Peyton Reed to direct, Adam McKay to rewrite Ant-man

Was anyone else really hyped by the synopsis that was released? I know it really isn't much but the fact it sounds pretty good and unique (the heist angle) alongside the fact that things are getting back on track has really rekindled my interest in the film.

Yeah, I dig the plot. I really like the heist idea. If done right, this should be a really cool Marvel movie.I have faith in Reed and McKay.

Yeah, Ant-Man.

Was anyone else really hyped by the synopsis that was released? I know it really isn't much but the fact it sounds pretty good and unique (the heist angle) alongside the fact that things are getting back on track has really rekindled my interest in the film.

I'm a little dissapointed that the synopsis has the two joining together to sa e the world. I wanted it to be about saving Cassie, a personal story, and I wanted the joining together bit to be a last act thing, the synopsis seems to imply that it will happen early on.

I'm a little dissapointed that the synopsis has the two joining together to sa e the world. I wanted it to be about saving Cassie, a personal story, and I wanted the joining together bit to be a last act thing, the synopsis seems to imply that it will happen early on.

My guess is Lang and Pym team up around the half way point of the film.

Thor 2 was great. I get tired of hearing people crap all over it. Winter Soldier was based on one of Cap's most acclaimed runs ever and Avengers was an unprecedented team up film. Thor as a comic has always had an identity crisis frankly and I thought the wackiness of TTDW had a very Silver Age feel to me. I loved it.

I think that's just standard synopsis writing - you always have to save the world or be in grave danger or overcome some seemingly in-defeatable foe. I'd be surprised if Cassie isn't involved in some regard

Didn't Edgar say the villains come from Ant-Man's powers? That seems pretty in line with the synopsis

I kind of agree. That "save the world" trope can get a little tired. I'm hoping Ant-Man brings us something fresh. Still I trust Marvel on this and am optimistic that the film will be a good time.

Didn't Edgar say the villains come from Ant-Man's powers? That seems pretty in line with the synopsis

Wright also said "Ant-Man" was going to be more of a heist film that had a similar tone to the first "Iron-Man". I'm very sure lots of what Wright and Cornish wrote will be present, but now with whatever McKay and Marvel rewrites in the mix.

Yeah, so it appears the core concepts Edgar came up with will stay in the film, which is good. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what McKay and Reed can bring to the film. His F4 pitch sounded fantastic.

^ Yeah, his FF storyline gave some hope. It honestly made me think he should direct Fantastic Four, since he has some understanding of the point of that comic (there's a certain sense of wonderment that's needed). That gives me some optimism.

Tdw is easily their worst film. Proves one thing though crap films can make a lot of money.

Quality of film (or lack thereof) is a separate issue from identity. I was only asking about identity. I thought it clearly stood out from other movies and was surprised people thought it had as little identity as Iron Man 2. As bad as Iron Man 2? Maybe. I thought it was slightly better, but it's in that conversation. But I thought it was stylistically its own thing.

Thor 3 needs to put THOR in the spotlight and not even deal much with Loki if possible. As much as I love Tom in that role, the series is called THOR, not LOKI.

Maybe, but I'd argue that Tom Hiddleston is why people watch it. Thor seems to be the only franchise where a fourth one is a realistic possibility. If they have a plan for Thor Four (Thour?), then I'd be ok giving Loki a break. But he adds a lot of fun to the movies and was probably the best part about TDW.

Yeah, Ant-Man.

My position was one of disappointment. I like the heist angle (I always have. I've pointed to it every time someone asks why we should care about this movie), but it sounds convoluted. It sounds like something that was simple and straight-forward (and borrowing from the comic storyline) became something convoluted in an effort to remove moral ambiguity and increase the stakes.

Yeah, so it appears the core concepts Edgar came up with will stay in the film, which is good. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what McKay and Reed can bring to the film. His F4 pitch sounded fantastic.

I'm thinking Wright and Cornish will get story credit, whereas McKay will get the screenplay credit. I think Wright's and Cornish's names should stay attached to the story.

Story By Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish / Screenplay By Adam McKay

^^ Right, thats what I was thinking. So thats cool.

Actually it's the opposite of that. I don't want childish ****** films controlled by Disney and Marvel that hire yes men directors(pun intended). The way Marvel conducts business is scaring the talented people behind the cameras in Hollywood away.

Because TWS was a "childish ****** film" controlled by Disney with the Russo's as "yes men"?

Please! Look Edgar Wright wanted to make a solo film, he had no interest in the MCU, the MCU didn't exist when he took on the project. He went to work on other projects, and Marvel kept him on the docket for 8 years. He chose to sideline Ant Man and work on other projects (which is his prerogative), but in the meantime Marvel went from a wannabe studio to a major Hollywood powerhouse.

Things change and Edgar moved on, but that's no reason to chastise Reed and McKay. I have no idea how this will turn out, but I'm not going to blast them because things didn't work out with Edgar.

Because TWS was a "childish ****** film" controlled by Disney with the Russo's as "yes men"?

Please! Look Edgar Wright wanted to make a solo film, he had no interest in the MCU, the MCU didn't exist when he took on the project. He went to work on other projects, and Marvel kept him on the docket for 8 years. He chose to sideline Ant Man and work on other projects (which is his prerogative), but in the meantime Marvel went from a wannabe studio to a major Hollywood powerhouse.

Things change and Edgar moved on, but that's no reason to chastise Reed and McKay. I have no idea how this will turn out, but I'm not going to blast them because things didn't work out with Edgar.

Amen to all this.

I completely agree with you 100%! Like you, I think the biggest issue with Wright and Marvel Studios is that Wright and Cornish’s script was very much intended to be a solo film. Marvel just isn't interested in a solo Ant-Man film. Simple as that. It seems most likely that Marvel wanted to work with Wright on his vision for the character and the film and wanted to make it work so the film would work out well for both parties involved. When Wright's script was revised, he walked. That was his choice.

Perhaps Edgar Wright's solo Ant-Man film would have been fantastic, sure, but we the fans have accepted and embraced the MCU. For those who say that only Edgar Wright could bring a character like Ant-Man to the big screen in the best way possible is just silly. Too many people just want to believe that Wright was the only correct choice for this film, yet some of these same people dislike that fact that the Scott Lang character is going to be Ant-Man and Hank Pym would be much older. Well, that was all in Wright’s script. And yes, Wright was working on Ant-Man for way too long. The fact that Marvel kept him attached to Ant-Man for so long is quite surprising. The people at Marvel must have really liked his story and his vision, but in the end, Wright’s Ant-Man was probably better off as a solo film only.

It’s true that this film could turn out to be awful, but I have a good feeling about it. Peyton Reed and Adam McKay are two talented guys who have been working in the film and television for a long time now. I’m sure they are working hard to make Ant-Man a fantastic film with a strong story that ties in well with the other MCU films. I’m looking forward to a Peyton Reed directed Ant-Man.

Down with Love is actually an interesting send up to 60's romantic comedies. Reed has done some entertaining stuff but he's also made some films that just don't do anything for me. It's like James Gunn, he's worked on stuff I liked, but also stuff I thought was pretty bad or mediocre. I'm just going to wait and see. It's sort of meh.

It's funny, from the moment Wright walked and I saw the reactions, there was a deep rant in me that I did not want to get out. However, after posts like weezerspider's, it seems I can't keep it in me anyone. So it's rant time. If it offends you or you don't like what I say...tough. Don't read or go somewhere else.

The amount of Edgar Wright fanboyism on these boards has gotten ridiculous. That's exactly what it is at this point, and what it's arguably always been. Pure, militant, hardcore Wright fanboyism.

Let's review two things for a sec:
1) Marvel's history with other directors/writers/actors.
2) Wright's history with Marvel.

So...Marvel's history with other people. Marvel screws Favreau with Iron Man 2, releasing the film prematurely and shoehorning in Avengers setups at the film's expense. Then some more crap happens behind closed doors with Iron Man 3, and Favreau walks as director. That's two films Marvel screws him over with. Then there's Norton, who Marvel fires for whatever reason and blames whatever happened on him in the media (the whole thing with him and Lettterier not getting along was blown out of proportion btw, confirmed by both). Then there's Branagh and Taylor, who both have their Thor films screwed over by Marvel to the point the final product was mediocre. The case with Howard is more debatable, but there were still rumors for a while that he also got screwed by Marvel. Whether or not that's true is a whole different story, but there were still many who jumped on the "Howard is at fault" bandwagon very early on. Then there's Shane Black who had an essential part of his film retconned away by a one-shot most people will never see. I never really cared for the Mandarin twist myself and was happy with the one-shot, but in a way, it did undo Black's vision since Black envisioned Killian as the modern Mandarin.

Overall, this isn't anywhere near the first time Marvel "screwed" someone over. Which begs the question...where were all these fans who are crying foul when those other people got screwed over? Sure there were some to an extent, but none of those cases mirrored the outrage we see now with Wright. Which is not only inconsistent, but it also doesn't make much sense, especially since most of the names I brought up got screwed over more than Wright.

Which brings me to my next point...Wright's history with Marvel.

There is no one that had their ass kissed by Marvel as much as Wright did, for the past 8 years. They let him do the project from very early on. They let him go nuts with the property (until recently). They gave him almost a decade on it, letting him do other films in the meantime. They mapped the whole MCU in such way that it wouldn't contradict anything Wright was planning, including during and after they broke all box office records and had no reason to stay faithful to him anymore. They forced other directors, like Whedon, to adhere to his vision. Essentially they metaphorically sucked his private. Wright really had nothing to complain about. Marvel's put him on a pedestal to an extent they haven't put anyone else they worked with, not even Whedon (at least initially), and for some reason that still wasn't enough for both Wright and his fanbase.

Really, this is a "right for the wrong reasons" case. It's true Marvel deserves flack for its treatment in the past, but the ONLY reason you people give two ****s in this case because you're all a bunch of whiny Edgar Wright fanboys. Because they dared to question the Great and Almighty Edgar Wright, which will apparently lead Marvel towards oblivion.

What's even more boggling is that Wright himself, much like his loud annoying fanclub, seems to share that same mindset based on his tweet of Buster Keaton. The man sees himself as an auteur, an artist whose great vision should be immune to all mandates even if other films weren't immune to his mandates. It really gets me curious to see how he would have reacted in the shoes of someone like Favreau/Norton, or if Ant-Man was under a less risk-taking studio like WB.

If there's anything Marvel deserves flack for, it's in the fact that they put all their eggs in one basket when it comes to Ant-Man/Wright. Much like his fanbase, they were just in love with the idea of Wright making a Marvel film so much, and now that's come to bite them in the butt. If there's any lesson here going forward, it's that they shouldn't put so much blind faith in a filmmaker, not that they should've never let go of the "Lord and Saviour".

Statements like "Marvel makes childish ****** films controlled by Disney's yes men" are borderline ridiculous and are unfounded in every sense of the word. Even if that was true, it wouldn't be because of what happened with Wright.

Last edited:
It's funny, from the moment Wright walked and I saw the reactions, there was a deep rant in me that I did not want to get out. However, after posts like weezerspider's, it seems I can't keep it in me anyone. So it's rant time. If it offends you or you don't like what I say...tough. Don't read or go somewhere else.

The amount of Edgar Wright fanboyism on these boards has gotten ridiculous. That's exactly what it is at this point, and what it's arguably always been. Pure, militant, hardcore Wright fanboyism.

Let's review two things for a sec:
1) Marvel's history with other directors/writers/actors.
2) Wright's history with Marvel.

So...Marvel's history with other people. Marvel screws Favreau with Iron Man 2, releasing the film prematurely and shoehorning in Avengers setups at the film's expense. Then some more crap happens behind closed doors with Iron Man 3, and Favreau walks as director. That's two films Marvel screws him over with. Then there's Norton, who Marvel fires for whatever reason and blames whatever happened on him in the media (the whole thing with him and Lettterier not getting along was blown out of proportion btw, confirmed by both). Then there's Branagh and Taylor, who both have their Thor films screwed over by Marvel to the point the final product was mediocre. The case with Howard is more debatable, but there were still rumors for a while that he also got screwed by Marvel. Whether or not that's true is a whole different story, but there were still many who jumped on the "Howard is at fault" bandwagon very early on. Then there's Shane Black who had an essential part of his film retconned away by a one-shot most people will never see. I never really cared for the Mandarin twist myself and was happy with the one-shot, but in a way, it did undo Black's vision since Black envisioned Killian as the modern Mandarin.

Overall, this isn't anywhere near the first time Marvel "screwed" someone over. Which begs the question...where were all these fans who are crying foul when those other people got screwed over? Sure there were some to an extent, but none of those cases mirrored the outrage we see now with Wright. Which is not only inconsistent, but it also doesn't make much sense, especially since most of the names I brought up got screwed over more than Wright.

Which brings me to my next point...Wright's history with Marvel.

There is no one that had their ass kissed by Marvel as much as Wright did, for the past 8 years. They let him do the project from very early on. They let him go nuts with the property (until recently). They gave him almost a decade on it, letting him do other films in the meantime. They mapped the whole MCU in such way that it wouldn't contradict anything Wright was planning, including during and after they broke all box office records and had no reason to stay faithful to him anymore. They forced other directors, like Whedon, to adhere to his vision. Essentially they metaphorically sucked his private. Wright really had nothing to complain about. Marvel's put him on a pedestal to an extent they haven't put anyone else they worked with, not even Whedon (at least initially), and for some reason that still wasn't enough for both Wright and his fanbase.

Really, this is a "right for the wrong reasons" case. It's true Marvel deserves flack for its treatment in the past, but the ONLY reason you people give two ****s in this case because you're all a bunch of whiny Edgar Wright fanboys. Because they dared to question the Great and Almighty Edgar Wright, which will apparently lead Marvel towards oblivion.

What's even more boggling is that Wright himself, much like his loud annoying fanclub, seems to share that same mindset based on his tweet of Buster Keaton. The man sees himself as an auteur, an artist whose great vision should be immune to all mandates even if other films weren't immune to his mandates. It really gets me curious to see how he would have reacted in the shoes of someone like Favreau/Norton, or if Ant-Man was under a less risk-taking studio like WB.

If there's anything Marvel deserves flack for, it's in the fact that they put all their eggs in one basket when it comes to Ant-Man/Wright. Much like his fanbase, they were just in love with the idea of Wright making a Marvel film so much, and now that's come to bite them in the butt. If there's any lesson here going forward, it's that they shouldn't put so much blind faith in a filmmaker, not that they should've never let go of the "Lord and Saviour".

Statements like "Marvel makes childish ****** films controlled by Disney's yes men" are borderline ridiculous and are unfounded in every sense of the word. Even if that was true, it wouldn't be because of what happened with Wright.

:applaud

I have to say losing Wright to have him replaced by Reed is a really bad trade off for me, my interest in this movie has now gone down to pretty much zilch now Wright has moved on.

Marvel should have gotten a more exciting replacement IMO. Like Fox did twice recently (and I am no Fox lover, far from it). Matthew Vaughn left DOFP, they signed up Singer to direct, the guy who directed 2 of the best movies in the franchise. Rupert Wyatt leaves DOTPOTA, so they sign Matt Reeves up to replace him, to me an even more exciting prospect than the director leaving, despite me loving Rise.

So Marvel lose Edgar Wright, who hasnt made a bad movie yet, and replace him with Peyton Reed, who arguably hasnt made a good movie yet.

It hardly inspires confidence in the finished product.

In another thread people defended the appointment of Derrickson to me, saying its in line with other directors Marvel have hired in the past. But while the likes of Favreau, Branagh, Leterrier, Whedon and Gunn didnt have much experience directing, them being attached brought excitement to their respective projects at least.

I have to say losing Wright to have him replaced by Reed is a really bad trade off for me, my interest in this movie has now gone down to pretty much zilch now Wright has moved on.

Marvel should have gotten a more exciting replacement IMO. Like Fox did twice recently (and I am no Fox lover, far from it). Matthew Vaughn left DOFP, they signed up Singer to direct, the guy who directed 2 of the best movies in the franchise. Rupert Wyatt leaves DOTPOTA, so they sign Matt Reeves up to replace him, to me an even more exciting prospect than the director leaving, despite me loving Rise.

So Marvel lose Edgar Wright, who hasnt made a bad movie yet, and replace him with Peyton Reed, who arguably hasnt made a good movie yet.

In another thread people defended the appointment of Derrickson to me, saying its in line with other directors Marvel have hired in the past. But while the likes of Favreau, Branagh, Leterrier, Whedon and Gunn didnt have much experience directing, them being attached brought excitement to their respective projects at least.

I share your concerns. But Marvel's surprised us a lot and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here. I actually remember guys like Favreau, Whedon and the Russo brothers getting trashed by fans. Favreau the director of Zathura? Comedy directors for Cap? Whedon was accused of being a cheap yes man TV director. Yet those films all turned out to be arguably Marvel's three greatest successes. Meanwhile people praised the director choice of Shane Black up and down and then crucified the guy when he did something bold with the canon.

I think some guys work well with Marvel and others don't. They're not necessarily looking for the biggest names or the best resume. They're looking for the right fit for their vision. It seems to me that Edgar Wright took too long to make his film and the film he wanted to make simply no longer fit with that vision.

If Marvel didn't care about adding Hank Pym and co. to the MCU mythology I'm sure they would've given Wright the keys to the kingdom. But let's face it - the connected universe is one of the coolest things about what Marvel is doing. And given the fact that they will probably never reclaim their premier franchises like Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four - they can't afford to dilute their brand by treating the characters they do have as throwaway material. Pym is actually a pretty key figure in the Marvel Universe.

What gives me hope here on this project is this: McKay and Reed both seem to be big comic geeks. McKay referred to Kirby/Lee as his Lennon/McCartney. And I loved the description of what Reed had planned for Fantastic Four but never saw the light of day when the reins were handed to Tim Story to run that franchise into the ground.

I'm not saying Ant-Man will be a great film. But I'm more than willing to give it a chance. I'm rooting for it actually especially after all the overboard fanboy outrage over Edgar Wright's departure.

I share your concerns. But Marvel's surprised us a lot and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here. I actually remember guys like Favreau, Whedon and the Russo brothers getting trashed by fans. Favreau the director of Zathura? Comedy directors for Cap? Whedon was accused of being a cheap yes man TV director. Yet those films all turned out to be arguably Marvel's three greatest successes. Meanwhile people praised the director choice of Shane Black up and down and then crucified the guy when he did something bold with the canon.

I think some guys work well with Marvel and others don't. They're not necessarily looking for the biggest names or the best resume. They're looking for the right fit for their vision. It seems to me that Edgar Wright took too long to make his film and the film he wanted to make simply no longer fit with that vision.

If Marvel didn't care about adding Hank Pym and co. to the MCU mythology I'm sure they would've given Wright the keys to the kingdom. But let's face it - the connected universe is one of the coolest things about what Marvel is doing. And given the fact that they will probably never reclaim their premier franchises like Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four - they can't afford to dilute their brand by treating the characters they do have as throwaway material. Pym is actually a pretty key figure in the Marvel Universe.

What gives me hope here on this project is this: McKay and Reed both seem to be big comic geeks. McKay referred to Kirby/Lee as his Lennon/McCartney. And I loved the description of what Reed had planned for Fantastic Four but never saw the light of day when the reins were handed to Tim Story to run that franchise into the ground.

I'm not saying Ant-Man will be a great film. But I'm more than willing to give it a chance. I'm rooting for it actually especially after all the overboard fanboy outrage over Edgar Wright's departure.
And what gives me hope is the fact that Wrights Story Framework and cast has has been retained .

Its really easy to be negative about this film. But if you love the MCU movies you should want it to be a surprise hit. I do.

And what gives me hope is the fact that Wrights Story Framework and cast has has been retained .

Yeah the cast is stellar. It's hard to not be excited about that. And you're right - no matter what - this film is going to have Edgar Wright's fingerprints on it.

Its really easy to be negative about this film. But if you love the MCU movies you should want it to be a surprise hit. I do.

Didn't you get the memo? Hating on Marvel is the new thing.

Yep, saw your posts in the other threads, you're just being a negative minded person at the moment, and I don't blame you for that and with all your concerns BUT you're dealing with MARVEL, when was the last time they've deliver a BAD Film? Let that sink in.........none! IM2, TIH, TDW (opinion-based but in the eyes of the general public it was a success BO Wise).

You're focusing too much on the negative ends when at the end of the day everything is positive with this film MOVING FORWARD and this will be the first film AFTER the AVENGERS: AOU, last movie that did that? IM3, how it turned out? a BILLION+ my friend.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy as the MCU unfolds upon us all.

That's funny
Favreau, Leterrier, Russos... none brought any excitement amongst, well, pretty much anyone
And Whedon, Gunn, Taylor, and Branagh only had heat amongst geeks and movie-philes

AVEIT, I agreed with your early negativity on TDW, but this is a bit much

I can see being negative minded on this project, given its recent chaos. But, Dr. Strange, Cap 3, Thor 3, AoU, etc. I don't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"