Peyton Reed to direct, Adam McKay to rewrite Ant-man

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by samsnee, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Rock Sexton Registered

Exactly. It still baffling that there are people who haven't gotten this memo yet.

2. samsnee Ok

It sounds like Peyton had more time to do pre-production than we thought. He didn't want to come in and just execute someone else's vision, so may be he was able to change a few things to add his own touch. I don't doubt the basic storyline will be the same, but it won't just be a lesser version of an Edgar Wright movie.

3. Dyson Registered

When filming starts on August 18th, Reed will of had nearly 2 and a half months of prep which is great because he will be executing his own vision of "Ant-Man" while using Edgar Wright's basic storyline for it. Colour me excited!

4. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

I think everything will be cool, in fact it might even be better than a regular setup because Reed has something already in place to work from and develop into his own thing. Like a pick n choose what will work/wont type deal.

5. Majik1387 Registered

McKay is one of the worst writers they could get for this. :csad:

6. Dyson Registered

Why?

7. Majik1387 Registered

Every single movie he's written has not only been written sloppily, it's been painfully unfunny each and every time.

8. Dyson Registered

1. McKay didn't rewrite the whole script. He only rewrote parts of it.
    2. McKay has written some very funny, very memorable movies like Talladega Nights, Anchorman 1 and 2, Step Brothers and The Other Guys. I love them all - especially Step Brothers and The Other Guys which are both hilarious. :woot:I think McKay not only knows how to write comedy but how to write well in general. Besides, McKay - like Reed - is a known comic book junkie who most likely respects the source material and rewrote parts to truly make it better.

9. Mysteryman Registered

i have seen two movies that he has written,
    Anchorman and Talladega Nights .
    I laughed pretty hard at both.

10. Rock Sexton Registered

The Other Guys never gets old. Love that movie.

11. Majik1387 Registered

Meh, I was over The Other Guyswithin 20 minutes. The Anchorman movie grew stale extremely fast. Talladega Nights did not deserve to punish Amy Adams by putting it on her resume. And the less said about Step Brothers the better; it takes a lot to fully cast a movie with actors I enjoy and make me hate them for all the unfunny reasons that movie did.

12. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Adam McKay is only rewriting a few bits of the script so I wouldn't worry.

McKay comes from a improv background. Much of the Anchorman movies were improvised.

I like McKay's movies but they can feel like each scene is a sketch that doesn't really fit well as a cohesive movies.

13. Mysteryman Registered

Somehow , I doubt Amy Adams regrets that Talledga Nights is part of her resume .
    She was pretty good in the role .
    It looked like she was having fun to me .

14. Rock Sexton Registered

OK we get it, even though your opinion wreaks.

#189 Rock Sexton, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  15. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

OMG Its gonna be TERRIBLE (cuz one viewer has no sense of humor) :lmao:

16. Krystal Registered

LOL, he didn't like those movies therefore he is a bad writer.

Such a bad writer that he keeps getting hired and movies make a lot of money and most people like them.

Yeah, so minority opinion says he's a bad writer. But he will continue to repost it 20 times in case we weren't sure.

17. Majik1387 Registered

If you're going to insult me, at least spell the insult correctly. :whatever:
    Going from Edgar Wright humor to McKay humor is a terrible downgrade, however, nowhere did I say this movie is going to be terrible. :whatever:
    He is a bad writer, to me.
    Other than the Anchorman movies, while some general audience enjoyed them, I wouldn't call them majority loved, and only Anchorman was really the money-maker.
    Oh please, get over yourself, I mentioned it in two threads, and elaborated when asked about it. :whatever:

18. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Maybe this movie wont be for you. Wrights supposedly making a new movie called Baby Driver next, go see that instead I guess.

19. Majik1387 Registered

Maybe, but again we'll see. I had high hopes with Wright. His departure didn't bring them down entirely as I overall like the cast and I liked all the MCU movies. Replacing him with Reed in the director's spot is a bit 'eh' but doesn't bring down any hopes they way that McKay's involvement does. I just hope Reed is competent enough to know/alter what comedy McKay will try to incorporate.

20. Rock Sexton Registered

You have no idea what McKay will or will not incorporate. That's like saying because you saw Community, you knew what the Russos would put into CA:TWS.

Most of the movies McKay has done have been out of their own production company (Gary Sanchez) and they had more creative liberties in that regard.

21. Majik1387 Registered

That's entirely true, I don't know what he would incorporate; maybe he'll knock it out of the park being one of the most amazing writers for a comic book movie in a long time, however, all I have to go on is his past work, in which none of it impressed me or was even tolerable. So yes, his involvement as of right now is not a positive thing; and like I just said, he may surprise me, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it just yet.
    And it shows in those movies. I'll say I'm happy Marvel lets their creative team do their job, but will pull rank if it's too out of order for their tastes.

22. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Ant-Man will still have some of Edgar Wright's stuff in it so if your a fan of Edgar's work it will still be worth watching.

23. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I don't think the hiring of McKay necessarily means they hired him for just purely comedy. He's got a good handle on character through humor and even if his humor isn't your cup of tea, the guy knows structure and is a competent writer. Through what Reed and Marvel want, I'm sure it's a very specific thing they want from him.

24. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Its gotta pass the Marvel quality test before it even hits the camera anyway (see Edgar Wrights screenplay). Kevin Feige also said the new version of Ant Man is the best yet. I love comedy, so if McKay throws in some of his humor thats cool with me. I doubt its gonna be totally Ant Man: The Legend of Hank Pym.

25. Krystal Registered

I didn't laugh at Ghostbusters---therefore the writers are no good.