the lightning thief.

He wasn't supposed to leave the camp cause it was the only safe place for him.

I don't know why he was considered the thief in the books but the movie basically said he was the thief because he was Poseidon's son and since none of the Gods could steal each other's powers, one of their children could have. Since Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades have a rivalry for control, he figured it was Poseidon. Dick move.

EDIT: I believe in the book the Helm of Darkness was stolen from Hades leaving Poseidon and by association, his son, the prime suspects. But I maybe wrong.

Last edited:
Do you mean you've never read A book or THE book?

The main thing that seems to have passed you by was that it didn't matter who the lightning thief was to Percy, at least in the movie. Chiron was going to take him to Olympus and plead his innocence to Zeus. He only left on the quest to go to Hades to tell Hades he didn't have the bolt thinking Hades would be reasonable enough to give him his mother back once he knew Percy wasn't the lightning thief.

He wasn't supposed to leave the camp cause it was the only safe place for him.

But he left anyway. And he never thought to ask who the could the lightning thief be. Or, I'm going to leave the camp to get the lightning thief, stop this war, and get my mother back.

I don't know why he was considered the thief in the books but the movie basically said he was the thief because he was Poseidon's son and since none of the Gods could steal each other's powers, one of their children could have. Since Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades have a rivalry for control, he figured it was Poseidon. Dick move.

Again that makes no sense. They never said it was just because he was Poseidon's son. Why did Zeus automatically think it was Percy? Aren't the Gods all powerful? Poseidon clearly knew Percy didn't take it. Also all the other Gods believe it as well. All the creatures do too. But they never gave a reason. If Chiron said, because you are Poseidon's son they think you took it. But this was never stated and.

But he left anyway. And he never thought to ask who the could the lightning thief be. Or, I'm going to leave the camp to get the lightning thief, stop this war, and get my mother back.

How would returning the lightning bolt have gotten his mother back? Hades wanted the bolt if Percy had given it back to Zeus first, you think Hades would have just said, "Oh, well" and given Sally back? He was going to kill all four of them even after he had it.

Like said. The point Chiron was making was that if they could plead the case to Zeus, they could possibly avoid the War between the Gods. Then find the lightning thief. Chiron was thinking of the immediate problem of stopping the deadline of the Summer Solistice.

This point would have been reinforced if the Ares scene had stayed in. I'll admit that.

Again that makes no sense. They never said it was just because he was Poseidon's son. Why did Zeus automatically think it was Percy? Aren't the Gods all powerful? Poseidon clearly knew Percy didn't take it. Also all the other Gods believe it as well. All the creatures do too. But they never gave a reason. If Chiron said, because you are Poseidon's son they think you took it. But this was never stated and.

What? It's alluding to the rivalry between the big 3 Gods when they took over after the Titans. When Hades got control of the Underworld, Zeus the sky, and such. Zeus suspected Poseidon had Percy steal it for him to get around the rule. That's why he met Poseidon on the building at the beginning and Poseidon told him that Percy didn't even know he was a demi-god.

The fact that they were actually subtle about something was good, imo.

There were some head-scratching points, like how Percy knew he could control that water to fight the Hydra with when he'd never done anything like it.

Sally's death aftermath was badly mangled.

Last edited:
How would returning the lightning bolt have gotten his mother back? Hades wanted the bolt if Percy had given it back to Zeus first, you think Hades would have just said, "Oh, well" and given Sally back? He was going to kill all four of them even after he had it.

THE SAME WAY IT GOT HIS DUMBASS SATYR BUDDY BACK! :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

Giving the bolt back and TELLING THE TRUTH was enough to get back Grover. So if they had not gone on their stupid side quest and actually just found the bolt and brought it back, it probably would've been enough to get back his mom.

It was clearly enough to get Grover back.

Like said. The point Chiron was making was that if they could plead the case to Zeus, they could possibly avoid the War between the Gods. Then find the lightning thief. Chiron was thinking of the immediate problem of stopping the deadline of the Summer Solistice.

Chiron never talked about finding the lightning thief or the bolt. That should've been on Percy's mind.

This point would have been reinforced if the Ares scene had stayed in. I'll admit that.

Called bad storytelling.

What? It's alluding to the rivalry between the big 3 Gods when they took over after the Titans. When Hades got control of the Underworld, Zeus the sky, and such. Zeus suspected Poseidon had Percy steal it for him to get around the rule. That's why he met Poseidon on the building at the beginning and Poseidon told him that Percy didn't even know he was a demi-god.

OK, but the book apparently explains why they think Percy took it. The movie never did that. Percy also never once asks WHY THE HELL DO THEY THINK I TOOK IT?! He didn't even seem to care.

Which is another part of Lerman's problem. He didn't really seem to care or be concerned about anything that was happening to him at all. He just sort of did what the plot needed him to.

The fact that they were actually subtle about something was good, imo.

Don't mistake subtlety for bad storytelling.

There were some head-scratching points, like how Percy knew he could control that water to fight the Hydra with when he'd never done anything like it.

Sally's death aftermath was badly mangled.

Maybe it was just subtle ;) .

THE SAME WAY IT GOT HIS DUMBASS SATYR BUDDY BACK! :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

Giving the bolt back and TELLING THE TRUTH was enough to get back Grover. So if they had not gone on their stupid side quest and actually just found the bolt and brought it back, it probably would've been enough to get back his mom.

It was clearly enough to get Grover back..

Hades was freaking unconscious at that point. He would have killed Grover otherwise.

And there was no guarantee that Zeus would have believed Percy anyways. So at least going to get his mother would have guaranteed her safety and he would have had enough time to get back and explain himself to Zeus(Lotus Casino incident not withstanding) at Olympus.

The whole thing with Gabe emphasized the point that Percy was basically a momma's boy and she came first to him.

Chiron never talked about finding the lightning thief or the bolt. That should've been on Percy's mind.

Chiron was looking after Percy first, why else was he disguised as his teacher. Pleading the case for Percy's innocence would have killed two birds with one stone. Stopping the war was more necessary than finding the bolt. The deadline was the problem.

I agree. The movie has bad storytelling. He didn't emphasize the points to drive the necessary information, but that doesn't mean the info wasn't there.

On the whole Luke not working for Kronos, in a sequel if made, they could easily reveal that Luke was being manipulated by Kronos... I mean Luke has daddy issues, and Kronos could be explained as having been the one who influenced Luke's rage further for his own purposes, I mean most villains manipulate and never tell their lackies what exactly is going on... for all we know Kronos told Luke this was all about getting back at his father and the gods, just to get Luke on his side, or to do his bidding

On Ares, I'm glad Percy, a rookie didn't fight and defeat him, the Luke v. Percy was much more believable, but I think they could easily introduce his daughter in the next one

Annabeth's hair should've been blonde, and her cap should've been included, I mean it would've came in handy quite a few times, and made Annabeth seem more clever...
ex.s
Annabeth uses it to sneak them out of Camp Halfblood, instead of them strolling out,
OR, she uses it to sneak into the Museum and let Percy and Grover in
OR, Annabeth, invisible, shoots hydra to distract him
OR, she could've even given the cap to Grover to hide from Hades in the Underworld

I have read the first book, loved it (its a great break from college calc and business classes), and am about to read the second. We went to see the movie tonight. I'm not going to apologize for saying its absolute $***. I won't list the list of omissions I again though I do concur with the other opinions on here. Two points I would like to make are this:

1. I can deal with "good-bad" movies. Point Break and it's street racing cousin Fast & The Furious? Great. But when doing an adaptation, being faithful to your source material is a real plus. I'm not against change mind you, change can be a great thing. But when the source material gets it all right, there shouldn't be any harm in being faithful to it. I thought the handling of the Underworld was a bit heavy-handed with its Christianizing of it.

2. Know your demographic. I loved the book because it, to me, was the kind of big imaginary adventure we all dreamed of having as little kids only for Percy, good or bad, it was all real. I never got that feeling from the movie. The movie seemed to want to be all things to all people (adventure story/sexual coming of age story/child abandonment...etc.)

wow this movie bombed harder than i expected.... especially with the massive(costly) marketing campaign..

no sequel for this one... *files under Eragon*

I have read the first book, loved it (its a great break from college calc and business classes), and am about to read the second. We went to see the movie tonight. I'm not going to apologize for saying its absolute $***. I won't list the list of omissions I again though I do concur with the other opinions on here. Two points I would like to make are this:

1. I can deal with "good-bad" movies. Point Break and it's street racing cousin Fast & The Furious? Great. But when doing an adaptation, being faithful to your source material is a real plus. I'm not against change mind you, change can be a great thing. But when the source material gets it all right, there shouldn't be any harm in being faithful to it. I thought the handling of the Underworld was a bit heavy-handed with its Christianizing of it.

2. Know your demographic. I loved the book because it, to me, was the kind of big imaginary adventure we all dreamed of having as little kids only for Percy, good or bad, it was all real. I never got that feeling from the movie. The movie seemed to want to be all things to all people (adventure story/sexual coming of age story/child abandonment...etc.)

you and i share the same opinions on what makes a good adaptation.

wow this movie bombed harder than i expected.... especially with the massive(costly) marketing campaign..

no sequel for this one... *files under Eragon*

This movie has not bombed. Not yet at least. It's already made roughly two-thirds of its production budget back in two weeks of it being open. It has plenty of opportunity to make its budget back, though probably not as much of a profit from that standpoint. I can't find anywhere that the marketing campaign cost was revealed, and considering how little I saw it until the week or two before its release, there is no way it is as big as you're claiming, when I know there were other movies that got bigger campaigns for not that much. It is way too early to call this a bomb. Wolfman on the other hand...

$58 million plus at US box office and $67 million plus overseas. $126.4 total worldwide. It look's like it will make enough to get a sequel. Will probably get somewhere north of $200 million total worldwide.

Last edited:
This movie has not bombed. Not yet at least. It's already made roughly two-thirds of its production budget back in two weeks of it being open. It has plenty of opportunity to make its budget back, though probably not as much of a profit from that standpoint. I can't find anywhere that the marketing campaign cost was revealed, and considering how little I saw it until the week or two before its release, there is no way it is as big as you're claiming, when I know there were other movies that got bigger campaigns for not that much. It is way too early to call this a bomb. Wolfman on the other hand...

lol... no

it doesnt have to just make its budget back... its needs double to then break even

lol... no

it doesnt have to just make its budget back... its needs double to then break even
Post above you, buddy. Post above you. The film was made on the cheap for 95 million. It has 124 million worldwide. It's not a bomb and I'd say it will most certainly get a sequel.

and you think it'll get a sequel by breaking even?... and they'd be lucky to break even with 126mil ww

its currently 4th place and dropping... every week it goes down 60%
its making 1mil week days and at most from now on 15mil a weekend

and you think it'll get a sequel by breaking even?... and they'd be lucky to break even with 126mil ww

its currently 4th place and dropping... every week it goes down 60%
its making 1mil week days and at most from now on 15mil a weekend
It had a less sharp drop than Wolfman and Valentine's Day at 51 percent.. That says something. I think it'll have better legs than those films. It WILL make a slight profit. Like Spec said the advertising campaign didn't cost much as obviously it wasn't heavily advertised at all.

Fox will consider it a success and give it a sequel.

It had a less sharp drop than Wolfman and Valentine's Day at 51 percent.. That says something. I think it'll have better legs than those films. It WILL make a slight profit. Like Spec said the advertising campaign didn't cost much as obviously it wasn't heavily advertised at all.

Fox will consider it a success and give it a sequel.

eragon had a 100mil budget and made back 250mil ww... and obviously didnt get a sequel.(Fox)

i think Fox was looking for a nice 300mil to further invest on a franchise...on both eragon and this...

and fox bought Narnia after it pulled in 400mil on a 225mil budget... obviously next they're going to give the third narnia a 100-150mil budget and hope for another 300-400mil return lol

thats fox for ya..

eragon had a 100mil budget and made back 250mil ww... and obviously didnt get a sequel.(Fox)

i think Fox was looking for a nice 300mil to further invest on a franchise...on both eragon and this...

and fox bought Narnia after it pulled in 400mil on a 225mil budget... obviously next they're going to give the third narnia a 100-150mil budget and hope for another 300-400mil return lol

thats fox for ya..

While you probably right about the other stuff, the fact you keep mentioning Eragon's WW gross but not the fact it only grossed 75 million domestically on a 100 million is why it didn't get a sequel. On top of the fact it opened over the Christmas break meaning it should have had enough to cross 100 million with two holiday increases.

So 75 million total versus 58 million in two weeks doesn't really compare, imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"