• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Protesting an establishment and my legal boundaries

Sloth7d

Escapist
Reaction score
Okay, hypothetically speaking, let's say I want to protest an establishment, and hypthetically speaking let's say I'm not used to forming protests, in fact, hypothetically speaking, this would be my first one so I'm not familiar with the legal boundaries one can take when forming a protest. Where would I go about finding the do's and don'ts of my freedoms and liberties when it pertains to accumulating a protest in front of an establishment, and would those liberties compromise depending on the state I live in, (which is Maryland by the way)?

Okay, hypothetically speaking, let's say I want to protest an establishment, and hypthetically speaking let's say I'm not used to forming protests, in fact, hypothetically speaking, this would be my first one so I'm not familiar with the legal boundaries one can take when forming a protest. Where would I go about finding the do's and don'ts of my freedoms and liberties when it pertains to accumulating a protest in front of an establishment, and would those liberties compromise depending on the state I live in, (which is Maryland by the way)?

It depends on which establishment you are protesting, and whether that protest would be considered trespassing. Protests in front of government buildings are usually accepted, though public school grounds are often a tricky matter considering you are allowed to protest as long as it does not interfere with the educational environment [which basically means that all protests can be dissolved by the school administration or local police].

Protests in front of businesses are the most tricky. While you can definitely protest from afar, you may not be able to do so on their private property, as that can be considered trespassing. Protesting on a sidewalk, however, is possible.

Additionally, a protest which results in violence or any other activity which could be considered "disrupting the peace" will most likely result in legal action against you and your party.

Hypothetically speaking, it's pretty obvious this isn't hypothetical at all.

It depends on which establishment you are protesting, and whether that protest would be considered trespassing. Protests in front of government buildings are usually accepted, though public school grounds are often a tricky matter considering you are allowed to protest as long as it does not interfere with the educational environment [which basically means that all protests can be dissolved by the school administration or local police].

Protests in front of businesses are the most tricky. While you can definitely protest from afar, you may not be able to do so on their private property, as that can be considered trespassing. Protesting on a sidewalk, however, is possible.

Additionally, a protest which results in violence or any other activity which could be considered "disrupting the peace" will most likely result in legal action against you and your party.

Thanks for the info. So, if it's a club, hypothetically speaking, how tricky would you say that would be, in legal terms? I'm guessing I'd definitly have to protest across the street, right, else I'll be considered interfering with the flow of the line? If someone from the club tries to stop me, even though I'm across the street, what are my rights against him?

Hypothetically speaking, if it is a gay club, I will offer no more advice on the matter.

Come on man, assuming that I have a problem with gay people is a pretty low blow.

Come on man, assuming that I have a problem with gay people is a pretty low blow.

Well, it's obviously something you don't want to broadcast, so it's safe to assume it's something offensive that most of us here wouldn't approve of.

Just say what you're trying to protest against, what are you so afraid of?

Well, it's obviously something you don't want to broadcast, so it's safe to assume it's something offensive that most of us here wouldn't approve of.

Just say what you're trying to protest against, what are you so afraid of?

It's basically a piece of **** club that requires black people to dress in clothes so tight that they look like emos, but white people and others can dress loose with no complications. I went to the club last night, abiding by the dress code. I had my t shirt tucked in these extremely tight boot cut pants I was wearing to get in. But the guy asked me to untuck my t-shirt to check to see if even an inch of my boxers was showing. I did, but consequently it pulled up my boxers in the process. Image that.:whatever: Something I suspect the guy knew would happen if you can even add 2 + 2 together. So the guy straight up denies my passage. I ask him if to give me a second to fix myself, after all, you JUST asked me to pull my shirt out of my pants so of course I'm going to looked flustered for even second. But the guy doesn't care. Once he's denied me he doesn't want to see me again that night, even if I fix myself up or change my clothes, AGAIN. So, whatever, I usually take **** like this in stride, which I shouldn't because I've been the constant target of bullies my enitre freaking life. But it's also my friends birthday that night (he's white btw), just turning 21, and he doesn't want to go into the club unless I can get in. So, in the end, our night's a total bust, and I feel bad for it, though I shouldn't. However, I do, and I'm stressed, especially because I've been taking **** like this from jerks like that for my entire life without striking back. This time, I don't want to quietly walk away and hope karma smacks him in the rear saddle. This time, I want to become an annoyance and let those individuals know I'm pissed. That's all I'm saying.

Protest nowadays seems to moot.
No one else thinks that it defeats the whole point of protesting when the government dictates how you should conduct yourself during one?

So you gather outside of some major summit with your Fawkes mask and your clevery crafted protest sign and your rehearsed chants... All the while everything they set out to do gets done, they look down at you from their offices and laugh, the media spins you as a bunch of misguided, dirty hippies, and if you get the least bit agitated be sure that you'll get stomped on by the cops.

It gets to be pretty ****ing pathetic when you think about it.

It's basically a piece of **** club that requires black people to dress in clothes so tight that they look like emos, but white people and others can dress loose with no complications. I went to the club last night, abiding by the dress code. I had my t shirt tucked in these extremely tight boot cut pants I was wearing to get in. But the guy asked me to untuck my t-shirt to check to see if even an inch of my boxers was showing. I did, but consequently it pulled up my boxers in the process. Image that.:whatever: Something I suspect the guy knew would happen if you can even add 2 + 2 together. So the guy straight up denies my passage. I ask him if to give me a second to fix myself, after all, you JUST asked me to pull my shirt out of my pants so of course I'm going to looked flustered for even second. But the guy doesn't care. Once he's denied me he doesn't want to see me again that night, even if I fix myself up or change my clothes, AGAIN. So, whatever, I usually take **** like this in stride, which I shouldn't because I've been the constant target of bullies my enitre freaking life. But it's also my friends birthday that night (he's white btw), just turning 21, and he doesn't want to go into the club unless I can get in. So, in the end, our night's a total bust, and I feel bad for it, though I shouldn't. However, I do, and I'm stressed, especially because I've been taking **** like this from jerks like that for my entire life without striking back. This time, I don't want to quietly walk away and hope karma smacks him in the rear saddle. This time, I want to become an annoyance and let those individuals know I'm pissed. That's all I'm saying.

Go to a payphone near the club and place an anonymous phone call to the police that they are selling meth to their patrons and possibly manufacturing it in the back. The cops will take care of the rest. And remember the words of Groucho Marx, who said "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." *raises fist*

jag

The best way to protest an establishment that isn't doing anything illegal is to stop going there. Also get all your friends to stop going there. Talk to the local news about why you don't go there. Write a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.

Protests are about as useless as clubs like this one. The only people who will care about it are the ones you're protesting with. Besides if those guys are jerks then they probably don't care about legal ramifications of telling you to sit on a stick and forcing you to leave.

In any case, good luck.

Clubs have the right to refuse entry into their establishment

I agree that protesting doesn't really work... Especially when it would just be you doing it, as far as I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"