Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I know what unique means, he wasn't the only person to have someone they loved killed by Manson so by the dictionary description the term unique doesn't apply and you used it incorrectly, for someone or something to be unique they/it have to be the one and only, he wasn't and thus isn't unique.

I didn't imply it I flat out said him surviving the Holocaust has no bearing on the choice to rape a child, it's an excuse like the same excuses for people that shoot up schools and other such attrocities, having something tragic or horrible happen to you is never an excuse to do horrific things to other people, the idea that surviving the Holocaust somehow creates a circumstance by which he'd be inclined to rape a kid is insulting to the people that survived the Holocaust and lived as good people in the wake of the horror.

You're allowed to believe what you want. But Roman Polanski came into this world just like you and me and all of these hypothetical "survivors of horror who lived good lives" that you continue to reference abstractly. He's not a demon or a boogeyman. Once upon a time he was a newborn baby and then he was a rapist. If you would like to turn a blind eye to what happened in between, carry on.

You're allowed to believe what you want. But Roman Polanski came into this world just like you and me and all of these hypothetical "survivors of horror who lived good lives" that you continue to reference abstractly. He's not a demon or a boogeyman. Once upon a time he was a newborn baby and then he was a rapist. If you would like to turn a blind eye to what happened in between, carry on.

They aren't imaginary people, there are people who have lived through heartbreaking tragedy all over the world who don't then go and do horrific things to other people, I happen to know somone personally who lost their familiy through the fault of someone else, to my knowledge they haven't raped or murdered someone as a resiult. There are no demons or bogeymen, they are creatures of fiction, but there are evil people who do evil things, and then someone tries to explain it away and build an excuse for them, I'm not turning a blind eye to anything, I'm saying that him surviving the Holocaust has zero bearing on raping a child, because it doesn't.

Getting it worse recently than Polanski on social media, yes. But that in a way has to do with how recent the Uma thing happened. I'll admit to that, but it is still odd to me the recent Polanski incident didn't take twitter by storm, there was nothing malicious on my part by saying that, just did not make it more clear the first time.
Maybe because there is no argument over Polanski, at least not anymore? But a reason I think Polanski and even Allen have had slow reactions or less in general to them is how many things stars have said in the past. The fact that so many have to deal with the fact that they decided to work with them. Look at Winslet and how she has tried to handle it.

With Thurman, I look at Chastain's words and see why it has got so much traction. It goes to how women are treated in the industry. How devalued even the female stars are compared to their male counterparts. And because of that, it goes right alongside MeToo. It goes right alongside TimesUp.

Many people suffer through great tragedy everyday. That does not make them rape children or do any other horrible things.

Exactly, it's complete hore**** used to try and excuse the horrific actions of someone.

Maybe because there is no argument over Polanski, at least not anymore? But a reason I think Polanski and even Allen have had slow reactions or less in general to them is how many things stars have said in the past. The fact that so many have to deal with the fact that they decided to work with them. Look at Winslet and how she has tried to handle it.

With Thurman, I look at Chastain's words and see why it has got so much traction. It goes to how women are treated in the industry. How devalued even the female stars are compared to their male counterparts. And because of that, it goes right alongside MeToo. It goes right alongside TimesUp.

Eh, Chastain likes to jump the gun, but that is discussion for the other thread.

And?

That just gives them a pass and enables them.

Are you enabling them if you already own their movies though? No snark here but that's something I struggle with personally with all this. American Beauty is my all time favorite movie and it means a great deal to me, and I don't let Kevin Spacey ruin it for me. I'm not planning on seeing any Spacey films going forward, but is me owning that movie enabling him?

I'm sure a lot of us in this thread own Tarantino movies and apparently separating art with artist isn't okay with a lot of people anymore.

Are you enabling them if you already own their movies though? No snark here but that's something I struggle with personally with all this. American Beauty is my all time favorite movie and it means a great deal to me, and I don't let Kevin Spacey ruin it for me. I'm not planning on seeing any Spacey films going forward, but is me owning that movie enabling him?

I'm sure a lot of us in this thread own Tarantino movies and apparently separating art with artist isn't okay with a lot of people anymore.

This makes me torn, also. Because Kevin Spacey is not the only person who worked hard on American Beauty. So many others did, also. Same goes for all these types of scenarios.

If you already own the movie before you knew what they'd done, then no, you aren't contributing to them continuing to weild power by putting money in their pocket after you know what type of peson they are.

As for watching it after the fact, that just comes down to whether the person can stomach it or not, like I have watched a Chris Benoit match since he killed his family, I know people that can't, I personally am glad I saw Baby Driver before the Spacey stuff came out, but I wouldn't feel comfortable watching it again.

If you already own the movie before you knew what they'd done, then no, you aren't contributing to them continuing to weild power by putting money in their pocket after you know what type of peson they are.

As for watching it after the fact, that just comes down to whether the person can stomach it or not, like I have watched a Chris Benoit match since he killed his family, I know people that can't, I personally am glad I saw Baby Driver before the Spacey stuff came out, but I wouldn't feel comfortable watching it again.

Chris Benoit is a good example that I didn't consider until just now. I have his autograph. I have it stored away and haven't looked at it in years because I can't believe the same guy who signed something for me in a Denny's parking lot did what he did. But for movies, so many other people worked hard on them. Is it fair to the other actors to let one actor/director ruin it?

It's a slippery slope.

Chris Benoit is a good example that I didn't consider until just now. I have his autograph. I have it stored away and haven't looked at it in years because I can't believe the same guy who signed something for me in a Denny's parking lot did what he did. But for movies, so many other people worked hard on them. Is it fair to the other actors to let one actor/director ruin it?

It's a slippery slope.

I struggle with this same question.

It's a slippery slope.

In the case of Benoit I have always taken what the results said about the damage to his brain that was essentially that of an alzheimers patient, I live with that illness up close every day and I know how it completely changes a person to someone else, so with that I think he essentially wasn't the same person anymore when he did what he did. With a movie like you say there are others involved, and if you own it already I don't think watching it again means anything one way or the other, it just comes down if you can look at the person in question, especially if they are the star of it so featured a lot, and put that aside to enjoy the film.

Given the Howard Stern interview, is it possible he gets kicked off of Star Trek?

There's been absolutely no valid reason to kick him off any project.

Given the Howard Stern interview, is it possible he gets kicked off of Star Trek?

I doubt it, it'll probably be a year or so before we hear anything more about the film, and add another year or two before it actually starts getting marketed (and it could take longer, assuming it even gets made at all). No one will be talking about this anymore by then. If Tarantino leaves the project it'll almost certainly be of his own accord. Yes, he says terrible s*** in that interview, but if Tarantino being an a**hole who articulates his thoughts with all the subtlety of a brick was a problem his career would've fallen apart a long time ago. That leaves this whole thing at an on set accident that Thurman doesn't hold a grudge against him for. On set accidents are terrible, and it could have been prevented, but I have no reason to think Tarantino didn't learn from it, since it hasn't happened since. and as questionable as some of his other on set behavior seems with doing the choking and spitting himself, it was done with the permission of the actresses. Since being an a**hole isn't a crime I don't think that this is something Tarantino should have his career actively punished for.

Last edited:
Its not about articulating his thoughts. Its his opinion on what qualifies as rape with a 13 year old girl that is insane.

Its not about articulating his thoughts. Its his opinion on what qualifies as rape with a 13 year old girl that is insane.

I do mostly agree with you there, his talk about how she wanted it and other comments are disgusting, but as others stated in the thread I also think there's semantics at work in regards to the actual term "rape" and how Tarantino interprets that word and fails to artciulate that, even if he is by definition wrong. Though legally speaking, yes, no matter the circumstance, what Polanski did absolutely does fall under statutory rape and is horrible and completely indefensible.

There's been absolutely no valid reason to kick him off any project.

It's not about if QT really did anything really. Filmmaking is a business, and if Paramount sees that having him attached to the movie will lead to them not being able to turn a profit, then they would cancel the project.

Meanwhile I'm seeing on reddit movies pictures of Hillary Duff as Tate in some movie?

Leave that woman alone Hollywood :/

And I may have made the mistake of assuming that these discussions are taking place because people want to find a way to end this abusive behavior. If we cast every offender into exile, if we make them Other, then the cycle can never be broken. We need to gaze into the ugliness of their actions. We need to study it. We need to understand them. As I've said before, no child has ever come out the womb with horns and a forked tongue. These are human beings. Somewhere along the way they were damaged or poisoned by a culture. Monsters are not born; we all create our monsters.

If you are not interested in understanding a transgressor, then you are only interested in virtue signaling. You are not interested in investigating these very human problems. You are only interested in finding a tribe. Not unlike the people who wore Patriots or Eagles regalia this past weekend, you want everyone to know that you belong to a group of winners or to a group righteous thinkers.

At least football fans are honest about the fact that, ultimately, their games don't matter.

And I may have made the mistake of assuming that these discussions are taking place because people want to find a way to end this abusive behavior. If we cast every offender into exile, if we make them Other, then the cycle can never be broken. We need to gaze into the ugliness of their actions. We need to study it. We need to understand them. As I've said before, no child has ever come out the womb with horns and a forked tongue. These are human beings. Somewhere along the way they were damaged or poisoned by a culture. Monsters are not born; we all create our monsters.

If you are not interested in understanding a transgressor, then you are only interested in virtue signaling. You are not interested in investigating these very human problems. You are only interested in finding a tribe. Not unlike the people who wore Patriots or Eagles regalia this past weekend, you want everyone to know that you belong to a group of winners or to a group righteous thinkers.

At least football fans are honest about the fact that, ultimately, their games don't matter.

We have jails for people who commit transgressions and laws for those that break them. If you break the law and don't serve the penalty given to you, then I have no sympathy for you. For a different example, someone like Mike Vick or the guy who did that Jeepers Creepers movie at least did their time (of which I do not excuse their behavior either, but they at least faced their consequences). Polanski ran away. Is learning what makes bad people tick important? Yes, but that also doesn't excuse their actions or absolve them of wrong doing once we find out the cause. At the end of the day, he did what he did. Nothing is ever going to change that, and that to me is important to note.

I never said I wanted to absolve him. I guess I'm the only one here interested in the larger questions.

How does assigning consequences for bad behavior prevent us from studying the transgressors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"