Peyton Reed to direct, Adam McKay to rewrite Ant-man

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by samsnee, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Whiskey Tango Registered

I'm spending all my negativity on the awful Fantastic Four mess. I have none to spare for anything else.

2. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

You make some good points, but Peyton Reed and Scott Derrickson just dont bring even the slightest bit of excitement to me, yet Gunn, Whedon, Black, Branagh and few others did. Only really The Russo's were an unknown entity to me.

So box office is an indicator of quality now? Those 3 movies were average at best.

QUOTE=The.Brotherhood;29025673]You're focusing too much on the negative ends when at the end of the day everything is positive with this film MOVING FORWARD and this will be the first film AFTER the AVENGERS: AOU, last movie that did that? IM3, how it turned out? a BILLION+ my friend.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy as the MCU unfolds upon us all.[/QUOTE]

Again because IM3 made the money it did that means its a good movie? Take The Avengers out of the equation and I doubt IM3 would have made even near 1 billion. TA gave it and the other phase 2 movies a big boost BO wise. Doesnt make them good movies, TWS excluded because that is a good movie.

But thats my point, the phase 3 directors dont even have geek credibility, Whedon, Black, Gunn, Taylor, Branagh. Peyton Reed and Scott Derrickson area big step down from even the phase 1 directors, a phase in which the MCU was in its infancy, they havent moved on and advanced it seems and in my eyes thats not a good thing.

3. Joeyjojo72 Registered

Eh its all subjective. Your giving Lego Movie the same score as AS2 and Robocop is dramatic proof of this. No point in worrying about movies going into production yet, and after cap2 there's at least some reason to be optimistic about a questionable director. Dr Strange could certainly work out with the right script and cast. Same with Ant-Man. Complaining about it at length at this point doesn't make much sense. Let's see how GotG turns out and go from there.

4. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

You may not like Derrickson, AVEIT, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have credibility. He has a pretty strong following in horror fan circles, which I would say could be called a movie-phile niche.

5. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

^Really? Because I had barely heard of him before this announcement, TDTESS is my only exposure to him, and that was awful. I heard Sinister is good, but not amazing.

But I can only judge what I see of him. I would be more than happy for both and him and Reed to prove me wrong, but as of right now neither appointment elicits any excitement from me.

In terms of director choices, Phase 3 is the poorest one yet IMO. But Phase 2 had some exciting directors involved and only 1 out of the 3 movies has been more than average IMO, so who knows?

6. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

It's fair enough to not be a fan and it's absolutely correct that you can only judge based on what you've seen. On a subjective level from my perspective I've seen both Sinister and The Exorcism of Emily Rose and would say both are very good, certainly a cut above the typical dross that passes for horror these days, but not great. I'd certainly heard of him, though, and was already aware of his popularity. I was just pointing out that not being a fan of someone is not the same as them objectively having no credibility or reputation in film fan circles.

7. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Fair enough, you make some good points. Personally I havent even heard his name in horror fan circles though. Which brings me back to my original point of the Phase 3 directors so far being a step down from the previous 2 phases.

But again, I was excited about Black and Taylor, and both movies from them (though its general knowledge now Marvel take a huge part of the the blame for TDW) were average, and the phase 2 directors (Russo's) I knew the least about and was the least excited for delivered the best phase 2 movie so far, so you never know.

Reed and Derrickson havent seemed to elicit the excitment in geek circles that previous directors for MCU movies have though. And i'm not just talking about myself.

8. kosh33 MCU Fanatic

Agreed.. i knew Favreau as the actor from friends, Whedon from Buffy, and Branagh from the Harry potter movies.. never heard of the others when they were announced..
    i go to see movies for the stories and the characters and not because of the directors..

9. kosh33 MCU Fanatic

good points.. if only more people were this sensible in the boards

10. DA_Champion Registered

The screenwriter and the director are the two most important involved in any movie.

11. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I would like to see Reed and McKay upping the lighter one liner side of Pym's personality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#161 chamber-music, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  12. kosh33 MCU Fanatic

I am not saying they are not..
    i just said i dont go see a movie just because someone well-known is directing it or has written the story

13. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

:up:

Directors and writers are the reasons I go and see half the movies I do.

14. DA_Champion Registered

Me too.

15. Whiskey Tango Registered

Except that a large number of screenwriters are involved in any single project. Have you ever looked into how many rewrites go into a typical script?

And frankly, unless he's Spielberg or Scorsese or one of a handful of others who command final cut, the director isn't as important as you'd like to think. For every guy who calls all the shots and has his vision perfectly fulfilled, there are dozens who are micromanaged by the producers who put up the cash for the project in the first place.

More often than not the director is the guy who calls the shots onset but has limited input into the artistic direction of the picture.

16. DA_Champion Registered

The movies that have no artistic vision are often good, virtually never great.

#166 DA_Champion, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  17. Whiskey Tango Registered

And who exactly gets to judge which film has "artistic vision" and which one does not? You? lol. Sorry, but no.

18. DA_Champion Registered

I'm not inventing any new concepts here. What I'm saying is already pretty well-established -- it was well-established before I was born.

19. Whiskey Tango Registered

20. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Agreed, directors are possibly the most important part of any film project. There are many films I have watched simply because a certain director did it, and many movies I would have watched if a certain director wasnt attached and it would have be me missing out on some quality movies.

21. Whiskey Tango Registered

Agreed, actors are possibly the most important part of any film project. There are many films I have watched simply because a certain actor did it, and many movies I would have watched if a certain actor wasnt attached and it would have be me missing out on some quality movies.

22. Mike Murdock Registered

But why is it the director who needs the artistic vision? Why not the producer? Or, more accurately, why can't everyone with a shared artistic vision work? Why does it have to be the director's vision?

23. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

I think there are films that dont have "artistic vision" or stylized visions that are great. There are also ones that do have that and arent great. Its about the story first, you can stylize the hell out of a movie but if the basic structure/story/characters suck it wont help. The best movies have a nice balance of all of it.

Ant-Man sounds like it has a very fun plot/story. Im not really familiar with Peyton Reeds stuff, but I assume he'll make it visually interesting to add to the mix. I dont need a highly artistic auteur piece to enjoy this, just a well told/acted/directed/scored movie.

#173 TheVision, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  24. Rock Sexton Registered

Marvel has never once had a huge headlining auteur in it's MCU. Look where it's at. That's because this is a studio built on a collective vision.

25. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I normally would agree with auteur theory, but the MCU is different because it is not run like a film franchise. The method Marvel is using is more similar to that of a TV show, in which your showrunner and writers are more important than your directors. For this reason, I don't think Auteur Theory really applies to what Marvel Studios is doing. Just with a bigger budget and extended screentime. Sure, some MCU films turn out better than others, but every TV also has poor episodes every now and then. Even great ones.